Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

TEXANS ATTEMPTING A REBOUND AGAINST THE RAVENS IN WEEK 2

I don't know if it's that simple, I would give the Ravens the same advantage as a team over the Texans that the Chiefs had. The Ravens have talent and an identity that they execute well. The coaching is not even worth mentioning. But this is the NFL (any given Sunday) right? I'm rooting for the Texans to pull the upset and "shake up the world" in my Ali voice.

Don't forget, BO'b has not lost back to back games since 2018.

Clint Stoerner made a great point the other day regarding DW4 that I’ve actually long suspected with him. He needs to get better reading long to short. He tends to stay on the deep route reads too long. This is what happened on the int in the KC game. He held the ball way too long trying to get it downfield and if u watch that play on the All-22, you can see DJ31 standing all alone as his check down; would’ve been at least a 15 yard gain if he checks it down to him. He has to learn that If the deep route isn’t there, he HAS to check it down and get it to his playmakers.

see screenshot of the all-22 below

View attachment 6643

On this particular play, though, the deep guy (Cooks) does get open. The safety bites on the under, opening up the deep receiver.

DW knows he has 6 blockers against 5 pass rushers. I want him to trust his protection, rather than check down. We are down 17, late in the 3rd... f' it. Take some chances!

Did you happen to catch last weeks game? No run game to speak of and threw dimes on outs and deep shots outside the hashes.

i actually love it because this will be the year Lamar erases all doubt as a passer. Leading the league in QBR and touchdown passes wasn’t enough because he didn’t feel the need to play outside of what our offense does. People are basically saying Lamar is only good because of play-action and his legs. Even though When other Qb’s use play-action well they are gods.

Also I love the fact that people say Tennessee exposed the ravens. That’s hilarious because Lamar was the only one who played worth a damn. He counted for over 500 yards and three touchdowns, he had two interceptions, and a fumble. What they don’t talk about is how our number one running back was out of that game, and nobody else around him played like they were worth anything. Mark Andrews was injured, Mark Ingram was injured, so Lamar was working with weapons that wouldn’t make some teams practice squad. We addressed that this year.

The whole narrative is bunk anyway, people said that Lamar would be nothing after San Diego figured him out, and they showed everybody how to stop him. All he does is the following year and go to lead the league in most passing statistical categories, becomes a second ever unanimous MVP, and puts together the best record in the NFL. So I really do enjoy people saying he got exposed, because when they do he tends to come back next year with a vengeance.

In case nobody noticed he went 20 for 25 passing 275 yards, three touchdowns, no interceptions, and half those passes Over 10 yards, of those over 10 yards 3/4 of those were over 25 in the air. Out of all of those he hit the Deep hash throws no less than five times. Two to Snead, two the Marquise Brown, and one to Mark Andrews. If your banking on him not being able to pass I think you’re going to be disappointed.
I like Lamar, like him alot, but those yards where empty calories. When game was In question, he was bad. When Tennessee got up on them, he did nothing, just like vs KC. Game was over and they couldn't score when it mattered. If you allow him to throw into open windows in the hash marks, he will kill you all day.

For the amount of cap space he eats up , we should be asking for the moon and the stars .... not just the occasional comet.
I said as much in one of my posts, buf that only applies for this year.

And sadly, it only applies because the HC and the GM collude to overpay to try to save their "collective" chins.

They don't have to even win the division to stay for another season or two to collect the paycheck.

Regardless, I don't see it as a subpar game; the kid can't walk on water while carrying OB on his shoulder. Nobody can't.
Wait, he did. He won the game.

Oh, and I just remember that his cap space isn't going to be all that much this year either, so your wanting all of the otherwordly stuffs will have to wait. :corrosion:

Last edited:
On this particular play, though, the deep guy (Cooks) does get open. The safety bites on the under, opening up the deep receiver.

DW knows he has 6 blockers against 5 pass rushers. I want him to trust his protection, rather than check down. We are down 17, late in the 3rd... f' it. Take some chances!

while you are right about Cooks coming open late in that play, that wasn’t the time to do that then....plus he stared Cooks down the entire way. You can tell this B/C cooks is the only WR on that side.

A check down there still nets us at least a 12 yard gain..likely 15 yds with DJ31 out there by himself..DW4 has to learn thats a big play also.

while you are right about Cooks coming open late in that play, that wasn’t the time to do that then....plus he stared Cooks down the entire way. You can tell this B/C cooks is the only WR on that side.

A check down there still nets us at least a 12 yard gain..likely 15 yds with DJ31 out there by himself..DW4 has to learn thats a big play also.

If his progression there is long to short, he knows Cooks is going to come open, he knows he has more blockers than pass rushers... then he made the correct decision in my book. I want an aggressive QB, not a "Checkdown Charlie".

BTW, in the past two seasons, he has the 7th highest checkdown rate in the league. He goes to his checkdown quite often.

If his progression there is long to short, he knows Cooks is going to come open, he knows he has more blockers than pass rushers... then he made the correct decision in my book. I want an aggressive QB, not a "Checkdown Charlie".

BTW, in the past two seasons, he has the 7th highest checkdown rate in the league. He goes to his checkdown quite often.
Last and too late.

I like Lamar, like him alot, but those yards where empty calories. When game was In question, he was bad. When Tennessee got up on them, he did nothing, just like vs KC. Game was over and they couldn't score when it mattered. If you allow him to throw into open windows in the hash marks, he will kill you all day.

Biggest difference in that game is the Ravens failed to convert on 4th and shorts that they converted on the entire yr.

I'm pretty sure his last ACL was injured in practice. Do you know for sure he was practicing an RPO?

From my post yesterday:
******************************************************************************************************
As far as the ACL, as I posted real-time, Watson partially tore his 2nd ACL during the Seahawks regular season game..............he then completed the tear in the subsequent practice running an RPO drill.

In college, in 2014, Watson partially tore his ACL, missed one game and then played the next game in a rivalry game against South Carolina, where he completed his ACL tear.
******************************************************************************************************

Even the Texans medical staff felt that Watson originally partially tore his ACL in the Seattle game. The only reason they didn't/couldn't definitely say that it was, is that they never bothered examining his knee during the game in which it happened (or at any time prior to his subsequent practice). Upon full review, by one week later they deduced what had really happened, and it was reported it in the only way they could.

Well, this is now a local game for me lol. Thankfully we missed Laura and today’s weather is the nicest it’s been (probably) since May. Bluebird skies and 76° right now. Looks like rain at game time, though. Oh well. At least no fans will get wet lol.
When Baltimore drafted Jackson in the first round I will freely admit I was a big doubter. I think the NFL is littered with the carcasses of great college QB’s who could not transition to the pros. Heisman trophy or not. I was pleased with the W’s after Lamar took over from Flacco and propelled the Ravens into the post-season, but the loss to the Chargers brought out my doubting hat again. Then he looked fantabulous in 2019 but the Ravens lost in the playoffs again to the Titans. This time my doubting hat got relegated to the back of my closet.
I don’t doubt Lamar any more. He learns. And then adapts and progresses. And boy, he wants nothing more than to win. Personal accolades are great, but he’d trade them all in for hoisting a Lombardi. He can run. He can pass...accurately. He can read through progressions quick and make decisions. And still is learning as he goes. Unless he becomes injured, I think he is going to have a long, successful career in the Purple and Black. I would not doubt him any more.
Today? My guess is Ravens 37-Texans 24. I believe Houston will play Baltimore tough all game long but in the long run, the Ravens have too many weapons on offense to stop for four quarters.

Well, this is now a local game for me lol. Thankfully we missed Laura and today’s weather is the nicest it’s been (probably) since May. Bluebird skies and 76° right now. Looks like rain at game time, though. Oh well. At least no fans will get wet lol.
When Baltimore drafted Jackson in the first round I will freely admit I was a big doubter. I think the NFL is littered with the carcasses of great college QB’s who could not transition to the pros. Heisman trophy or not. I was pleased with the W’s after Lamar took over from Flacco and propelled the Ravens into the post-season, but the loss to the Chargers brought out my doubting hat again. Then he looked fantabulous in 2019 but the Ravens lost in the playoffs again to the Titans. This time my doubting hat got relegated to the back of my closet.
I don’t doubt Lamar any more. He learns. And then adapts and progresses. And boy, he wants nothing more than to win. Personal accolades are great, but he’d trade them all in for hoisting a Lombardi. He can run. He can pass...accurately. He can read through progressions quick and make decisions. And still is learning as he goes. Unless he becomes injured, I think he is going to have a long, successful career in the Purple and Black. I would not doubt him any more.
Today? My guess is Ravens 37-Texans 24. I believe Houston will play Baltimore tough all game long but in the long run, the Ravens have too many weapons on offense to stop for four quarters.
Welcome back Daravenator!

Why the Ravens’ offense is so tough to stop
Aaron Wilson Sep. 19, 2020 Updated: Sep. 19, 2020 10:35 p.m.

Texans vs. Ravens: John McClain's scouting report
John McClain Sep. 18, 2020 Updated: Sep. 18, 2020 12 p.m.

John McClain breaks down the matchups in Sunday's Texans-Ravens game at NRG Stadium.

When the Ravens run

They set an NFL record with 3,296 yards rushing last season. Lamar Jackson ran for 1,206, more than any quarterback in history. In their 38-6 victory over Cleveland on Sunday, the Ravens ran for only 111 yards, including 45 by Jackson. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman has designed runs for Jackson, which places even more pressure on the defense to try to bottle him up. In the Ravens’ 41-7 victory last season, backup running back Gus Edwards rushed for 112 yards, including a 63-yard run. Starter Mark Ingram didn’t hurt them running but caught two touchdown passes. The Ravens are four deep at running back, and they should be able to pound the ball consistently against a bad run defense. They ran for 256 yards against the Texans last season. That started a 10-game plunge in which the Texans have allowed 164 yards rushing, including 166 in the opening loss at Kansas City. This would be a good time for the Texans to reverse the trend of poor run defense. EDGE: Ravens.

When the Ravens pass

One reason Lamar Jackson was voted the NFL Most Valuable Player Award was his improved passing. He threw 36 touchdown passes compared to only six interceptions. He completed 66 percent. His rating was 113.3. He was also difficult to sack — 23 for 106 yards. In the first game against the Browns, he was 20 of 25 for 275 yards and three touchdowns. Two of his touchdown passes went to tight end Mark Andrews, who’s developed into one of the league’s best at his position. He excels in the red zone. Hollywood Brown is Jackson’s best deep threat. William Snead IV is another emerging receiver. Running back Mark Ingram has good hands and is utilized in the passing game. The offensive line, led by All-Pro left tackle Ronnie Stanley, is among the NFL’s best at run blocking. Jackson, who throws with a lot of confidence, has made tremendous improvement with his accuracy, especially on routes down the middle. EDGE: Ravens.

When the Texans run

With offensive coordinator Tim Kelly calling plays for the first time, the Texans ran 22 times for 118 yards and two touchdowns against the Chiefs, averaging 5.4 yards a carry. Kelly would like to run more, but they fell behind Kansas City 24-7 during the third quarter, and he couldn’t utilize the run as much. If it happens again, they’ll be in the same predicament. New running back David Johnson was the best thing about the offense. He ran 11 times for 77 yards and a 19-yard touchdown. As a runner and receiver, the coaches would like for Johnson to touch the ball at least 20 times a game. The Ravens have to worry about Deshaun Watson running. He’ll have a few designed runs, but most are out of desperation. He has 12 touchdowns rushing in his last two seasons. The Ravens were fifth against the run last season, and they’ve added veteran ends Calais Campbell and Derek Wolfe and inside linebacker Patrick Queen, their first-round pick, to a defense that was already terrific against the run. EDGE: Ravens.

When the Texans pass

THE REST OF THE STORY

Clint Stoerner made a great point the other day regarding DW4 that I’ve actually long suspected with him. He needs to get better reading long to short. He tends to stay on the deep route reads too long. This is what happened on the int in the KC game. He held the ball way too long trying to get it downfield and if u watch that play on the All-22, you can see DJ31 standing all alone as his check down; would’ve been at least a 15 yard gain if he checks it down to him. He has to learn that If the deep route isn’t there, he HAS to check it down and get it to his playmakers.

see screenshot of the all-22 below

View attachment 6643

The problem here is o'brien has never designed proper hot reads or checkdowns.

Some videos on Twitter showing this

A feature of obrien's offense is guys don't get open with the lame routes he draws up

The problem here is o'brien has never designed proper hot reads or checkdowns.

Some videos on Twitter showing this

A feature of obrien's offense is guys don't get open with the lame routes he draws up

Look at some of where the "routes" end up:

Thread, with videos, on how terrible the routes and hot routes are on watsons sacks:

BULLETIN: There is an 66% chance of rain and an 15 mph winds predicted for a 70 degree game time. The Texans are discussing keeping NRG's roof open in search of trying something new to gain some sort of significant home field advantage..............any advantage. The Texans are reported to have ordered custom rubber-spiked galoshes for each of their players, including additionally-modified ones for their kicker and punter, in anticipation of this highly strategic move. :texflag:

• Haha
Reactions: JB
BULLETIN: There is an 66% chance of rain and an 15 mph winds predicted for a 70 degree game time. The Texans are discussing keeping NRG's roof open in search of trying something new to gain some sort of significant home field advantage..............any advantage. The Texans are reported to have ordered galoshes for each of their players, including modified ones for their kicker and punter, in anticipation of this highly strategic move. :texflag:

Better than the 100 + degree heat open roof strategy they used against the Steelers way back when.

I never said he was so great.
The point remains: You over-expect. :):smiliedance:

No , I don't.

I don't expect him to be consistent or extend drives , I expect what he's done in the past which is boom or bust , just enough to give the illusion that keeps this argument going.

But the All-22 paints a grim picture. Locking onto one target , holding the ball when there are easy plays , missing countless open opportunities.

BULLETIN: There is an 66% chance of rain and an 15 mph winds predicted for a 70 degree game time. The Texans are discussing keeping NRG's roof open in search of trying something new to gain some sort of significant home field advantage..............any advantage. The Texans are reported to have ordered custom rubber-spiked galoshes for each of their players, including additionally-modified ones for their kicker and punter, in anticipation of this highly strategic move. :texflag:
You mean they actually open it? I wonder if it's even opened for maintenance purposes. It would be pretty cool to have it open if/when they allow the extremely reduced amount of fans.

Look at some of where the "routes" end up:

Thread, with videos, on how terrible the routes and hot routes are on watsons sacks:

I think this happens often. Yes, DW4 can hold the ball too long, but I feel like, even when we had Hopkins, that we struggled to get guys open frequently. Is it the players? The scheme? All of the above? All I know is that we aren't going anywhere if our offense continues to have these issues.

I think this happens often. Yes, DW4 can hold the ball too long, but I feel like, even when we had Hopkins, that we struggled to get guys open frequently. Is it the players? The scheme? All of the above? All I know is that we aren't going anywhere if our offense continues to have these issues.
Count me in the scheme camp. It’s been the same problems for years with a multitude of QBs since OB has been here.

Maybe on this one, but really we don't want to be checking down all the time

You have to take what's there ... That easy pitch and catch probably goes for a 1st down at least.

This is another of those tendencies that DC's have picked up on.

In this link you posted its also a Watson failure - Freeze the frame multiple times between 4 and 5 seconds , it'll become clear - Two guys are easy pickings - the TE has inside leverage with nothing over the top while the ILB is leaning to the WR on the opposite side and the RB is uncovered.

The TE window closes very quickly the RB is open a bit longer. This is how fast decisions must be made by an NFL QB. Windows close quickly as defenders recover.

That sack is on Watson.

For the amount of cap space he eats up , we should be asking for the moon and the stars .... not just the occasional comet.

You mean we should be asking for a complete team to be put around the comet and a competent GM and HC to get this task done. This lone comet cannot cover the other 21 positions on the field. Worth noting, this offense just isn't geared, nor will it ever be geared to run up scores to cover for one of the worst NFL defenses.

You have to take what's there ... That easy pitch and catch probably goes for a 1st down at least.

In this link you posted its also a Watson failure - Freeze the frame multiple times between 4 and 5 seconds , it'll become clear - Two guys are easy pickings - the TE has inside leverage with nothing over the top while the ILB is leaning to the WR on the opposite side and the RB is uncovered.

The TE window closes very quickly the RB is open a bit longer. This is how fast decisions must be made by an NFL QB. Windows close quickly as defenders recover.

That sack is on Watson.
The TE is not open because the play design was for him to sit down at the yard marker. Had he kept running down the seam (something we never do), Watson would have had a chance to hit him. It was 2 secs from snap to pressure, the pressure came from the RB side and Watson didn’t have enough time to run through his progression and make a read to the RB to throw it. Seeing anything other than bad route combinations and no scheme to pickup delayed blitzes would be wrong.

That sack is on Watson.

Need to look at the entire thread.

Freeze frame scouting isn't accurate. Anyone can do that after the fact and misinterpret what's happening

The TE is not open because the play design was for him to sit down at the yard marker. Had he kept running down the seam (something we never do), Watson would have had a chance to hit him. It was 2 secs from snap to pressure, the pressure came from the RB side and Watson didn’t have enough time to run through his progression and make a read to the RB to throw it. Seeing anything other than bad route combinations and no scheme to pickup delayed blitzes would be wrong.

We can only make that assumption based off of what we see happen after the play breaks down.
If Watson lets it fly when the TE has his man beat , he doesn't sit down at the marker - That's a big play. That throw has to be made very quickly.

And then there's the RB .... on the same side of the field wide open , easy pitch and catch.

You mean we should be asking for a complete team to be put around the comet and a competent GM and HC to get this task done. This lone comet cannot cover the other 21 positions on the field. Worth noting, this offense just isn't geared, nor will it ever be geared to run up scores to cover for one of the worst NFL defenses.

Except .... the idea that its all OB's fault or the OL is broken is just incorrect.

Take a look at the two plays above in @TheKDog 's post complaining about the routes and its clear that isn't the problem. There are opportunities and Watson misses them or overlooks them.

The video speaks volumes - Even video where the narrative is its OB / OL .... It isn't.
Need to look at the entire thread.

Freeze frame scouting isn't accurate. Anyone can do that after the fact and misinterpret what's happening

How do you think NFL coaches break down film ? .... I've had the opportunity to do this with some of the best in the game spanning 35+ years.

We can only make that assumption based off of what we see happen after the play breaks down.
If Watson lets it fly when the TE has his man beat , he doesn't sit down at the marker - That's a big play. That throw has to be made very quickly.

And then there's the RB .... on the same side of the field wide open , easy pitch and catch.

Except .... the idea that its all OB's fault or the OL is broken is just incorrect.

Take a look at the two plays above in @TheKDog 's post complaining about the routes and its clear that isn't the problem. There are opportunities and Watson misses them or overlooks them.

The video speaks volumes - Even video where they narrative is its OB / OL .... It isn't.

How do you think NFL coaches break down film ? .... I've had the opportunity to do this with some of the best in the game spanning 35+ years.

Experienced people watching tape is one thing.

People posting .jpg and saying "HE WAS OPEN!!!!!" is another

I've seen some bad "freeze frame scouting" on here. Like people think Watson should throw it to carlos hyde at the line of scrimmage. Really?

The video speaks volumes - Even video where the narrative is its OB / OL .... It isn't.

You better slow the video down and take another look. The TE is clearly dropping down into a comeback route before Watson is on the move. His defender is trailing him and is in perfect position to defend a pass if throw. Had he kept running, he would have been open down the seam. based on how he ran his route, how we NEVER hit TE’s down the seam, and the fact Watson doesn’t even attempt to throw it, we can very easily conclude he ran the route called which was a comeback route, like the other wideouts did. It is a staple of our stupid offense.

The RB is always open in the flats for a small period of time, if you want Watson to throw to them more often, fine, but don’t celebrate when he is making big time plays Down the field avoiding the pass rush. You don’t get to have it both ways.

You better slow the video down and take another look. The TE is clearly dropping down into a comeback route before Watson is on the move. His defender is trailing him and is in perfect position to defend a pass if throw. Had he kept running, he would have been open down the seam. based on how he ran his route, how we NEVER hit TE’s down the seam, and the fact Watson doesn’t even attempt to throw it, we can very easily conclude he ran the route called which was a comeback route, like the other wideouts did. It is a staple of our stupid offense.

The RB is always open in the flats for a small period of time, if you want Watson to throw to them more often, fine, but don’t celebrate when he is making big time plays Down the field avoiding the pass rush. You don’t get to have it both ways.

We'll just have to agree to disagree ....

I'll say this - My opinion isn't a popular one right now but as evidence mounts , more and more will come around to the same conclusion.

No , I don't.

I don't expect him to be consistent or extend drives , I expect what he's done in the past which is boom or bust , just enough to give the illusion that keeps this argument going.

But the All-22 paints a grim picture. Locking onto one target , holding the ball when there are easy plays , missing countless open opportunities.
You're having it both ways.
You are down on the HC/OC, you think Watson can play better in another system (for another HC), then you'd have to agree that the results will be better then.
It's a moot point to talk about it with OB still here, so I'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'll say this - My opinion isn't a popular one right now but as evidence mounts , more and more will come around to the same conclusion.
So far the evidence says we don’t understand the decisions DW4 makes. Hopefully more evidence will clarify the why.

I personally believe the game hasn’t slowed down for him yet. Unlike you, I believe it will when things start going his way. Receivers getting open when they’re expected to get open would go a long way towards that.

Think about the last catch Hopkins had last week. No one around him for the catch & no one between him & the end zone. Did Hopkins all of a sudden learn to run routes to get him WTF open, or was he finally in an offense that schemes players open? None of his catches were of the highlight reel variety we’ve grown to depend on here.

It would be nice when Watson sets protection he doesn’t have to worry about 5’5” safeties being made to look like Deacon Jones.

Watson has issues & he’s overcome a lot of them here. But he hasn’t had the benefit of a conducive learning environment.

You're having it both ways.
You are down on the HC/OC, you think Watson can play better in another system (for another HC), then you'd have to agree that the results will be better then.
It's a moot point to talk about it with OB still here, so I'll just have to agree to disagree.

I don't "think Watson WILL play better in another system" - I think its possible that another coach , system might be able to get more out of him.

He's got the physical tools - We aren't going to find a better option any time soon with no draft capital , locked into $110m in guaranteed money.

What they are doing isn't working , time to try something else before we admit to a $110m mistake.

Back