Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans 2014 OTAs begin May 27

I think bonner is a better player than Martin based on the college film. Looks like a more polished WR to me. I liked lemon better than Martin as well.

I think labhart has a chance to be better right away. Really, I don't think it'd be hard to upgrade Martin.

Dude isn't an aggressive player. He's timid and IMO that's why he doesn't play to his measurables. 4.42 combine 40 indicates a very fast player...39 inch vert is very nice. But that's without pads on and without other players trying to hit him.

I agree with 76 that Martin is better outside. But I think it's because he's farther away from those scary LBs and safeties.

Martin supposedly looks good every training camp in practice...ie when guys aren't trying to lay you out. Limited contact.

Get to the games and all of a sudden he develops gator arms. Can't catch...can't get open..can't run his routes as crisply.

Like I said, I'll never rule out a guy getting better. But based on what I've seen from him in the past, if he makes the team I'll be very disappointed because I don't think he's that good of a player (hell maybe getting cut will trigger him to be) and I think there are better players on the roster than him that we'd be letting go.
Yeah, I meant 4.42 speed, not 4.2 speed.
If he did have 4.2 speed, Kubiak was crazy not to let him run a few more deep routes.

Don't we still have Tim Jamison?

He's still on the roster. But last year, after returning from a week 6 2012 Achilles rupture, he only appeared briefly in 5 games with only 1 tackle. I would not be putting money down on him for this season, if he even makes it out of TC.

Yes

I also think Matthews will be playing DE alot.

I've been hearing that name more often as well. Like everyone knows though it's really difficult to meter in just shells and at 1/2 to 3/4 speed.

The proof will be in the pudding when these large, fast specimens put the pads on and commence pummeling one another. The cream will rise to the top.

Not only my line of thought but I think it fits here is the fact that O'Brien is not married to any of the incumbents and he also appears to be the type to make a decision based on production and I hope he stays that way.

I've been hearing that name more often as well. Like everyone knows though it's really difficult to meter in just shells and at 1/2 to 3/4 speed.

The proof will be in the pudding when these large, fast specimens put the pads on and commence pummeling one another. The cream will rise to the top.

Not only my line of thought but I think it fits here is the fact that O'Brien is not married to any of the incumbents and he also appears to be the type to make a decision based on production and I hope he stays that way.

You reminded me so I did a quick check on Football Outsiders and saw that he played 428 snaps on D and 163 on ST.
Being his fifth year, I think he should fill out the rotation just fine.

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
#Texans' O'Brien said team hasn't evaluated camp roster yet so it's too early to say whether team will have three or four QBs. #NFL

If the #Texans only bring three into camp, that means someone's going away soon. #NFL #Math

#Texans' O'Brien said he prefers to have three quarterbacks in training camp. Not sure if team will have four in camp. #NFL
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
OLB, DE, 3 tech and nose are all positions the #Texans are working with Clowney on. He's learning it package by package.

O'Brien hasn't decided whether he'll take 3 or 4 QBs to camp. Didn't say which he'd prefer. Did say only 3 can get reps each day. #Texans

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
O'Brien meets with groups of players each week to discuss happenings of team. Says this locker room is one of respect. #Texans

NFL sending officials to each team to go over locker room protocol. #Texans will have officials here next week.

Jim Bernhardt, Dir of Football Research, works on situational football & is liason with NFL. On gameday will follow tendencies, time mgmt.

O'Brien: Training camp is the true test for a FB, like Prosch, but anytime you can line up with FB is "a good thing." #Texans

Bill O'Brien on OTAs says #Texans are a little ahead of schedule on things like 2-min, behind schedule on red zone, on target for special teams.
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
O’Brien said it’s truly hard to get 4 QBs reps in camp. Really only 3 get reps in a practice. Doesn’t always make guys happy, but only way

O’Brien says all 4 #Texans QBs have been at the stadium 7 days a week. All competing against each other hard.

O’Brien says Clowney is getting better. Putting in extra time in areas like flexibility and working in training room and with Vrabel.

Mercilus getting better week-by-week, Sapp had another good day...

Dave Zangaro @DZangaro
"If you tired in the morning, he’s going to wake you up early. I love him. I love learning from him." Clowney on LBs coach Vrabel #Texans

"I just have to take care of the money, save it ... after I buy my mom something nice." -- Clowney on his big No. 1 pick contract #Texans

O'Brien says Director of Football Research Jim Bernhardt is knowledgeable. Helps them with situation football. Does a little of everything. [Special situations, liason with officials, in the booth.]

O'Brien said drafting FB Jay Prosch can help the offense. Said it's always good to have two-back sets. #Texans
PDS @PatDStat
Clowney said during his off time said he is in his notebook studying his notes on the defense. #Texans

With no contact OL and DL concentration is put on technique and steps. #Texans

O'Brien visits with players week to week to discuss ongoing happenings with the team. One week with vets another with rookies. #Texans

NFL is coming to Houston during Mandatory Mini-Camp to discuss policies, especially locker room. #Texans

Officials will be at #Texans OTAs on Wednesday and Friday.

O'Brien also feels that Whitney Mercilus has improved from the start of OTAs to now under Vrabel and Crennel. #Texans

O'Brien mentioned rookie OLB Jason Ankrah has had a strong OTAs to this point. #Texans

O'Brien feels the true test comes during training camp for fullbacks. #Texas

O'Brien feels he helped the team by drafting Prosch at fullback. Special teams and two back offense. #Texans

Bill O'Brien feels install wise the #Texans are ahead of schedule on 2 minute but behind on red zone.
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
QB Tom Savage, 4th round pick who comes real early and stays real late, had his best day in an OTA.

Case Keenum and TJ Yates had terrific preseasons last year.

Case Keenum is the most popular QB on team cause of his record-setting career at U of Houston. Hard worker. Great personality.

Yates was a Hollywood story as a rookie when he was 3rd string and injuries forced him to play and he clinched division and won playoff game

Keenum was 0-8 as a starter last season but looked good before injuries at RB and poor play in OL contributed to him looking bad.

Coaches satisfied with Clowney's progress so far. He's learning OLB and DE. He's also switching sides and going up and down. Lots mentally.

One thing I like about O'Brien is the way he meets with groups of players to bounce things off of them. He talks to players every day.

Expect Fitzpatrick to start. Savage, 4th-round pick, will be 3rd. Keenum or Yates will be 2nd. O'Brien will do one a favor by cutting before camp.

If Texans take 3 QBs to camp, Case Keenum or TJ Yates will be out. Ryan Fitzpatrick got $4 mil guaranteed. Rookie Tom Savage will be here.
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Most competitive figure 8 to watch...JJ Watt & Ricardo Mathews.

Funniest figure 8 to watch....Jerrell Powe being chased by Louis Nix III.

I was surprised by how well Jared Crick hugged the figure 8. Impossible for the player in pursuit to catch Crick.

[IMGwidthsize=450]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_3767--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=450]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_3772--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]

...has to immediately pursue after being lined up 2 yards behind at the top of the circle. Funny watching 300+ lbers play duck,duck, goose

Most fun drill to watch is the DL in pursuit of each other in a figure 8 around to very large circles. First player takes off & 2nd player..

Mentioned last year that AJ Bouye could be a ST ace similar to Kassim Osgood. Bouye still showing that form as a gunner.

Josh Victorian w/ the play of the day as he jumps an outside dig for an interception. Records a PBU on very next play vs Posey.

Couple quick #Texans OTAs notes

Last edited:
The player I wanna see the most improvement out of when the season begins is Whitney Mercilus. Dude needs to live up to his 1st round billing.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4544--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4566--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4571--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4575--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4648--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4730--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4741--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4819--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4821--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4822--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4868--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4887--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4892--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_4899--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com

tempBB1_4571--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Is that Trevardo?

Is he still hurt?

Trevardo's the one not dressed out in the background. IIRC, he's still nursing an ankle issue.

Trevardo is going to bust due to his many ankle issues.

I'm glad the Texans finally got a coach to do the time management stuff.

---(on how he sees the fullback position fitting in to the offense) “I think anytime you’re in the draft and you have a situation where you can help your team personnel-wise on offense by drafting a fullback like Prosch, and we also have Toben Opurum here too. I think that helps your football team. Training camp will be the true test for a fullback. It will help the toughness of your football team, it helps on special teams. A two-back running game is always a good thing. I think anytime you can line up in 21 personnel and run the football, and play action, it is a good thing

---(on his impression of Jadeveon Clowney transitioning to linebacker) “He’s really worked hard. That position has worked extremely hard just like all the positions. I think he’s a guy that’s come in here and really put in extra time so far. He needs to keep doing it. He’s put in extra time in the training room to work on his flexibility. He’s put in extra time on the practice field. He’s being coached very well by Mike Vrabel and Romeo Crennel.

I would say the same for all of those guys. Whitney (Mercilus) has gotten better every week. (Ricky) Sapp had a good week last week and looked like he had a decent day today. I think there are some young guys, (Jason) Ankrah from Nebraska looked like he’s been doing some good things. I think we are on the right track there, I think the whole linebacker position is on the right track.”

---(on if they teach the outside linebacker position to Jadeveon Clowney all at once or pieces at a time) “I think you teach it by package, so first thing you teach is how to play the Sam position, or the right outside linebacker, left outside linebacker position in the 3-4. You start with that. That’s what Romeo (Crennel) always does and I like that. There is a foundation there.

Then you move from there to the next package, which was nickel and then then next package, which was dime. Sometimes he moves around. He’s not always playing outside backer. Sometimes he’s an end. Sometimes he’s a three-technique. Sometimes he’s a nose. I think you do it by package so he can in his own mind, along with all the players that do those things, they can segment in their mind and understand the importance of each package. It’s not just Jadeveon.

It’s every player on our team—offense, defense—really has to learn it by personnel, by package. Again, it goes back to the versatility of the player. That’s what we’re trying to teach all these guys, to be versatile. The more you can do is better for the team.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...s-June-9/9bf3daf9-74fd-4b2b-a46f-58c60ab767ea

Sometimes JDC is a nose?

That is curious.

It might have been my imagination, but I think I've seen JC at the nose once in college.
Again, might have been my imagination, he was a non-factor on the play.

The thought is intriguing though.
When you have guys like Watt and JC who are so quick with their first step, they can "somewhat" control or manage two gaps where ever they line up.

It may not be at the nose, but I don't think it's out of the realism to have Watt at 3T and JC at 5T (like Antonio) and creating more havoc.
Maybe not in the first year, but it's intriguing just the same.

I really can't wait to see what RC has in store.

I hope to see more turnovers; that's for sure.

Sometimes JDC is a nose?

That is curious.

" I think you do it by package so he can in his own mind, along with all the players that do those things, they can segment in their mind and understand the importance of each package. It’s not just Jadeveon."

My emphasis.

He's talking about the installation. The question was about JD but OB wanted to talk about the process of installing the defense. This isn't just specific to him. A lot of the players are learning different spots on the field.

Situational football. Gotta be multiple and have players prepared for any scenario where you can take advantage of a matchup.

Also might just feeling out Jd... how does he react, how does he approach it? Does he give me 100% when I put him at the nose, or is he going to prove to me it's a bad idea?

Situational football. Gotta be multiple and have players prepared for any scenario where you can take advantage of a matchup.

Yep.

Different packages and personnel for different situations. Clowney is versatile enough to line up in different spots and do different things. Might as well take advantage of that.

Love it. If there's one thing at the top of Brady's hate list it's pressure up the middle.

Yep, first play of the UNC game is one.

I don't think JDC as nose is maximizing his ability. He'll just get swallowed up by the hogs on the inside. I'd bet he lines up there only to drop into a shallow zone or something along those lines. JDC doesn't have the girth to shift the LOS in close quarters such as a Mario Williams per say.

I don't think JDC as nose is maximizing his ability. He'll just get swallowed up by the hogs on the inside. I'd bet he lines up there only to drop into a shallow zone or something along those lines. JDC doesn't have the girth to shift the LOS in close quarters such as a Mario Williams per say.

JDC has a very fast get off. Maybe he shoots a gap on the inside, or maybe OBs plan is more to see what the OL has to scheme against a Nix or Bowe on the other side. On the fly, that's got to something for a QB/C/G to think about. Who knows, it's probably more of just a stunt, but I like the idea of them trying to think outside the box. If the OL has no idea how the DL is going to line up down to down, it could disrupt things. Especially if someone is beating an OL because they are quicker or bigger. It's all a guess, but RC is definitely trying to see what kind of tools he has in the shed. Multipurpose tools are always nice.

This likely would be for sure passing situations.

Clowney at the nose means he would be lined up inside Watt on passing downs. A DC can get creative with that combo, and I'd venture to say your OLB will benefit from all the attention needed between the tackles.

[IMGwidthsize=405]http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/HOU/0610-crennel-RC--nfl_thumb_270_152.jpg[/IMG]

RAC presser today, very unusual start...

All the media was asked to introduce themselves to Romeo one-by-one.

Now he's bringing everyone up to speed on how he got here and why?

Greg Bailey @GregBailey13
#Texans Crennel: you must be good up the middle in my defense. NT needs to command a double team. That allows everybody else to make plays.

#Texans Crennel: we will encourage David Quessenberry. We can help him beat lymphoma. Coach O'Brien knew something was going on with David.

#Texans Crennel: we have good players on defense. But everybody looks good in shorts. Put the pads on and we will see.

#texans Crennel on taking the Def. Coordinator job here: O'Brien is a football guy. This is a good team that lost close games in 4th qtr.

#Texans Romeo Crennel: I'm just an average hard working guy. Have you heard that before? With big laugh.
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Crennel on LB coach Mike Vrabel "I'm excited coaching with him like I was coaching him. I always feel good having him on my side."

Crennel on Cushing, who's not on the field but will be ready for camp "He's sharp but meetings aren't the same as being on the field."

Crennel on Clowney "He's coming along fine. He's studious. He's making rookie mistakes. His head's spinning like all our rookies."

Crennel on JJ Watt "He's pretty good. That's what I've noticed." He was laughing when he said it.

Crennel on Quessenberry "We have to support him and do everything we can to encourage and help him."

Crennel "training camp is when we really find out what we have cause everybody looks good in shorts."

When Romeo Crennel did his first group interview he asked reporters to introduce themselves. Haven't seen that in 35 years covering NFL.
Dave Zangaro @DZangaro
RAC says this business is about "what have you done for me lately? And I haven't done anything lately." #Texans

RAC says Clowney is a No. 1 but has to earn his spot. #Texans

Is Brooks Reed an inside linebacker now? "Well, not totally." -- RAC. Says they are looking at him inside.

"I have not seen a defense yet that can't use play-makers." RAC on Watt's style of play

Crennel said Louis Nix got his knee banged up early so he got a little behind. #Texans

RAC said coaching with Vrabel is just as special as it was to coach him. Said you never really know if a guy will be a coach while playing.

RAC says Clowney is studious but, like all rookies, is making rookie mistakes.

RAC says the NT is so important because a 3-4 team has to be good up the middle. #Texans

"He's pretty good, I think." -- Crennel on J.J. Watt

Crennel said O'Brien didn't think everything was "up to par" with Quessenberry.

Crennel points toward the close losses last season. Said he thought this was a good situation for him. #Texans
Drew Dougherty @DoughertyDrew
"I don't yell and scream as much as I used to." Crennel on how he's changed as a coach from his younger days. #Texans

Crennel: liked the "fight" he saw in #Texans late in games last season, despite the bad record.
Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
Crennel on his return to coaching: I haven't done anything lately. I have to get to work to get something to get done. #Texans

Crennel says Brooks Reed is getting a look at ILB: I feel like I can put him at either spot (OLB or ILB). He's a value to us. #Texans

Crennel on placing Watt in his defense: If you've got a playmaker, you're going to use him. You have to be flexible in the NFL. #Texans

Louis Nix III got banged up early in OTAs w/ a knee but has since returned. Crennel says he can tell Nix is a sharp guy. #Texans

Crennel on Cushing who is not practicing yet but is in meetings: "He's going to pick it up. I can tell that already." #Texans

Crennel says there is no real timetable for Jadeveon Clowney to pick up system. "He's making progress." #Texans

Crennel likes a big NT and athletic guys on the ends in his defense: The nose is critical. He's got to be able to beat the double team.

Romeo Crennel on working with J.J. Watt: He's pretty good, I believe. He's a pleasure to work with. His best is pretty good. #Texans

Training camp is when Romeo feels like #Texans will really know what they have, not OTAs: "Everyone looks good in shorts."

Romeo on why he came to Houston: Good organization, good players, liked what he knew about O'Brien being a football guy. #Texans

Last edited:
I could be wrong but it looked like Max Bullough wasn't practicing today. In the tuesday's "first look" at 50 seconds it looked like he was just doing stretching today. Not in jersey or helmet.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2014-otas/20140610_texans_otas_btc_02.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2014-otas/20140610_texans_otas_btc_05.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_5388--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2014-otas/20140610_texans_otas_btc_10.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_5440--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_5450--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_5272--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com/chron.com

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_5382--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/06-June/tempBB1_5379--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2014-otas/20140610_texans_otas_btc_14.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2014-otas/20140610_texans_otas_btc_151.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2014-otas/20140610_texans_otas_btc_17.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2014-otas/20140610_texans_otas_btc_18.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2014-otas/20140610_texans_otas_btc_20.jpg[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com/chron.com

JDC has a very fast get off. Maybe he shoots a gap on the inside, or maybe OBs plan is more to see what the OL has to scheme against a Nix or Bowe on the other side. On the fly, that's got to something for a QB/C/G to think about. Who knows, it's probably more of just a stunt, but I like the idea of them trying to think outside the box. If the OL has no idea how the DL is going to line up down to down, it could disrupt things. Especially if someone is beating an OL because they are quicker or bigger. It's all a guess, but RC is definitely trying to see what kind of tools he has in the shed. Multipurpose tools are always nice.

you're not going to shoot a gap against an NFL OLineman in an obvious passing situation. Especially when said guy cant benchpress 225 lbs more than 15 or so times or whatever it was. Put the guy on the outside and use his God given talents.

you're not going to shoot a gap against an NFL OLineman in an obvious passing situation. Especially when said guy cant benchpress 225 lbs more than 15 or so times or whatever it was. Put the guy on the outside and use his God given talents.

Tell that to JJ Watt

Linebackers and occasionally db's will line up right over a lineman and get pressure on a blitz.

Now you're trying to say clowney can't line up inside and get pressure?

I think Vrabel needs a players' uni.... every time i see training camp picts, he's mixing it up with somebody.

Linebackers and occasionally db's will line up right over a lineman and get pressure on a blitz.

Now you're trying to say clowney can't line up inside and get pressure?

You are talking about 2 completely different scenarios. If you outman the OL on a firehouse blitz of course you SHOULD be able to pressure. Trying to confuse an OL using personnel hardly works because of the strict blocking assignments.

Yes, I don't think JDC can move the pocket or pressure the QB out of the NT position. Not strong enough.

I'm not putting him on that level and he will prob never be at that level, but if we do go by draft status clowney was drafted higher :kitten: just saying.

Not trying to be a dick, but Watt is a 300 lb demigod. JDC has a long way to go.

Knowing what we know now would Watt be the first overall 2 years ago?

You are talking about 2 completely different scenarios. If you outman the OL on a firehouse blitz of course you SHOULD be able to pressure. Trying to confuse an OL using personnel hardly works because of the strict blocking assignments.

Yes, I don't think JDC can move the pocket or pressure the QB out of the NT position. Not strong enough.

I knew you were going to say that.

Watch more games. Often times you'll see a LB walk right up to the line and come on a blitz. When a LB walks up to the line like that, they aren't going to be unacounted for.

And clowney would not be trying to push the pocket. He'd be trying to get penetration.

Lots of teams have nascar packages where you have 4 edge rusher type guys on the field. Normally in sure passing situations and against a qb that isn't prone to scramble.

As far as strength goes, clowney is plenty strong enough to rush the passer from the interior and it's not all about strength anyways. Especially against OLinemen who are going to be giving ground in a pass situation.

It's not that you can't have the opinion that clowney can't rush from inside, but the reasons you're giving don't make a lot of sense IMO.

I knew you were going to say that.

Watch more games. Often times you'll see a LB walk right up to the line and come on a blitz. When a LB walks up to the line like that, they aren't going to be unacounted for.

And clowney would not be trying to push the pocket. He'd be trying to get penetration.

Lots of teams have nascar packages where you have 4 edge rusher type guys on the field. Normally in sure passing situations and against a qb that isn't prone to scramble.

As far as strength goes, clowney is plenty strong enough to rush the passer from the interior and it's not all about strength anyways. Especially against OLinemen who are going to be giving ground in a pass situation.

It's not that you can't have the opinion that clowney can't rush from inside, but the reasons you're giving don't make a lot of sense IMO.

Have you ever played football? in what bizarre world are the interior OLinemen taught to 'give ground'?

So you're saying that Clowney with his awesome first step is going to split a C and G on his way to the QB. First it was about him doing it as a NT all alone, then it turned to a 'nascar' package. What is it going to be next? Giving ground ... good stuff.

Have you ever played football? in what bizarre world are the interior OLinemen taught to 'give ground'?

So you're saying that Clowney with his awesome first step is going to split a C and G on his way to the QB. First it was about him doing it as a NT all alone, then it turned to a 'nascar' package. What is it going to be next? Giving ground ... good stuff.

Have you?

Have you ever played football? in what bizarre world are the interior OLinemen taught to 'give ground?

I started playing football in elementary school. I played middle school, highschool, and division 1 college ball. I have coached young kids all the way up to the highschool level. I played OL.

I have friends and former coaches in the nfl. Matter of fact a former coach of mine works for the texans. I have 4 brothers that played football that I have helped along the way. 2 went on to play division 1 football. 1 is currently playing OL at Nebraska.

If you don't know that the OL gives ground in pass protection then I think that really is the end if the conversation.

And actually, in kubiaks scheme you give a little ground in the run game on that stretch play with your initial step. I can tell you have no clue what you're talking about now and are just running your gums.

I think a lot of JJ's sacks have come off Dline games in their base defense. It's not always about blitzes and bull rushing. A game among the dline throws one olineman off, somebody's getting home.

I started playing football in elementary school. I played middle school, highschool, and division 1 college ball. I have coached young kids all the way up to the highschool level. I played OL.

I have friends and former coaches in the nfl. Matter of fact a former coach of mine works for the texans. I have 4 brothers that played football that I have helped along the way. 2 went on to play division 1 football. 1 is currently playing OL at Nebraska.

If you don't know that the OL gives ground in pass protection then I think that really is the end if the conversation.

And actually, in kubiaks scheme you give a little ground in the run game on that stretch play with your initial step. I can tell you have no clue what you're talking about now and are just running your gums.

That pass protection move is a basic part of most OL schemes. MSR.

Back