Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Jags game.

I'm talking about the scheming from the coach. The olinemen don't call the scheme

They OL is young and should get better the more they play together. They really only gave up 1 sack despite never playing together. Pretty good.

I dont think the scheme was bad last game. In other games I would agree with you on scheme.

Did you see the Tacks OL against the Jags D ast night? The Jags D is pretty good, the Tacks OL looked much worse than the Texans OL.

They OL is young and should get better the more they play together. They really only gave up 1 sack despite never playing together. Pretty good.

I dont think the scheme was bad last game. In other games I would agree with you on scheme.

Did you see the Tacks OL against the Jags D ast night? The Jags D is pretty good, the Tacks OL looked much worse than the Texans OL.

The Titans offense is bad and we should be a lot better than that

The jags also had their best edge rusher, ngakoue, back as well as bouye. They were out vs Texans

The jags also had their best edge rusher, ngakoue, back as well as bouye. They were out vs Texans

Still the OL showed quite a bit of improvement from week 1 to week 2. This is what I'm looking for in the new young OL. I'm giving this 4 more weeks to see how they are doing before I BEGIN to make an evaluation of where the OL is.

Titans offense put up 32 against a talented Browns defense that had 4 sacks and 17 against a good Colts D

Neither Nga(sp) or Bouye had much of an impact

You just hate all things OB (perhaps deservedly so), he's certainly no Kubiak

Titans offense put up 32 against a talented Browns defense that had 4 sacks and 17 against a good Colts D

Neither Nga(sp) or Bouye had much of an impact

You just hate all things OB (perhaps deservedly so), he's certainly no Kubiak

The Texans ol and offense have been terrible so far. I'm not gonna get excited because the Titans suck too.

The Texans ol and offense have been terrible so far. I'm not gonna get excited because the Titans suck too.

The division sucks at this point, but at least try to be fair. And you don't have to tell us with every comment how much you think OB sucks... we KNOW!

The division sucks at this point, but at least try to be fair. And you don't have to tell us with every comment how much you think OB sucks... we KNOW!

Maybe Cal reads it one more time and that is the straw that breaks the camels back ?

We really need to break out the pink soap …. maybe start wearing pink soap / Fire OB T-Shirts to the games because this franchise seems otherwise oblivious to his ineptitude.

Ok I think Tunsil and Rod have been great additions. There is actually decent talent in the line now. The players are there to have good OL play. I don't think the line is getting beat individually.

People crap on Martin but honestly he is not bad. Tytus is encouraging. Fulton is solid as always.

However the results aren't there. I don't see how people are optimistic after the offense just scored 13 points and Watson is still getting hit a ton.

Some blame Watson, I blame scheme/coaching. Either way it's not good.

Right. Watson does. & even though I have no love for O'Brien I'm rethinking how much of the offense's problems have to do with Watson.

He still appears to miss a lot preSnap.
Right. Just to emphasize, Watson is responsible for and calls out the blocking as he reads the defensive alignment. Traditionally, the Center has this resposibility.

So, this is something which should improve as Watson gains experience. Typically, young QB's must learn to read DB's. Watson has so much more he has to learn.

Right. Watson does. & even though I have no love for O'Brien I'm rethinking how much of the offense's problems have to do with Watson.

Fair enough, I think it's more scheme.

I mean the offense still looks like Brock Osweiler and
Breno Giacomini are out there.

Whatever issues Watson has, any offense with him should score more than 13 points.

And I don't think "jags are good" or "they are still gelling" are good explanations for why the offense is still bad with all that talent

Whatever issues Watson has, any offense with him should score more than 13 points.

And I don't think "jags are good" or "they are still gelling" are good explanations for why the offense is still bad with all that talent
Players make plays and they missed them in the Jags game. Duke not heading to the pylon, NUK drops, Fuller drop, etc. Not saying the offense was good, but it goes for chunk plays and they missed them last week and that is when we look bad. Agree these guys should score more, plenty of talent, but I want a larger sample size

After watching the Jaguars defense pulverize the Titans. I can clearly see why Watson and our offense struggled. It also shows our offense is nowhere close to KC offense.

After watching the Jaguars defense pulverize the Titans. I can clearly see why Watson and our offense struggled. It also shows our offense is nowhere close to KC offense.

My point was just that the Texans offense has a lot more talent and just spent a lot of first round picks to have a super bowl offense now. Jags were also missing two of their top defenders against the Texans.

Jacksonville's third CB shut Will Fuller down.

That just don't sound right to me. Mistakes were made on our side of the ball. Regardless how good Jacksonville's defense is. We can't be beating ourselves.

My point was just that the Texans offense has a lot more talent and just spent a lot of first round picks to have a super bowl offense now. Jags were also missing two of their top defenders against the Texans.

A week before the season started. You should expect growing pains. If we see this after Thanksgiving, then it is something to worry about.

A week before the season started. You should expect growing pains. If we see this after Thanksgiving, then it is something to worry about.

Ok we'll see. But I'm guessing by then there will be another excuse as to why OBrien can't build a good offense.

Ok we'll see. But I'm guessing by then there will be another excuse as to why OBrien can't build a good offense.

Well Tunsil and Kelemete are both questionable for the game. So the injury bug is looking to take over again.

And people can't blame Davenport on this time.

Players make plays and they missed them in the Jags game. Duke not heading to the pylon, NUK drops, Fuller drop, etc. Not saying the offense was good, but it goes for chunk plays and they missed them last week and that is when we look bad. Agree these guys should score more, plenty of talent, but I want a larger sample size

No , that's when they look like …. "almost there" , "missed it by that much" ….

When they look bad is when they blow blocking assignments or misread pressure packages / blitzes.

Both of these items ultimately fall back more so to OB. Watson isn't totally absolved because he has to grow in his abilities as a NFL QB. But in my own opinion, I think he can be better QB than OB can be a head coach. Watson is talented and can win, but if he is struggling in the development of this offense then the offense needs to be tailored to his strengths. Within his strengths you create diversity to keep defenses off balance. After the week 5 game against the Falcons is the evaluation point for me to see how it all comes together this year. That should be plenty of live fire time for the offense to be functional with the OL and Watson.

Both of these items ultimately fall back more so to OB. Watson isn't totally absolved because he has to grow in his abilities as a NFL QB. But in my own opinion, I think he can be better QB than OB can be a head coach. Watson is talented and can win, but if he is struggling in the development of this offense then the offense needs to be tailored to his strengths. Within his strengths you create diversity to keep defenses off balance. After the week 5 game against the Falcons is the evaluation point for me to see how it all comes together this year. That should be plenty of live fire time for the offense to be functional with the OL and Watson.

His strengths are running Clemson's RPO offense. It's the offense he's comfortable with. Problem is running that offense will open up Watson to more of a chance of getting injured. I'm for letting Watson run the offense he's most comfortable with and when he gets hurt again seeing the MB react to BOB letting a guy that's a 2 time ACL guy run that offense.

This would be true entertainment.

His strengths are running Clemson's RPO offense. It's the offense he's comfortable with. Problem is running that offense will open up Watson to more of a chance of getting injured. I'm for letting Watson run the offense he's most comfortable with and when he gets hurt again seeing the MB react to BOB letting a guy that's a 2 time ACL guy run that offense.

He bruised a lung in OBriens revamped offense

You don't have to run the RPO often to utilize some concepts of it and try to implement those concepts in more traditional NFL formations. One thing I have observed in a RPO, is quick reads especially if pass is the option. If you pass in a RPO, it better be quick or you may end up with an ineligible lineman downfield. With that said, since I've been reading on here, I notice a lot of posters complaining about slow developing routes. Well why not implement quick routes/schemes with less reads to help the QB and possibly the OL? Get your offense into a rhythm to build their confidence. Don't want to corrode this thread outside of the topic, I'd be happy to continue in another thread related to the offense.

Right. Just to emphasize, Watson is responsible for and calls out the blocking as he reads the defensive alignment. Traditionally, the Center has this responsibility.

So, this is something which should improve as Watson gains experience. Typically, young QB's must learn to read DB's. Watson has so much more he has to learn.

Is that the best situation for your very young, extremely talented and very smashed quarterback though? Watson is plenty smart, but he isn't in the game of the likes of Manning or Brees or even Schaub, that's simply not his forte - it's a rare talent even at the highest level. Maybe it will become a talent over the years, but it's certainly not arrived yet and shouldn't be forced. He's already carrying the franchise, put the onus of the offensive line reads on your ridiculously overpaid center who is part of that whole and should be better at communicating the reads. We put the entire offense on Watson, when we should be trying to slow the game down and make it as simple as possible for him to excel in.

You don't have to run the RPO often to utilize some concepts of it and try to implement those concepts in more traditional NFL formations. One thing I have observed in a RPO, is quick reads especially if pass is the option. If you pass in a RPO, it better be quick or you may end up with an ineligible lineman downfield. With that said, since I've been reading on here, I notice a lot of posters complaining about slow developing routes. Well why not implement quick routes/schemes with less reads to help the QB and possibly the OL? Get your offense into a rhythm to build their confidence. Don't want to corrode this thread outside of the topic, I'd be happy to continue in another thread related to the offense.

I understand what you're saying and dont necessarily disagree. But you are opening up a greater chance of injury.

I would love for you to open up another thread where we can discuss this further.

The question that's been asked since O'Brien got here. There was a brief moment during Watson's rookie season that it appeared that we had an offensive identity. Sure it was a knockoff Clemson RPO identity, but it worked. This offense as I understand it, is supposed to be about mismatches. It is ... however it's become progressively more about preventing them than exploiting them. We spend more time in max protect and 5 wide out of necessity than we do dictating with our base offense. We're also inconsistent with teaching and talent on the line ... screen? power? zone? wide protect? We're trying to add talent without any thought to WHY. The random RPO in our playbook is usually goalline. The big miss in there is featuring the backs, with Miller and now Duke, that should be where we lean* - supported by crossing tightends to accentuate their availability.

*Not David Carr check-downs, but Belichick exploiting defensive holes.

Last edited:
Back