Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Jags game.

I try not to be OVER REACTION JACKSON....... I really do...... and essentially these are really preseason games becuz these guys don’t play any ball in the preseason....... we probably won’t see who this team really is until game 4 or 5 of this season...... now with that being said ...... these are observations that SLIGHTLY WORRY ME...

Good post...thanks for putting it together.

Do we have tight ends? Or any plays designed to attack the seams and hashes over the middle of a defense? Because Obrien sure as **** ain't calling em.

Watson has issues with looking at the middle of the field.

Guys in the middle of the field were open yesterday. Akins in particular was open several times. This is part of Watson's learning curve.

I try not to be OVER REACTION JACKSON....... I really do...... and essentially these are really preseason games becuz these guys don’t play any ball in the preseason....... we probably won’t see who this team really is until game 4 or 5 of this season...... now with that being said ...... these are observations that SLIGHTLY WORRY ME

So our offense showed up last Sunday and our defense didn’t show up....... this Sunday our defense showed up and the offense didn’t show up at all...... can we ever get a game when all three phases play halfway decent and show up together and all play well like a normal team ??? Or is that too much to ask of O Brien to have a team
Halfway prepared to play a 60 min game??!!

And I don’t ever wanna see that O Brien is a offensive guru/mastermind ever again in my life....... this guy is no Sean Payton...... Kubiak..... Andy Reid........ his play calling is the worse I have possibly ever seen...... we have possibly one of the best set of WR’s in the entire NFL but the long vanilla sand lot old school plays that this guy calls don’t even get them open...... somebody should be wide open every play becuz we have a nuclear weapon in NUK Hopkins who demands you to shift coverage his way........ and we have speed demons all over the place but with these vanilla high school coach beginner routes O Brien makes them run ...... he can’t get em open....... and he is suppose to be a BELICHECK disciple...... BELICHECK is the King of getting creative to get slow no speed no talent WR’s open almost every play with picks and Rub routes....... O Brien does neither...... he is calling plays everybody can cover and it’s super frustrating

O Brien will run on 2nd and a mile and when it’s 2nd and short he runs a damn pass play......... it’s the most backwards ass **** I ever seen in my life man........ then we was inside the 5 yard line a couple times yesterday and the dumb ass runs a spread offense inside the 5 where everything shrinks and you need somebody to get open in a millisecond...... you can’t fun long routes that take time inside the 5 yard line....... this idiot is running plays like we at mid field........ inside the 5 ......at least try to trick the defense..... we do a spread 4 wide out set instead of lining up and at least get under center and act like we about to run so the defense at least tries to guess what we doing and don’t just know right off the bat....... this play calling is putting us is 3rd and long WAY TO OFTEN and Watson magic on third down and a mile is working right now but at some point that **** is gonna get us killed by a actual good team and defense

And I Love Deshaun Watson....... I really do...... but for the love of God teach this kid to stop holding the ball and trying to extend every play and be a super hero every single down of the game....... he has to pick his spots on when to put his cape on and Carry this team and when to just take what the defense gives you and live to fight another down....... this kid has taken to much of a beating and it’s not all on the offensive line...... for the most part they hold up for 4 to 5 secs yesterday...... Deshaun has to get thru his progression’s faster and get the ball out of his hands and just trust his teammates and playmakers to make some plays in space...... he feels he has to be the playmaker ever single play and most times that takes him to hold the ball and try to extend the play and it’s getting him killed and the offensive line can’t hold up 8 or 9 seconds ......... Deshaun has to take some short stuff three step drops and get the ball out and not go for the homerun every play...... he won’t last much longer doing that every play......

O Brien really needs to make adjustments to this offense...... he suppose to be a New England disciple but we don’t use the game inside the hash marks and don’t use a weapon we have in the runningback out the backfield AT ALL....... why are we not using the middle of the field..... we have mismatches at the TE almost every play....... no linebackers can cover our tight ends..... we don’t throw to the slot receivers at all....... and we have speed in the slot with Coutee ...... Stills and Carter...... and for the love if God check the ball down to the runningback at times ........ the runningback be wide open and Deshaun is waiting on a receiver to get open 30 yards down the field ...... man check the ball down to Duke Johnson or Hyde and let them do work......

The offensive line is ok in my opinion...... we have like 3 to four new guys and you can’t get better until you play .....so they learning each other ...... this line will be good by game 5 or 6 And start gelling so I’m not concerned with the mistakes they making now...... They won’t be making them by then in my opinion....... Deshaun is responsible for a lot of his sacks tho holding the ball way tooo long

Over all this post is a great one.

However the Pats often go from the gun at the 5. But the Pats have Brady making quick decisions with the ball. The Texans have Watson who's still learning.

Gordon/AB/Dorsett/Edelman are hardly slow.

Watson has trouble scanning the middle of the field. Akins was open several times yesterday and Watson missed him. Watson does still hold the ball too long at times. Hopefully he can learn from this experience.

The only explanation I have is that O'Brien must be an amazing communicator when it comes to working the office politics. His time at Penn St working booster events must have prepared him well to deal with the money is no object kind of people.

It's pretty remarkable all things considered. A coach who feasts on a terrible division and gets smacked every time he plays a team with a pulse in a big game and yet still consolidating power in the organization. The Texans should be teaching a class on O'Brien's office politics rather than how to run an NFL franchise.

Or maybe BOB wasn't calling the shots until atleast RS left and maybe Gaine.

Aside from BoB, the offensive line played better than game 1 but they’re still tied for last in the NFL giving up sacks. And they gave up 16 QB pressures yesterday.

The defense again tried to lose the game. I don’t know what it’s going to take for them to close out a game. It’s a trend and it needs to stop.

Maybe this resurgence of a RB isn’t a fluke. The line is doing a good job of firing off the ball.

For the most part, Watson is still holding the ball too long. He had a wide open Gillispia in the first half. I’d have to watch the All 22 to see how many more quick hitters he missed.

Find your TE’s more.

He missed quite a few open reads yesterday.

Carlos Hyde has had 30 carries in two games. Only two have gone for no gain. No negative runs either. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) September 16, 2019
I liked the point made in commentary yesterday about him bouncing around the league, coaches had become focused on what he couldnt do rather than playing to his strengths.

Whoda thunk itd be OB that broke that trend though!

I try not to be OVER REACTION JACKSON....... I really do...... and essentially these are really preseason games becuz these guys don’t play any ball in the preseason....... we probably won’t see who this team really is until game 4 or 5 of this season...... now with that being said ...... these are observations that SLIGHTLY WORRY ME

So our offense showed up last Sunday and our defense didn’t show up....... this Sunday our defense showed up and the offense didn’t show up at all...... can we ever get a game when all three phases play halfway decent and show up together and all play well like a normal team ??? Or is that too much to ask of O Brien to have a team
Halfway prepared to play a 60 min game??!!

And I don’t ever wanna see that O Brien is a offensive guru/mastermind ever again in my life....... this guy is no Sean Payton...... Kubiak..... Andy Reid........ his play calling is the worse I have possibly ever seen...... we have possibly one of the best set of WR’s in the entire NFL but the long vanilla sand lot old school plays that this guy calls don’t even get them open...... somebody should be wide open every play becuz we have a nuclear weapon in NUK Hopkins who demands you to shift coverage his way........ and we have speed demons all over the place but with these vanilla high school coach beginner routes O Brien makes them run ...... he can’t get em open....... and he is suppose to be a BELICHECK disciple...... BELICHECK is the King of getting creative to get slow no speed no talent WR’s open almost every play with picks and Rub routes....... O Brien does neither...... he is calling plays everybody can cover and it’s super frustrating

O Brien will run on 2nd and a mile and when it’s 2nd and short he runs a damn pass play......... it’s the most backwards ass **** I ever seen in my life man........ then we was inside the 5 yard line a couple times yesterday and the dumb ass runs a spread offense inside the 5 where everything shrinks and you need somebody to get open in a millisecond...... you can’t fun long routes that take time inside the 5 yard line....... this idiot is running plays like we at mid field........ inside the 5 ......at least try to trick the defense..... we do a spread 4 wide out set instead of lining up and at least get under center and act like we about to run so the defense at least tries to guess what we doing and don’t just know right off the bat....... this play calling is putting us is 3rd and long WAY TO OFTEN and Watson magic on third down and a mile is working right now but at some point that **** is gonna get us killed by a actual good team and defense

And I Love Deshaun Watson....... I really do...... but for the love of God teach this kid to stop holding the ball and trying to extend every play and be a super hero every single down of the game....... he has to pick his spots on when to put his cape on and Carry this team and when to just take what the defense gives you and live to fight another down....... this kid has taken to much of a beating and it’s not all on the offensive line...... for the most part they hold up for 4 to 5 secs yesterday...... Deshaun has to get thru his progression’s faster and get the ball out of his hands and just trust his teammates and playmakers to make some plays in space...... he feels he has to be the playmaker ever single play and most times that takes him to hold the ball and try to extend the play and it’s getting him killed and the offensive line can’t hold up 8 or 9 seconds ......... Deshaun has to take some short stuff three step drops and get the ball out and not go for the homerun every play...... he won’t last much longer doing that every play......

O Brien really needs to make adjustments to this offense...... he suppose to be a New England disciple but we don’t use the game inside the hash marks and don’t use a weapon we have in the runningback out the backfield AT ALL....... why are we not using the middle of the field..... we have mismatches at the TE almost every play....... no linebackers can cover our tight ends..... we don’t throw to the slot receivers at all....... and we have speed in the slot with Coutee ...... Stills and Carter...... and for the love if God check the ball down to the runningback at times ........ the runningback be wide open and Deshaun is waiting on a receiver to get open 30 yards down the field ...... man check the ball down to Duke Johnson or Hyde and let them do work......

The offensive line is ok in my opinion...... we have like 3 to four new guys and you can’t get better until you play .....so they learning each other ...... this line will be good by game 5 or 6 And start gelling so I’m not concerned with the mistakes they making now...... They won’t be making them by then in my opinion....... Deshaun is responsible for a lot of his sacks tho holding the ball way tooo long

My Overall sentiments are summed up nicely here...great balanced post. The biggest thing worrying me is DW4 trying to hit the homerun every play. The hot reads & short routes are there. He has to be willing to take what the defense is giving him and limit his superhero powers to the end of the game scenarios if the game is tight and we actually need it. The hits he takes are a lot of the times on him and he’s contributing to his own demise.

I think a huge and evolving part of the book on defending him for d-coordinators is they either suspect he’s not good at reading them or they know he won’t consistently take the short stuff in the face of a blitz....& by blitzing so much, they are banking on him holding it long enough for the blitz to get home. These aren’t off the snap blitzes either..a lot of these are delayed blitzes..

For him to get to the next level, he’s got to start using his cadence better in getting the defense to reveal itself...for that to happen, the play has to get in faster so he can get the offense set up. I saw him do it a few times in the NO game..didn’t see it at all in the Jax game.

I liked the point made in commentary yesterday about him bouncing around the league, coaches had become focused on what he couldnt do rather than playing to his strengths.

Whoda thunk itd be OB that broke that trend though!

I just wish he was as good as playing to the strengths of the QB as he is to the RB.

Dude is a RB whisperer. Not a QB whisperer. Must have been a typo.

Or the blind squirrel found a nut.

You know I've thought about it for a couple of days now and here is my ultimate take away from the game. The Texans are boring. Let me use an analogy to explain what I mean. Since this is the deep south lets use NASCAR as our example. The car (IE the players) is a high power, high dollar race car that has been built with everything from the engine to the steering wheel designed with the goal of winning. You listen to it before the race and hear that engine roar and you just know there is a whole herd of wild horses worth of power there. You watch it follow the pace car and you see that it can match any other car on the track. Then the flag drops...and nothing seems to happen.

Oh it can go 0 to 60 in a heart beat and it handles like a dream but it seems the driver (IE BoB) is almost scared of opening it up and seeing what it can do. So since the driver won't push it you hope the pit crew chief (IE RAC) can plan for the long race and if not win by speed win by keeping the car on the track when it needs it and bringing it in when it will affect it the least, but he doesn't. He just brings it in when the other teams do and then just sends it back out with the rest of the leaders. So now neither the driver nor the crew boss seem to understand that this is a race and at some point you've got to go 3 wide, get in the lead and dare someone to pass you.

Sometimes the regular driver gets sick and a replacement is brought in (IE whoever or whatever the hell happens when the team actually shines) but it never lasts and all and all it makes for a very boring race and you start looking at the other cars wondering "Should I start cheering for that one over there that maybe just crashed but damn if it wasn't fun to watch before it did?"

That's where I currently am with the Texans.

Easy to say after that snoozer of a game this weekend. With 37 seconds left last Monday night, I seriously doubt you were bored.

But was that excitement because of the coaching and the schemes or because of the players? In reality there is not coach that can bring a team back from being behind like Watson and Brees did. Not BoB, not Payton and even BB. They may can call a play but it is the players that make that kind of magic.

I’m assuming you’re old enough to remember the old Herby movies? Remember the ones where Herby got tired of his driver and just won the race by himself. That was the Monday night game.

You know I've thought about it for a couple of days now and here is my ultimate take away from the game. The Texans are boring. Let me use an analogy to explain what I mean. Since this is the deep south lets use NASCAR as our example. The car (IE the players) is a high power, high dollar race car that has been built with everything from the engine to the steering wheel designed with the goal of winning. You listen to it before the race and hear that engine roar and you just know there is a whole herd of wild horses worth of power there. You watch it follow the pace car and you see that it can match any other car on the track. Then the flag drops...and nothing seems to happen.

Oh it can go 0 to 60 in a heart beat and it handles like a dream but it seems the driver (IE BoB) is almost scared of opening it up and seeing what it can do. So since the driver won't push it you hope the pit crew chief (IE RAC) can plan for the long race and if not win by speed win by keeping the car on the track when it needs it and bringing it in when it will affect it the least, but he doesn't. He just brings it in when the other teams do and then just sends it back out with the rest of the leaders. So now neither the driver nor the crew boss seem to understand that this is a race and at some point you've got to go 3 wide, get in the lead and dare someone to pass you.

Sometimes the regular driver gets sick and a replacement is brought in (IE whoever or whatever the hell happens when the team actually shines) but it never lasts and all and all it makes for a very boring race and you start looking at the other cars wondering "Should I start cheering for that one over there that maybe just crashed but damn if it wasn't fun to watch before it did?"

That's where I currently am with the Texans.

That race car has won 3 of its last 4 races.

3 of which with a combination of Tom Savage, Ryan Mallet, or Brian Hoyer at QB.

In regards to game play, Watson is in his second season and developing the small intricacies of being a QB. Give it time.

But was that excitement because of the coaching and the schemes or because of the players? In reality there is not coach that can bring a team back from being behind like Watson and Brees did. Not BoB, not Payton and even BB. They may can call a play but it is the players that make that kind of magic.

I’m assuming you’re old enough to remember the old Herby movies? Remember the ones where Herby got tired of his driver and just won the race by himself. That was the Monday night game.

You said the Texans are boring. You didn't say OB. So I went with what you said. *shrug*

Watson has issues with looking at the middle of the field.

Guys in the middle of the field were open yesterday. Akins in particular was open several times. This is part of Watson's learning curve.

In year one Watson was money over the middle. He was quick and decisive with his reads. He was running neck to neck with Tom Brady as far as getting the ball out his hands quickly.

Wtf happened, oh that's right we were running a system he was very familiar with.

Last edited:

In regards to game play, Watson is in his second season and developing the small intricacies of being a QB. Give it time.

And one of those years we managed to finish dead last in those special olympics..

That car won 3 of the last 4 superbowls ? Really ….

If you are referring to AFC south "championships" .... that's not the end of the race.

That's just surviving the first cut.

Last edited:
Over all this post is a great one.

However the Pats often go from the gun at the 5. But the Pats have Brady making quick decisions with the ball. The Texans have Watson who's still learning.

Gordon/AB/Dorsett/Edelman are hardly slow.

Watson has trouble scanning the middle of the field. Akins was open several times yesterday and Watson missed him. Watson does still hold the ball too long at times. Hopefully he can learn from this experience.

Key word BRADY...... and Brady make sure Edelman and those guys look great as well........ every receiver that ever left is not the same after they leave that system...... so my point is really BELICHECK has less talent then we do at WR and he is creative with getting them open....... OB needs to do the same becuz these routes he running are
Not working consistently

My Overall sentiments are summed up nicely here...great balanced post. The biggest thing worrying me is DW4 trying to hit the homerun every play. The hot reads & short routes are there. He has to be willing to take what the defense is giving him and limit his superhero powers to the end of the game scenarios if the game is tight and we actually need it. The hits he takes are a lot of the times on him and he’s contributing to his own demise.

I think a huge and evolving part of the book on defending him for d-coordinators is they either suspect he’s not good at reading them or they know he won’t consistently take the short stuff in the face of a blitz....& by blitzing so much, they are banking on him holding it long enough for the blitz to get home. These aren’t off the snap blitzes either..a lot of these are delayed blitzes..

For him to get to the next level, he’s got to start using his cadence better in getting the defense to reveal itself...for that to happen, the play has to get in faster so he can get the offense set up. I saw him do it a few times in the NO game..didn’t see it at all in the Jax game.

Preach Brother!!!! Remember last week the saints coordinator threw the kitchen sink blitz at Deshaun all game....... he didn’t throw a hot read and burn them not once..... which tells me either A he is having trouble picking up the blitz or B he doesn’t even look at the Hot tight End or Runningback period on any plays....... either way the tape is out on him that .... that’s the case and until he burns a defense that does it to him this won’t change

Do you agree with me? For the most part it did I overreact? Lol

Man, I rely on you 'gurus' to fill in the blanks for me. Seems very astute and clearly thought out myself. Overreaction?...I think the season will be the answer to that, but I don't think you did.

Key word BRADY...... and Brady make sure Edelman and those guys look great as well........ every receiver that ever left is not the same after they leave that system...... so my point is really BELICHECK has less talent then we do at WR and he is creative with getting them open....... OB needs to do the same becuz these routes he running are
Not working consistently

Garappolo looked pretty good in BB's system working with Edelman. Accuracy is something Watson needs to work on in addition to reading defenses/getting rid of the ball quicker.

In year one Watson was money over the middle. He was quick and decisive with his reads. He was running neck to neck with Tom Brady as fast as getting the ball out his hands quickly.

Wtf happened, oh that's right we were running a system he was very familiar with.

He's never been money over the middle.

Jalen Ramsey requested a trade after that blow up.

And then posted About “superstars linking up in Houston”

If you are gonna trade a bunch of draft picks for guys he’s worth it.

2JwbSci.jpg

Jalen Ramsey requested a trade after that blow up.

And then posted About “superstars linking up in Houston”

If you are gonna trade a bunch of draft picks for guys he’s worth it.

2JwbSci.jpg

He's awesome but he'll also be a free agent after next year and will get a massive contract.

Seems to be the trend on this forum. The guys that doubted Watson pre draft is saying mahomes is better while everyone who wanted Watson claims he’s better. It’s too early to tell. Just be thankful we’re not the bears. Mitch looks like a bust

I can point out many missed throws and particularly reads.

Go back and look at PFF or PFO as a reference point.

Not that this will change your mind.
I DGAF what PFF or PFO has to say. I watch games and All-22. I have as much insight as those bozos.

I needed a day away and to rewatch the game as the stadium is not best to see what was happening

Pluses
- Lonnie outside and Roby in slot was much better than Colvin in slot. Roby is on his way to getting paid
- Zach Cunningham is a beast.
- I saw with CB change more press, certainly played soft, but seemed they adjusted some
- Mercilus, 2 strip sacks, come on man, that spin move still has the LT spinning
- Hyde runs hard, and let's be honest the OL is moving some guys in the running game
- Run D was very solid, only QB scrambles hurt them
- The OL is now set with best talent assuming Martin is in there, let them play. Glad they made the change from Seantrel
- Time out for the defense at the end, actually good game management, yes I said it, his D needed it

Minuses
- Too conservative of coaching, both RAC and OB. OB won't say it, but he was happy with a FG at half, otherwise game management is unexplainable. RAC in the 4th quarter, egads. to BOB credit, he has gone for it on fourth twice and scored a TD, so some good there
- 12 men at critical time, coaching
- DW4 not using the entire field (middle), seeing blitzes. His TD was a freelance, Tytus said we were going left! Dude is a stud, but gets too much of a pass here for his growth areas.
- Picking up pass stunts
- Watt still not making Watt plays
- Fuller drops
- Duke not on same page yet as DW4
- Punting, 25th in the league, big regression

I was expecting the offense to become the identity of the team, this game was therefore a step back

Back