Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Steve McNair dead

One of his kids is either a senior in high school or just graduated and headed off to college and the second one is a high school student. If not mistaken, they did not live with the McNairs and as much of a loss as this is and the circumstances, they are probably old enough to get past the tragedy of it all after going through the grieving process.

Even the younger two with the proper support system can lead a normal life as this too shall pass. I can imagine that the children will probably move past this tragedy faster than Mechelle. I know if it were me I would probably need therapy to resolve the grief as much as the anger.

One of his kids is either a senior in high school or just graduated and headed off to college and the second one is a high school student. If not mistaken, they did not live with the McNairs and as much of a loss as this is and the circumstances, they are probably old enough to get past the tragedy of it all after going through the grieving process.

Even the younger two with the proper support system can lead a normal life as this too shall pass. I can imagine that the children will probably move past this tragedy faster than Mechelle. I know if it were me I would probably need therapy to resolve the grief as much as the anger.

Wow he was a very young father then..he was only 36.

Officer under investigation for Kazemi DUI stop

The police officer who was disciplined for his conduct in connection with a DUI stop of Steve McNair in 2003 faces a new investigation regarding his conduct in connection with the DUI stop of Sahel "Jenni" Kazemi two days before she killed McNair and then herself.

According to NewsChannel5.com in Nashville, officer Shawn Taylor's supervisors believe he reflected an "unprofessional" tone in a call made to a colleague during the stop.

After realizing the size of the fish he'd just caught, Taylor contacted another officer via cell phone.

"Guess who I've stopped?" Taylor said. "Remember that young female I stopped at Broadway a few weeks ago. Guess who is with her?"

After mentioning the identity of the passenger, Taylor described McNair as "drunk as hell," and Taylor said that Kazemi wasn't. (He later changed his mind about Kazemi.)
As a result of the 2003 incident, Taylor was reprimanded for repeatedly asking McNair to submit to a breathalyzer, after he had refused to do so. The charges were later dismissed when a judge determined that Taylor didn't have probable cause to make the stop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4330620

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The widow of slain former NFL quarterback Steve McNair says in court documents that her husband left no will and a judge in Nashville has ruled that she will oversee his estate.

Davidson County Probate Judge Randy Kennedy granted Mechelle McNair's request to administer the estate and gave her 60 days to file an inventory of her late husband's assets. She says in court documents that she did not know her late husband's worth, but documents contend it is "of sufficient size to be administered."

Police say McNair was shot to death on July 4 by a girlfriend who later turned the gun on herself. Nashville police have ruled it a murder-suicide.

Mechelle McNair listed herself and her two sons, Tyler and Trenton McNair, as the heirs to the estate. McNair also has two other sons from a previous relationship

Interesting.

What responsible "man" does not establish a will for the benefit of his wife and children? The "state" will likely unnecessarily receive an additional chunk that would have otherwise gone to his family. Just another in what seems to be a long list of acts of poor judgement and priority. :dontknowa

What responsible "man" does not establish a will for the benefit of his wife and children? The "state" will likely unnecessarily receive an additional chunk that would have otherwise gone to his family. Just another in what seems to be a long list of acts of poor judgement and priority. :dontknowa

I'm 33 and have no will. I fully expect everything that I have to go on to Mary Jane if I were to pass. I trust that she will do whatever she thinks is best for her and my children. It's why I married her. I do not have mudh money but we own our house outright as well as all of our vehicles.

I don't care how old my children get either. It all goes to MJ until she passes on. Then we'll talk about the children. Why would I need a will?

I'm 33 and have no will. I fully expect everything that I have to go on to Mary Jane if I were to pass. I trust that she will do whatever she thinks is best for her and my children. It's why I married her. I do not have mudh money but we own our house outright as well as all of our vehicles.

I don't care how old my children get either. It all goes to MJ until she passes on. Then we'll talk about the children. Why would I need a will?

F[orida].S[tate]. 733.301 states that the surviving spouse is entitled to administer the intestate estate. If there is no surviving spouse, the person entitled to appointment is that person selected by a majority in interest of the heirs. That means you must add the percentages and not just take a majority of the heirs. If the heirs cannot agree, then the person entitled to serve is the nearest heir in degree. If more than one applies, then the court may select the one best qualified. If no heir applies, perhaps because they do not want to pay the court costs and attorney’s fees, and the estate has creditors, one of the creditors may apply to serve. I would think most individuals would not want their creditor to administer their estate.

It could get confusing, costly, prolonged and sticky if both spouses die, for example in a case of an auto accident...........if kids are involved.

http://jmmflaw.wordpress.com/2008/08/12/if-you-have-no-will-you-have-no-control-over-assets-state-determines-beneficiaries/

On another part of McNair story, the person (to be named later today along with specific charges) that sold the gun to McNair's girlfriend was arrested.......a convicted felon, no less. BTW, the gun was sold fully loaded

On another part of McNair story, the person (to be named later today along with specific charges) that sold the gun to McNair's girlfriend was arrested.......a convicted felon, no less. BTW, the gun was sold fully loaded

Here's an update:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_mcnair_gun_arrest

Feds arrest felon in sale of gun in McNair killing

By TRAVIS LOLLER, Associated Press Writer Travis Loller, Associated Press Writer – 26 mins ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Federal agents have arrested a convicted murderer for allegedly providing the gun later used to kill ex-NFL quarterback Steve McNair.

Adrian J. Gilliam Jr., 33, of LaVergne, Tenn., was arrested by agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

A criminal complaint unsealed Friday in Nashville says that Gilliam — who was convicted of murder and attempted armed robbery in 1993 in Florida — admitted he sold the gun to the woman who later shot McNair.

McNair was shot to death on July 4 at his condo by his 20-year-old mistress, Sahel Kazemi, who then turned the gun on herself.

The complaint, signed by ATF agent Mickey French, charges Gilliam with illegally possessing a firearm, which he is barred from doing as a felon.

Detectives traced the gun, a 9 mm Bryco/Jennings, to its 2002 sale at a pawn shop, according to the complaint. Gilliam eventually bought it from an individual for $100 about a year or year and a half ago. Investigators said Gilliam told them he bought the gun for protection after his home was burglarized, and police reports indicate he did report a burglary about the time of the gun purchase.

According to court documents, Gilliam admitted to detectives he sold the gun to Kazemi for $100.

Federal prosecutors in Nashville planned to announce the case at a press conference later Friday.

Police announced in a news conference last week that Kazemi purchased "a fully loaded nine millimeter pistol from a private individual" who met her in the parking lot of the mall where she worked at a Dave & Busters restaurant.

Kazemi met the person when she was trying to sell her car. She mentioned to him that she was looking to buy a gun and he told her he had one for sale, police said. The sale took place two days before McNair's shooting, outside the restaurant where Kazemi worked and first met McNair.

Authorities believe McNair was asleep when Kazemi put the pistol to his head and pulled the trigger. She put two more slugs into his chest and a fourth bullet into the other side of his head before shooting herself.

McNair, a married father of four, walked away from the NFL last year. "Air McNair" was known as a gutsy quarterback who played through serious injuries and led his Tennessee Titans to a Super Bowl.

Though the gun sale in question did not involve a licensed gun dealer, the ATF recently warned all gun dealers in Tennessee that they must still comply with federal gun laws despite a new state law aimed at easing such requirements for weapons manufactured and sold in-state.

I guess the specific charges are forthcoming.

I was under the assumption the gun used was a .22 ? She used a 9mm?!! Two shots to the temples and 2 to the chest by a 9mm must've left a really gruesome crime scene. Plus the chick that shot herself. Damn!

I was under the assumption the gun used was a .22 ? She used a 9mm?!! Two shots to the temples and 2 to the chest by a 9mm must've left a really gruesome crime scene. Plus the chick that shot herself. Damn!

I wasn't surprised by the closed casket visitation and funeral. Also, on one of the boards some questioned why McNair's friend called another friend instead of 911. Imagine walking in and going straight to the frig to get a cold one, flipping the lid, take a drink, then walking through the living room. First thought was probably hey, what's up dude only to realize your friend is sitting there with most of his head blown off. Somebody probably needs therapy.

I wasn't surprised by the closed casket visitation and funeral. Also, on one of the boards some questioned why McNair's friend called another friend instead of 911. Imagine walking in and going straight to the frig to get a cold one, flipping the lid, take a drink, then walking through the living room. First thought was probably hey, what's up dude only to realize your friend is sitting there with most of his head blown off. Somebody probably needs therapy.

QFT! I've seen a few nasty things in my time, but dadgum, I think that would've brought me to my knees. Especially if it was my best friend.

I think that sometimes when it comes to death and wills that some people have the attitude there is plenty of time to deal with that especially if they are young. Wrong! I have read that such situations could get rather sticky as well as expensive. Steve had two children before his marriage and it appears that the estate could be split half for the spouse and half for the four children. Also with the children being minors could a portion of the property be tied up until the youngest child turns 18?

With a will, it would have been much easier if property matters were turned over to one person, and provisions made on who gets what, which could include other family members that a probate court would not consider.

The .22 vs 9mm was brought up to explain the actual number of bullets (in bodies and wall), with consideration of a .22 possibly riquocheting, etc.

Crime-scene evidence showed that all five of the bullets fired in the condo matched the gun that was found under her body. Police are awaiting toxicology reports on both victims.

Kazemi’s family has hired a Nashville lawyer and they are seeking an independent investigation. A representative said relatives can’t believe she acted alone in killing the former quarterback.

It'll be interesting if any additional information that re-inforces or contradicts existing conclusions are uncovered.
[link]

This may be the reinforcing reason why the family has sought counsel and independent investigation. Some of the same questions that many of us had need better answers than what have already been given...........if they are available. I doubt that without such a move, this case will ever be truly put to rest........only to be dug out as a cold case again sometime in the future.
(Toxicology results have yet to be completed/released.)

Were Steve McNair and Sahel Kazemi killed by someone else? Former police officer says yes

Who said "no big deal not leaving behind a will?" More questions? More surprises?

Battle Brewing Over McNair Estate

Slain QB Steve McNair may have left a mess behind, because a legal fight over his estate seems to be taking shape.

McNair did not leave a will. His widow, Mechelle, has been named administrator of his estate. She's named her two sons, Tyler and Trenton, as heirs.

But here's the problem. McNair has two older sons from a prior relationship -- Steven McNair Jr. and Steven O'Brian Koran McNair. Mechelle did not list either child as an heir.

Under Tennessee law, Mechelle gets 1/3 of the estate and the remaining 2/3 is split evenly among the heirs.

We don't know why Mechelle failed to mention the other two kids. There are reports she's not convinced McNair fathered the two older kids, even though one of them was getting $500 a month in child support from the NFL'er.

And the plot thickens ... McNair's agent is being coy about the possibility a will really does exist

I just read McNair's bac was twice the legal limit and the girl had some weed in her system.

When did it become either illegal or testable for passengers? Is there a single state in the country where you can't be a drunk passenger? - where it is an offense to be a drunk passenger?

When did it become either illegal or testable for passengers? Is there a single state in the country where you can't be a drunk passenger? - where it is an offense to be a drunk passenger?

He was at home, right? When has it been illegal to be drunk at home?

Thorn is going to be in BIG trouble if that law gets passed.

The report is referring to the state of McNair when shot........consistent with him being asleep during the shooting. I don't believe that anyone is questioning the legality.

The report is referring to the state of McNair when shot........consistent with him being asleep during the shooting. I don't believe that anyone is questioning the legality.

I understand that, but why report that, what does it matter at all ? So what, he had been drinking, so what, what does that matter.. Now this isn't a post about your post, it is about releasing the findings.. So what, he had a few drinks, he was an adult, he was home...so what !!!
Grass is more interesting than that report...and not the kind that was in the girls system either.

I understand that, but why report that, what does it matter at all ? So what, he had been drinking, so what, what does that matter.. Now this isn't a post about your post, it is about releasing the findings.. So what, he had a few drinks, he was an adult, he was home...so what !!!
Grass is more interesting than that report...and not the kind that was in the girls system either.

Agreed!

I was asking this question too...not because of how they found him but because of earlier reports that Steve had some DUI problems in the past and the incident with this girl where he was a passenger. They were acting like they "let him go." For what?Drinking and sitting?

I'm assuming this is being reported now regarding how he was at death to show he might have been passed out and therefore didn't even know what hit him. Probably best.

I was asking this question too...not because of how they found him but because of earlier reports that Steve had some DUI problems in the past and the incident with this girl where he was a passenger. They were acting like they "let him go." For what?Drinking and sitting?

I'm assuming this is being reported now regarding how he was at death to show he might have been passed out and therefore didn't even know what hit him. Probably best.

Sleeping OR passed out, I hardly doubt he would have known what hit him regardless... 2 bullets to the head would pretty much seal the deal there !

It's illegal in Pasadena for sure. I was arrested for public intoxication as a passenger in a car driven by a person who was over the limit. They made me get out of the car and take a breathalyzer. I scored a .10 and they threw me in the drunk tank for 4 or 5 hours. We were within walking distance of my ma's house.

The officer was a friggin jerk. I was not very drunk at all nor was I driving.

Sleeping OR passed out, I hardly doubt he would have known what hit him regardless... 2 bullets to the head would pretty much seal the deal there !

I reckon the first 9mm shot to the head pretty much sealed the deal. The 2nd shot to head was probably like shooting into a bucket of bloody spam. I guess the two body shots were to insure he wouldn't roll off the couch.

Seriously, this chick must've lost her freakin mind to shoot him that many times.

I reckon the first 9mm shot to the head pretty much sealed the deal. The 2nd shot to head was probably like shooting into a bucket of bloody spam. I guess the two body shots were to insure he wouldn't roll off the couch.

Seriously, this chick must've lost her freakin mind to shoot him that many times.

Well since the "report" said she had some mary jane in her system, I wonder why she capped him instead of making a sandwich or ordering a pizza.... So her mind was lost, that is for sure !

The parts to me that don't make sense are:

How come the right hand was in a condition to not be tested for GSR? What could have possibly happened to her hand while shooting McNair? Even if the hand is covered in blood couldn't it still be tested?

She was right handed and the bullet wound was to her left temple? I would venture a guess that a handgun novice such as herself would use two hands to shoot McNair but then shoots herself with one hand, and not even her dominant hand? Why not use both hands and just put the gun under your chin or in your mouth?

The fact that she shot him 4 times. It takes a lot to be capable of something like that. You would think after the first shot to the head that would be enough right there to stop. To go ahead and put 3 more bullets into someone at that range doesn't sound probable for someone without a history of violence. That's pretty hardcore.

Those things right there seem very fishy. It could be a slam dunk murder-suicide I guess if you knew all the evidence that answers those questions. And I am not much of a conpsiracy theorist but I have a hard time making sense of those things.

Maybe she was pissed that McNair might have had another girlfriend and had the ex-boyfriend come over to take him out and then unexpectedly just freaks out can't take it, looses it, threatens to rat out the boyfriend so he decides to eliminate the only witness? Ex-boyfriend also puts her up to buying the gun?

Like I said, hopefully the evidence makes it a slam dunk and there is not more to it, like a cover up or a murderer out walking around, but I can't help but wonder what if.

It's illegal in Pasadena for sure. I was arrested for public intoxication as a passenger in a car driven by a person who was over the limit. They made me get out of the car and take a breathalyzer. I scored a .10 and they threw me in the drunk tank for 4 or 5 hours. We were within walking distance of my ma's house.

The officer was a friggin jerk. I was not very drunk at all nor was I driving.

If a single passenger is a minor and suspected of illegally drinking, the breathelizer can be requested from both. If multiple adults are in the car with a minor suspected of illegal drinking as a passenger, the breathelizer can be requested from all those in the car, If I recollect the name of the 2nd mysterious passenger in the McNair car was never released...........could it be because of minor protective privilege?

The parts to me that don't make sense are:

How come the right hand was in a condition to not be tested for GSR? What could have possibly happened to her hand while shooting McNair? Even if the hand is covered in blood couldn't it still be tested?

She was right handed and the bullet wound was to her left temple? I would venture a guess that a handgun novice such as herself would use two hands to shoot McNair but then shoots herself with one hand, and not even her dominant hand? Why not use both hands and just put the gun under your chin or in your mouth?

The fact that she shot him 4 times. It takes a lot to be capable of something like that. You would think after the first shot to the head that would be enough right there to stop. To go ahead and put 3 more bullets into someone at that range doesn't sound probable for someone without a history of violence. That's pretty hardcore.

Those things right there seem very fishy. It could be a slam dunk murder-suicide I guess if you knew all the evidence that answers those questions. And I am not much of a conpsiracy theorist but I have a hard time making sense of those things.

Maybe she was pissed that McNair might have had another girlfriend and had the ex-boyfriend come over to take him out and then unexpectedly just freaks out can't take it, looses it, threatens to rat out the boyfriend so he decides to eliminate the only witness? Ex-boyfriend also puts her up to buying the gun?

Like I said, hopefully the evidence makes it a slam dunk and there is not more to it, like a cover up or a murderer out walking around, but I can't help but wonder what if.

I'm assuming the bolded above is all in connection to the story that she was shooting herself so she would fall in his lap. So she probably shot with the other hand to fall sideways into his lap.

If a single passenger is a minor and suspected of illegally drinking, the breathelizer can be requested from both. If multiple adults are in the car with a minor suspected of illegal drinking as a passenger, the breathelizer can be requested from all those in the car, If I recollect the name of the 2nd mysterious passenger in the McNair car was never released...........could it be because of minor protective privilege?

No minors in the car. We all were of legal age. All three of us were thrown in jail. I believe it to be a case of gang profiling. One passenger looked like a gangbanger with all his tattoos.

I'm assuming the bolded above is all in connection to the story that she was shooting herself so she would fall in his lap. So she probably shot with the other hand to fall sideways into his lap.

Maybe so. I still can't get past the 4 shots though, one shot to the head would be enough to stop most people in their tracks I would think.

No minors in the car. We all were of legal age. All three of us were thrown in jail. I believe it to be a case of gang profiling. One passenger looked like a gangbanger with all his tattoos.

Nitro, I was actually commenting on the McNair incidence. Yours makes no sense to me. You weren't "mooning" anyone from the car window, were you?:D

I'm finding difficult to imagine that a shot to the right and left temple with a 9mm allowed McNair to be found in a sitting position...........unless he was repropped up.

Nitro, I was actually commenting on the McNair incidence. Yours makes no sense to me. You weren't "mooning" anyone from the car window, were you?:D

No. We both (the two passengers) were stunned when we were placed in the officer's car. We were not driving but the way I understood it... once the officer asked us to get out of the car, we were then on city property therefore was immediately charged with public intoxication.

I still don't understand it much today but it is what it is. It's illegal.

I'm finding difficult to imagine that a shot to the right and left temple with a 9mm allowed McNair to be found in a sitting position...........unless he was repropped up.

The way I looked at it he was may have been laying on the couch and she just sat at the end by his feet or between his legs where she could be laying on his lap if she fell sideways...tragedy style.

I don't buy the police story right now. I just don't see this chick being all collected after the first shot to the head, delivering three more exacting blows to finish him off and then killing herself without any gun recoil, then when the first guy walks into the scene he just thinks McNair is asleep? A 9mm gun with two temple shots...will leave spray and splatter all over. It makes no sense to me. I don't buy it. After one shot most people who have never fired a weapon or been hunting would freak when the brains hit the wall....If the shots were less methodical I may buy the story but the shots were like an assassin's shot.

I don't buy the police story right now. I just don't see this chick being all collected after the first shot to the head, delivering three more exacting blows to finish him off and then killing herself without any gun recoil, then when the first guy walks into the scene he just thinks McNair is asleep? A 9mm gun with two temple shots...will leave spray and splatter all over. It makes no sense to me. I don't buy it. After one shot most people who have never fired a weapon or been hunting would freak when the brains hit the wall....If the shots were less methodical I may buy the story but the shots were like an assassin's shot.

Whew! I am trying to accept the ME's report, but as a woman I am having a hard time processing how no matter how angry or rejected, could she handle all of that blood and gore. One time, perhaps, but 2, 3, 4 unimaginable scene, then self? One bullet for him and one for self, I see, but four bullets for him and one for self from someone that isn't an expert markperson or hitperson is a bit much to comprehend.

I watched an episode of Dr. G, Medical Examiner last night and there was a case that struck my interest since a man and his married girlfriend were found in bed murdered and the McNair case is still fresh on my mind. Of course, the first suspect was the woman's husband although the gun was found in the boyfriend's hand. The autopsy finally revealed that the boyfriend shot the girlfriend, then himself. What was also found was a large mass on his brain and that he had been troubled with excruciating headaches and the only justification they could come up with was that in his state he chose to commit suicide and take her out with him. I felt like, dang dude, why her too, but at least I could somewhat understand.

Last edited:

That's my take on it, too.

Lots of head-scratching issues involved. The ex-BF is no choir boy, either.

But, like I have said: Maybe we just don't want to believe that Air McNair could have been done in by a 20-yr.-old Dave & Buster's waitress.

Another angle could be the 'new' girlfriend, whose existence the police claim, sent Kasemi on a murderous rampage.

Maybe this 'new' girlfriend had a jealous boyfriend or ex-boyfriend. They should leave no stone unturned because I just can't see Kasemi being that brutal. Two headshots at different times is pretty freaking brutal.

I will just remember the warrior Steve McNair who played hard and was willing to play hurt and sacrifice. It is a tragic ending to someone who had really overcome a lot of adversity to reach stardom. May his family be civil and honorable during this time of wills and inheritances. All the kids should get the same if they are indeed his kids. If they aren't but were treated like kids, they should get half of what his fathered children get. Pretty simple.

As for the wife she can take her half and try and put together the pieces of her life and try and keep her family together in Steve's absence.

This and many other facts, Vinny. Having been involved extensively in "surgical forensics," it makes as much sense to me as it makes to you.

Fox News just announced that there are several sources, including a former Nashville police officer and the girlfriend's family attorney that state, given all of the the facts available, "things don't make sense" for a conclusion of murder/suicide. There will be a new independent in depth investigation forced.

Check this extensive piece with accompanying video. :

Former police officer disputes official Steve McNair murder explanation on TV (video)

When police in Nashville insisted that Jenny "Sahel" Kazemi pumped four bullets, execution style, into the sleeping body of Steve McNair before then killing herself, plenty of folks were skeptical.

It all came off as too clean and convenient, and it seemed to overlook trivial details like, you know, common sense.

Enter Armen Keteyian of CBS, who has spent three months looking into the situation (we assume he's been doing other things, too, but the notion that he has been exclusively grinding away on only one story is a lot more impressive, like Jon Gruden going to work every day at 4:00 a.m.), has some stunning new information.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/20/mcnair-murder-case-takes-a-strange-turn/

It still does not make sense to me. I am not sure she did this on her own.

I didn't know where to put this, so I figured I put it in this section for those following the McNair case.

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2009/10/20/leah-ignagni-mcnairs-other-other-woman/?icid=main|main|dl2|link7|http%3A%2F%2Fbackporch.fanhouse.com%2F2009%2F10%2F20%2Fleah-ignagni-mcnairs-other-other-woman%2F#

Leah Ignagni, a 25-year-old woman from Nashville, Tenn., was also dating Steve McNair at the time of his death, new details from Nashville police revealed Monday night.

According to the case summary, Leah Ignagni confirmed she was dating McNair, who was killed on July 4 in a murder-suicide, and she recalled seeing a woman in a black Cadillac Escalade parked outside his condo two or three weeks before his murder.

Ignagni also said the woman followed her and that she later saw the Escalade circling her block or parked outside her apartment a week or two later. A 2007 black Escalade was co-registered both to Sahel Kazemi and McNair. This backs up earlier case details that stated Kazemi was suspicious of McNair being involved with someone else.

Ignagni told police that McNair visited her around 4 a.m. on July 2, just a couple of hours after Kazemi's DUI arrest, and then he spent the night at Ignagni's apartment before leaving early on July 3.

Back