Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Steve McNair dead

The Tennessean live twitter:

FYI........the escalade was not a gift, she was making payments on it.
.............seemed there was no struggle. kazemi indicated to friends she was going to "end it all"..........believe kazemi killed him while he was asleep. killed herself sitting next to him. fell to ground

Great job of keeping us posted, CND. Thanks for the updates.

Wow. What an unreal chain of events.

Police: McNair shot dead in sleep by girlfriend

By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II, Associated Press Writer 17 minutes ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)-Former NFL star Steve McNair(notes) was shot dead in his sleep last week by a 20-year-old girlfriend distraught about mounting financial problems and her belief that he was seeing someone else, police said Wednesday.

Investigators may never know why Kazemi shot McNair four times as he dozed on a sofa early Saturday before turning the gun on herself, Police Chief Ronal Serpas said.

But interviews with friends revealed that she was making payments on two cars, her rent was doubling and she suspected the married McNair was having a second affair with another young woman. end it,” Serpas said.

Police earlier had labeled McNair’s death a homicide, but waited for further tests and the revelations about Kazemi’s personal problems before concluding that she pulled the trigger in a condominium McNair rented with a friend.

McNair, 36, a quarterback for the Tennessee Titans most of his career, met Kazemi six months ago at a restaurant where she was a waitress and his family often ate. She seemed happy and eager to build a life with him, but something went wrong.

“We do know that she was clearly sending a message during the last five to seven days of her life that things were going bad quickly,” Serpas said, though there was no indication she told anyone she planned to harm McNair.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-mcnairkilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

her belief that he was seeing someone else?

:thinking: his wife?

Serpas said detectives learned that Kazemi recently found out about another young woman she thought McNair was romantically involved with and had even followed that woman home, though she did not confront her.

That woman, while likely grieving, must also be sighing with relief. This psycho-witch could have used that gun on her instead of McNair and herself.

If feel so bad for his wife and kids. They are the victims that have to live with this story for the rest of their lives. That's just a brutal reality to accept.

That woman, while likely grieving, must also be sighing with relief. This psycho-witch could have used that gun on her instead of McNair and herself.

If feel so bad for his wife and kids. They are the victims that have to live with this story for the rest of their lives. That's just a brutal reality to accept.

Agreed. Not that it can replace a husband and a Father, but I hope the wife and kids receive 100% of his financial worth.

That might come across as kinda crappy, but if I were to pass I would want my wife and kids financially worry free.

Lawyers on here would know but what's to stop the girl's family from suing Steve's estate saying he lead her to this...saying they are entitled to some of his money because he is to blame for her going ballistic?

I don't know that..asking if that is plausible..are there grounds for that?

Lawyers on here would know but what's to stop the girl's family from suing Steve's estate saying he lead her to this...saying they are entitled to some of his money because he is to blame for her going ballistic?

I don't know that..asking if that is plausible..are there grounds for that?

More like Steve's Probate Estate suing her for wrongful death. But there isn't anything to collect except tips from Dave and Busters.

NYTIMES

He [Chief of Police] said associates of Kazemi’s told investigators she was distraught recently. Kazemi apparently believed McNair was having a relationship with another woman and told a co-worker at Dave & Buster’s restaurant Friday night that she was considering suicide.

“She told friends her life was so messed up that she was going to end it all,” Serpas said. “She believed her relationship with Mr. McNair was unraveling. There is evidence she was spinning out of control.”

Serpas said Kazemi’s friends told investigators she had apparently seen another woman recently leaving the condo McNair leased with a friend and followed her. She also had financial problems, including a roommate who was going to move out and leave her with a higher rent payment.

McNair was the kind of guy that would buy his mistress an Escalade and make her pay for it.

It's a great gig if you have no morals.

Not saying it's right (in fact it's sad) but I understand why she shot him.

I find it ironic that McNair would cheat on his mistress and wife with another woman.

What did Kazemi think was going to happen?

No doubt McNair got around town so to speak. LOL

Gunpowder residue only on her left hand and a bullet hole in her right temple???????????Makes sense to me..........case closed!

While most of us will never know all the details, it's beginning to look like McNair was getting some outside his marriage. If that is in fact true, I don't care how you slice it, that's wrong. He paid a horrible price for his actions. But if he hadn't been cheating on his wife, he wouldn't have been in that situation for this to occur.

When a person makes a decision to step outside their marriage, or the law, things like this can and do happen. As others had said many times, the end result is his family will have to live with this, which is just horrible for them.

Gunpowder residue only on her left hand and a bullet hole in her right temple???????????Makes sense to me..........case closed!

It is very likely that there is an article I haven't read, but I haven't seen that detail anywhere. If true I can't believe the Nashville police are that ready to rule a suicide. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be an awkward and unnatural position.
The NYTimes article said gunpowder residue was found on her hands.

While most of us will never know all the details, it's beginning to look like McNair was getting some outside his marriage. If that is in fact true, I don't care how you slice it, that's wrong. He paid a horrible price for his actions. But if he hadn't been cheating on his wife, he wouldn't have been in that situation for this to occur.

When a person makes a decision to step outside their marriage, or the law, things like this can and do happen. As others had said many times, the end result is his family will have to live with this, which is just horrible for them.

Truth. I can't add anything to that.

I couldn't see how she could be such a perfect marksperson initially, but if asleep, it only takes one shot to kill and perhaps the others revealed anger or rage. Now that there are witnesses that she was spinning out of control, the pieces are beginning to fit.

It is very likely that there is an article I haven't read, but I haven't seen that detail anywhere. If true I can't believe the Nashville police are that ready to rule a suicide. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be an awkward and unnatural position.

The NYTimes article said gunpowder residue was found on her hands.

Listen to video police press conference. LINK

Listen to video police press conference. LINK

For some strange reason, when the site was updated the statement about the residue has been removed.

Here is another source with this fact included. LINK

"We believe now, at this time, that McNair was seated on the sofa and likely was asleep," Serpas said.

"And we believe that Kazemi shot him in the right temple, then shot him twice in the chest and then shot him a final time in the left temple."

The chief said Kazemi sat down on the sofa next to the 36-year-old McNair and shot herself once in the right temple.

All five shell casings littering the crime scene matched the weapon that Kazemi purchased on Thursday and was discovered beneath her slumped over body, Serpas said.

Gunshot residue was found on Kazemi's left hand. None was discovered on McNair's hands, bolstering the case's conclusions, said Serpas.

Officer says McNair angry with girlfriend AP

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A police officer tells Steve McNair's girlfriend the ex-NFL star is "not happy" during a DUI stop captured on video two days before the couple died in a murder-suicide.

Twenty-year-old Sahel Kazemi was pulled over early last Thursday and arrested on a drunken driving charge. McNair was a passenger in the car.

Police released video of the DUI stop after they announced Wednesday that Kazemi killed McNair and herself.

In the video, Kazemi repeatedly asks an officer to have McNair come to the window of the police cruiser where she's sitting. The officer responds, "He's not happy." McNair, who wasn't charged, leaves in a cab without coming to talk to her. He later bailed her out.

Kazemi laughs and teases the officer but also says she's scared of going to jail.

As the officer questioned her, she got a call from someone who identified himself as Steve. Police Spokesman Don Aaron would not confirm the caller was McNair but said that could be inferred from the conversation.

The caller, who could be heard through speaker phone, told Kazemi the officer was one who had arrested him before.

Taylor stopped McNair and his brother-in-law in May 2007. McNair was charged with DUI because police said he allowed someone who was inebriated to drive his vehicle. That charge was later dropped.

"Do not let him know anything," the caller said.

Kazemi interrupted him to say, "I know, baby, you're on the speakerphone."

She told the officer later, "He told me I was going to meet you someday."

OOOPS!!

Last edited:
Police: McNair shot dead in sleep by girlfriend

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-mcnairkilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

her belief that he was seeing someone else?

:thinking: his wife?

Well... crap. I was really hoping that they wouldn't have announced the results of the investigation just yet. I was hoping this thread would live on to be larger than the Michael Jackson thread.

Great website over there at websleuths, Hookem. It got many of the posters in here active in a positive manner for the most part. I really enjoyed this thread. Brought back memories of my Encylopedia Brown sleuthing days. Great job for those who contributed their deduction skills!

McNair had filmed suicide prevention ad weeks before his death

Before his unexpected death on July 4, former Tennessee Titan quarterback Steve McNair had continued his tradition of civic involvement by filming a public service announcement for the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities, The City Paper has learned.

Sources say the advertisement was filmed, and editors were working on taglines and voiceovers when the deaths were discovered.

When asked about the existence of the PSA, the mental health department confirmed that the filming had occurred.

“We were developing a PSA but it never reached the point of being aired and it seems broadcasting it now is not only inappropriate but doesn't serve the community, his family or memory, or the issue we hoped the PSA would help address,” said Jill Hudson, the department’s communications director.

Sometime in the early morning hours of Saturday, July 4, McNair was murdered by his 20-year-old girlfriend Sahel Kazemi, the Metro Police Department officially announced Wednesday. Kazemi then turned a gun on herself.

The Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities has a suicide prevention hot line. That number is 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Wow.

link

Me too, Wow.

“We were developing a PSA but it never reached the point of being aired and it seems broadcasting it now is not only inappropriate but doesn't serve the community, his family or memory, or the issue we hoped the PSA would help address,” said Jill Hudson, the department’s communications director.

I couldn't agree more with the above quote and I agree with not running it, but then on the other hand what a powerful 30 seconds of film it would be.

McNair was the kind of guy that would buy his mistress an Escalade and make her pay for it.

It's a great gig if you have no morals.

Not saying it's right (in fact it's sad) but I understand why she shot him.

I find it ironic that McNair would cheat on his mistress and wife with another woman.

What did Kazemi think was going to happen?

No doubt McNair got around town so to speak. LOL

There is never a reason to shoot someone, especially not having an affair with a married man. No understanding here. She needed to move along and party with someone else from Dave and Busters

There is never a reason to shoot someone, especially not having an affair with a married man. No understanding here. She needed to move along and party with someone else from Dave and Busters

Agreed

I wish it would have ended with her moving on. (For both of them)

It's just a sad situation.

It's not as if the Nashville Police said the right hand tested clean. They actually addressed this very specifically...

Police believe that Kazemi had two hands on the gun while shooting McNair, explaining the trace amount of gunshot residue on her left hand, but held the gun in only her right hand while shooting herself, Serpas said. Serpas indicated that the condition of her body left investigators unable to test Kazemi's right hand for gunshot residue.
LINK

Last edited:
Lesson Learned: If you are going to cat on your wife, stick with Hooters. Dave & Busters is trouble.

Seriously, a whole bunch of athletes just decided to stop visiting certain cities, changed their addresses and their phone numbers.

Lesson Learned: If you are going to cat on your wife, stick with Hooters. Dave & Busters is trouble.

Seriously, a whole bunch of athletes just decided to stop visiting certain cities, changed their addresses and their phone numbers.

OR, if you are screwing around, make sure he or she does not have a firearm :)

Good article about George saying he thought he struggled with life after football

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/09/mcnair.eddiegeorge/index.html

"
I think underneath it all he was in search of filling a void -- and that stems from not playing the game. And that's what happens. Unfortunately," George said.

"I just know from experience that when you're used to doing something for so long that you love to do -- how do you fill that void?" George continued. "You're in search of something. Most players may go back to things they used to know. They may revert back to drugs, divorce rates go up, obesity. You're looking for something comforting.

For Steve, it was uncharacteristic for him to be out there with this young lady like that. However, he was in search for something. So there's a much deeper issue here than just Steve and extramarital affairs. It was a person searching for something. So we need to have compassion for Steve and the young lady and his wife and family -- and really embrace that and celebrate his life and learn from anything else."

George added, "I'm pretty sure if he were here today he'd say, 'You know what I'm sorry. Things happen. I'm a man.' But he had a beautiful heart. He was a beautiful spirit."

Yep, Warren Moon is definitely NOT one of my fav players of all time. Some has to do with the way he treated his wife, but, more of it has to do with the things I heard about him deliberately throwing games for money. I don't know what's true and what's not, and really don't care anymore. What he, or any football player, does with their personal life is none of my business, BUT, IF he was indeed quilty of throwing a game, then I will hate him until the day I die. NOthing I could do if his wife was to weak to file charges against the bastard, BUT, I will not honor that same bastard for screwing over thousands of Oiler fans.

SheTexan,
I am, like you, not a huge fan of Moon. He was such a choker, no pun intended, that you just knew the guy would find some way to lose the game at the last minute. He put up some great numbers and threw a nice ball, but his mental and physical toughness were sorely lacking at crunch time and he will always go down to me as a choker. Romo is like the white version of Warren Moon. The awwshucks demeanor, no leadership or accountability, and the consistent noshow in the big games and biggest moments.

If I was Buddy Ryan, I would have gone up and punched Moon and not Gilbride for that stat mongering act v. the Jets. a marcus robertson knee injury ended MR's season and they should have just run the ball and ran out the clock. We already had a first round bye locked up and nothing but garbage stats to gain by passing play after play. Oh, and if MR is in that game versus a legitimate big game QB, Joe Montana, I don't think he connects on that pass over the middle to Cash.

However, as much as I don't care for the guy, I can't envision him ever fixing games or point shaving. I have never heard of him being out of control gambling or in debt, and that is how the scumbags get their claws in ya.

SheTexan,
I am, like you, not a huge fan of Moon. He was such a choker, no pun intended, that you just knew the guy would find some way to lose the game at the last minute. He put up some great numbers and threw a nice ball, but his mental and physical toughness were sorely lacking at crunch time and he will always go down to me as a choker. Romo is like the white version of Warren Moon. The awwshucks demeanor, no leadership or accountability, and the consistent noshow in the big games and biggest moments.

If I was Buddy Ryan, I would have gone up and punched Moon and not Gilbride for that stat mongering act v. the Jets. a marcus robertson knee injury ended MR's season and they should have just run the ball and ran out the clock. We already had a first round bye locked up and nothing but garbage stats to gain by passing play after play. Oh, and if MR is in that game versus a legitimate big game QB, Joe Montana, I don't think he connects on that pass over the middle to Cash.

However, as much as I don't care for the guy, I can't envision him ever fixing games or point shaving. I have never heard of him being out of control gambling or in debt, and that is how the scumbags get their claws in ya.

Why would you punch Moon when Cody Carson was the QB? :rolleyes:

Back to the topic of the thread. RIP Steve.....

I'm a little surprised Steve wasn't a bit more discreet in his dealings with this gal.

If his wife HAD suspected anything regarding him being unfaithful it sure would have been easy enough to find out...

co-signing car loans for her.
being caught in the car with her when she got arrested.
going on vacation with her.

It almost seems as though he and his wife lead fairly separate lives..she in Mississippi and he in Nashville.

Seems he was quite the skirt chaser.

I'm a little surprised Steve wasn't a bit more discreet in his dealings with this gal.

If his wife HAD suspected anything regarding him being unfaithful it sure would have been easy enough to find out...

co-signing car loans for her.
being caught in the car with her when she got arrested.
going on vacation with her.

It almost seems as though he and his wife lead fairly separate lives..she in Mississippi and he in Nashville.

Seems he was quite the skirt chaser.

I agree. Almost as if wife knew of his indiscretions and was ok with it.

My wife's radar goes off if I even glance at a nice rear end.

I agree. Almost as if wife knew of his indiscretions and was ok with it.

My wife's radar goes off if I even glance at a nice rear end.

That's my deal too. I read someone else talking about this too. My wife is cool with me grabbing a few ice cold ones with my friends, even after we had the kids, etc. She knows I enjoy it. But if it is getting past dinner or a little later there are a few calls, etc. just to see when I'll be back and to plan dinner or whatever. It would take ALOT of work to do all of those things and not get caught. As said above, I think it must have been a case of him doing his own thing and her being at home content that he was out in his first year out of football.

Somebody in Steve's circle of friends said his wife had "no idea" who this girl was...

one thing is for certain IF she suspected him of misbehaving and had hired a detective that would have been the easiest paycheck they ever made because he wasn't exactly hiding her.

The first head scratching moment I had in this whole story was when some report said he spent so much time at her condo that the neighbors thought he lived there! HUH?

And even this girl thought he had a new girl and had checked him out with her but didn't approach her. I bet THAT girl is thinking to herself that she very easily could have gotten killed herself.

How bout the guy who sold the gun to the girl?

I'll bet he's sh!ttin peach seeds worrying if his name will ever be revealed to the public.

This whole situation is very sad but I'm still really surprised that he was so open about his relationship with this girl...

makes you wonder what he did tell her? Promise her?

This whole situation is very sad but I'm still really surprised that he was so open about his relationship with this girl...

makes you wonder what he did tell her? Promise her?

That's an interesting point, and would certainly share some responsibility of blame if he was leading this psycho-woman on with untruths. Obviously, she is 100% guilty of the crime, but, in the bigger picture, McNair wouldn't be dead if he had not been messing around, and maybe wouldn't be dead if it was just a fling to both parties. It appears from the outside looking in that she was expecting a lot more than he was willing/planning to give.

It's the age-old saying of women will give sex for love, and men will give love for sex. She seems to have had great expectations, and the potential letdown that has been alluded to in this thread was something that sent her rather fragile mind over the edge of sanity.

Obviously, just speculation on my part, trying to make any sense of this tragedy.

Very true. He put himself entirely in this position. Was he going back to his wife and planning on dumping this girl? Was he planning on ditching his wife and hooking up with this girl? We don't know but the one thing I do know from those two questions is that Steve McNair was in the process of taking an enormous dump on somebody's world.

I'm thinking karma doesn't play games.

Tell me if I'm wrong but I watched some of the video of her being arrested and he called a cab with his friend and left her there...unless I missed something I think the officer had to tell her he had gone.

I know he bailed her out but that seems weird that he would run off then and yet take vacations with her and rent condos for her and co-sign loans for her.

Very true. He put himself entirely in this position. Was he going back to his wife and planning on dumping this girl? Was he planning on ditching his wife and hooking up with this girl? We don't know but the one thing I do know from those two questions is that Steve McNair was in the process of taking an enormous dump on somebody's world.

I'm thinking karma doesn't play games.

Right. And overall you have to look at it from afar...20 year old, murdered Mom, mvoed from other country, moved with bf at 17 to that area, just out of 4 year relationship with bf, waitress with needs.............overall, not a person to be really putting your family life at risk for. As most have said, there are no excuses for murder and it is a sad case but a cautionary tale.

Last edited:
It's been awhile, but I've spent some time in Nashville. Nice city, real nice but not a "major" city in the sense that say Houston is where one can find some real anonymity in different parts of the city while maintaining a "primary residence" in another part. I dunno, did he and the wife have an "undertanding" ?

Tell me if I'm wrong but I watched some of the video of her being arrested and he called a cab with his friend and left her there...unless I missed something I think the officer had to tell her he had gone.

I know he bailed her out but that seems weird that he would run off then and yet take vacations with her and rent condos for her and co-sign loans for her.

The way it worked. I'm sure, is that the cop is basically running the show and instead of arresting him also, they told him to cab home.(that is what I had read..they told him they would allow him to get a ride) I'm sure sticking around wasn't what the cops wanted and they pretty much probably told him to get going. Loitering until she officially left wasn't going to happen.

Last edited:
The way it worked. I'm sure, is that the cop basically was running the show and isntead of arresting him also, they told him to cab home. I'm sure sticking around wasn't what the cops wanted and they pretty much probably told him to get going. Loitering until she officially left wasn't going to happen.

I am sure you are right...wonder if they were impaired as well.

She told the cop she was high..not drunk.

I dunno..it's a sad situation...his wife is very attractive..so she's left wondering supposedly what the heck he was up to..he has 4 kids now with no dad.

And this young lady's family as well..

Vacations........getting ass move
Rent condo......getting ass move
Leave scene....cover your ass move
Bail out...........cover your ass move
Co-sign loan.....dumb ass move

So basically this dude just liked getting all kinds of tail and apparently that led to his being killed when he unfortunately hooked up with a slightly unhinged 20 year old.

Agreed

the moral of this story should be (you play, you pay).

The sad tale of a man who should have never married...

makes no sense if all he's going to do is cat around with strippers and 20 year old waitresses.

Back