Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Pre New Years Eve Mock 1.0

Howard tore his patellar. He might not be ready for the season.
They aren't going to spend a 1st rd pick on a RT when they're paying Howard 18 mil. They may pick a developmental guy later and sign a guy like Fant or Jones until Howard gets healthy.

You didn’t even want Stroud.

giphy.gif

Stroud needs better protection on the right side & Texans need to upgrade RT with insurance to have a guy that could flip to the left side if Tunsil demands another huge contract. I’ve given up on Howard.

Third dynamic Edge rusher needed, especially if Greenard gets a huge free agent offer. Chop has relentless motor with polished tools. Different body type than Will Anderson, uses speed and leverage to get under pads and drive through blocker. Compact, thick lower body, no wasted steps who takes direct angles to his target.

Jenkins would be Rankings replacement as he’s getting older and should be a force in one or two years as such. Great against the run, cat quick with great bloodlines

Tell me I can upgrade RB room late in 3rd for a back with great vision, who fits Slowicks offense, well rounded, can block, catch, run between the tackles or kick outside the hashes, I’m in. He’s a beefed up Austin Eckler. Two players off National Champions, where Nico Collins played. Guess Stroud wouldn’t mind another Wolverine once they get to know each other, but I did factor that in as well.

My easy money is on the RB from Tennessee, Jaylan Wright (5-10 @ 210 lbs) who has a 4.31-40 burst. Good vision with a one-cut go running style. He had a very nice 2023 season and could quietly be there in RD4. The Texans already had one good roll of the dice with a Vols RB…..I’d be willing to do it again.

I could reasonably think that the following players would be available at the Texans picks now that the Browns (OURS) has been determined:

RD1: OT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma). Read up on this guy to see why I like him. RT who has all the talent and tenacity to play big on either side of the OL. Guyton’s stock is rising fast and I’d hate to miss out on a talent like him. Swing tackle in 2024 or starter as Howard will probably be out at some point again. He’d be available for LT or RT duties in 2025.

RD2: WR- Brenden Rice (USC). Big (6-3 @ 210 lbs) fluid mover who’s a true hands catcher. Has the desired 4.3-40 speed to go along with his pedigree. He’d be a great addition to Collins and Dell tandem. With a WR class this deep, he should fall right into the Texans lap.

RD3: TE- Cade Stover (Ohio State). A target at TE that Stroud is familiar with, but outside of CJ’s familiarity….Stover does it all TE. He’s 6-4 @ 251 lbs and could do more than offer chip blocks when needed. Add Stover to Schultz / Jordan and the Texans TE room is going to be plenty healthy. Stover should be there for the taking in RD3.

RD4: RB- Jaylan Wright (Tennessee). 5-10 @ 210 lbs…..4.31-40 time should be the speed desired out of the backfield. Had his breakout season this year, which means he didn’t overuse his body in CFB. Wright should be here as well.

RD4: SS- Jaden Hicks (Washington State). 6-3 @ 212 lbs. He’s a big safety who can cover the intermediate routes, play the run, and blitz when needed. He could be too good to fall to RD4, but I’m hoping he does. This is the only pick I wouldn’t be pretty certain to be in the Texans line of sight come their RD4 picks. On the other hand, I’d have no issue with trying to trade up in RD4 to secure his services. Picks and a player might make this happen.

I could reasonably think that the following players would be available at the Texans picks now that the Browns (OURS) has been determined:

RD1: OT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma). Read up on this guy to see why I like him. RT who has all the talent and tenacity to play big on either side of the OL. Guyton’s stock is rising fast and I’d hate to miss out on a talent like him. Swing tackle in 2024 or starter as Howard will probably be out at some point again. He’d be available for LT or RT duties in
I’ve been warming up to the idea of drafting a OT this draft. Mainly for he ideas listed above. I’m expecting most of the WRs to be off he board when we pick, a bunch of the DT talent seems to be I round 2-3 and while S is a need I’m not sure it’s a R1 need

I’ve been warming up to the idea of drafting a OT this draft. Mainly for he ideas listed above. I’m expecting most of the WRs to be off he board when we pick, a bunch of the DT talent seems to be I round 2-3 and while S is a need I’m not sure it’s a R1 need
It better be a right tackle as we need something to replace howard. I'm still looking at Trent Brown from New England. Left tackle this year at over 80% pff. He plays right tackle supposedly even better. Don't let his injuries fool you as most of that was him trying to get an extension in my opinion.

RD1: OT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma). Read up on this guy to see why I like him. RT who has all the talent and tenacity to play big on either side of the OL. Guyton’s stock is rising fast and I’d hate to miss out on a talent like him. Swing tackle in 2024 or starter as Howard will probably be out at some point again. He’d be available for LT or RT duties in 2025.

RD2: WR- Brenden Rice (USC). Big (6-3 @ 210 lbs) fluid mover who’s a true hands catcher. Has the desired 4.3-40 speed to go along with his pedigree. He’d be a great addition to Collins and Dell tandem. With a WR class this deep, he should fall right into the Texans lap.

RD3: TE- Cade Stover (Ohio State). A target at TE that Stroud is familiar with, but outside of CJ’s familiarity….Stover does it all TE. He’s 6-4 @ 251 lbs and could do more than offer chip blocks when needed. Add Stover to Schultz / Jordan and the Texans TE room is going to be plenty healthy. Stover should be there for the taking in RD3.

RD4: RB- Jaylan Wright (Tennessee). 5-10 @ 210 lbs…..4.31-40 time should be the speed desired out of the backfield. Had his breakout season this year, which means he didn’t overuse his body in CFB. Wright should be here as well.

RD4: SS- Jaden Hicks (Washington State). 6-3 @ 212 lbs. He’s a big safety who can cover the intermediate routes, play the run, and blitz when needed. He could be too good to fall to RD4, but I’m hoping he does. This is the only pick I wouldn’t be pretty certain to be in the Texans line of sight come their RD4 picks. On the other hand, I’d have no issue with trying to trade up in RD4 to secure his services. Picks and a player might make this happen.

I have a feeling this team as long as CJ is around will never need to draft a wide receiver again. The free agent WR’s will be fighting to come to this team.

Sorry guys lot of football watching with a lot to digest. First, can’t tell you how big that win over Cleveland was. Not only do the Texans have another OP (tbd) but enhances selection Texans receive in 1st for Deshaun Watson trade (early 20’s tbd).
Does Green Bay and their young QB Love remind anyone of Texans and CJ? What ass whooping they put on Cowboys. Now Detroit is putting it on Rams. Think we might be selecting just in front of the Cowboys. Belichick will probably be coaching/new GM? Lot of poker in 2024 draft.

Sorry guys lot of football watching with a lot to digest. First, can’t tell you how big that win over Cleveland was. Not only do the Texans have another OP (tbd) but enhances selection Texans receive in 1st for Deshaun Watson trade (early 20’s tbd).
Does Green Bay and their young QB Love remind anyone of Texans and CJ? What ass whooping they put on Cowboys. Now Detroit is putting it on Rams. Think we might be selecting just in front of the Cowboys. Belichick will probably be coaching/new GM? Lot of poker in 2024 draft.
Cowboys losing helped the Texans draft slot. Exactly in the range for Brian Thomas.

Look at Quinyon Mitchell and Cole Bishop.

They would make great 2nd/3rd rd picks. IMHO But you know about me and CB's.

What about AD Mitchell from UT? I think he would be a great fit with the Texans with his RAC ability.
Mitchell is like Collins in how he runs his routes. I'm looking for a wr corp where everybody has different skillets. Not saying Mitchell can't become a great player, but I really like the top 6 WR's in this draft

That's my top 6.

I kinda wonder if they might go with a vet WR in FA like Ridley and fill the holes in the defense mainly through the draft?

Very possible, especially if WR prices in FA get driven down because of such a strong draft class at the position.

I wouldn’t mind poaching Michael Pittman from the Colts.

Mitchell is like Collins in how he runs his routes. I'm looking for a wr corp where everybody has different skillets. Not saying Mitchell can't become a great player, but I really like the top 6 WR's in this draft
Along the same lines, there are guys outside of the Top 6 who can fill roles. Just using the rest of the UT receivers as examples; Worthy is the speed merchant (might be the fastest of this year's receivers) and Whittington is the guy who will do everything you ask, every play, every practice; along with good hands and good route running.

I like the Top 6 and if one falls I will be screaming for one of them; but I'm not going to break down if they don't. Neither Nico or Amon-Ra were Round 1 or 2 picks, so it can be done.

This is a very deep WR class so taking one a bit lower is okay - but it has to be either the first or second pick to get a possible WR #1.
The odds of jagging a Puka Nacua are low if you are taking one in the 3rd or lower.
Oh, and I like A Mitchell also.
Texans already have #1 & #1a wide receivers in Dell & Collins. There will be a run on WR's as well, last year it began pick @20-23 with mixed results, from starter to bust. Texans can get a premium slot in 3rd maybe 4th and speed guy round 7. The positions of most interest early are usually OT's, CB's and Edge rushers. Lot of this will depend on how Caserio manages players currently on roster, namely FA Greenard, Nelson, Nico Collins (2025), Rankins (Malik Collins in 2025) and of course Tunsil (2025). Can't give the house away with needing to lock up Stroud in 2025 so hard decisions will need to be made. You should consider those situations when building a mock draft. If edge rusher falls in your laps 1st rd. Starting/Rotational DT in 2nd those seem like priorities, maybe get lucky with a swing tackle in 3rd who can win starting RT job (shed wasted salary Howard) then has the feet to play leftside, hes a super cheap option to 120-130 million dollar Tunsil. Expect Texans to pick near end of middle in each round, excellent position to grab value that slips through the cracks.

Texans already have #1 & #1a wide receivers in Dell & Collins. There will be a run on WR's as well, last year it began pick @20-23 with mixed results, from starter to bust. Texans can get a premium slot in 3rd maybe 4th and speed guy round 7. The positions of most interest early are usually OT's, CB's and Edge rushers. Lot of this will depend on how Caserio manages players currently on roster, namely FA Greenard, Nelson, Nico Collins (2025), Rankins (Malik Collins in 2025) and of course Tunsil (2025). Can't give the house away with needing to lock up Stroud in 2025 so hard decisions will need to be made. You should consider those situations when building a mock draft. If edge rusher falls in your laps 1st rd. Starting/Rotational DT in 2nd those seem like priorities, maybe get lucky with a swing tackle in 3rd who can win starting RT job (shed wasted salary Howard) then has the feet to play leftside, hes a super cheap option to 120-130 million dollar Tunsil. Expect Texans to pick near end of middle in each round, excellent position to grab value that slips through the cracks.
Last year's WR class was not as good or deep as this one - especially the top 10 or so.
I do think our top two are #1's but we have already seen that Tank may have durability issues due to his size and oh how nice it would be to have some quality depth right now...sure, we could try to get one in FA, but that will come with a price so why not get one on a rookie deal?
Like you say, we have no clue how our off-season will pan out right now so it's gonna be a ride.
At this point, we could just as reasonably go BPA at PoN and still improve the team - including the trenches - an improvement at RT would be golden for example.
Lots of possibilities at this point.

My problem isn't with Dell/Collins. When they were both out with an injury Stroud had his worst game of the year because he didn't have anyone to throw the ball to. Getting him another playmaker on the offense is what I would do. If you have three #1 WR's for Stroud to throw the ball to this offense will be elite. If Odunze or Thomas is available for us in the 1st, I wouldn't hesitate.

I would add Troy Franklin to that list... maybe ahead of Legette
I would be happy with Franklin in the 2nd if we don't take a WR in the first. I really like Legette because of his size/speed combination.

Reactions: JB
McConkey is the guy I want if they decide to pick a WR after rd 2.

The cap should go up quite a bit in 2025. I look at the roster like this

There can be 5 top paid guys on the roster.

25 market level to above market level guys.

20 Vet minimum and draft pick guys on the roster.

My 5 top paid guys if they don't bring in a high paid FA are,

Stroud, Collins, Tunsil, Stingley, Greenard. Although I'm not crazy on paying Greenard top dollar on a deal. I would tag Greenard at least once maybe even twice to make sure he can stay healthy.

Last edited:
Last year's WR class was not as good or deep as this one - especially the top 10 or so.
I do think our top two are #1's but we have already seen that Tank may have durability issues due to his size and oh how nice it would be to have some quality depth right now...sure, we could try to get one in FA, but that will come with a price so why not get one on a rookie deal?
Like you say, we have no clue how our off-season will pan out right now so it's gonna be a ride.
At this point, we could just as reasonably go BPA at PoN and still improve the team - including the trenches - an improvement at RT would be golden for example.
Lots of possibilities at this point.
I’m looking at OL on day 2/early day 3.

Guys I’m eyeing are as follows:
Roger Rosengarten RT UW- accepted Senior Bowl invitation
Kingsley Suamataia OT BYU- accepted Senior Bowl invitation
Tyler Guyton RT Oklahoma- accepted Senior Bowl invitation
Sataoa Lamea OT Utah- accepted Senior Bowl invitation
Kiran Amegadjie Yale

Guys for later day 3 I’m intrigued by:

CJ Hansen iOL Holy Cross- accepted Shrine Bowl invitation
Jalen Sundel OT NDSU- accepted Shrine Bowl invitation
Matt Gonclaves OT Pitt- accepted Shrine Bowl invitation

Many of these guys have potential to be depth with starter potential.

I’m looking at OL on day 2/early day 3.

Kingsley Suamataia OT BYU- accepted Senior Bowl invitation
Tyler Guyton RT Oklahoma- accepted Senior Bowl invitation
Sataoa Lamea OT Utah- accepted Senior Bowl invitation
Kiran Amegadjie Yale

Guys for later day 3 I’m intrigued by:

CJ Hansen iOL Holy Cross- accepted Shrine Bowl invitation
Jalen Sundel OT NDSU- accepted Shrine Bowl invitation
Matt Gonclaves OT Pitt- accepted Shrine Bowl invitation

Many of these guys have potential to be depth with starter potential.

I haven't spent any time on the 3 guys you listed except Gonclaves who I like a lot as a mid rd swing OT.

Mitchell is like Collins in how he runs his routes.
Right, no one would want 2 Nico* Collins.

* Nothing against Malik Collins. You'd want 2 of him, too.

This guy almost got Penix killed in the national championship game. Not ready for prime time.

Last edited:
McConkey is the guy I want if they decide to pick a WR after rd 2.

The cap should go up quite a bit in 2025. I look at the roster like this

There can be 5 top paid guys on the roster.

25 market level to above market level guys.

20 Vet minimum and draft pick guys on the roster.

My 5 top paid guys if they don't bring in a high paid FA are,

Stroud, Collins, Tunsil, Stingley, Greenard. Although I'm not crazy on paying Greenard top dollar on a deal. I would tag Greenard at least once maybe even twice to make sure he can stay healthy.
So what would be his cap hit 20 million?

Right, no one would want 2 Malik Collins.

This guy almost got Penix killed in the national championship game. Not ready for prime time.
While I can agree that he didn’t have a great championship game, I think he could develop into a starter.
IMG_1441.jpeg
He didn’t give up a single sack in the 2 years he played at RT. With the veterans on the team, I think he’d be able to improve.

This site is infected. Sad. Will Anderson did not sack Flacco Malik Collins did, Will was there clean-up only.

While I can agree that he didn’t have a great championship game, I think he could develop into a starter.
It's not just the results from the game. He didn't move like a pro athlete should. I never thought I was looking a pro prospect. He's getting another shot to change minds in the Senior Bowl. I don't see it.

It's not just the results from the game. He didn't move like a pro athlete should. I never thought I was looking a pro prospect. He's getting another shot to change minds in the Senior Bowl. I don't see it.
You could be right. He will definitely be challenged at the senior bowl. There are tons of top DL and OL prospects.

Right, no one would want 2 Nico* Collins.

* Nothing against Malik Collins. You'd want 2 of him, too.

I'm a UT fan so it would be great if the Texans drafted Mitchell. I'm not going to be the guy advocating for Mitchell over Odunze or Thomas just because he went to UT though. I think I would have Mitchell as the #7 WR in this draft behind Legette.

My problem isn't with Dell/Collins. When they were both out with an injury Stroud had his worst game of the year because he didn't have anyone to throw the ball to. Getting him another playmaker on the offense is what I would do. If you have three #1 WR's for Stroud to throw the ball to this offense will be elite. If Odunze or Thomas is available for us in the 1st, I wouldn't hesitate.
Or Keon Coleman.

The more I see James Williams and Karmen Kitchens, the more I think the Texans should draft both or at least 1. James Williams of Miami is a joker at safety.
I haven't watched any of Miami this yr except their bowl game. I didn't notice them. Did they play?

Is Williams more of a coverage S or a box S?

Checkout Cole Bishop and tell me what you think. I really like him.

If they let Greenard walk I'm trying to figure out a way to get Chop Robinson, Cooper DeJohn and either Bucky Irving or Wright.

Back