Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Pre New Years Eve Mock 1.0

I'm looking for a bell cow RB that improves the position for the next 4-5 years. Singletary is a great complimentary back. You don't pass on a talent like Thomas or Legette because you've got Collins and Dell. You add to them. I like Thomas and Legette enough to move them ahead of Sweat.
I definitely agree that Singletary is not the Bell cow that we need. I would not be surprised if some other team snaps him up for more free agency money than Nick wants to pay. Good thing is free agency should be resolved by the draft so we will know what we have. What I think is going to happen is the Texans will extend Singletary and pick up a strong complementary back, maybe two.

This WR class is really deep. I wouldn't mind if they get greedy and draft two of these WR's early. Say draft Thomas/Legette in the first and then Worthy or Polk (really the WR that impressed me in Washington game against Texas). Really give Stroud some playmakers.
I also would be okay with that. I can see two wide receivers early if casario trades out of the round one pic.

I definitely agree that Singletary is not the Bell cow that we need. I would not be surprised if some other team snaps him up for more free agency money than Nick wants to pay. Good thing is free agency should be resolved by the draft so we will know what we have. What I think is going to happen is the Texans will extend Singletary and pick up a strong complementary back, maybe two.
I could see this. One good thing is Singletary has said that he wants to come back.

You can't go wrong giving Stroud playmakers.
I understand the idea of having a good defense to get opposing offenses off the field but if you don't have an effective offense to take advantage of that, then you could be locked into low scoring games.
Having an efficient offense can prolong drives and rest up the D as well as create more scoring opportunities. Besides, defenses tend to play better when they are in a good position on the scoreboard rather than on a hiding for nothing.
Keeping the opposing D on the field will gas them opening even more scoring opportunities.
One more weapon at receiver will give opposing Defenses big problems with CJ's arm - add in a strong 1-2 punch out of the backfield with another quality back and our O will be unstoppable.

Last edited:
I understand the idea of having a good defense to get opposing offenses off the field but if you don't have an effective offense to take advantage of that, then you could be locked into low scoring games.
Having an efficient offense can prolong drives and rest up the D as well as create more scoring opportunities. Besides, defenses tend to play better when they are in a good position on the scoreboard rather than on a hiding for nothing.
Keeping the opposing D on the field will gas them opening even more scoring opportunities.
One more weapon at receiver will give opposing Defenses big problems with CJ's arm - add in a strong 1-2 punch out of the backfield with another quality back and our O will be unstoppable.
Agree. Defensive tackles in my opinion rarely stop points from being put on the board. There are some long runs through the middle that do eventually lead to points but I think that is not the problem with the texans. We need Playmakers and point producers.

Build it and they will come.

I think red zone issues are biggest issue with the team. Drafting playmakers like Thomas, Benson, Stover would probably help them avg 5-7 more points per game and solve a lot of issues.

I also think if Ryans and Caserio bring back Greenard, Rankins, Tartt and Barnett they will be fine. Of course if they were to add a difference making LB, DT,S in FA that would be optimal.
I think they'll be able to get a Thomas, McMillan or Brendan Rice along with a Brooks, Corum or Henderson or Irving as well as a Sanders, Lachey or Stover later, if they can add a Sweat to that OMG

I think they'll be able to get a Thomas, McMillan or Brendan Rice along with a Brooks, Corum or Henderson or Irving as well as a Sanders, Lachey or Stover later, if they can add a Sweat to that OMG
They should be able to add 2 of the WR's. 1 of the TE and at least one of the RB's. Replace Sweat with Murphy and this is possible.

BTW, is Lachey coming out this year?

They should be able to add 2 of the WR's. 1 of the TE and at least one of the RB's. Replace Sweat with Murphy and this is possible.

BTW, is Lachey coming out this year?
I think you could add Sweat & Murphy, 1 WR, 1TE & 1RB. This is what I would prefer

I think you could add Sweat & Murphy, 1 WR, 1TE & 1RB. This is what I would prefer
To each their own, I'm not passing up on top weapons for Stroud.

I can see where you're coming from though. A lot has to do with which direction they decide to go in FA.

Agree. Defensive tackles in my opinion rarely stop points from being put on the board. There are some long runs through the middle that do eventually lead to points but I think that is not the problem with the texans. We need Playmakers and point producers.

I agree with this. In today’s league you need chunk plays. Texans have a top 5 run defense but that does not matter as much when teams can complete almost 70% of their passes in a pass heavy league.

However, Texans are also in a unique position where the Texans have a QB that elevates the players around him and a HC who specializes in defense. Where do they decide to allocate resources?

Mahomes has Kelce, Burrow has Chase, Allen has Diggs so it makes sense to find that premium weapon for your QB. But will be interesting to see how the team decides to approach the draft.

We know if they fall in love with a player they will find a way to go up and get them… it will be an exciting offseason!

This one ain't bad either.
1704437016936.png
To each their own, I'm not passing up on top weapons for Stroud.

I can see where you're coming from though. A lot has to do with which direction they decide to go in FA.
Agree.
When you have a quality QB like Stroud, you gotta surround him with quality pieces to get the most out of him, otherwise you're squandering an opportunity.
Makes sense to me anyway.

This one ain't bad either.
View attachment 13349
Agree.
When you have a quality QB like Stroud, you gotta surround him with quality pieces to get the most out of him, otherwise you're squandering an opportunity.
Makes sense to me anyway.

I agree that when you have a QB like Stroud you surround him with quality pieces. But just like Brady you don’t need the best pieces to over compensate for gaps in talent. Not saying you are saying that.

I just think that Stroud’s best compliment to his offensive firepower is going to be a top 3 defense. He can make WRs and TEs better than what they are. He will elevate their game.

QBs like Tua need Tyreek.

So we don’t worry about getting the number 1 WR or TE on the board.

Reactions: JB
I agree that when you have a QB like Stroud you surround him with quality pieces. But just like Brady you don’t need the best pieces to over compensate for gaps in talent. Not saying you are saying that.

I just think that Stroud’s best compliment to his offensive firepower is going to be a top 3 defense. He can make WRs and TEs better than what they are. He will elevate their game.

Yeah, defense wins championships, but so do top tier QB's - like Brady. CJ is not there (yet!) so let's make it easy for him!
Remember how bad our defense has been in the last few seasons? I think a good motivational HC like DR can make average Joe's perform above their pay grade as we have seen this year.
Not giving your young QB every chance to succeed by giving him good pieces and a complete offense is like hiring a master builder to build you a mansion and giving him grampas hand me down box of tools - not throwing shade on the guys we already have but you get my drift.
Think of it like this - how much higher would you rate our chances against the Clots if we had a healthy Tank Dell? Now add in a Mike Evans and you would feel pretty confident about our chances!
Oh and a young lion to help out our running game.

Last edited:
Yeah, defense wins championships, but so do top tier QB's - like Brady. CJ is not there (yet!) so let's make it easy for him!
Remember how bad our defense has been in the last few seasons? I think a good motivational HC like DR can make average Joe's perform above their pay grade as we have seen this year.
Not giving your young QB every chance to succeed by giving him good pieces and a complete offense is like hiring a master builder to build you a mansion and giving him grampas hand me down box of tools - not throwing shade on the guys we already have but you get my drift.
Think of it like this - how much higher would you rate our chances against the Clots if we had a healthy Tank Dell? Now add in a Mike Evans and you would feel pretty confident about our chances!
Oh and a young lion to help out our running game.[/B]

To the bolded. What you are asking DR to is the same I am asking CJ to do. The difference is CJ is on the field and DR is on the sidelines.

The average joes on defense looked good because who did we play against? A lot of average to below average teams. The defense is going to have to step it up against teams like the Ravens, 49ers, and Chiefs. As we win more games our schedule gets more difficult.

I don’t know what’s best, but I err on the side of spending money on defense when you have an offensive power like CJ. You break the bank for WRs when you have QBs like Tua.

But I agree with you. Just because you have CJ you can’t ignore the offense. You still have to get him playmakers like Dell. Improve where you can improve. And don’t neglect the Oline.

Took top rated player regardless of position (non QB) no trades.
Not what I would do or think the Texans would but gives an idea of who is available

1704499369722.png

You think if Tyreke was on the Texans they would already be in the playoffs. A guy like Tyreke opens up so much for an offense it's not quantifiable.

Took top rated player regardless of position (non QB) no trades.
Not what I would do or think the Texans would but gives an idea of who is available

View attachment 13352
Not what I would do, but this would be a very good draft. I see McConkey a lot like I see Dell. I could definitely see McConkey being picked by Caserio/Slowik/Ryans at 50.

Reactions: JB

I understand your point of view but if you can take a wide receiver like Thomas from LSU or Washington's Odunze or Troy Franklin from Oregon and have Stroud move them from very good to high Elite thousand yard rushers is what I want to see. If only Noah Brown had remained healthy all year.. but he didn't.

I understand your point of view but if you can take a wide receiver like Thomas from LSU or Washington's Odunze or Troy Franklin from Oregon and have Stroud move them from very good to high Elite thousand yard rushers is what I want to see. If only Noah Brown had remained healthy all year.. but he didn't.
Do whatever it takes to give Stroud his best chance to succeed. If the offense is on the field more and puts up more points then the defense should be better just by the fact that they should be more well rested and playing from ahead gives them a better chance to be successful. Think of how the Colts played with Manning but with a better HC.

Yes I said that, 1 championship with Manning while he was with the Colts was a team underachieving.

How much better is Odunze than Egbuka?
Or Franklin than Burton?
WR is very deep in this draft, you don't have to take one in round one

Or Franklin than Burton?
Odunze is a lot better

Franklin and Burton are pretty close. Both have deep speed but are going to struggle against more physical NFL CB's. IMHO. Maybe a better Bryan Edwards type WR.

You're right you dont have to take one in the 1st rd, but the difference makers will probably be gone by 2-50 and you will be left with the Burton/Mitchell/Franklin/Worthy's of the world. Not bad, but if I have a choice between these guys and a S like Nubin or a LB like Cooper I'm picking the defensive type guys.

Odunze is a lot better

Franklin and Burton are pretty close. Both have deep speed but are going to struggle against more physical NFL CB's. IMHO. Maybe a better Bryan Edwards type WR.

You're right you dont have to take one in the 1st rd, but the difference makers will probably be gone by 2-50 and you will be left with the Burton/Mitchell/Franklin/Worthy's of the world. Not bad, but if I have a choice between these guys and a S like Nubin or a LB like Cooper I'm picking the defensive type guys.
Agree.
You have to select from the strength of the draft while also considering the value of the position and the current status of your team:- for example, Texans obviously don't need a top QB
In this draft, on paper, the best value is in the WR corp.
Picking from the cream of the crop makes sense.

Last edited:
Or Franklin than Burton?
Odunze’s hands are strong. I’m excited to see how he performs against the Michigan DB’s.

But I agree with you that this draft is deep, so we don’t necessarily have to draft a WR in round 1. It’ll be interesting to see how the draft process goes and the board falls.

Burton is a sophomore. Franklin is like Hyatt, a deep threat. Egbuka is more slot. Odunze is a tital package. Brian Thomas, Harrison, Nabers, Leggett Odunze, are more complete wrs to me.
I used the wrong names I'm sure. I was trying to emphasize that it's not necessary to take a WR in the first to get a quality WR1

Odunze’s hands are strong. I’m excited to see how he performs against the Michigan DB’s.

But I agree with you that this draft is deep, so we don’t necessarily have to draft a WR in round 1. It’ll be interesting to see how the draft process goes and the board falls.
The draft is deep but you could also see a lot of them go early. Harrison Jr., Nabers, Coleman, Odunze, Thomas, Mitchell, Legette, McConkey & Egbuka could all possibly go in the first round, or at the very least before our pick in round 2.

Burton is a sophomore. Franklin is like Hyatt, a deep threat. Egbuka is more slot. Odunze is a tital package. Brian Thomas, Harrison, Nabers, Leggett Odunze, are more complete wrs to me.
If Caserio has the opportunity to draft one of the top 5 guys at 1-25 he should do it. IMHO. Where opportunity meets need. Weapons.

I like Thomas more than Legette, but the thought of pairing Legette and a guy like Irving is really appealing to me. Killer speed, playmakers.

I used the wrong names I'm sure. I was trying to emphasize that it's not necessary to take a WR in the first to get a quality WR1
Agreed, but there's a difference between a quality wr and a difference maker. A difference maker makes DC's stay up at night. A quality WR like say Juedy is nice but doesn't really move the playmaking needle.

Agreed, but there's a difference between a quality wr and a difference maker. A difference maker makes DC's stay up at night. A quality WR like say Juedy is nice but doesn't really move the playmaking needle.
You don't think Tank Dell and Puka Nakua are difference makers? Just 2 of the examples from this past draft of 33 WR's. Going further back has many more examples. There are so many WR's that some will be pushed down out of round 1.

You don't think Tank Dell and Puka Nakua are difference makers? Just 2 of the examples from this past draft of 33 WR's. Going further back has many more examples. There are so many WR's that some will be pushed down out of round 1.
Yes, but are the odds really that good for finding a Dell or Nacua in the late rds really that good?

You're more likely to draft a guy like Hutch who really doesn't move the needle.

Plus I'm a draft to the strength of the draft guy.

1. T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas, Stud that is the Texans new Vince Wilfork. Big man that moves extremely well for his size. Solves some of run game issues. Will make a great fit with Rankins/Collins.

Trade up into the top of the 2nd, say 2-45 using a 3rd/4th/7th.

2. Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU, Smooth operator, gets to top end speed in a flash. has the quickness and strengtht to beat press coverage. Everybody has Nabers as a top 15 guy I'm not sure this guy wont be the better pro WR.

2. Trey Benson RB Florida St., Big fast physical one cut RB with break away speed. Good in pass pro and has good hands. Every down RB that this team has really missed this year. Explosive

4. Rod Moore S Michigan, good coverage S and while not a physical tackler, he rarely misses tackles. If I had to trade a 2025 pick to move into the bottom of the 3rd to get this guy I would.

7. Jalyx Hunt DE Houston Christian, Fast developmental pass rusher, great 1st step. Will need to get strong to become more than a situational pass rusher.

7. Jared Wiley TE TCU, Big dude that's a strong blocker and has soft hands.

There are 4 playmakers that add badly needed speed to this team. A good blocking TE to pair with Schultz, who I bring back. Never can do wrong drafting developmental pass rushers.

Fill the LB/Edge needs in FA.

Thoughts?

I’m more in favor of trading down than up. Try to still hit on quality starters than superstars (Texans already have enough and will need to be paid soon). Quality & depth as we’ve seen how injuries can impact ceiling. Quick 3 rounder.
1705121606429.png

This is the year to give Stroud the most quality skill position players possible while Stroud's on his rookie deal. Go for it and dont look back. The more points scored = more wins. Give Stroud more weapons and more points/wins will follow.

This is the year to give Stroud the most quality skill position players possible while Stroud's on his rookie deal. Go for it and dont look back. The more points scored = more wins. Give Stroud more weapons and more points/wins will follow.
Stroud needs better protection on the right side & Texans need to upgrade RT with insurance to have a guy that could flip to the left side if Tunsil demands another huge contract. I’ve given up on Howard.

Third dynamic Edge rusher needed, especially if Greenard gets a huge free agent offer. Chop has relentless motor with polished tools. Different body type than Will Anderson, uses speed and leverage to get under pads and drive through blocker. Compact, thick lower body, no wasted steps who takes direct angles to his target.

Jenkins would be Rankings replacement as he’s getting older and should be a force in one or two years as such. Great against the run, cat quick with great bloodlines

Tell me I can upgrade RB room late in 3rd for a back with great vision, who fits Slowicks offense, well rounded, can block, catch, run between the tackles or kick outside the hashes, I’m in. He’s a beefed up Austin Eckler. Two players off National Champions, where Nico Collins played. Guess Stroud wouldn’t mind another Wolverine once they get to know each other, but I did factor that in as well.

This would be a sweet haul but project Murphy & Benson off board by those picks. Heck I would not be made if Texans selected Byron Muphey III end of first round. He’s gonna be a pro bowler DT, just what Texans/DeMeco want. WR class is deep. Also had Benson going early 2nd rd.
I think you could get Murphy in the 2nd and Bucky Irving in the 3rd. But you may need to trade up to the top half of the 3rd.

I'm happy if they go RB like Irving in the 2nd and McKinley Jackson in the 3rd.

Probably won't be there but if Cade Stover is there in the 3rd do you pick him over a RB like Irving or Brooks?

Stroud needs better protection on the right side & Texans need to upgrade RT with insurance to have a guy that could flip to the left side if Tunsil demands another huge contract. I’ve given up on Howard.

Third dynamic Edge rusher needed, especially if Greenard gets a huge free agent offer. Chop has relentless motor with polished tools. Different body type than Will Anderson, uses speed and leverage to get under pads and drive through blocker. Compact, thick lower body, no wasted steps who takes direct angles to his target.

Jenkins would be Rankings replacement as he’s getting older and should be a force in one or two years as such. Great against the run, cat quick with great bloodlines

Tell me I can upgrade RB room late in 3rd for a back with great vision, who fits Slowicks offense, well rounded, can block, catch, run between the tackles or kick outside the hashes, I’m in. He’s a beefed up Austin Eckler. Two players off National Champions, where Nico Collins played. Guess Stroud wouldn’t mind another Wolverine once they get to know each other, but I did factor that in as well.
I see Jenkins as a depth piece, not a long term starter. Corunnis a real good RB I like him a lot, but wonder why he split carries so much.

They paid Howard 18 mil per year. Like it or not, he's going to be the starting RT next year.

Back