Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

O'Brien himself said Rick never got him players the coaches didn't want. On mad dog radio with meltser. I've posted it before.

Yes I have a problem with fliers on kalil and Seantrel. They are washed and terrible and take the roster spots and snaps someone better should be taking.

Howard was a reach and they somehow completely misscouted him as an LT.

Rankin was also mis scouted as an LT. Somehow they already determined he's a bust? No I don't like trading last years third round pick for a journeyman RB..

Did you have a problem with them taking a flier on Demaryius Thomas. Taking cheap fliers on guys particularly when you have cap space is a smart thing to do as long as it doesn't affect cap space. You sure are tight with the McNair's $$$$.

3rd rd picks miss all of the time and getting a guy like Hyde that can help you this yr for a busty pick is a win.

In fact the Gaine did well in the 3rd rd of that draft. He hit on 66% of his 3rd rd picks in Reid/Akins. The fact that Reid could be a future all pro is a bonus. Do you expect all draft picks to hit? Most 1st rd picks weren't as good as Reid was last yr.

Well …. one guy was in the building 5 days.

There's a lot to be said for continuity at that position group.

The reads are one thing , switching the guy each is blocking on stunts is another monster altogether in real time.

Its one thing to know what to do and another to actually do it.

And then …. there's OB's playbook. That's just a comedy of errors.

Agree with this post except the last line.

Care to point out the comedy of errors last game in BOB's playbook?

The other consideration was depth. They had so many average players they were going to cut someone. I'm not so sure Rankin was safe to make this team.

Admitting you made a mistake and moving on is something this org has struggled with for yrs. If a guy you drafted in the 3rd rd cant play you move on and in this case they found a needed and useful RB for their busty pick and Dog still disagrees with the move. He must think Rankin has potential to be an all pro one day. Or he just hates all things BOB.

Well …. one guy was in the building 5 days.

There's a lot to be said for continuity at that position group.

The reads are one thing , switching the guy each is blocking on stunts is another monster altogether in real time.

Its one thing to know what to do and another to actually do it.

And then …. there's OB's playbook. That's just a comedy of errors.

It doesn’t help with their versatility philosophy either, using that valuable time in the summer playing musical chairs with these guys.

O'Brien himself said Rick never got him players the coaches didn't want. On mad dog radio with meltser. I've posted it before.

Yes I have a problem with fliers on kalil and Seantrel. They are washed and terrible and take the roster spots and snaps someone better should be taking.

Howard was a reach and they somehow completely misscouted him as an LT.

Rankin was also mis scouted as an LT. Somehow they already determined he's a bust? No I don't like trading last years third round pick for a journeyman RB..

Apparently you didn't hear the season ending PC with RS where BOB said he coaches the players given him. That should tell you who controlled personnel decisions but you cant see this because of all of your hate.

Tell me this, did you like the Gaine draft 2 yrs ago when they didn't have 1st or 2nd rd picks? Did you like the fact that RS traded away 1st/2nd rd picks?

If you didn't then please stop all of the BOB bitching.

Agree with this post except the last line.

Care to point out the comedy of errors last game in BOB's playbook?

4 guys out running routes …. two on each side , both outside the numbers.

Whole middle of the field .... nothing.

What's a TE ?

1st down , long developing pass play -
2nd down - RB up the gut
3rd down - WR screen.
4th down - punt.

How many times ?

Last edited:
It doesn’t help with their versatility philosophy either, using that valuable time in the summer playing musical chairs with these guys.

Agreed, but they had to figure out if Howard could play LT in the NFL. He cant, which is why the Tunsil trade was made. Hopefully Howard turns into another guy drafted to play LT and ended up being a 10 yr starter at LG. (Pitts)

4 guys out running routes …. two on each side , both outside the numbers.

Whole middle of the field .... nothing.

When there are guys in the middle of the field, many times Watson doesn't see them, unless Hopkins is in the slot. Last yr when Coutee was healthy Watson threw him the ball alot. Maybe Watson didn't trust Carter.

How many times did what you described happen? 10-15% of the time?

For me a lot of the reason we lost that game was because we were out coached. We were beating the Saints 14 to 3 at halftime. Both coaches went into the locker room and made their adjustments.

The Saints came out & outscored the Texans 27 to 14 because Sean Payton is capable of adjusting on the fly if things are not working.

Look at O'Brian's record:

He is 32/3 when leading at halftime.

He is 10/36 when losing at halftime.

What that tells me is he is fine if his game plan works or the other team plays bad but that he is terrible at making halftime adjustments. Which I would consider an absolute requirement to be a top coach in the NFL.

Apparently you didn't hear the season ending PC with RS where BOB said he coaches the players given him. That should tell you who controlled personnel decisions but you cant see this because of all of your hate.

Tell me this, did you like the Gaine draft 2 yrs ago when they didn't have 1st or 2nd rd picks? Did you like the fact that RS traded away 1st/2nd rd picks?

If you didn't then please stop all of the BOB bitching.

O'Brien got the guys he wanted in those drafts. Already provided supporting quotes many times. He is the head coach and has been telling the GM who to get.

Did you have a problem with them taking a flier on Demaryius Thomas. Taking cheap fliers on guys particularly when you have cap space is a smart thing to do as long as it doesn't affect cap space. You sure are tight with the McNair's $$$$.

3rd rd picks miss all of the time and getting a guy like Hyde that can help you this yr for a busty pick is a win.

In fact the Gaine did well in the 3rd rd of that draft. He hit on 66% of his 3rd rd picks in Reid/Akins. The fact that Reid could be a future all pro is a bonus. Do you expect all draft picks to hit? Most 1st rd picks weren't as good as Reid was last yr.

A third was way too much for a Demaryus Thomas half season rental. Akins is barely being used.

Reid was a great pick by Crennel.

A third was way too much for a Demaryus Thomas half season rental. Akins is barely being used.

Reid was a great pick by Crennel.

A 4th is what was given up for D. Thomas.

So why is it that Crennel gets credit for the good picks and not the bad picks? KJo ring a bell?

Akins looked good in TC and should have a good yr as the OL begins to gel.

So why is it that Crennel gets credit for the good picks and not the bad picks? KJo ring a bell?

Well I never said he only gets credit for the good picks.

6 games for the OL to gel?

To be fair. After his rookie year, everyone thought Kevin Johnson was a good draft pick. In fact, many of the things you hear about Reid, was said about Johnson.

What I want to know is, if this team, as it is currently constructed isn’t good enough to beat the best teams how are they going to get better over the next two years?

IMHO, I believe this past offseason was one of the worse (if not worst) ones for this team. They got a little better on the offensive line but it cost them dearly. They let 2 starters in the secondary leave and they didn’t adequately replace those players. And one of their starters in the secondary is past his prime and will be a FA next year. And they don’t have a pass rush.

Steelbtexan, change just for the sake of change sometimes isn’t the correct course. The cost sometimes outweighs the net gain. And all they had to do was give up a 3rd and they would have had Dillard and all those picks back. How many times must they be leapfrogged in the draft to learn?

What I want to know is, if this team, as it is currently constructed isn’t good enough to beat the best teams how are they going to get better over the next two years?

IMHO, I believe this past offseason was one of the worse (if not worst) ones for this team. They got a little better on the offensive line but it cost them dearly. They let 2 starters in the secondary leave and they didn’t adequately replace those players. And one of their starters in the secondary is past his prime and will be a FA next year. And they don’t have a pass rush.

Steelbtexan, change just for the sake of change sometimes isn’t the correct course. The cost sometimes outweighs the net gain. And all they had to do was give up a 3rd and they would have had Dillard and all those picks back. How many times must they be leapfrogged in the draft to learn?

Agree, kinda. Our secondary and pass rush will be exposed- if not in the regular season then in the playoffs.

We had to (have to) keep Watson safe. He's the franchise. And I wasn't happy with the status quo.

You realize that professional players can have good games from time to time, right? Just because you have a 1 sack game here or there doesn’t mean all is righteous. Over the course of a season you’re judged by totals/averages.

62 was the season total. Whether it was spread out evenly or it all happened in 8 games, Watson got pummeled regardless. And now we’re at a point where we’d gladly take 45-48 sacks, but the problem with that is, that’s still quite bad. But hey, it ain’t 62 so yippee!!

Andrew Luck had over 40 sacks just twice, and low 40’s at that. What’s he doing these days?

Of course we look at a total over a season. And of course there are always outlier games. No need be condescending, unless it makes you feel better about yourself.

FFS can we simply talk and not have to measure our

You are right. I am wrong. Congrats for winning the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
O'Brien got the guys he wanted in those drafts. Already provided supporting quotes many times. He is the head coach and has been telling the GM who to get.

Doubtful RS was following what RS was telling him to do. You think BOB told RS to hire Raye?

Look at this yrs draft and tell me RS drafts looked like BOB's.

You didn't like the Roby signing? I didn't

Gipson signing? I did.

The OL/CB heavy draft?

They will be a better with Tunsil and they can still trade up for a 1st rd guy if they like him next season. The 2021 draft will hurt but no more than the 2018 draft and that turned out pretty good.

Doubtful RS was following what RS was telling him to do. You think BOB told RS to hire Raye?

Look at this yrs draft and tell me RS drafts looked like BOB's.

Reaching for need, evaluating guys at the wrong position, drafting another receiving TE who isn't contributing, drafting a useless FB because he can play special teams.

Yep, sounds like a typical OB draft to me. So far it sucks.

Today I went back and watched the game again and focused on the OL. I was blown away at how bad Henderson was. If he starts the next game after that performance Devlin should be locked up for impersonating a offensive line coach. Henderson is horrible. Colvin had a better performance.

We just played the team that should have represented the NFC in the Super Bowl at their house, and I believe if not for an absolutely horrendous play (let alone game) from Colvin we should have won that game

I think Gipson, Roby, Addae, and LJ will adequately replace K.J. and TM. K.J. played well at the beginning of the season at S, but he no longer has the speed to play CB and he wasn’t worth his contract. TM can’t cover TEs, he’s too small. Re watch the Colts games the Philadelphia game and NE game if you don’t believe me, and there’s no way in hell I’m giving him 14 million. Thats top CB money!

With regards to the pass rush, the Saints only gave up 20 sacks last year, which put them 3rd in the NFL last year. Let’s give our guys a couple games before we declare we have no pass rush.

As for the Tunsil trade, Tunsil was the consensus top overall prospect in the 2016 draft, Dillard was still available at 23. I liked and wanted Dillard (I was hoping we’d end up with Dillard and Howard), but Tunsil is the better player and he’s already gone through his growing pains. If we end up with the average BOB season, that pick will be in the 20s. If we have 2 average BOB seasons that’s 2 mid to late rd 1sts for a 25 yr old LT that has all the tools to be great, never mind it’s our biggest need on the team. I consider the 2nd rd pick for Stills, which was an over pay, but I really like him as a player. Our offense is dramatically different with Fuller on the field. Stills give us insurance in case Fuller goes down. If they all stay healthy, we have a strong case for having one of the top WR rooms in the NFL.

Last edited:
Wow, they made the switch. Roderick Johnson starts at RT. Tytus Howard healthy (enough) and starting at LG.

Texans' Line Changes

Big fan of the move, hopefully they stay healthy and gel moving forward. Pass protection ceiling for this group is way higher than with Kelemete and Henderson.

Lol, the classic carousel to start the season for obrien. This time at RT.

Seantrel sucks, so good that he's benched, but we really have no idea what to expect out of Rod

Wow, they made the switch. Roderick Johnson starts at RT. Tytus Howard healthy (enough) and starting at LG.

Texans' Line Changes

Big fan of the move, hopefully they stay healthy and gel moving forward. Pass protection ceiling for this group is way higher than with Kelemete and Henderson.

Biggest news may be that Coutee is good to go... though the line changes hopefully help

Today I went back and watched the game again and focused on the OL. I was blown away at how bad Henderson was. If he starts the next game after that performance Devlin should be locked up for impersonating a offensive line coach. Henderson is horrible. Colvin had a better performance.
You have to have someone the coaches are comfortable in starting at the position. It was not stated directly, but as the Chronicle implied this past week, the coaches are well aware of how badly Henderson played. As reported, Johnson has been taking snaps at RT and is pushing Henderson for playing time. Look for him to take snaps today. If he shows better than Henderson, he'll be starting sooner rather than later.

Henderson has played terrible his whole career including the last two preseasons. Yet he won the starting job twice.

Is Rod ready? Did he get enough snaps at RT? We'll see.

Texans' Line Changes

All right, I was a bit late with a comment but glad to see this sooner rather than later. As I said earlier in the week we are seeing a more.aggressive management style and personel decisions this year.

Good that Henderson will sit.

I have no idea if Johnson is better, but I like that they are doing something.

Only complaint about OB in this instance is that things that should have been sorted out in camp and pre season take real games to figure out at the cost of possible wins.

But at least he’s not afraid to pull the plug.

Agree, kinda. Our secondary and pass rush will be exposed- if not in the regular season then in the playoffs.

We had to (have to) keep Watson safe. He's the franchise. And I wasn't happy with the status quo.
The mistakes they made pre training camp was the status quo. They clutched tightly to their coveted cap space. Then they over valued what is probably going to be either a swing tackle or a guard because O’Brien loves him some versatility. And just for shits and giggles they drafted a TE, a position group they’re already heavy in, in the 3rd round. Running back, anybody? Nope, but they did release Foreman. Another in a long list of busts for the Texans under O’Brien.

Maybe my concerns will prove to be premature. I just really, really dislike how they went about business during the offseason. I think if these drastic moves don’t pan out, specifically what they’ve done on the o-line, recovering is going to lead to some painful consecutive losing seasons. I’m not worried about Tunsil. I know he’ll do his job. But will it be enough? That’s the big question. If the answer is to be found in that first game of the season, it’s an emphatic no, it’s not. Watson’s going to get destroyed this year.

Texans' Line Changes

Thank god! I didn’t realize it during the game but Henderson had an all time bad game for us and that’s saying something considering our OL play the last couple of years. I don’t have a lot of confidence in these coaches but I would be disgusted with them if they didn’t make this change.

Henderson wasn’t just missing assignments, he was flat out getting pushed around and beat. He looked lost out there. There were plays where he literally didn’t block anyone.

I dont understand how he was ever considered a viable starter. Thank god for the Tunsil trade. Imagine how bad we would of looked all year with Henderson and Kalil manning the OT spots. No way Watson makes it through the year with those two turnstiles in front of him.

Houston’s offensive line struggled in pass protection all game long. Rookie left guard Tytus Howard struggled in both the run game and as a pass-blocker, surrounding multiple pressures and tackles for little to no gain. Veteran defensive lineman Calais Campbell was a nightmare for the rookie Alabama State product.

Rookie Takeaways

As mentioned above, Howard really struggled in this one. He’s still a ways away from being a capable starter in the NFL.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-week-2-pff-refocused-houston-texans-13-jacksonville-jaguars-12

Back