Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

What's more likely to happen is Howard will waste time learning LG, Kalil will get first-team reps at LT, then right before week 1 Kalil will get injured forcing Howard to slide to LT and he will have wasted valuable time in TC learning a position he won't even be playing. #Texans

It sounds too stupid to be plausible, except it won't be the 1st time with OB.

What's more likely to happen is Howard will waste time learning LG, Kalil will get first-team reps at LT, then right before week 1 Kalil will get injured forcing Howard to slide to LT and he will have wasted valuable time in TC learning a position he won't even be playing. #Texans

So what happens to Davenport?

Personally I'm more optimistic about the offensive line than I've been for several years and no wonder - they've finally invested some substantial resources in Olinemen and it's also way past due with Watson now going into his 3rd season with the Texans.

Personally I'm more optimistic about the offensive line than I've been for several years and no wonder - they've finally invested some substantial resources in Olinemen and it's also way past due with Watson now going into his 3rd season with the Texans.
They invested the same # with Kubiak & 1.5 rounds later.

And right now their investment this year will be moved to a new position or holding the bench down.

Too early to tell but early indications are goat fornication.

Most rookies (Especially small school rookies) start out at positions other LT. (There's a reason for this) The Texans org has backed themselves into a corner. Hopefully Watson survives another yr of beatings.

There is no one right way .... there is no one wrong way. There a multitude of each, with variations galore. They asked McVay what the secret to his almost overnight success was. He said that he studied a lot of tape on, and had a lot of meetings, with the players when he arrived .... determining what they could and could not do well .... then constructed a plan to employ the greatest strengths, and avoid the greatest weaknesses of his players. What a novel idea. I think O'Brien thinks he knows the best scheme .... regardless of his personnel !
I don't think that OB understands the E-P scheme well enough to construct a plan like McVay did.
OB reminds me of Jerry Reed's character in The Waterboy.
upload_2019-7-26_10-38-32.jpeg

So an injury ravaged season resulting in large part to a 4-12 record which suggests lots of bad luck in a single season. Funny how that luck thing average out over time
isn't it ?
So if there's no such thing as a moral victory after a loss then why is a
victory any less meaningfull if it included some good breaks ?
Because it leads to very early exits in the playoffs and HCs being kept around too long.

I'm less optimistic. The rookies might be good eventually but not this year.

Kalil and Seantrel haven't been good ever and haven't been healthy in a long time

He stole Belichick's then learned that the real play book was different from the one they gave him as it didn't have the stick figures and little pop ups to explain the plays. Sorry that was just to good a joke to pass up.:clown:

I really got to work on my sense of humor

Tytus Howard being used at guard next to Matt Kalil

Instead of installing first-round draft pick Tytus Howard as their left tackle immediately, the Texans have gotten his feet wet at left guard next to veteran Matt Kalil.

It's a frequent strategy utilized by NFL teams to cross-train a young offensive tackle. The plan for now is to get Howard (6-5, 322 pounds) comfortable inside at left guard next to a former Pro Bowl blocker and then expand his repetitions at left tackle.

Signed to a four-year, $12,3 million guaranteed contract that included a $7 million signing bonus, Howard was drafted 23rd overall out of Alabama State.

"There's a lot of traffic when you do that, but it is a good place for rookies to start where there's somebody on either side of them," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "Tytus is a very smart player, really a level-headed guy who studies hard and we have played him a lot at guard early on here, Kalil at left tackle. As we move him around, we'll only keep him on the left side and he'll get his tackle reps. It's been good to see him get a lot of reps at guard."

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson was sacked an NFL-high 62 times last season.

The Texans are hoping that Kalil can jump-start his career after dealing with injuries in recent years with the Carolina Panthers.

"Absolutely, Matt Kalil is a very good football player," O'Brien said. "He's played a lot of football in this league. Last year, he had the injury. He's back from the injury. We're watching his reps, but he's an excellent veteran player."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...ns/amp/Texans-camp-Day-2-updates-14179986.php

They really are serious about starting Kalil.:kubepalm:

Tytus Howard being used at guard next to Matt Kalil

Instead of installing first-round draft pick Tytus Howard as their left tackle immediately, the Texans have gotten his feet wet at left guard next to veteran Matt Kalil.

It's a frequent strategy utilized by NFL teams to cross-train a young offensive tackle. The plan for now is to get Howard (6-5, 322 pounds) comfortable inside at left guard next to a former Pro Bowl blocker and then expand his repetitions at left tackle.

Signed to a four-year, $12,3 million guaranteed contract that included a $7 million signing bonus, Howard was drafted 23rd overall out of Alabama State.

"There's a lot of traffic when you do that, but it is a good place for rookies to start where there's somebody on either side of them," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "Tytus is a very smart player, really a level-headed guy who studies hard and we have played him a lot at guard early on here, Kalil at left tackle. As we move him around, we'll only keep him on the left side and he'll get his tackle reps. It's been good to see him get a lot of reps at guard."

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson was sacked an NFL-high 62 times last season.

The Texans are hoping that Kalil can jump-start his career after dealing with injuries in recent years with the Carolina Panthers.

"Absolutely, Matt Kalil is a very good football player," O'Brien said. "He's played a lot of football in this league. Last year, he had the injury. He's back from the injury. We're watching his reps, but he's an excellent veteran player."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...ns/amp/Texans-camp-Day-2-updates-14179986.php

They really are serious about starting Kalil.:kubepalm:

Like I said they're going to ruin those youngsters. And from what I heard Davenport is working at right tackle.

All I can do is laugh. Bwhahaha

But hey it might work out this time.

They really are serious about starting Kalil

If he’s healthy and can win the spot why not start him. His contract is structured in such a way that he only gets the full amount if he lasts the season so it’s kind of win-win. If he lasts the season we got a vet that the rookie can sit behind and if he doesn’t we’re no worse off than we were and we don’t owe him the full amount.

[
If he’s healthy and can win the spot why not start him. His contract is structured in such a way that he only gets the full amount if he lasts the season so it’s kind of win-win. If he lasts the season we got a vet that the rookie can sit behind and if he doesn’t we’re no worse off than we were and we don’t owe him the full amount.

My issue is O'Brien is known for selecting the wrong guy to win the spot

Davenport is going to be a game day swing tackle.

If Kalil stays healthy it could be him and Henderson as the starting tackles. Rankin and Kelemete could manning LG. Mancz and Martin at C. Fulton and Scharping RG. Howard as the primary Swing Tackle. That's 9 men on OL and I can't imagine the Texans carrying more.

LT- Kalil / Howard
LG- Rankins / Kelemete / Howard
OC- Mancz / Martin / Fulton / Scharping
RG- Fulton / Scharping / Mancz / Martin
RT- Henderson / Howard / Scharping

The only thing that would change my mind on this group......if the Texans non-existent GM makes a successful trade for LT, Trent Williams. This move, in my mind would include both Clowney and Kalil. The Texans get Williams and Peterson. I'd throw in OT, Davenport if the Redskins wanted to throw a RD5 pick in the deal.

The Depth Chart I did above would remain the same except for TW would replace MK at LT.

Last edited:
If Kalil stays healthy it could be him and Henderson as the starting tackles. Rankin and Kelemete could manning LG. Mancz and Martin at C. Fulton and Scharping RG. Howard as the primary Swing Tackle. That's 9 men on OL and I can't imagine the Texans carrying more.

LT- Kalil / Howard
LG- Rankins / Kelemete / Howard
OC- Mancz / Martin / Fulton / Scharping
RG- Fulton / Scharping / Mancz / Martin
RT- Henderson / Howard / Scharping
I'm projecting Kelemete to be the odd man out. The team won't cut Davenport after only two years, I'm thinking.

I'm projecting Kelemete to be the odd man out. The team won't cut Davenport after only two years, I'm thinking.

Funny you made this comment......Davenport and Kelemete were my question marks. If Davenport were to stay, I'd be investing his time at learning RT and nothing else.

They invested the same # with Kubiak & 1.5 rounds later.

And right now their investment this year will be moved to a new position or holding the bench down.

Too early to tell but early indications are goat fornication.
Dunno 'bout comparisons to the Kubiak regime ?
Oh and when I say I'm optimistic I'm not talking pollyanna kind of optimism rather it's the kind where hey we finally made a serious and substantial investment primarily thru Draft picks to upgrade this Oline. You know maybe more like no where to go but up, which is accurate if we believe these ratings of our OLine on a comparative basis with the rest of the league.

Funny you made this comment......Davenport and Kelemete were my question marks. If Davenport were to stay, I'd be investing his time at learning RT and nothing else.
The way I see it : Fulton, Martin, Rankin & Mancz for interior. Then Henderson and Kalil on the outside with Davenport as a swing tackle. This is our veteran line. We then have our two rookies to break into the lineup as their development allows. Barring training camp injuries, of course. Odds are against no injuries.

Dunno 'bout comparisons to the Kubiak regime ?
Oh and when I say I'm optimistic I'm not talking pollyanna kind of optimism rather it's the kind where hey we finally made a serious and substantial investment primarily thru Draft picks to upgrade this Oline. You know maybe more like no where to go but up, which is accurate if we believe these ratings of our OLine on a comparative basis with the rest of the league.

That's just a bully trying to prop up a .500 HC (Kubiak) over another .500 HC (BOB) Truth is they both are very avg HC's. (Too Conservative)

The way I see it : Fulton, Martin, Rankin & Mancz for interior. Then Henderson and Kalil on the outside with Davenport as a swing tackle. This is our veteran line. We then have our two rookies to break into the lineup as their development allows. Barring training camp injuries, of course. Odds are against no injuries.

If everything goes wonderful and the koolaid is bright red then the OL will be healthy and look like this,

Kalil/Howard/Fulton/Scharping/Henderson

Reserves are Rankin/Martin/Mancz.

Davenport gave up half his sacks in 3 games at RT. He doesn't swing.

Anyone thinking 1st & 2nd rounders will be watching game 1 from the bench needs to be examined.

I'm not sure they are ready to start despite where they were drafted. Even Dillard might not play much and he was considered more ready. Rookies need time

If everything goes wonderful and the koolaid is bright red then the OL will be healthy and look like this,

Kalil/Howard/Fulton/Scharping/Henderson

Reserves are Rankin/Martin/Mancz.

After that line gets destroyed we'll be back to:

Davenport/Fulton/Martin/Kelemente/???

I'm not a huge fan of Kelemente. I would like to see Davenport continue to develop. But if Kelemente is a better guard than Davenport a tackle, or if we need an extra guard more than an extra tackle I hope the Texans make the better football decision.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I could really give AF which position any of these players play or if they start or not. I don't care about which players succeed, only that the line is successful and they give Watson enough time to throw the ball and not get killed.

It matters a lot. We could have had Josh Jacobs in the 1st. Guards don't need to be 1st round picks. A franchise RB would take pressure off Watson also.

Back