Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

I’ve had way too much free time over the past several months, so I’ve listened to a ton of sports talk radio and I’ve read probably 99% of the Texans related articles. I’ve NEVER seen/heard McClain say they bungled a trade for Dillard. I’ve heard directly from McClains mouth, multiple times on various talk shows, that they were never going to take Dillard. The Texan coaching staff met with Howard multiple times over the draft process, he was their guy. You might not like the pick, you might think it was a reach but it seems like you’re promoting a false narrative on this one.

Here’s a clip of Seth Payne quoting Michael Lombardi about Howard

https://sportsradio610.radio.com/me...onfirmed-seth-s-suspicions-about-tytus-howard

Now you can certainly say that 610 is a homer station but Lombardi has no reason to defend the pick of Howard. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable to think that the Texans simply preferred Howard. If Dillard was a can’t miss prospect there’s NO WAY he’d last until 22. According to LZ, who’s got good connections, there was some concern about Dillard being a soft, ie lacking toughness. Not a good trait for a NFL offensive lineman

Lombardi brought up the interview thing and said Howard would go between picks 20 and 40. That's definitely lower than Dillard who was more like 10-25.

But this is what McClain wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...keaways-from-Texans-first-day-of-13797251.php

"There were reports in the national media this week the Texans were trying to trade up from their 23rd spot in the first round to get Washington State left tackle Andre Dillard and that they were shopping outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney. Neither proved to be true."

Neither proved to be true means they didn't actually end up happening. But I think the Texans TRIED to make them happen. There's a reason the eagles jumped specifically ahead of the Texans, they thought Dillard would be taken.

McLain also wrote:

"Howard was rated as the third-best left tackle behind Washington State's Andre Dillard and Mississippi State's Greg Little. Howard and Little were projected as second-round picks.

Before the draft, there were reports the Texans were trying to trade up to get Dillard, but Gaine didn't want to sacrifice one of his premium picks in the second and third rounds.

Gaine considered options to trade down in an attempt to get a third- or fourth-round pick."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...Texans-take-shot-on-Tytus-Howard-13797128.php

I think if it's true Howard is struggling as another poster said he has inside info on, that could be the reason obrien got all upset and unaligned. Right after the draft was when obrien supposedly was reportedly unhappy with how things were going.

We also know obrien has no problem throwing a GM under the bus if a move ends up not working out.

Last edited:
wow, somebody really reaching now. There was lots of pre-draft talk that they really liked Howard but about nil that they really liked Dillard or Little either for that matter.

wow, somebody really reaching now. There was lots of pre-draft talk that they really liked Howard but about nil that they really liked Dillard or Little either for that matter.

Which part is reaching?

Let's say Gaine really passed up on trades for Dillard on purpose as McLain seems to imply

If Howard is starting slow, I could see OBrien canning him for that decision. We saw him constantly blaming Rick for bad picks and signings even if he was on board at the time

I thought this was the most interesting McLane quote:

""There were reports in the national media this week the Texans were trying to trade up from their 23rd spot in the first round to get Washington State left tackle Andre Dillard and that they were shopping outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney. Neither proved to be true."

Except we know clowney was definitely shopped and the Texans had the opportunity to trade up if they wanted. It "didn't prove to be true" because the trades didn't happen, not because there weren't possible deals the Texans were considering

I have always thought he screwed up trading up for Dillard and that's why he was fired.

That the Texans preferred Howard is pure bs spin. They reached because OBrien insisted on an OT.

Mclaine even had an article documenting a failed trade up by Gaine but it was deleted (a member here saw it)

After the draft is when the tension with gaine started.

But it's hilarious that gaine gets the blame. As if OBrien wasn't signing off on every pick

Tell me, who was in charge of the draft.?

Who got fired.

Which part is reaching?

Let's say Gaine really passed up on trades for Dillard on purpose as McLain seems to imply

If Howard is starting slow, I could see OBrien canning him for that decision. We saw him constantly blaming Rick for bad picks and signings even if he was on board at the time

How do you know he was on board?

Which part is reaching?

Well there are lies. damn lies, and rumors KD. <<<<<<<<<<

Nobody here really knows where the bolded falls in place here.^

Lots of supposition considering the guy hasn't donned pads yet...don't you think?

:coffee:

Well there are lies. damn lies, and rumors KD. <<<<<<<<<<

Nobody here really knows where the bolded falls in place here.^

Lots of supposition considering the guy hasn't donned pads yet...don't you think?

:coffee:

Mclaine reported that they passed up on a chance to trade up

I don't know that Howard is starting slow. But that's what a poster said and I was just speculating based on his info that it's why gaine was fired. Timing matches up

Because he has said many times the gm isn't gonna get them a guy the coaches don't want. But then he throws them under the bus. Like even blaming Rick for starting savage over deshaun

Care to give me a link where he said this when RS was GM?

Care to give me a link where he said this when RS was GM?

https://www.google.com/amp/houston.cbslocal.com/2017/06/19/bill-obrien-with-mad-radio-part-one/amp/

"my part of that partnership is to evaluate the prospects and give my opinion and when Rick asks my opinion on certain players I give him my opinion. I’m not in charge of trading up and trading, that’s not part of my deal. When I come into the building on draft night I want to be sharp in giving him a snapshot opinion when he asks me what I think of this player. He’s not gonna draft guys we don’t want

One of the things that it states in our contract is we go to Bob (McNair) if we have a disagreement, we have never had to do that, we just work it out.
"

And there we can see how OBrien was perhaps unhappy with the trading or lack thereof on draft day by Gaine.

That's not his job!

https://www.google.com/amp/houston.cbslocal.com/2017/06/19/bill-obrien-with-mad-radio-part-one/amp/

"my part of that partnership is to evaluate the prospects and give my opinion and when Rick asks my opinion on certain players I give him my opinion. I’m not in charge of trading up and trading, that’s not part of my deal. When I come into the building on draft night I want to be sharp in giving him a snapshot opinion when he asks me what I think of this player. He’s not gonna draft guys we don’t want

One of the things that it states in our contract is we go to Bob (McNair) if we have a disagreement, we have never had to do that, we just work it out.
"

All I know is this went on thru 2 regimes, and the Texans have been a mediocre at best franchise long before BOB got here and have remained mediocre with him here. I thought things would change when Gaine took over. I must've been brain dead and forgot who owns this team.

All I know is this went on thru 2 regimes, and the Texans have been a mediocre at best franchise long before BOB got here and have remained mediocre with him here. I thought things would change when Gaine took over. I must've been brain dead and forgot who owns this team.

The offense has sucked under O'Brien.

Since 2009, the last 10 seasons, the Texans have won the South Division 5 times. The Colts, 4 times. And Jacksonville, once.

Do mediocre teams win divisions?

We are a playoff team, in the hunt more times than not. Admittably, we are not one of the elite teams, but mediocre?

""There were reports in the national media this week the Texans were trying to trade up from their 23rd spot in the first round to get Washington State left tackle Andre Dillard and that they were shopping outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney. Neither proved to be true."

The reports that the Texans tried proved not to be true.

My question is what "proved to be true" means. That they didn't try to trade or that they didn't complete a trade?

If they tried & couldn't make a deal they would have reported, "Texans couldn't make it happen."

The way it is written means they found no evidence the Texans tried to trade up, or shopped Clowney.

Since 2009, the last 10 seasons, the Texans have won the South Division 5 times. The Colts, 4 times. And Jacksonville, once.

Do mediocre teams win divisions?

We are a playoff team, in the hunt more times than not. Admittably, we are not one of the elite teams, but mediocre?

Yes they do win weak divisions

What's their record over the last decade?

Certainly closer to the definition of mediocre vs contender and if you aren't a contender then what's the point?

Yes they do win weak divisions

What's their record over the last decade?

Certainly closer to the definition of mediocre vs contender and if you aren't a contender then what's the point?
It's the difference in believing the glass is half empty or in believing the glass is half full.

"

And there we can see how OBrien was perhaps unhappy with the trading or lack thereof on draft day by Gaine.

That's not his job!

Stomped!!

Great find, quoting exactly what we've been saying all along. But some will think Obrien was blowing smoke, just lying. Bwhahaha

Tell me more about the BOB, I coach who they give me comment.

Which time was he lying?

Luckily we dont have to worry about this anymore.

PS, Were the Texans 11-5 or 5-11 last yr like some seem to portray last season?

Tell me more about the BOB, I coach who they give me comment.

Which time was he lying?

Luckily we dont have to worry about this anymore.

PS, Were the Texans 11-5 or 5-11 last yr like some seem to portray last season?

Just shows how wishy washy that dude is. Dude is just selfish. When things are good, it us this and that. But when the chips are down, then it's not my job. I just coach what was given to me.

I thought this was the most interesting McLane quote:

Except we know clowney was definitely shopped and the Texans had the opportunity to trade up if they wanted. It "didn't prove to be true" because the trades didn't happen, not because there weren't possible deals the Texans were considering

“It should have been obvious to everyone Gaine wasn't interested in dealing up to get Dillard, or he would have done it” McClain from the article you linked

I distinctly remember McClain stating multiple times that despite reports they wouldn’t trade up. I also think Albert Breer is the only national guy with ties to the Texans

I think Gaine the main reason Gaine was fired was a lack of improvement on the OL in FA. Wade Smith posted an interview from Cal himself during the early off season stating that the team knew where they needed to improve and that they knew the fans knew the positions as well. Twice Gaine missed out on FA OTs, and Saffold as well. I used to have a contact with the team, and they told me they were worried that Gaine might be too cheap for his own good. Seeing that he was fired, and that they missed on multiple FAs at positions of need, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that this is what led to his downfall. If BOB and Cal wanted to see improvement in OL and he couldn’t bring himself to pull the trigger at nut cuttin time that would definitely explain his release.

“It should have been obvious to everyone Gaine wasn't interested in dealing up to get Dillard, or he would have done it” McClain from the article you linked

What that quote says is McClain had absolutely zero inside knowledge. If he did he wouldn't be trying to reason the Texans' actions. And his reasoning is sh!t. Other teams may have demanded too much.

So there were reports from other journalists that the Texans tried to trade up and tried to trade clowney.

McLain said both were false, though he added that Gaine had the option to trade up for Dillard and declined.

:uprights::uprights:

Bill Obrien surely thought they were as well as his staff and players. That's all that matters correct.

But that wasn't the point.

The point is this org has never and never will be true contenders until they change the way they go about acquiring talent.

So you're saying they should just quit? Is that what you do, quit?

I'm saying and been saying that they will have to change the way they go about acquiring players. They should never have the Not Texans Worthy mantra if they ever want to be contenders.

It's the difference in believing the glass is half empty or in believing the glass is half full.

Well, lets take baby steps 1st.

You know, hiring a GM would seem to be a 1st baby step. That's kinda important.

Wht makes you a glass half full kinda guy after watching this org trip over their d!cks for 17 yrs?

Well, lets take baby steps 1st.

You know, hiring a GM would seem to be a 1st baby step. That's kinda important.

Wht makes you a glass half full kinda guy after watching this org trip over their d!cks for 17 yrs?
It's just a game.

As far as the team, this season, I look at the level of talent we have on both offense and defense and Watson is a QB who can carry the load. I'm looking forward to this coming season.

It's just a game.

As far as the team, this season, I look at the level of talent we have on both offense and defense and Watson is a QB who can carry the load. I'm looking forward to this coming season.

It's a business.

A lucrative one.

Donald Penn shares my birthday month and day... I would like him but it would have to be CHEAP and just to throw off the fact that we'd STILL be looking for our Franchise LT... I'd glorify him as our guy until we could sneak our shot at someone REAL

Donald Penn shares my birthday month and day... I would like him but it would have to be CHEAP and just to throw off the fact that we'd STILL be looking for our Franchise LT... I'd glorify him as our guy until we could sneak our shot at someone REAL

apparently you want people to know your birthday... how about I tell you that you can set your profile to show that every post, not that anyone cares

Back