Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

FWIW, the Texans have denied any such visit. Per McNeck.

I just thought it was interesting that we keep denying he is coming to town but Ced himself has said he is coming in for a visit tomorrow.

I think it would be a good fit for him here. He would be close to home and Huntville is just down the street so if he gets into trouble he wouldnt have to travel to far.

Why would anyone want him? It's one thing to take on a proven player with significant legal baggage, but it's something else to invite that headache when the player hasn't done sh*t at the NFL level.

Steve Slaton > Cedric Benson.
He runs much like Steven Davis ran....it took Davis years to make an impact in the NFL and when he did he was one of the best backs in the league for three straight seasons statistically and went on to have a pretty above average career to say the least...but if you look at his first 3 years he did nothing...zero.

Why would anyone want him? It's one thing to take on a proven player with significant legal baggage, but it's something else to invite that headache when the player hasn't done sh*t at the NFL level.

I am one of those people who feel that Ced never got a fair shot in Chicago. His team mates loved Thomas Jones.

He was screwed from the get go by holding out in training camp and his team never thought it was right that he was going to replace Jones without having to compete for it.

Even after Jones left there was still resentment.

A fresh start could do him some good. What could it hurt?

Potential .....

Sometimes it takes a few serious mistakes for a person to wake up and realize they are scerwing themselves. Maybe he has had that lightbulb moment in his life and decided to take his career seriously. If he does he could be a solid RB .... If he doesnt .... you dont lose much in bringing the guy in for a workout.

This guy is Ron Dayne with an alchohol/drug problem. If we sign him, put Duane Brown in bubble wrap. Personally, I don't think he is worth the trouble. Hell, give me Dayne over this guy. I certainly don't see Stehpen Davis in this guy. Sammy davis maybe....:pirate:

I understand the low-risk/high-reward argument, but I don't think he's a good fit. He's a plodder without breakaway speed. If Smithiak signed him to add depth at the position and backup Green and Slaton, I'm cool with it, but my fear is signing him will hinder Slaton's progress and muddy the position.

This guy is Ron Dayne with an alchohol/drug problem. If we sign him, put Duane Brown in bubble wrap. Personally, I don't think he is worth the trouble. Hell, give me Dayne over this guy. I certainly don't see Stehpen Davis in this guy. Sammy davis maybe....:pirate:

While I tend to think you are right .... IF Benson has had that lightbulb moment .... thats a BIG IF .... He is as physically talented as any back in the league .... We couldnt complain about getting a player like that for zero compensation draft wise.

Think about it , If a guy like Pac-man can find new life in Dallas of all places , isnt it worth a look ? You just have to be certian as an orginization that the guy has his head outa his ass.

lets face it, the ZBS in Houston is working out about as well as New Coke did. Even with 'Einstein' Gibbs himself we still can't run the ball. You could probably put the Tyler Rose in the backfield and we would still be a pathetic running team.

I think it all starts up top with the flatlining Kubiak and his reliance on scheme and system. Screw this 'system' garbage. Lets just run the freaking ball with an OL that uses basic football principles and not tricks and schemes. Beat your man. Rinse and repeat.

Another poor thing about schemes is once you pattern your personnel to fit the scheme and then the scheme fails, the scheme (and coach) go out the window and you have to reconfigure your personnel to fit the new system.

Just play freaking football, guys.....and that garbage I saw on the field Sunday was not football. Just freaking pathetic but something that has been pretty commonplace for Kubiak teams playing quality teams. Yeah we can beat the Dolphins of the world, but anytime we play a good team we get an asswhoopin of biblical proportions.

As for Benson, his character isn't pure as the driven snow so good luck in him coming to Houston. He isn't that good of a running back either. They screwed the pooch when they didn't address the DL and the RB position in the offseason....

let me be the first to say in 2008....FIRE KUBIAK. SCRUBIAK MUST GO.

Last edited:
While I tend to think you are right .... IF Benson has had that lightbulb moment .... thats a BIG IF .... He is as physically talented as any back in the league .... We couldnt complain about getting a player like that for zero compensation draft wise.

He's not as physically talented as any back in the league. There are many backs who are far more talented than Cedric Benson, and the Bears were stupid to use a first-round pick on him.

Think about it , If a guy like Pac-man can find new life in Dallas of all places , isnt it worth a look ? You just have to be certian as an orginization that the guy has his head outa his ass.

Adam Jones had an immediate impact when he came into the NFL. Benson hasn't established himself at that elite level, so the comparison is flawed. I don't care about Benson's off-field issues as much as I care about his on-field suckitude.

I'm not against trying him out, but I don't want him hindering Slaton's development. I want to see what the rookie can do first.

I am one of those people who feel that Ced never got a fair shot in Chicago. His team mates loved Thomas Jones.

He was screwed from the get go by holding out in training camp and his team never thought it was right that he was going to replace Jones without having to compete for it.

Even after Jones left there was still resentment.

A fresh start could do him some good. What could it hurt?

This is all one big EXCUSE for the guy. He had three years to prove himself in Chicago. THREE! He ran behind the same O line that Jones did, and Jones has never been a really good RB, but Jones always looked a lot better running the ball. My dad and I were huge Benson fans, but would say it every time we watched Chicago.

Benson got his chance when Jones was gone, and he completely blew it. Don't give us this crap about the team still resenting him as if they hated him so much that they didn't want the starting RB on their team to do well and he was screwed from the start and at the end as well. He could have won his teamates over by playing well and being a solid teamate and he chose to do the opposite, while stinking up the field.

I love it how so many in here beg to have a guy on this team who never has done squat in the NFL, even as a young guy with fresh legs on a team that had pretty good run blocking. The only thing Benson has been good at is getting in trouble with the law.

I just want the Texans to look under every rock and do whatever it takes to get better. I'm good with "Check out Cedric Benson and if he can't help you then go look at the next guy" without any question.

You look at guys who didn't pan out and check to see what that other team missed. You look to see if they've grown up or if they simply weren't properly motivated. Teams do this all the time and guys turn their careers around every year in the NFL.

We aren't good enough at RB to not to look at Benson but it's a moot point. We'll stand back holding our nose and pretend like we don't need to be looking to get better enough to take a look at him and it won't be because of his previous years in Chicago. It will be because he isn't wearing a halo over his head and out cleaning up overgrown lots with orphans to make them a playground every day.

We'll ignore him because he's not a model citizen. Good for us and our principles. We can finish at or below .500 until the end of time but we can always take pride in our principles.

This is all one big EXCUSE for the guy. He had three years to prove himself in Chicago. THREE! He ran behind the same O line that Jones did, and Jones has never been a really good RB, but Jones always looked a lot better running the ball. My dad and I were huge Benson fans, but would say it every time we watched Chicago.

Benson got his chance when Jones was gone, and he completely blew it. Don't give us this crap about the team still resenting him as if they hated him so much that they didn't want the starting RB on their team to do well and he was screwed from the start and at the end as well. He could have won his teamates over by playing well and being a solid teamate and he chose to do the opposite, while stinking up the field.

I love it how so many in here beg to have a guy on this team who never has done squat in the NFL, even as a young guy with fresh legs on a team that had pretty good run blocking. The only thing Benson has been good at is getting in trouble with the law.
Wow. You sound bitter.

And as far as "Giving you crap" it was my assessment of the situation. Cedric was in a situation where his team mates didn't want him and he didn't want to play for Chicago.

I don't think anybody is begging either. I simply stated that both McClain, and the Chicago Tribune has Benson coming in for a visit. I also stated that he can't be any worse than what we got. Green is just trying to stay healthy and get to the next game so he can get paid, Slaton is a rookie, and generally speaking a torn MCL that Taylor suffered is a two year healing process.

So as you see, Ced is not worse and could be better, than what we got now.

I see no problem at least looking at Ced, or Shaun Alexander for that matter.

It couldn't hurt taking a chance on either one. Both are available and neither would most likely cost too much at this point

Wow. You sound bitter.

And as far as "Giving you crap" it was my assessment of the situation. Cedric was in a situation where his team mates didn't want him and he didn't want to play for Chicago.

I don't think anybody is begging either. I simply stated that both McClain, and the Chicago Tribune has Benson coming in for a visit. I also stated that he can't be any worse than what we got. Green is just trying to stay healthy and get to the next game so he can get paid, Slaton is a rookie, and generally speaking a torn MCL that Taylor suffered is a two year healing process.

you mean the same McClain that gave the coaching advantage to the Texans!!! when I read that Sunday Morning I couldn't even believe it.

yeah, Texans have better coaching than the Steelers. in what alternate reality. Dick LeBeau alone owns anyone the Texans could hang their hat on and he is only the DC.

McClain is a moron but he may be right about Benson. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a look and he probably should. Its not as if we are not in need of RB help.

We'll ignore him because he's not a model citizen. Good for us and our principals. We can finish at or below .500 until the end of time but we can always take pride in our principals.

Our "principals" are AJ, Mario, DeMeco, Schaub, and now Eric Winston. Damn straight I take pride in them.

Just keep looking to get better every day. That's all I ask of the Texans and it's not like we've got much to lose, except maybe our league record 53 halos.

Wow. You sound bitter.

What do you mean he can't be any worse than what we already got? Are you saying he couldn't be worse than Slaton? Slaton hasn't even got his chance yet. And he's now way better than a healthy Green. He might be as good as Taylor, I don't know about Taylor either since he was hurt last year.

But I do know that Benson sucks. He was already given every opportunity and he stunk up the field every single time, and even when he already knew that he was in the dog house he still kept getting arrested.

And the Chicago teamates didn't just all decide that they were going to alienate him from the jump. He came in very cocky and missed all of camp and thought he was just going to have the job handed to him. His teamates didn't like his attitude or his lack of work ethic, and THAT is why they didn't like the guy, but the BIGGEST reason was because they all knew that Thomas Jones was better and it was proven over a 3 year span. What they didn't know, was that Benson flat out sucked.

And again if you think that Benson isn't any worse than what we already got then compare his numbers to Dayne's numbers last year and you'll see that Dayne had more YPC. If he wasn't even better than Dayne, then he would be a waste of time on our roster.

What do you mean he can't be any worse than what we already got? Are you saying he couldn't be worse than Slaton? Slaton hasn't even got his chance yet. And he's now way better than a healthy Green. He might be as good as Taylor, I don't know about Taylor either since he was hurt last year.

But I do know that Benson sucks. He was already given every opportunity and he stunk up the field every single time, and even when he already knew that he was in the dog house he still kept getting arrested.

And the Chicago teamates didn't just all decide that they were going to alienate him from the jump. He came in very cocky and missed all of camp and thought he was just going to have the job handed to him. His teamates didn't like his attitude or his lack of work ethic, and THAT is why they didn't like the guy, but the BIGGEST reason was because they all knew that Thomas Jones was better and it was proven over a 3 year span. What they didn't know, was that Benson flat out sucked.

And again if you think that Benson isn't any worse than what we already got then compare his numbers to Dayne's numbers last year and you'll see that Dayne had more YPC. If he wasn't even better than Dayne, then he would be a waste of time on our roster.

You lose the argument with a pro Dayne statement.

As far as Cedric not being any worse, I stated my reasons in the last post and feel it would be a waste of time to restate them.

TIFWIW.

You lose the argument with a pro Dayne statement.

As far as Cedric not being any worse, I stated my reasons in the last post and feel it would be a waste of time to restate them.

TIFWIW.

I never made any pro Dayne statement. I told you to compare the YPC average hoping that you would logically see the fact that if he couldn't even produce a better YPC average than Dayne, then you'd realize how bad he really was. I hated Dayne, and never wanted him in the first place.

You made excuses for Benson in Chicago and acted like his teamates were all against him, but that excuse doesn't carry water when you had 3 years to show why you were a top 5 pick, but played so poorly that he played himself out of the league. Some of these questionable guys the Texans have signed were at least great RB's at some point or showed that they knew how to have success in the NFL, but Benson has never showed anything even in his prime years where he is supposed to be successful.

Unless and until Gibbs waves his magic wand and works his miracle with our Oline, Jim Brown, in his prime, wouldn't help this team.

We have gone from an expansion team to a team that trains coaches.

We have a head coach, a defensive coordinator, an offensive coordinator all in training at the same time, not to mention training a general manager.

This could be a recipe for disaster...:gun:

Did I fail to mention, we are teaching yet another blocking scheme to the O linemen we have.

I am not proclaiming failure...just the opposite...I think the Smith/Kubiak combo will be successfull.

We are all tired of waiting and hoping, but as I see it, that's where we are.

So...to the topic at hand..:thinking:..Benson is not the answer to our problems.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

:coffee:

Texecutioner, I'm not going to disagree with your take on Benson, but I will say that many of the same things were said about Thomas Jones (that he sucked, had his chance, etc). Some players can revitalize their career. Sometimes it takes a good comeuppance, and I think Benson's getting that right now. How he responds will determine if we ever see him in the NFL again. We aren't going to hear the gory details as fans, so if Smithiak signs Benson, I'll assume they've put him through the paces, evaluated his frame of mind, and not found him wanting - at least until my assumption is proven wrong.

I would not touch this guy until his legal issues are settled, but I can understand some interest since after the first game he is on a week to week check.

Texecutioner, I'm not going to disagree with your take on Benson, but I will say that many of the same things were said about Thomas Jones (that he sucked, had his chance, etc). Some players can revitalize their career. Sometimes it takes a good comeuppance, and I think Benson's getting that right now. How he responds will determine if we ever see him in the NFL again. We aren't going to hear the gory details as fans, so if Smithiak signs Benson, I'll assume they've put him through the paces, evaluated his frame of mind, and not found him wanting - at least until my assumption is proven wrong.

Eriadoc, you're talking to a HUGE Longhorns fan. I don't want to bash on Benson, but I can't honestly say ANYTHING good about him on the field since he left Texas.

Did you watch him at Chicago? Not just one or two games, but did you watch him a lot? I watched him a lot every year he was there, and he became a WORSE RB. Not because it was just the NFL's tougher talent, but he looked flat out poor. He doesn't have the speed burst out of the hole, he doesn't have an "shake and bake" moves, he wasn't breaking tackles well at all either. And the worst part of his game, is that he has NO BALANCE at all. Benson needs to take BALLET big time! Many RB's have taken ballet and it helped them a lot.

One of Benson's biggest problems coming out of Texas was a stumbling problem that he got in his Senior year, where it caused him to lose a lot of BIG plays. Last year, I saw him stumble all over the field losing 1st down opportunities.

The bottom line is why on earth are people asking for a RB that has never been good since he entered the league? If people hate Dayne so much, me being one of them, then why do some of you guys want a guy who was worse than Dayne last year? Please give me some reasoning other than, well maybe he learned his lesson or got a wake up call?

No wake up call is going to do anything for a guy that isn't a good NFL RB period. Did any of you guys watch Forte last night and see how much better the Bears running game was with a guy other than Benson stumbling around the field?

The only reason why anyone is mentioning Benson right now is all because of the HYPE he once had, which was 4 years ago. He's old news as far as being a successful football player, and he's nothing but a college RB that couldn't step his game up, because his work ethic was so poor in college and when he entered the NFL. He isn't even worthy of calling him a "Has Been", because he never was when it came to the NFL.

Hey, I've never been a Benson fan, even when he was at UT. I always thought his backup (Charles?) was better. I'm just saying that perhaps the attitude part of the equation can be fixed.

Back