Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ATXan, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ATXan

ATXan Rookie

I know I never post here but I have some info I think some people would like to know. Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today. He was talking about the teams that he is talking with and the one that is closest to reaching a deal is Houston Texans. So what do you think.:thisbig:

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'll take it with a grain of salt until I see some type of official word.

3. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I hope it's not true.

He hasn't shown much in the NFL on the field. I hope Smith takes a pass on him myself.

4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

What he said.
    I don't see it. Got more RBs than we'll be able to keep in Sept. as it is.

5. Toro59

Toro59 Rookie

Not the type of character Smith would sign. He's a little smarter that that... Hopefully

6. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I will believe it when I see it. If it does go down... I have all the trust in the world in Rick Smith and our negotiators. We do have 2 running backs in Ahman Green and Chris Brown who haven't been able to stay on the field recently. I guess if the price is right (see Rick Smith comment above), it couldnt hurt to have him for insurance. But again, probably wont happen.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

lets just suppose it is true, how does he fit under the cap? would that be the end of Green? Benson, Brown & Slayton none of which has played a down as a Texan, would Rick & Kubiak shake things up that much? :thisbig:

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Hmmm.

On one hand, the Texans don't like * for brains. Especially ones who have rumors about them about being a bighead that doesn't work hard.

On the other hand, the Texans

coaches are friends with people on the UT staff so can talk about him some,

the current Texans running back group doesn't blow your doors off,

Smith has said that he likes good character guys but is also willing to give people second chances.

Smith likes to throw players at positions of weakness and see if they can become positions of strength.

Benson I am guessing would like to be in some more familiar environs.

Interesting rumor.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Heck, if the Texans sign him they should let him get drunk before the games. He can't run worth a damn sober. Maybe he can hit the holes faster after a few beers!

10. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Yeah, I'm sure that a guy with two recent alcohol-related arrests, who is proven to be lazy, and doesn't have the kind of burst that fits the ZBS is about to sign with the Houston Texans. Sorry, but I have to call BS here.

11. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

I think it sucks. I'd rather go to camp with the retreads that we have now than add Benson.

He's never impressed me. So said, here are some snippets from an nice piece regarding Benson that I found yesterday on the Fox Sports website.

http://chi.scout.com/2/764573.html

Benson made the offense way too predictable most of last season
    Cedric Benson was always a poor blocker in pass protection and an even worse receiver out of the backfield, which forced offensive coordinator Ron Turner to use Adrian Peterson in obvious passing situations. As a result, enemy defenses knew exactly what to expect based on the personnel in the Chicago backfield. If Benson was in the game, more often that not he was going to get the ball; if Peterson was in the game, more often than not it was going to be a pass.

:mcnugget:

Don't care for that. I think that we're finally at a point where the ZBS will help mitigate our opponents abilities to read what we're doing. Last thing we need is something that will show our hand.

Fellow first-round flop Michael Haynes was asked about Benson recently by the Chicago Sun-Times, and he did not pull many punches on the subject. Haynes said that Benson was lazy with his workout regimen, not a hard worker in practice, and used to being coddled by his coaches, which instantly put him at odds with the majority of his teammates in the locker room – the 36-day contract holdout that caused him to miss all of training camp his rookie year didn't help either. In hindsight, trading Thomas Jones to the Jets, fresh off back-to-back 1,200-yard seasons on the ground, seems ludicrous since Benson did almost nothing to earn the starting job.

Ummmmmm...... sounds great. :sarcasm:

Most of the players have said all the right things when asked about Benson both before and after he was waived by the organization. But if you take a minute to read between the lines, it's not hard to figure out that he was never very popular amongst his teammates and did little to endear himself to the Windy City community. Whether he was boasting about how fast he would leapfrog Jones on the depth chart, leaving the sideline early during a preseason game, or getting arrested back in Texas on two alcohol-related charges

So, we might sign an underperforming, lazy RB who lacks motivation and can't start his car without blowing into a breathalyzer first? Hard for me to get fired up about that.

12. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

does this mean there goona bring in VY also, can't help but wonder how good he would have at texas with out VY. i hope this isn't true. hell, the cowboys haven't even signed him.

13. Texans_Chick

I think at this point, we are supposed to talk about beggars and choosers.

Signed,
    Ron Dayne, Sam Gado, that ex-Raider RB whose name I forget how to spell

It would be a minor surprise to me, but not a major one if it happened.

Smith said some interesting things during the draft process about character and wanting to find out the real situations with players. Ankle bracelet guys are typically not who Smith targets, but you never know what sort of looksee Smith might want to take for a position where you hope that Alex Gibbs can fix through what he does on the line.

He's not my choice, but then again, the Chicago situation with their offense was a bit of a cluster. Hard to say exactly what you are getting with Benson.

14. Toro59

Toro59 Rookie

It really is a slow news day

15. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I have a hard time believing this could be true. I will just take the believe it when I see it approach.

I don't like the character issues he has stacking up for sure, and we know the FO doesn't dig it, so Cedric has got some 'splaining to do to sell this one.

16. 281

281 Hall of Fame

don't buy it, sorry

17. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Nay, Nay, I thousand times NAY! I am not impressed with him, on and off the field.

18. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Did Toro get fired?

Señor Stan likes this.
  19. Texans_Chick

There are some who believe that the Benson-Bears fit was bad from the start. That they started off wrong and it was a bad situation. There's some who believe that not only that he was immature, but he was also homesick.

See e.g.:

Cedric Benson, Bears never a good fit

The Texans would be a good place for Benson to get a new start. Familiar, no dominant running back, a nice offensive system, QB is not an issue, Kubiak is good at getting well paid guys into become more team guys, to prepare like professionals.

Whether the Texans think he has anything to offer and is worth the project, is a different question.

20. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Bring him into camp on an incentive laden deal. Evaluate his attitude and work ethic etc. for yourself. We have two fragile every down backs (does that make them every other down backs that combine to an every down back?) and two 3rd down backs.

Don't give him a chance but make him earn it. He's still a kid and may have been humbled. So long as the contract is performance based, cut him the minute he starts pulling stupid shit. If we had a ground game we could count on this is a much different team. I'm not saying hes a franchise back. I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying sometimes talent is burried under layers and layers of ego. You don't bring a guy like him in on his terms, you do it on yours. I think it would be worth a shot as long as he has come to the realization that he's not the man here.

Mike