Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

So, switching from one "QB guru" to a new "QB guru" is going to make Keenum better? Pffft!

A couple dings on Keenum: 1. He lacks the measurements the now "QB guru" obviously wants. 2. Film. He regressed in epic fashion as games went by. He either couldn't read a defense or refused to due to looking for the big play.

I'd be surprised if he made it to camp

What does Fitz have on Keenum in that category? 1" and maybe 15lbs? Not a big difference.

So, switching from one "QB guru" to a new "QB guru" is going to make Keenum better? Pffft!

A couple dings on Keenum: 1. He lacks the measurements the now "QB guru" obviously wants. 2. Film. He regressed in epic fashion as games went by. He either couldn't read a defense or refused to due to looking for the big play.

I'd be surprised if he made it to camp

Wouldn't you say the ENTIRE team regressed in epic fashion and he was basically a rookie QB caught in the middle? Don't you believe the coaching was bad, the kicking was bad, the OL was terrible, there wasn't a running game, and the defense was pourous? Who, except Texans fans, would expect a rookie QB to do well under such circumstances? Oh yes, Schaub and Yates both had the same circumstances and both of them were "bad" .... is there a recurring theme here?

Wouldn't you say the ENTIRE team regressed in epic fashion and he was basically a rookie QB caught in the middle? Don't you believe the coaching was bad, the kicking was bad, the OL was terrible, there wasn't a running game, and the defense was pourous? Who, except Texans fans, would expect a rookie QB to do well under such circumstances? Oh yes, Schaub and Yates both had the same circumstances and both of them were "bad" .... is there a recurring theme here?

Yup, all 3 sucked

At least Pick six read defenses enough to know when to get the ball out. Keenum didn't read blitzes and ended up running around in the backfield, ending in sacks or chuckin it up for grabs.

The Texans already addressed they're biggest need for the 2014 season which was a top nfl quality starting quarterback. Fitzpatrick.

All I'm saying, is the longer this goes on, the less excited I'm getting about Ryan Mallet.

I've just seen your new avatar tk, nice :)

and for the qb thing, nothing is exciting now, I'm a little curious to see how the depth chart will look like, but I would really be surprised if we managed to have "exciting" qb-play this year

Fitz is bad schaub and that's not a good thing. Why go 5-11 with Fitz when you can probably do that or better with TJ or Savage. May 27th is the day for mallett. If he's not traded by or before then, he won't be. I would do a lader contract. Its a 3rd,but if he takes 85% of snaps and throws for 3200yds,20 tds, its a 2nd.

I don't know if I've said this before but...

I don't think Fitzpatrick starts more than 3-4 games at the beginning of he season, if that. I think Savage is the guy OB wanted and he's the guy OB wanted from pretty close to the start.

I think, unlike most 3rd/4th rounders, Savage is going to be expected to pick up the playbook really fast and be ready to be a starter and play. I expect him to be the game 1 starter although he could need a few more weeks of preparation.

I think Fitzpatrick is there to be like another coach in the QB room, a guy to show him how it's done and what's expected, but not to actually play.

I believe Savage starts 4-8 game if the Texans don't trade for Mallet or another qb. I believe OB will not rush Savage he'll wait for him to be ready.

Sent from the future...

The more I think about it, the more I think Savage was just brought in to be the backup of the future, rather than a hopeful franchise guy. Makes sense. Yates is on the low tier of backup QBs. Case Keenum may not even be an NFL QB.

The more I think about it, the more I think Savage was just brought in to be the backup of the future, rather than a hopeful franchise guy. Makes sense. Yates is on the low tier of backup QBs. Case Keenum may not even be an NFL QB.

I believe if we were looking for that, we`d have signed McCarron. McCarron is already pretty good, played in high profile games and can manage your games. That`s what you want in a good backup.

Savage has the tools to be an elite QB but lacks several mental aspects. That`s who you don`t want as your backup. OB believes he can fix Savage - and if he can, he can be a franchise QB. But if he can`t Savage will be out of the league before long.

The odds are that he ends up a career back-up or (worse), but the Texans legitimately think that he has characteristics of a guy that COULD be a legitimate NFL starter. His draft position allows him not to be forced in the line-up too early or the Texans justify acquiring (drafted higher, trade or Fa signing) another QB at any point the future. The Texans are not all in with him, but he a better bet than a QB normally taken at that point in the draft. Still Savage has a better chance of being forgettable than even being a clear (non injury) starter for even a couple of seasons.

The odds are that he ends up a career back-up or (worse), but the Texans legitimately think that he has characteristics of a guy that COULD be a legitimate NFL starter. His draft position allows him not to be forced in the line-up too early or the Texans justify acquiring (drafted higher, trade or Fa signing) another QB at any point the future. The Texans are not all in with him, but he a better bet than a QB normally taken at that point in the draft. Still Savage has a better chance of being forgettable than even being a clear (non injury) starter for even a couple of seasons.

Quite honestly, you could bring Savage along, in this system, the way the Patriots brought Brady along in their system. Little to no high expectations as a backup and hope Savage is ready, when his number is called, to step up to the plate and deliver. Now the Patriots did have Drew Bledsoe running the show, but the Texans so much more than a Bledsoe...they have magic....they have...

FITZMAGIC!!!!!

note* I am not saying Savage is anywhere near Brady now, but coming out of college and from what I remember about Brady at Michigan, they had similar college careers. So extinguish your torches to the left, please------>

note* I am not saying Savage is anywhere near Brady now, but coming out of college and from what I remember about Brady at Michigan, they had similar college careers. So extinguish your torches to the left, please------>

I went back a little while ago to watch some Brady college clips and he looked a lot better to me than Savage looked.

The way Brady stepped into the pocket and some of the throws he made were really, really good.

I don't know how their numbers compare, but just looking at the two on film, to me Brady looked liked the superior player. JMO.

I actually went and looked at the Brady clips I found almost hoping he'd look sloppy...kind of bad...uncoordinated...unsure in the pocket...

I wanted to compare that to what I saw from Savage and say well...if Brady can make this leap, maybe Savage can...

And I watched Savages first game last year and his last game. He did look much better in that last game, but the guy needs a lot of work. Watching him in the pocket is not very pretty to me. Really good arm, but that isn't going to mean much if he doesn't learn how to step up into the pocket and into his throws.

And I looked at Mallett as well, and he's better than Savage is.

The Texans already addressed they're biggest need for the 2014 season which was a top nfl quality starting quarterback. Fitzpatrick.

49826379.jpg

I went back a little while ago to watch some Brady college clips and he looked a lot better to me than Savage looked.

The way Brady stepped into the pocket and some of the throws he made were really, really good.

I don't know how their numbers compare, but just looking at the two on film, to me Brady looked liked the superior player. JMO.

I actually went and looked at the Brady clips I found almost hoping he'd look sloppy...kind of bad...uncoordinated...unsure in the pocket...

I wanted to compare that to what I saw from Savage and say well...if Brady can make this leap, maybe Savage can...

And I watched Savages first game last year and his last game. He did look much better in that last game, but the guy needs a lot of work. Watching him in the pocket is not very pretty to me. Really good arm, but that isn't going to mean much if he doesn't learn how to step up into the pocket and into his throws.

And I looked at Mallett as well, and he's better than Savage is.

I´ve only looked at a highlight clip of Brady - if those were the highlights, than I don`t know what the rest of the games looked like. Don`t get me wrong, he looked good. But he didn`t look great or exceptional. Savage easily has a better arm (both strength and accuracy - oh and tight spiral) coming out of college.

Not that any of that means something, but there is a reason both of these guys weren`t picked in the first 3 rounds. But just because Brady did so exceptionally well doesn`t mean Savage will or will not do good.

I´ve only looked at a highlight clip of Brady - if those were the highlights, than I don`t know what the rest of the games looked like. Don`t get me wrong, he looked good. But he didn`t look great or exceptional
I think it's pretty obvious that a lot of football people did not believe Brady looked like a good football player.

The things you see are not the things that makes him great.

if keenum cant beat out ryan fitzpatrick and tj yates if given an honest shot at winning the job then he doesnt deserve to play.

i want an honest shot from obrien this training camp. unlike the dishonest one that kubiak did in his last training camp here.

if keenum cant beat out ryan fitzpatrick and tj yates if given an honest shot at winning the job then he doesnt deserve to play.

i want an honest shot from obrien this training camp. unlike the dishonest one that kubiak did in his last training camp here.

Keenum had a honest shot last season and fell on his face. That being said I believe OB gives all the qbs a shot a winning the starting job in training camp I just don't think that Keenum has what it takes to be a starting qb.

Quite honestly, you could bring Savage along, in this system, the way the Patriots brought Brady along in their system. Little to no high expectations as a backup and hope Savage is ready, when his number is called, to step up to the plate and deliver. Now the Patriots did have Drew Bledsoe running the show, but the Texans so much more than a Bledsoe...they have magic....they have...

FITZMAGIC!!!!!

You've been around a long time. Why don't you understand how the internets work?
Regardless of how adamant and descriptive your disclaimers are, through the lens of the internet, you straight up compared Savage to Brady. Thas how this shyte works, yo.

“That’s not really something we’re that interested in,” Belichick said, when asked if the team fielded any trade calls about Mallett from other teams. “Ryan has done a good job for us. Fortunately for our team, maybe unfortunately for Ryan, he hasn’t really had any playing time in the last three years. But he’s improved tremendously as a quarterback and as a football player, and we have a lot of confidence in him. But at the same time, he’s in the last year of a contract, and Jimmy [Garoppolo] was the kind of player we had with a high grade on. At that position, I just don’t think you can afford to pass up a player that you think has that kind of value.

"We feel like we have a good quarterback situation. I think there are a lot of teams in the league that maybe don’t feel that good about that position, and that’s not a good position to not feel good about. We feel very good about the players we have at that spot.”
When Kirwan touched on the importance of adding young quarterbacks every few years, and how it’s an ever-evolving process, Belichick agreed.

“We’ve certainly seen teams not take that approach, and I’d say in some cases the results have been pretty disastrous,” Belichick said. “I don’t think that’s a position that you can ever have too much depth at. Certainly too much is better than not enough. Again, we’ll put those players out there and let them compete and see how it goes. But I think all three of them are quality players at that position."
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/...city=boston&src=desktop&ex_cid=espnapi_public

When Kirwan touched on the importance of adding young quarterbacks every few years, and how it’s an ever-evolving process, Belichick agreed.

“We’ve certainly seen teams not take that approach, and I’d say in some cases the results have been pretty disastrous,” Belichick said. “I don’t think that’s a position that you can ever have too much depth at. Certainly too much is better than not enough. Again, we’ll put those players out there and let them compete and see how it goes. But I think all three of them are quality players at that position."
As best as one can ever accurately translate Beli-Speak, this tells me that he intends to keep all three guys on the roster for the 2014 season.

I mean, Billy B figures that Brady is his starter and Mallett is insurance should Brady go down for a significant length of time. I can't see him relying on Garappolo to fill in in that situation or to be forced to trade for a vet and hope he picks up the N.E offense.

Next year may be a totally different story.

I mean, Billy B figures that Brady is his starter and Mallett is insurance should Brady go down for a significant length of time. I can't see him relying on Garappolo to fill in in that situation or to be forced to trade for a vet and hope he picks up the N.E offense.

I bet he'd wait until he's had this guy in camp a few weeks before he made that decision.

i know as a die-hard, i'm supposed to be sitting here 'woe is me' about our quarterback situation. all the pundits say so. the draft experts said we're doomed without a shiny new quarterback. our fans and top wide receiver are predicting rebuilding mediocrity at best because of our quarterbacks.

me? i'm excited.

my critical analysis, personal judgements and complete awe when watching are well on display regarding keenum. i'm not a UH fan, and never saw keenum in college other than reviewing film. the kid is special, and had he played for sumlin at A&M instead of UH we'd be annoyed with his media attention. as it is, and i've said ad nauseam, he wouldnt be ready until this season. well, it's this season and as a bonus we have game film for keenum to progress with. he's too short, but has every other tool you want behind center. we found his kryptonite last season, and if that can be worked on with true first team practice (the most sorely lacking of his development), keenum could be great.

yates i honestly dont expect to be here. not because i think he's bad, but i think his ceiling is a backup. yates to me is a young sage rosenfels, and i say that as a compliment. if you could only get them to play like brady they're both able to calmly move the ball to open targets and march down the field, and certainly able to win games. both are 'try too hards' that dont want to be brady, they want to be elway, and that wont ever change. forcing the ball down the field, running to win, and trying to prove something.

fitz despite being the old veteran is IMO the biggest enigma at the position. mobile in and out of the pocket, quick reads, smart, similarly a 'try too hard', but the poor guy has been on some REALLY bad teams. what would he do with a line and real targets with real coaching? he's rarely had any of those - forget about having all. fitz may actually surprise.

savage is going to be fun. many here and around the league had him as high as late first or early second based on pure potential. one look and he's obviously a quarterback. arm, mobility, great learning capacity and accuracy. he's obviously going to sit a year. he has to develop his arm, his endurance, his ability to digest and relay an NFL playbook, and most importantly build relationships. the only question is his drive. he's shown a lot of petulant appearing "i want" through college, has he learned "i'll earn"? if he has, we've got a great potential on the roster.

forgive me for not rolling over because "they" said so. i see real potential, both this year and beyond at the quarterback position. i'm certain that no less than 2 of the mentioned quarterbacks are going to step up to exceed expectation, and i'm excited to see who rises.

sorry for the book, i've had a few. :doot:

i know as a die-hard, i'm supposed to be sitting here 'woe is me' about our quarterback situation. all the pundits say so. the draft experts said we're doomed without a shiny new quarterback. our fans and top wide receiver are predicting rebuilding mediocrity at best because of our quarterbacks.

me? i'm excited.

my critical analysis, personal judgements and complete awe when watching are well on display regarding keenum. i'm not a UH fan, and never saw keenum in college other than reviewing film. the kid is special, and had he played for sumlin at A&M instead of UH we'd be annoyed with his media attention. as it is, and i've said ad nauseam, he wouldnt be ready until this season. well, it's this season and as a bonus we have game film for keenum to progress with. he's too short, but has every other tool you want behind center. we found his kryptonite last season, and if that can be worked on with true first team practice (the most sorely lacking of his development), keenum could be great.

yates i honestly dont expect to be here. not because i think he's bad, but i think his ceiling is a backup. yates to me is a young sage rosenfels, and i say that as a compliment. if you could only get them to play like brady they're both able to calmly move the ball to open targets and march down the field, and certainly able to win games. both are 'try too hards' that dont want to be brady, they want to be elway, and that wont ever change. forcing the ball down the field, running to win, and trying to prove something.

fitz despite being the old veteran is IMO the biggest enigma at the position. mobile in and out of the pocket, quick reads, smart, similarly a 'try too hard', but the poor guy has been on some REALLY bad teams. what would he do with a line and real targets with real coaching? he's rarely had any of those - forget about having all. fitz may actually surprise.

savage is going to be fun. many here and around the league had him as high as late first or early second based on pure potential. one look and he's obviously a quarterback. arm, mobility, great learning capacity and accuracy. he's obviously going to sit a year. he has to develop his arm, his endurance, his ability to digest and relay an NFL playbook, and most importantly build relationships. the only question is his drive. he's shown a lot of petulant appearing "i want" through college, has he learned "i'll earn"? if he has, we've got a great potential on the roster.

forgive me for not rolling over because "they" said so. i see real potential, both this year and beyond at the quarterback position. i'm certain that no less than 2 of the mentioned quarterbacks are going to step up to exceed expectation, and i'm excited to see who rises.

sorry for the book, i've had a few. :doot:

man I hope you're right...

i'm certain that no less than 2 of the mentioned quarterbacks are going to step up to exceed expectation, and i'm excited to see who rises.

Love the enthusiasm. I hope we don't see more than one QB starting for the Houston Texans this year. I do believe one of our four QBs can be as good as Cassel was in this system when he played for McDaniels in New England & Weis in KC.

I hope OB can identify which one that is early & get him up to speed asap.

me? i'm excited.

I made this thread after day two of the draft: No QB and I'm not even the least bit upset

I saw that they got help at positions of need or very good value at each selection while resisting the temptation to reach for a QB.
When you realize that this is a QB driven , what have you done for me in the last 30 seconds league .... resisting that temptation is very difficult.

I'd have liked to have seen an upgrade at the position but after picking this crop of QB's apart for the last 6 months , I'm still intrigued by the potential boom or bust that is Manziel ... but I think it was best they didn't make that leap.
The guy they did take had some draft pundits give him a first round grade ..... Maybe he is the answer (I'm highly skeptical).

I'm concerned about the position , especially beyond this season but if the defense lives up to its potential , this team could win 9-10 games with any one of the QB's currently on the roster as the signal caller .... pending they limit the mistakes.
Remember they are playing a last place schedule .....and in a division with three of the worst records in the league last season.

Beat Jax and the Tinbreds twice each and you are half way to .500 ..... that's entirely possible.

Then you face the Redskins , Bills , Raiders , Browns & Giants who were all sub .500 last season.

Add to that Baltimore , Pittsburgh and Dallas who finished .500

The playoffs are possible if that defense lives up to its potential and the offense limits its mistakes.

Let's look at it a different way.
Was Mallett worth 1.1 to the Texans?
No, because otherwise, a deal was simple.

Was he worth 2.1 for the Texans?
Very highly unlikely.
Do you think that Belichik would refuse 2.1 for Mallett?
What prevented such a transaction.

Why would you want any QB that neither coach want at that "value"?

This is what I think happened.

When OB got here, he thought the thing that could help him jump start his era in Houston would be to get Matt Cassel or Ryan Mallet. Cassel & OB got to talking, figured they could work something out, so Cassel opted out of his contract with the Vikings.

Andre got word of this & told the Texans, "I've got chemistry with Case. If you bury him on the depth chart, I may have to question how badly I want to be here."

They scrapped that idea & Cassel went back to Minnesota.

The Texans also stopped thinking about bringing in Ryan Mallet, but Belichick keeps calling. Sounding desperate & pathetic really. At one point he was willing to give up Mallet for a conditional 4th next season.

OB wanted it. Smith wanted it. But they want Andre more.

Mallet wasn't ever thought to be the Texans "saviour" only a jump start. OB & Smith now feel that putting together a power run game can give us that same jump start with Case... maybe better.

Su'a-filo, Fiedorowicz....

Arian said he'll add steak to his diet if they got him a real FB.

Prosch.....

When OB got here, he thought the thing that could help him jump start his era in Houston would be to get Matt Cassel or Ryan Mallet. Cassel & OB got to talking, figured they could work something out, so Cassel opted out of his contract with the Vikings.

Andre got word of this & told the Texans, "I've got chemistry with Case. If you bury him on the depth chart, I may have to question how badly I want to be here."

The Texans also stopped thinking about bringing in Ryan Mallet, but Belichick keeps calling. Sounding desperate & pathetic really. At one point he was willing to give up Mallet for a conditional 4th next season.

Mallet wasn't ever thought to be the Texans "saviour" only a jump start. OB & Smith now feel that putting together a power run game can give us that same jump start with Case... maybe better.

Prosch.....

movie_xfiles.jpg

Prosch.....

That's sounds like a Movie of the Week on Bravo. I think you missed your calling. You should be writing made for TV movie scripts bro.

McGloin
The Oakland Raiders and Houston Texans could look at a trade involving Matt McGloin at some point this offseason, as the Texans still need a legit starting quarterback after drafting Tom Savage...

McGloin showed last season that he could play in the NFL and while he did not totally win out the starting job, he proved that he could hack it in the pros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Dalton

b9Gsnfg.png

Well according to Wikipedia Andy Dalton is.

Now Dalton was another smart QB that I liked.
He doesn't have quite the measurables either.
But he's also a QB, not just a thrower.
I like these guys; they are supposed to be able to use the weapons afforded to them.
These are my kind of QBs.

I want a QB who can make the best use out of the other ten guys on the field.

That's the number one trait I look for in a prospect.

This addition was made June 1........but there is no corroboration anywhere else I can find. Apparently invalid submission (at the same time has him listed as with Texans (2013 to the present).

You telling me everything on the internet isn't the truth?

:slapfight:

Bill O’Brien Hints That He Will Only Bring 3 QBs To Training Camp

HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – The Houston Texans currently have four quarterbacks on their roster trying to make Bill O’Brien’s inaugural squad. On Monday the first year head coach hinted that likely only three of those four would be heading to training camp in just under a month.
“Anytime you have four (quarterbacks)…I don’t think it is easy to divide the reps,” O’Brien said in his post practice press conference. “I think you can really get three guys reps in a practice. Which is basically what we’ve been doing. I know that isn’t the easiest thing for those guys but three out of four have been getting reps.”

texans24.jpg

Back