Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should Mills be given the reins next season?

Another good reason to focus the draft on offense. I've supported drafting OL with our first two picks. I'm now beginning to lean toward drafting skill players, as well, on day two. Don't know if Lovie would be in agreement, going so heavily offense and at the expense of defense. A lot will depend on what we can get in free agency.

If we can't get one of the two top edge rushers....then yeah I think offense is the best thing to do. I would love Hutchinson at 3, I think it would ramp up the D in a big way. Then go all offense with 2 OL and a good RB. After that, we can get some WR or TEs in about the 4th. And if Nick trades that 2nd pick we can easily get OL (1-2), RB and DB or WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The 13th pick would likely net us 2 2nds and a 3rd along with the picks we have currently. Meaning before the 4th we easily can have some good young rookies for Mills in both weapons and protection. If Hutchinson is gone we can move down some and get a late 1st and a 2nd and 3rd (probably 2 each). If we trade 13 I can see our picks looking like this (not going to guess if we move from 3rd).
Round 1
1- Edge
• No. 13 (Round 1 from Browns) Trade we get 2nds and 2 3rds

2 other 2nds
• No. 37 (Round 2)

3rd round plus 2 3rds

• No. 68 (Round 3)

• No. 80 (Round 3 from Saints)

4th round

• No. 107 (Round 4 from Browns, Lions)

• No. 108 (Round 4)

That should net us some really good players. And we still have 6th and 7th round picks. With 8 picks before round 4!!
The reason I only list Hutchinson is I'm not sold on Kayvon Thibodeaux. The hype on him is similar to Clowney and he is not as big. With 8 picks if it was done we could have Amazing Offense for Mills

Lovie Smith: I’m a believer in Davis Mills and what he’ll do for us
Posted by Josh Alper on April 11, 2022, 1:25 PM EDT

The Texans traded Deshaun Watson to the Browns last month, but they otherwise stayed out of the swap meet that sent starters flying around the league at the start of the offseason.

That leaves Davis Mills in line to start and nothing that head coach Lovie Smith said at the start of the team’s offseason program on Monday hinted at any second thoughts about going all in with the second-year player. Smith praised Mills for organizing workouts with his teammates over the last couple of months and working to recruit other players to come to Houston.

Smith went on to say that he is a “believer” in what Mills will be able to do now that he has a professional season under his belt.

“I believe in him, Pep Hamilton, second year in system, so many good things that he did. And that’s as a rookie. The improvement you see from year one to year two is normally a big improvement and that’s what we’re going to see from him,” Smith said.

second year in system
Please don't let that mean what I think it means...

It means that he will either get us high draft picks next year or get us a surprising winning record next year.

This will be Mills' 2nd year in the system. But let's remember that he only started 11 games last year, and he did not get most of the 1st team reps in preseason.
Mills saw the field plenty in 2021, taking 70% of the snaps at QB for the Texans in 2021. He was only behind Lawrence and Jones in snaps amongst rookie QBs, and ahead of Wilson and Fields. Mills is only a year younger than Kyler Murray and 2 years younger than Josh Allen. No longer a babe in the woods.

Mills saw the field plenty in 2021, taking 70% of the snaps at QB for the Texans in 2021. He was only behind Lawrence and Jones in snaps amongst rookie QBs, and ahead of Wilson and Fields. Mills is only a year younger than Kyler Murray and 2 years younger than Josh Allen. No longer a babe in the woods.
No longer a babe in the woods, but with much less experience going into the NFL, and significantly less experience completing full games in his rookie year...........and coming out of 2021, with only Mac Jones having been a more coveted rookie QB.

I fail to see the validity of Wilson's or Allen's age in the comparison.

Last edited:
Mills should have a maturity beyond his actual game experience.
Coming into 2021 I thought Mills was way behind the QBs drafted in the 1st round, as far as experience goes.

But after the season I feel he's going to be on level footing, experience wise.

Talentwise... I think he's less talented than all but Mac Jones.

What's their strategy behind naming Mills the starter right now, after avoiding it a few weeks ago?
There's a reason they're putting this information out there at this time in my opinion.
Presumably it has something to do with the draft, I'm just not clear on what they're trying to achieve

Coming into 2021 I thought Mills was way behind the QBs drafted in the 1st round, as far as experience goes.

But after the season I feel he's going to be on level footing, experience wise.

Talentwise... I think he's less talented than all but Mac Jones.
?????
Mills should have a maturity beyond his actual game experience.
I still don't understand.............Tom Savage was more mature than Watson, but the skill set wasn't greater.

What's their strategy behind naming Mills the starter right now, after avoiding it a few weeks ago?
There's a reason they're putting this information out there at this time in my opinion.
Presumably it has something to do with the draft, I'm just not clear on what they're trying to achieve
The Texans may have decided that they would not go after a QB in this year's draft, or if they, it would be in a later round for a QB that would be unlikely prepared to compete this year for a starting job.

I still don't understand.............Tom Savage was more mature than Watson, but the skill set wasn't greater.

Where exactly did skill set enter the conversation?

Mills is now as NFL ready as the other 2021 rookie starters. He solely has the keys to the car, now. He's the man in mini camps, training camp, and the regular season. The only question left to answer is can he deliver.

Where exactly did skill set enter the conversation?

Mills is now as NFL ready as the other 2021 rookie starters. He solely has the keys to the car, now. He's the man in mini camps, training camp, and the regular season. The only question left to answer is can he deliver.
I guess you lost me when you used the word maturity......it potentially can refer to many traits of a QB. Can he deliver is what we are all waiting for this season.

No, they're just confirming to the team that Mills is the leader going into OTCs.

They're saying QB isn't a high priority right now, meaning they will be looking at other positions in the higher rounds - especially the first.
This will force a different tactic for those below us who may have been thinking one of the blue chip guys would fall to them. So, if they were banking on getting a Hutchinson/Gardner/Neal/Thibodeaux, they will have to change their strategy and perhaps move up to make sure they get their guy.
Iow, it looks like a tactic by Carstereo to entice a trade.

Here's what they're saying.. "Hey QB needy teams, the #3 pick in this draft is for sale". (Speaking to you Giants).

Texans home page has posted a transcript of Lovies comments regarding Davis Mills. Said he is their QB, discussed his improvement during the season last year and what he needs to do and is doing this offseason to earn the trust and leadership of the team. Sounds like he is giving DM every chance to become their guy This year.

By keeping Brandin Cooks and Laremy Tunsil, Houston Texans show they believe they can win with Davis Mills
Apr 17, 2022
Sarah BarshopESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- After the Houston Texans traded away quarterback Deshaun Watson, it would have been easy for the franchise to trade away the few proven veterans they have left to give general manager Nick Caserio even more of a blank slate to build a team.

Instead, Caserio signed wide receiver Brandin Cooks to a two-year contract extension and kept left tackle Laremy Tunsil, converting his base salary to a signing bonus that effectively ties him to the organization for the remaining two years of his contract.

By keeping those two players, the Texans are not only showing they’re not totally against winning, but that they want to give Davis Mills a legitimate shot to be their quarterback of the future.

The Texans have also given Mills, a third-round pick in 2021, consistency in his coaching staff, despite letting go of coach David Culley this offseason, by promoting defensive coordinator Lovie Smith to head coach and passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach Pep Hamilton to offensive coordinator.

When the Texans drafted Mills last year, they had no clarity on Watson’s future, no first- or second-round picks and little hope that they’d be competing for a playoff spot in the near future. While Mills struggled at first after veteran Tyrod Taylor went down with a left hamstring injury in Week 2, he showed enough improvement down the stretch of the season when he again replaced Taylor, who struggled after returning from injury, to earn the opportunity to compete for the Texans’ starting job this season.

By committing to players like wide receiver Brandin Cooks and tackle Laremy Tunsil, the Houston Texans are showing a willingness to compete instead of completely rebuild. Matt Pendleton/USA TODAY Sports

“It’s huge that we signed [Cooks] back,” Mills said. “I’m extremely excited to continue working with him. He has a ton of talent and makes it really hard on defenses to game plan to go out there to stop him. … He’s also a great leader for our team.”

And while there was no doubt that keeping Cooks and Tunsil makes the Texans significantly better, with a roster with plenty of holes, it might have made sense for Caserio to get the bigger contracts off the books and focus on building around a quarterback in this draft or the next.

Instead, Caserio paid Cooks a contract that averages $19.8 million over the next two years, with $36 million guaranteed. Had the Texans chosen to trade Cooks instead of paying him, they were looking for a second-round pick, a source told ESPN.

The Texans already have five of the top 80 picks in this month's draft, including pick No. 3 and the 13th pick from the Browns via the Watson trade. The two first-rounders are more than they’ve had in the last four drafts combined.

Investments don't always become good investments. Giving an age 30 WR $39 million guaranteed would be described as a risky stock.
It’s a risk stock no matter the age or the position. Arizona paid Hopkins all that money at the age of 27. That investment hasn’t netted them anything. Von Miller is 33 and look at the massive contract he just received.

It’s a risky business.

I'll die on this hill. Davis Mills is better than any QB in this draft. If he waited to come out this draft he would probably be the first QB picked.

I'm quite happy to see Mills being given the chance to prove himself the franchise QB this year. With talent around him, I think he's up to the task. I'm hoping we do not have to use a high pick on a QB next year and continue adding other pieces.

I'm quite happy to see Mills being given the chance to prove himself the franchise QB this year. With talent around him, I think he's up to the task. I'm hoping we do not have to use a high pick on a QB next year and continue adding other pieces.
He showed improvement towards the end of the season with a poor supporting cast so I imagine him getting help will only boost his stocks - can't see regression under those circumstances.

I would say most WR's are still very effective at 30.

This is just another attempt by the bean counters to strip down the roster and limit Mills chances for success.

Agreed. Not sure how keeping a WR like Cooks can be anything but a good thing for a second year QB. Same with keeping Tunsil. Some people just want to tank. Problem with tanking is… the people in charge usually get fired when the tank is complete and someone else reaps the rewards. Who would willfully do that?

Gotcha :ok:

Texans worthy is a good thing now.

We're talking about 2 totally different things. Yes, I believe in taking chances on talented but troubled guys preferably in rds 3-7. But there are exceptions to this rule, Example: I would pick Wyatt at #13. If he fell to #37 I definitely would be all over that. He made a mistake and lost his temper. Kicked a door in and he and his GF had made up by the time the cops got there. If she can forgive him then so can I.

Last edited:
I would say most WR's are still very effective at 30.
Well, that's an uneducated opinion. So , I'll take it for what it's worth.
Agreed. Not sure how keeping a WR like Cooks can be anything but a good thing for a second year QB.
Cooks was already signed for 2022. What I'm referring to is the extension for 2023-2024. Will Mills still require kid gloves as a 3rd & 4th year starter?

Back