Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should Mills be given the reins next season?

Assistants & coordinators. Crappy coaches can ruin player careers

This staff was never going to be on Kirby more than 2 yrs.

Luckily Culley had good asst. coaches, minus Kelly.

Like I said for me this yr was about finding 5-6 guys that can be part of the on field future. Caserio exceeded my expectations because he found the QBof the future in addition to finding 5 or 6 other guys in FA/Draft that can play. The fact that he did this without 1st/2nd rd picks is even more impressive. IMHO

Agreed, Even more so the WR position.

The only person you can compare is Brady to Brady. The fact that you cant compare players in different eras falls directly on a lack of leadership and ruining of the game IMHO during Furher God'ell's reign of uncontrolled power.
He's not the one changing rules all the time. That is called the competition committee

He's not the one changing rules all the time. That is called the competition committee

He suggested the rules changes and had enough friends within the committee to get what he wanted done. Anyways his resume isn't what it seems.

Davis proved this year that he is workable, and coachable; to a point. He was drafted in the 3rd round, but based on what he did this year, he could "grow" into a full-time starter without any doubts, if the team is patient enough. Yes, I agree that we need a "Superhero" at quarterback like Mahomes II, Rodgers, Allen; even Russell Wilson if he's salvageable.

If a potential franchise QB is around in the draft that we can work with; once again, do you draft him and start from scratch, keep Davis and build around him (obviously we need weapons too), or keep developing Davis to something he may or may not be? We a long way from being ready, but as you know, its starts with the quarterback, offensive line, and a defense that needs an uplift.

Davis proved this year that he is workable, and coachable; to a point. He was drafted in the 3rd round, but based on what he did this year, he could "grow" into a full-time starter without any doubts, if the team is patient enough. Yes, I agree that we need a "Superhero" at quarterback like Mahomes II, Rodgers, Allen; even Russell Wilson if he's salvageable.

If a potential franchise QB is around in the draft that we can work with; once again, do you draft him and start from scratch, keep Davis and build around him (obviously we need weapons too), or keep developing Davis to something he may or may not be? We a long way from being ready, but as you know, its starts with the quarterback, offensive line, and a defense that needs an uplift.

If a QB1 is considered by most folks to be the most important player…..then we all know that the OL is the biggest reason a QB1 will succeed or fail. I guess the OL should be the most important unit on the field. Build a fortress up front and it’s likely any QB stands has a better chance at success.

If a QB1 is considered by most folks to be the most important player…..then we all know that the OL is the biggest reason a QB1 will succeed or fail. I guess the OL should be the most important unit on the field. Build a fortress up front and it’s likely any QB stands has a better chance at success.
The Texans replaced their OL coach last season. So there was a new process & scheme introduced.

The Texans fired their OC this year.

Maybe they feel the problem was more coaching than talent

The Texans replaced their OL coach last season. So there was a new process & scheme introduced.

The Texans fired their OC this year.

Maybe they feel the problem was more coaching than talent

Maybe, we will see, but 1st lets find out who the next HC is going to be.

To me it's still a matter of talent. 2 different regime and the OL still sucks. Any OL with a combination of Christian/Scharping and Howard on it is going to be below avg. Heck was no great shakes either. A new influx of talent is badly needed. IMHO

To me it's still a matter of talent. 2 different regime and the OL still sucks
I’m not saying talent isn’t an issue. But two regimes ousted in two years is pretty strong evidence of a coaching issue as well.

Any OL with a combination of Christian/Scharping and Howard on it is going to be below avg.
Maybe. But I don’t like tossing talent away just because. Makes it harder to build depth. & I think Christian & Howard do well at LT. I know Caserio has a thing for Morrisey.

A new influx of talent is badly needed
I don’t disagree.

I’m not saying talent isn’t an issue. But two regimes ousted in two years is pretty strong evidence of a coaching issue as well.

Maybe. But I don’t like tossing talent away just because. Makes it harder to build depth. & I think Christian & Howard do well at LT. I know Caserio has a thing for Morrisey.

I don’t disagree.

True

I would try to trade Howard for whatever I could get for him. (Sunk cost) You might get a bag of stale chips for Christian.

Yep, more talent never hurts anything.

A good highlight video of Mills' throws from 2021. Worth watching as a reminder of his upside.

Davis 'General' Mills Highlights | Best value QB in 2021 NFL draft - YouTube

And for once the music in a fan made video isn't too terrible.
thats-my-quarterback.jpg

This staff was never going to be on Kirby more than 2 yrs.

Luckily Culley had good asst. coaches, minus Kelly.

Like I said for me this yr was about finding 5-6 guys that can be part of the on field future. Caserio exceeded my expectations because he found the QBof the future in addition to finding 5 or 6 other guys in FA/Draft that can play. The fact that he did this without 1st/2nd rd picks is even more impressive. IMHO

He did?

I believe he did.

I was very impressed by Mills the last month of the season.

What did you not like about the way Mills played in the last month of the season?

It's a gigantic leap and extremely premature to make such a commanding statement like "he found the QB of the future".

Slow your roll.

Give this kid some weapons and protection and he can be pretty good...How good? i don't know. Elite guys show command of the huddle and the field...Didn't really see that from him...but he was a rookie. Maybe he improves in this area as he gets more seasoning. The ceiling imo is still fluctuating & too hard to predict at this point.

It's a gigantic leap and extremely premature to make such a commanding statement like "he found the QB of the future".

Slow your roll.
It’s no different if he drafted Mills in the first round & he played the way he did.

like right now, New England probably thinks they have their QB at least for the next three years.

Chicago & NYJets are probably hoping they do, but probably aren’t sure. They’re not going to make a QB move next season. & hope they don’t have to two years from now.

If I’m Nick, I’m firmly planted between the two thought processes.

Slow your roll.

What do you not like about how Mills played the last month of the season? If he was picked 1-1 and played the way he played the last month of the season would you be making this post? Do you think Lawrence is a future franchise QB?

I dont put alot of stock in where players are drafted and tend to put alot of stock in the way they play and how their progression looks. It looked to me that Mills is very talented and was making great progression. Particularly since he's very inexperienced.

Give this kid some weapons and protection and he can be pretty good...How good? i don't know. Elite guys show command of the huddle and the field...Didn't really see that from him...but he was a rookie. Maybe he improves in this area as he gets more seasoning. The ceiling imo is still fluctuating & too hard to predict at this point.

How did Manning look as a rookie in these areas as he was throwing ints?

How did Manning look as a rookie in these areas as he was throwing ints?

i don’t recall seeing Manning his rookie year… but based on the years I did watch Manning play, he likely always had the command & field general type of awareness, even as a rookie. The high number of ints he threw as a rookie reek of just him being too aggressive; a trait that he has always had as a player. It’s one of the reasons he had trouble breaking though against the Pats early on. Belichick used to keep him on the sidelines as much as possible when Brady was & co. we’re on offense & then make Manning dink & dunk down the field when he did get on. Eventually, he’d get inpatient and try to force something down field & it’d get picked or defensed. He learned later on how to be patient and that’s when the tables turned in that rivalry.

You're totally wrong.
There are games of Manning in his rookie year on YouTube.
And remember also, the rules back then aren't the same as they are today.
Watch Peyton play, and you'd know he already belongs, NO QUESTION asked.
Agreed. Rocket arm & a DX2-66 processor all there from the beginning

Based on the NFL QB index, the answer to the original question is a definite MAYBE.
NFL QB Index: Ranking all 62 starting QBs of the 2021 NFL season

"Mills outplaying the top-three picks in the 2021 draft as a rookie is either a sign of great things to come or will look insane in a decade. The floor on Mills has definitely been raised; he's an NFL quarterback and possibly a starter. The ceiling is also intriguing, because his physical gifts are obvious. This is not Mike Glennon."

Based on the NFL QB index, the answer to the original question is a definite MAYBE.

"Mills outplaying the top-three picks in the 2021 draft as a rookie is either a sign of great things to come or will look insane in a decade. The floor on Mills has definitely been raised; he's an NFL quarterback and possibly a starter. The ceiling is also intriguing, because his physical gifts are obvious. This is not Mike Glennon."
Where would you like your teams QB to be on that list, at a minimum? Like, I'm thinking every QB below 14 (not on a rookie contract) should be on the hotseat.

Where do you draw the line?

I've seen a couple of draft analysts recently mention that they think Mills would have been a mid-1st round pick this year if he had stayed in school.

I'm cool with the Texans giving him another season. He showed enough potential to justify it, and let's face it, this isn't a playoff run. I just hope they can protect him while he develops.

I've seen a couple of draft analysts recently mention that they think Mills would have been a mid-1st round pick this year if he had stayed in school.

I'm cool with the Texans giving him another season. He showed enough potential to justify it, and let's face it, this isn't a playoff run. I just hope they can protect him while he develops.

He should be the 1st QB taken if he was in this yrs draft, after what he showed against NFL competition last year.

What QB in this draft do you like more than Mills? You don't think the Panthers/Broncos Redskins wouldn't be picking Mills if he was in this years draft? I bet the Texans could get #11 in this draft if they wanted to trade Mills to the Redskins.

Absolutely. If I saw a Herbert in this draft, I would not trade out of the 3rd overall, but I'd be pumping up Davis Mills. Make everyone believe I'm going after that Thibeddeaux fella.

He should be the 1st QB taken if he was in this yrs draft, after what he showed against NFL competition last year.

What QB in this draft do you like more than Mills? You don't think the Panthers/Broncos Redskins wouldn't be picking Mills if he was in this years draft? I bet the Texans could get #11 in this draft if they wanted to trade Mills to the Redskins.
He will look even better if they can get a running game established

He will look even better if they can get a running game established

No doubt about it. Really get any kind of running game going at this point since they were dead last with running the ball in 2021, iirc.

I'm actually looking forward to 2022 because of Mills and Love. No predictions, but just looking forward to seeing improvement.

What QB in this draft do you like more than Mills?
Any comparison has to be apples to apples. So, I can't go off Mills pro experience, since the other QBs can't be evaluated against that. I can evaluate traits.

I prefer the mobility of Willis, Ridder, Howell, Corral, and Pickett. I prefer the pocket presence of Ridder. I prefer the arm strength of Willis. I prefer the accuracy of Corral.

But do I like any of these guys enough to spend a top 10 pick on? Nope. Not if I don't have to. And the Texans don't have to, because we've seen enough from Mills to put him squarely in the same category of these QB prospects. Really, the Texans need to build this roster, no matter the QB situation. Passing on this crop of passers is a no brainer decision for the Texans at this point.

As an aside, this ranking is atrocious. I'm not riding Mills jock, but to put Mills behind some of these QBs is laughable. The only NFL offense Tyler Huntley could function in is the Ravens. And he barely does that. And the talent surrounding Mills has to be taken into consideration. Also, Trey Lance and Gardner Minshew are much too low on this list.

Last edited:
I prefer the mobility of Willis, Ridder, Howell, Corral, and Pickett. I prefer the pocket presence of Ridder. I prefer the arm strength of Willis. I prefer the accuracy of Corral.
Is there anything of Mills that you prefer?

If you acquired a 15-20 pick, would you draft one of these guys? I'm starting to like that Corral guy. & might try to find a way to get him.

Is there anything of Mills that you prefer?
From a traits standpoint, I like Mills' size. I think his only deficit is his mobility and ability to escape the rush and make off schedule plays. He's right with most of these guys in arm strength and accuracy. If we assume Nick Caserio and the Texans prefer good sized pocket passers, Mills would be at the top of the list. But, I think his weakness in creating off schedule plays limits his ceiling.

From a traits standpoint, I like Mills' size. I think his only deficit is his mobility and ability to escape the rush and make off schedule plays. He's right with most of these guys in arm strength and accuracy. If we assume Nick Caserio and the Texans prefer good sized pocket passers, Mills would be at the top of the list. But, I think his weakness in creating off schedule plays limits his ceiling.

I've seen Mills move around pretty well. Checkout the TD to Amendola in the last game where he was able to scramble around enough to give Amendola enough time to get open.

I've also seen him fake on a boot and beat the defender to the GL for a TD on a 2yd run. Is Mills a running QB? Nope, but he's not the Schaub type statue QB some ( not you) on here make him out to be.

I've seen Mills move around pretty well. Checkout the TD to Amendola in the last game where he was able to scramble around enough to give Amendola enough time to get open.
I thought Mills best improvisational play was on the opening drive vs. the Seahawks. Mills escaped pressure from the right side, stepped up in the pocket only to find pressure, rolled out to the right, kept his head up and found Jordan in the back of the endzone.

That's what Mills needs to work on in the offseason. He'll never be a natural improvisational player. But plays break down sometimes, and Mills has to be able to react to that.

I thought Mills best improvisational play was on the opening drive vs. the Seahawks. Mills escaped pressure from the right side, stepped up in the pocket only to find pressure, rolled out to the right, kept his head up and found Jordan in the back of the endzone.

That's what Mills needs to work on in the offseason. He'll never be a natural improvisational player. But plays break down sometimes, and Mills has to be able to react to that.
Right. The only time I was disappointed with his playmaking ability, a couple of times he got out of the pocket, made a move, changed his mind, made another move, changed his mind then took a sack.

I think there were three times like that. & I was just like, dude who do you think you are?

Make a move, if it’s not there, chunk it.

Back