Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Shawn Barber signs (per 610am) with the Texans

Obviously it's a long time since Barber played for the Redskins but I was disappointed when he left the 'Skins. He's an excellent coverage 'backer who plays with a lot of intensity. Not sure how healthy he is now but I'm sure he could be a good contributor in a depth role if the Texans did get him.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=66316

LB Barber Headed For Houston

March 19, 2007
By CHRIS McPHERSON

Linebacker Shawn Barber will be wearing a new uniform in 2007.

The 6-2, 240-pound free agent outside linebacker has decided to join the Houston Texans after spending two days with the team last week. Barber spent last season in Philadelphia and contributed 60 tackles in the nickel linebacker role despite missing three games due to injuries.

LB Shawn Barber is headed for Houston
A leader in the locker room, Barber was awarded the Jack Edelstein Memorial Award this past season, which is given to the Eagles player "with an uplifting manner, a love for life, and an exceptional sense of humor who makes all with whom he comes in contact with feel good."

The 32-year-old Barber joined the Eagles last year after three seasons in Kansas City. Barber enjoyed his best season in 2003 when he tallied a career-high 141 tackles and five sacks. Injuries hampered his 2004 and 2005 seasons. Barber previously played in Philadelphia in 2002 and had a superb season with 119 tackles, two interceptions including a career-long 80-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Barber began his NFL career with the Washington Redskins as a fourth-round draft pick in 1998. In 105 career games - 76 starts - Barber has 643 tackles, 10 sacks, seven interceptions, 10 forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries.

It'll be interesting to see who wins the SAM position between he and Clark. IIRC, Clark was coming to Houston only if he was told he'd have a good shot as the starter. The LB position should be an interesting competition this coming TC. Heck, maybe they both end up starting. One of them could end up beating Greenwood out.:)

Nice. This means LB can go a little further down in the draft. I see a player that is a great mentor for an already solid LB in Demeco and in an overacheiver in Orr and Greenwood who began to show signs last year.

It'll be interesting to see who wins the SAM position between he and Clark. IIRC, Clark was coming to Houston only if he was told he'd have a good shot as the starter. The LB position should be an interesting competition this coming TC. Heck, maybe they both end up starting. One of them could end up beating Greenwood out.:)

First, another good signing. Kind of another under the radar signing that adds flexibility and depth to the roster. I like it!

I haven't watched Barber much, but from what I have read, he is better in coverage, while Clark is more of a run stopper, but not so good in coverage. I see a scenerio where Clark starts, and plays on run downs, while Barber comes in and plays in the nickel and dime package. Or might Barber even compete at Will, with Wong competing with Clark at Sam? Or is Wong a goner?

In any case, together, they should help us hold down the LB fort for a yr or so, and allow us to look elsewhere in the draft. They are bandaids, but pretty good ones I think. I wouldn't rule out a second day pick, but unless a big time value drops to us on the first day, I really think we don't look much at LB in April.

I don't think this is a signing that means LB isn't a focus anymore...Last year we brought in Wali Rainer, Sam Cowart, and we already had Greenwood, and Orr...

But if I'm not mistaken Meco was brought in to compete at Will originally...

We also wen't out and drafted a DE after we signed a DE...Which neither of whom are great on the weakside....

I don't think this is a signing that makes the need for a good young OLB obsolete...JMO.

First, another good signing. Kind of another under the radar signing that adds flexibility and depth to the roster. I like it!

I haven't watched Barber much, but from what I have read, he is better in coverage, while Clark is more of a run stopper, but not so good in coverage. I see a scenerio where Clark starts, and plays on run downs, while Barber comes in and plays in the nickel and dime package. Or might Barber even compete at Will, with Wong competing with Clark at Sam? Or is Wong a goner?

In any case, together, they should help us hold down the LB fort for a yr or so, and allow us to look elsewhere in the draft. They are bandaids, but pretty good ones I think. I wouldn't rule out a second day pick, but unless a big time value drops to us on the first day, I really think we don't look much at LB in April.

Agreed! I'm kind of on the fence with Wong. IIRC, someone had previously posted his cap situation being a wash this season. Meaning, he'd cost us the same (capwise) if cut. If that is the case and I'm not mistaking him for someone else, then we'd keep him for competition and/or depth. Then again we cut Moulds, which didn't help the cap.:shrug:

I don't get why football players somehow feel they are different than the common man. Guess what, if I slip on my way out the door tonight and break my back and can never work again, what do you think happens to me? I don't even have a one yr guarantee much less a long term deal. This guy needs to man up, and quit acting like some kind of spoiled school girl. His me first attitude stinks, and I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

How often do you get hurt at work? Compare that to how many times football players get hurt. And by the way, they do it because they can. 31 other teams would love to have Briggs at LB and give him a long deal, and it might only take a second round pick to get him.

I don't think this is a signing that means LB isn't a focus anymore...Last year we brought in Wali Rainer, Sam Cowart, and we already had Greenwood, and Orr...

But if I'm not mistaken Meco was brought in to compete at Will originally...

We also wen't out and drafted a DE after we signed a DE...Which neither of whom are great on the weakside....

I don't think this is a signing that makes the need for a good young OLB obsolete...JMO.

IMO, Demeco/Clark/Barber are better than Rainer/Cowart/Greenwood

Only Greenwood out of that latter bunch is worthy of playing for anything more than just "depth."

We now have three LBs that I'm comfortable with.

Anybody here who really felt this good about Rainer/Cowart/Greenwood during the offseason? I didn't. I was underwhelmed to say the least.

I like the two new additions to the LB group.

Good job, Rick Smith.

Texans | Barber deal not complete
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:26:15 -0700

Updating previous reports, John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Houston Texans have not yet completed a deal with LB Shawn Barber (Eagles). The two sides are actively working on a deal, but nothing has been officially finalized.

Texans | Team signs S. Barber
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:27:55 -0700

Chris McPherson, of PhiladelphiaEagles.com, reports the Houston Texans have signed LB Shawn Barber (Eagles). Details of the contract were not disclosed.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

IMO, Demeco/Clark/Barber are better than Rainer/Cowart/Greenwood

Only Greenwood out of that latter bunch is worthy of playing for anything more than just "depth."

We now have three LBs that I'm comfortable with.

Anybody here who really felt this good about Rainer/Cowart/Greenwood during the offseason? I didn't. I was underwhelmed to say the least.

I like the two new additions to the LB group.

Good job, Rick Smith.

I'm not disagreeing with you in your thought process...

I'm just saying that the Texans thought process is probably different...

If you think about last years draft the only position we picked where we hadn't signed a free agent was Tackle, and technically RB...

We brought in Rainer and Cowart...Drafted Meco rd. 2...

Biggest aquissition was Weaver....Drafted Mario #1 overall...

I don't think one year is enough of a sample to say it's their pattern, I'm just saying I don't see this as the type of signing that will deter us from drafting a LB, especially given what they did last year...

Updating previous reports, John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Houston Texans have not yet completed a deal with LB Shawn Barber (Eagles). The two sides are actively working on a deal, but nothing has been officially finalized.

well if he doesn indeed sign with us great...the more quality competition we have at both outside LB positions the better...personally i like the talent in this draft at LB and am kinda dissapointed that it appears LB will not be a draft need for us...i think guys like rufus alexander and earl everett who have had poor workouts are still going to light it up in the pros...but as long as the competition continues i can't complain

also with barber he brings another tutor for ryans...as good as this kid is he still needs the veteran guys to show him little things on film and on the field that he hasn't picked up on yet...each veteran guy will bring another piece to the puzzle that is demeco ryans

He's gonna start folks...mark it down.

No way that Merriweather falls to the third. You may as well put AP for our third round pick!! Just kidding, but he is a early second round pick, and there were a ton of people at his pro day, so we may not even get him in the second if there are too many people looking at Free Safety. There are a lot of SS's like Landry, Griffin etc, but only 2 or 3 quality FS's (Nelson, then Merriweather).

I figured as much. Seems like this is how these signings are going lately.

***edit***
I still think that it'll get done.

On Sirius NFL Radio, they announced about 30 minutes ago that we signed Barber....that's weird.

I think that it's a done deal, just seems like the Texans probably put the brakes on the story for some reason. It's still up on the Philly site.

So what will our starting LB's most likely by?

D. Clark
S. Barber
D. Ryans
M. Greenwood

who's our MLB....Ryans or Clark?
will demeco move outside?
will it be barber, demeco, greenwood?

what do yall think?

I think it will be....

SLB- Danny Clark, Shawn Barber
MLB- Demeco Ryans, Danny Clark
WLB- Morlon Greenwood

But it could be

SLB- Demeco Ryans, Shawn Barber
MLB- Danny Clark
WLB- Morlon Greenwood

I think it will be....

WLB- Morlon Greenwood

But it could be

MLB- Danny Clark
WLB- Morlon Greenwood

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's no way they move Meco to SLB...

I could understand WLB, but not SLB...

Demeco should stay at MLB.

I agree 100% BUT....Demeco would probably be just as effective anywhere he played and we would probably get the most out of the other guys if Clark was in the middle...regardless of that I want Demeco to stay in the middle as Clark is an upgrade over Orr

The phrase "if it aint broke" comes to mind. I mean seriously this guy doesnt miss a tackle. Why not position him in the spot where he's most likely to get as many chances as possible to make those tackles

I think it will be....

WLB- Morlon Greenwood

But it could be

MLB- Danny Clark
WLB- Morlon Greenwood

It will be:
SLB- Danny Clark, Shawn Barber (on passing downs)
MLB- Demeco Ryans
WLB- Morlon Greenwood

I was under the impression that due to Barber's speed and size he was a WLB not a SLB. So our linebackers would look something like this:

SLB - Orr, Clark
MLB - Ryans, Wong
WLB - Greenwood, Barber

with one of Evans, Polk, or Anderson re-signing as a special teamer.

It will be:
MLB- Demeco Ryans
WLB- Paul Posluszny

that's after we trade down a bit!! :victory:

It will be:
MLB- Demeco Ryans
WLB- Morlon Greenwood

This makes a lot of sense to me.

I actually like the look of this LB corps. Solid.

It is amazing what swapping out Orr for a couple of guys with specific roles/skills does for my confidence in the defence.

I'm not disagreeing with you in your thought process...

I'm just saying that the Texans thought process is probably different...

If you think about last years draft the only position we picked where we hadn't signed a free agent was Tackle, and technically RB...

We brought in Rainer and Cowart...Drafted Meco rd. 2...

Biggest aquissition was Weaver....Drafted Mario #1 overall...

I don't think one year is enough of a sample to say it's their pattern, I'm just saying I don't see this as the type of signing that will deter us from drafting a LB, especially given what they did last year...

We have to also understand the extremely short timeframe that Kubiak had to work with, and that Casserly was still the "GM" (cough, cough). It must have been like trying to cram for an entire year's worth of course subject in about two weeks' prep time for the big test (training camp)...while also having to put up with a lame duck GM at the same time.

Kubiak probably did the best HE could do with what he was given. I guess he did as good as he could with the LBers we were able to assemble last offseason...so I'll slack up a little because of Kubiak's transition period from the Broncos to the Texans.

Rick Smith didn't come onto the scene until much later, and I'm actually a little encouraged that he's been making some trades and some waiver wire acquisitions (Dayne) that have actually (GASP!) been paying off. Some of us wondered if Smith would be a real GM or just one "in title" only. I think it's becoming clear that Smith is doing his homework and is approaching the GM job with (a) Financial understanding in TODAY'S NFL climate, as well as (b) Grabbing players that fit the coach's system, a system that improved this team by four wins after a dismal 2-14 season a year ago.

DeMeco stays at MLB. They jacked around with Mario for the start of the season, then learned their lesson on re-arranging players. We should expect DeMeco to stay where he's at, IMO.

I like Ryans/Clark/Barber, the chemistry looks lethal to me. I like the other guys for depth purposes.

If we could pull off one more free agent acquisition (a productive/effectiveDB) I'd be happy going into the draft.

Our secondary worries me. Always has.

I apologize if this is a kind of dumb question, but what is the main difference in assignments in a weakside and strongside linebacker? Not even so much the main just what are the differences? My understanding is strongside are mostly your blitzing, non-coverage linebackers, but any other details would be appreciated.

If we could pull off one more free agent acquisition (a productive/effectiveDB) I'd be happy going into the draft.

sorry to digress, but who else is left in the FA DB wise. Has Hamlin signed anywhere yet?

I do like that we got some more depth becuase you never know what position that injury bug will bite this coming year.

Back