Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Sellout for Deshaun Watson

I see it already... people are distancing themselves from this pick so that if Watson fails, they can claim "See, told ya so"

OOooor people are just expressing their opinion on the pick.

:rolleyes: nobody here really wants the Texans to fail. Well I don't like to talk in absolutes so I'll say 99% of us don't want them to fail or hope their decisions fail, but we can still express our opinions on them.

OOooor people are just expressing their opinion on the pick.

:rolleyes: nobody here really wants the Texans to fail. Well I don't like to talk in absolutes so I'll say 99% of us don't want them to fail or hope their decisions fail, but we can still express our opinions on them.

yep! With T going 2 and M 10, I'm glad they got off the dime

I liked that Dabo Swinney interview. He said passing on Deshaun Watson would be like passing on Michael Jordan. I think the Bears and Chiefs will be looking back ten years from now with major regrets. The Browns as well! They needed a quarterback and had two chances to snag him.

I'm re-watching the Clemson versus Alabama National Championship Game right now on YouTube. Unbelievable performance against an NFL-caliber defense that was stacked. The kid was sensational beyond words. He was very poised inside the pocket (threw some great passes despite getting hit hard and pressured quite a bit). and he just willed Clemson to the National Championship with 420 passing yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs, and another 40+ rushing yards with a rushing TD.

But stats are stats. So he threw some INTs in some games... He learned from it. The guy was fearless in those big-pressure moments. So his combine numbers (passing velocity) wasn't his best...

I mean really? How silly is it to judge him based on a combine sheet? I'm referring to that post by CloakNdagger showing his passing velocity at the combine.

You know what, Tom Brady had a worse combine in 2000 that people actually laughed at. He displayed horrible arm strength, a terrible 40-time dash and he failed miserably in a lot of the drills. And he was a 6th round pick. While JaMarcus Russell dominated his 2007 combine and threw the best velocity pass. People to this day still say Russell had the best combine performance of any quarterback in the history of the game. Where did that get him?

All of Deshaun Watson's critics can't evaluate his heart and willpower. They don't know how to look beyond the numbers. Look at his toughness. Look at his ability to lift a team on his back.

I just hope you guys that are dogging him and dislike the pick are here to eat your big plate of crow if he turns out to be an exciting All Pro quarterback for the Houston Texans. We may have finally landed a franchise quarterback and I'm excited about it.

Deshaun Watson will find a way to flourish in the pros.
He's smart and a real leader. The intangibles are there.

That looks about right.
He does have a quick release.
And 53.5 is more in line with what I saw rather than the 49 reported by Ourlad.
I've been tossed up on Watson between the 4th and 5th slot.
I had Trubisky 1, Mahomes 2, Kizer 3, with Watson and Beathard following.
It's more of a toss up between 3-4-5 for me.
They are 3 very different QBs, each with his own plus and minus.
I'm going back and rewatch some game films.

I don't see the VY comparison, unless you are seeing that both are black, wore a shade of orange in college and won the NC coming into the draft. VY was winning games with his legs. You take his legs away he would have been way below average. We saw that in the NFL once teams started adjusting to him. He also had the knock of not being coachable and not able to read defenses. He also felt entitled and just needed to show up and "be Vince".

I'll admit, I'm no Watson expert however when I did watch him play I didn't see anything that reminded me of VY.

Who does remind me of VY is Lamar Jackson in Louisville. He looks a lot like Vince Young, both tall and fast. However I think he can be better. Besides having legs like VY, Jackson has a better arm, can read defenses and can shred defenses through the air. It'll be interesting to see how his game translates to the NFL. Honestly, I would more excited to have him over Watson. However that said, Watson did beat him head to head.

Here's disputing his velocity concerns:

The "velocity" stat has only been used for a few years and there is not nearly enough evidence to tell us a thing other than the miles per hour a quarterback’s throw is traveling. Ten years from now there may be some evidence, but today there is nothing. In fact when I asked some GMs and coaches around the league that I know about the stat they all agreed it was meaningless at this time as far as predicting anything. Again, not enough data.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...or-of-how-good-he-will-be-in-the-nfl/a93ef5p/

That "writer" needs an editor .... worst use of the English language I've seen by someone I assume is getting paid for "writing".

I made the same criticism when I first discovered Pat Starr. With him, you have to accept that the writing is technically bad, but the substance is top notch. If you're on Twitter, his account is a must-follow for Texans fans.

I don't see the VY comparison, unless you are seeing that both are black, wore a shade of orange in college and won the NC coming into the draft. VY was winning games with his legs. You take his legs away he would have been way below average. We saw that in the NFL once teams started adjusting to him. He also had the knock of not being coachable and not able to read defenses. He also felt entitled and just needed to show up and "be Vince".

I'll admit, I'm no Watson expert however when I did watch him play I didn't see anything that reminded me of VY.

Who does remind me of VY is Lamar Jackson in Louisville. He looks a lot like Vince Young, both tall and fast. However I think he can be better. Besides having legs like VY, Jackson has a better arm, can read defenses and can shred defenses through the air. It'll be interesting to see how his game translates to the NFL. Honestly, I would more excited to have him over Watson. However that said, Watson did beat him head to head.

I know man.. all these comparisons to VY, Tyrod Taylor, RG III.. everybody's got it wrong.. He's the second coming of Willie Beamen.

With a black QB, it always seems there are comparisons to other black QBs, only. WTF is up with that?

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Geno Atkins, Joe Gilliam, Kordell Stewart and Randall Cunningham.

Ridiculous.

Back