Sellout for Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by amazing80, Mar 6, 2017.

1. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

I think it's time for us to make a big move and go up and grab the best. I am tired of watching us draft project QBs and bring in trash free agents. Sell the farm and move up for Watson, let him start from day 1. I want a bonafide star and proven winner. He brings athleticism we've never had at the position and his accuracy will flourish in this dink and dunk system.

Sign a couple free agents on the oline and let this kid command our offense.

FirstTexansFan and cbs1507 like this.
  2. bigmck

bigmck Veteran

We did that last year..............

KA4Texan and DocBar like this.
  3. amazing80

No we brought in a high priced free agent. Like we always do.

4. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

<looking back through Texans history for all those high priced free agent signings at QB...>

DocBar, Hervoyel and JB like this.
  5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

How do we fix the OL when we "sell the farm" for a QB? Or are we going to repeat the same mistake again?

6. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I wouldn't sell the farm, but a trade up to the mid-teens could be a possibility. I think we could be in a position to address both OL and QB. If we don't re-sign Aboushi, after cutting Bergstrom and Clark we save $5.5M. Assuming we don't re-sign Bouye and even after extending Hopkins, we could have enough to afford some of the better FA OL. A combination of Ricky Wagner and TJ Lang is possible financially, even if we don't save anything on Newton's contract this year. There are a few top level guards available that could help us out. We wouldn't have alot of money left over for other FAs, but signing several top level FA OL would allow us not feel compelled to take an OL early in this draft. I'd be in favor of trading up if we found ourselves having accomplished that in FA.

7. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Hopefully our first couple of picks are top notch O line players. Then just maybe get lucky and find a good SS in the third. Best hope is that we can find a steal at QB in the fourth. Maybe Kelly will still be there. If we can sneak him past McNair.

:coffee:

ObsiWan, steelbtexan and Hervoyel like this.
  8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    Did you also want VY in '06?

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Agreed, I can't see us trading up into the top 10. Though I'd applaud the Texans if they were to do so. But trading into the 10~20 range...

Disclaimer, I haven't even begun to look into these QBs, so I don't know that any of them are/aren't worth a top half slot... I'm just saying.

10. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

If you are asking me the answer is no. Look it up.

If so, what's your point. I see absolutely no comparison there.

:coffee:

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    No I was asking the OP. I think selling the farm is a bad idea. Too Cleveland like to pin all your hopes on a QB that looked good because his team did well. I don't know much about Watson, but did he improve every year? His stats are scary. Can he be great on a mediocre team?

12. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

And that's why I wouldn't sell the farm ala Saints for Ricky Williams. I don't see a point in bringing in a guy to get him killed.
    I'm not sure what K.J. Dillon brings to the table but again it feels like we're always trying to find a Safety and a QB.
    Another thing I don't get, I think our backups are fairly decent (for the most part) but they're terrible on STs.
    I'm off topic; my bad.

Texansphan likes this.
  13. Texansphan

Texansphan All Pro

I haven't looked at film on all of them but Kizer, Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes and Peterman all look like they could be better than Savage.
    It's still a crap shoot on if any could be ready to start day 1 in a complicated system though.
    The first four are worth day one status and in a qb hungry league the four could all go in the first round although with so much talent on D, there could easily be a few talented O guys slide down a bit in the first 32.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

If nothing else, I think O'b has proven that he can win without a QB.

If he can ever find one that can build on what he learned week after week, it should be scary for the rest of the league.

macho grande and dream_team like this.
  15. watt99x99

watt99x99 Rookie

if we can only give up this yr's draft picks to get decent qb. rather do that than hope one of our dudes work out.

16. Texansphan

Texansphan All Pro

Which is
    Which is why a competent vet is coveted and hard to come by - even if you have to give up a top pick or two to get one.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I enjoyed watching Watson play college ball but not convinced he or any other of this crop can translate to NFL. He took a beating in 2016 and his 17 INTs and 17 sacks are worrisome.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

I think that'd be a huge mistake. Not a fan of him at all.

steelbtexan likes this.
  19. amazing80

lol no. I will admit though, I did like me some Reggie Bush and still think to this day he would have excelled in our ZBS one cut and go. Of course, he would have needed coaching to learn to hit the hole and burst through it, but his athleticism and ability to make people miss would have been great under Gary and co.

I am not a UT fanboy and don't live in Texas, so VY was never my thing.

disaacks3, JB and PapaL like this.
  20. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Ricky Wagner should be our number one priority in FA unless we have a real shot at a quality starting QB. Second should be Leary (dallas OG).

ObsiWan, jradMIT and Hottoddie like this.