Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub might earn nod as Pro Bowler

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
John McClain weighs in:

Texans QB might earn nod as Pro Bowler

The Texans are 1-2 — one game worse than most predicted they would be after three games — and there are fans who believe quarterback Matt Schaub is to blame for the disappointing start.

The defense is the worst in the NFL. The run defense is the worst in the league. And yet this week there have been fans firing off e-mails to chron.com and calling local talk shows complaining about Schaub.

Schaub, 28, got off to a bad start in the opening loss to the Jets when he played despite a sprained ankle.

He rebounded by pulling out a victory at Tennessee. He put the Texans on the doorstep two times on the last drive against Jacksonville, but his teammates failed to produce.
Capable in pocket

“He's been playing well,” tight end Owen Daniels said. “When we're playing well around him, protect him and keep him off the ground, he can pick apart a defense.

“Matt's a great decision-maker. He studies the game. He knows our game plan in and out. He goes through reads really well. He doesn't make bad decisions. As long as he's comfortable back there, he can do anything.”

Schaub has seven touchdown passes in the past two games.

He would have had an eighth but a penalty wiped it out in the loss to Jacksonville. After that penalty, Schaub put them at the Jaguars' 2, but Chris Brown's fumble into the end zone ruined the drive.

Schaub is 69-of-107 (64.5 percent) for 823 yards. He has seven touchdowns and two interceptions. He's been sacked four times, including two that were his fault.
Team's praise

If Schaub stays healthy and continues to avoid turnovers, he's got a chance to make his first Pro Bowl, according to many of his teammates.

“We're doing a much better job of protecting the ball,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “I think the key to him being a great player is how well he protects the ball.

“I think he's done a better job through the first three weeks of this season, and if he continues to do that, he's got a chance to be one of the top quarterbacks in the league.”

Schaub's seven touchdown passes are tied with Peyton Manning for second behind Brees' nine.

Schaub's third-down rating of 102.5 is fifth. He's helped the Texans tie for seventh in red-zone touchdowns and tie for ninth in red-zone scoring.

“I believe I have that ability,” Schaub said about playing well enough to make his first Pro Bowl. “We've had a lot of guys making plays. It means we're moving the ball well.

“With the weapons we have on this team and the way this offense operates, the sky's the limit as far as what we can accomplish.”

He has been playing better after the first week. However, a pro-bowl selection still seems like a bit if a stretch to me.

time will tell, now if only the run game would come around so he doesn't keep taking hits

It's entirely too early and Schaub needs to play 16 games to even be mentioned.

His stats for the first 3 games are definitely noteworthy (Jets game notwithstanding). I still don't know if he's the guy for the longterm but this season has been drastically better in comparison to the first 3 games of last season.

I'd rather have a playoff QB than a pro bowl QB if we get to choose. Stats dont mean much if we have another mediocre season. The whole team needs to step up and win games, that includes Schaub...

If Schaub stays healthy there is no doubt he is a pro-bowler...ive always said since the beggining that if schaub can stay healthy he is the top 5 quarterback in the nfl

The only way that McClain could jinx Schaub any harder is to put together a homage song called Big Bad Schaub even before he finishes his first season.

Oh wait, he already did that.

:voodoo::voodoo::voodoo:

The only way that McClain could jinx Schaub any harder is to put together a homage song called Big Bad Schaub even before he finishes his first season.

Oh wait, he already did that.

:voodoo::voodoo::voodoo:

good lord that song was an abomination. almost worse than hearing him wheezing into the microphone whenever he's on the radio..

We need to turn this thread into a non-Schaub jinx thread. I mean as bad as the team looks with the catastrophic defense, it could get way worse if the offense imploded too. Here's my contribution:

rabbit.jpg

good lord that song was an abomination. almost worse than hearing him wheezing into the microphone whenever he's on the radio..

You are so right. Everytime I hear him on the radio wheezing like that I think to myself, "Did he just run a marathon, or closeout an all-you-can-eat buffet?"

I kinda liked the Big Bad Schaub video. Makes me laugh. Then again... I can't exactly hear the song but the video looked fun!

However, a pro-bowl selection still seems like a bit if a stretch to me.

Extrapolation is fun.

Over the last three games, Schaub is averaging a little over 274 yards per game and 2.33 TDs. In the 11 games Sschaub played in last season, he averaged a little over 276 yards per game. I'd say that's consistent. A 4000 yard season is 250 per game.

If Schaub puts up 3800+ yards and 25 TDs, he'll make the Pro Bowl. I don't see any reason to think that can't happen. In fact, I think those numbers are probable, health permitting.

Anyone thinking Schaub is a problem on this team is way, way out there. Like Pluto.

McClain is a strange dude.

John McClain said:
Anna Megan Raley!!!

Schaub has been playing well, except for the Jets game of course. If he continues on the pace has been on the past two games, a Pro Bowl selection would be warranted IMO.

At this point, probably as valid as the 3-1 Texans prediction. ProBowl looks for consistency.......and is skewed to players on decent teams........so far, both are in question.

I came across this analysis of the 2009 QB Pro Bowl selections, that seems to do a good job of putting this process in perspective.

LINK

McClain is a strange dude.

Schaub has been playing well, except for the Jets game of course. If he continues on the pace has been on the past two games, a Pro Bowl selection would be warranted IMO.

I held the Jets game against Schaub until I saw Brady look twice as inept vs. the same defense. The Jets have the league figured out at the moment, which makes Brees vs. NYJ def even more intriguing this weekend.

If Schaub puts up 3800+ yards and 25 TDs, he'll make the Pro Bowl. I don't see any reason to think that can't happen. In fact, I think those numbers are probable, health permitting.

though he may be an asshat, phil rivers had over 4000 yds & 34 tds (11 ints) last season & didnt make the probowl. nothing is garunteed

Anyone thinking Schaub is a problem on this team is way, way out there. Like Pluto.

On top of watching that abomination of a D we put on the field last week I had to suffer with a jackhole two rows behind me shouting the entire game at or about Schaub and as he got more lubricated it became virtually a constant stream in the 2nd half. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Extrapolation is fun.

Over the last three games, Schaub is averaging a little over 274 yards per game and 2.33 TDs. In the 11 games Sschaub played in last season, he averaged a little over 276 yards per game. I'd say that's consistent. A 4000 yard season is 250 per game.

I'll give you three reasons he won't make the Pro Bowl.

1. Only 3 QBs make it. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, and (this year's media darling) Mark Sanchez are jockeying for those 3 Pro Bowl spots (if Cincy keeps winning, add Carlson Palmer to the mix too). All have past reputation and/or media adoration going for them. Which one of them do you think Schaub will replace?

2. Schaub has to stay healthy for 16 games to put up the numbers you're projecting. History says that won't happen. And for the record, I hope like hell I'm wrong about this one.

3. In order to leapfrog one of the chosen ones I listed in #1, the Texans will have to make the playoffs and it will have to be because of Schaub's leadership. Matt has shown that, given time, he can pick apart the defenses of our opponents. Unfortunately, he can't always overcome the ineptness that our own defense has shown so far. Unless our defense starts to gell and shut some people down, the playoffs are a pipedream. And Schaub will be a "good QB" on a bad team. Guys in that category don't get Pro Bowl selections.

does this counteract the jinx?

Last edited:
Have I found another outlet for my Sad Schaubs? Let's find out.

Matt, what do you think of people who continue to doubt your abilities?

schaubfaceEDIT2.jpg
I like this caption better:
"Matt, what do you think of the performance of your defensive teammates so far this year?"

schaubfaceEDIT2.jpg

"Matt tell me how you felt hearing the crowd call for Sage during the Miami game last season"

Have I found another outlet for my Sad Schaubs? Let's find out.

Matt, what do you think of people who continue to doubt your abilities?

schaubfaceEDIT2.jpg

Also, where the hell did you find this, it's freaking outstanding and I pretty much will use this all over the internet.

Also, where the hell did you find this, it's freaking outstanding and I pretty much will use this all over the internet.
nfl_i_schaub_480.jpg

I googled "Matt Schaub" for images and found this...

this looks like it could have been taken during the Jets game; thus explaining Matt's expression
you could really have fun captioning this one

nfl_i_schaub_480.jpg

I googled "Matt Schaub" for images and found this...

this looks like it could have been taken during the Jets game; thus explaining Matt's expression
you could really have fun captioning this one
he looks like the greatest Muppet of all time, Beaker
1183257558_3390fcc71d.jpg

Where's the Sage for pres club?!

Kidding.

Can't totally blame Schaub performance against the Jets on him. Pro Bowl? I dunno. Let's wait and see.

Back