Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

RUMOR: Trading Down for Peterson

Anyone remember what the Oilers gave up to acquire the #1 in 1978 to get the rights to Earl?

Jimmy Giles, 1st and 2nd picks of '78, and their third in 79.

They traded with the Buccaneers who had drafted a running back with their #1 pick the previous year.

But the Browns have the cap space to put players around him.

True, but there is still no guarantees that Carr's play will improve.

In '04, the Browns were the worse team in the NFL-every player around Carr was better than Cleveland had--too, we had the incentive of not having a losing season...so, we lay one of the 'biggest eggs' in NFL history.

The Browns looked line SB contenders, as they added 6 sacks to their league low 20+ sacks...

JMO, but it depends upon whether or not you feel 'lucky'...

I have heard many Carr trade scenarios but one I have not heard is Carr to Oakland for Jerry Porter. I know Porter was out of favor with the previous regime last year but I don't know where he stands with the new staff.

I think this would do a couple of things for us:
1. Give us a strong #2 receiver to pair with AJ
2. Better the chances for AP to fall to #8 in the draft. With Carr, the Raiders could go Johnson with the 1st pick, Detroit takes Thomas and that leaves the Browns with Russell if they really want a franchise QB. After that, barring a trade AP could realistically fall to 8. This is not a definite but IMO it really increases the odds that he could get to us

I am not a cap expert so I don't know if the $$ make sense because I know Porter signed a big FA deal a year or two ago but from a player fit stand point I think this makes sense and if the Raiders are still down on Porter this is something they may be interested in doing.

Who would our QB be in this scenerio? I would make that trade though.

Still a lot of talk about Plummer coming here but I wouldn't mind giving Sage a chance. My thought is if Carr is gone like everyone is forecasting why not make the most of it.

Although Porter is upset, Oakland and Green Bay are talking about a Moss trade. So Porter may be around for a couple more seasons.

I still think that the best place for Moss would be the Pats. He would finally be on a winning team, Brady would finally have a legit WR, and they can afford to give up a first or second for him.

Browns trade for Carr? Why would they do this? Carr has played some of his worse football against them- 6 sacks in '04 and 86 yds in '06.

Too, the Browns have less to surround Carr with than we do and everyone knows David can not-if at all-improve his play unless his team mates are all-pro.

Who cares what they want to do. Don't question a good thing.

What source are you quoting showing ticket sales are down? Or is this just your opinion? In one of the threads I reviewed yesterday, another poster quoted a source for the Texans saying tickets sales were ok and a waiting list remains.
I do not claim to have any official info,nor have I seen any media report(s) to indicate anything about ticket sales, one way or the other. But I have some
personal info that would suggest ticket interest for this Fall is waning.
For example my wife's nephew, a small business man in Houston, has been a season ticket holder since the teams inception but he's getting out this year.
He had 4 seats, but often gave them to business assoicates or friends instead of going to the game with his own family. He says he can't find enough interest among family and friends to renew the tickets.
Guess thats under the heading of anecdotal type evidence, but sometimes that's the best kind.

Porter isent ready to be a backup and I think you guys will realize why sage is a backup qb once he becomes a starter

I agree that Sage was just a backup, but I am starting to realize we won't really know what he is capable of doing if we don't play him.

I would really like Carr to turn it around this season, but if they are going to trade him, why are we going to spend more money on another expensive qb?

I do not like Plummer nor any of the quarterbacks that are available this year. I honestly wish we can trade up to the 1st pick to get Joe Thomas. Peterson would be nice, but if we fix the O-line first, everything would start to fall into place.

If we are trading Carr, I would trade Carr, the 8th spot, and a third round for Oakland's first just so I could take Joe Thomas.

And when is Porter going to be ready anyway? He's a backup regardless and if not him, at least we have Van Pelt.

Yes, that would be tight. If Carr is traded, maybe we can pick up Plummer. I dont want to start a quarterback debate, I am just saying that Plummer would be a possibility. Getting AP would be awsome.

I caught this on the CBS rumor mill for the Texans:

RB Adrian Peterson appears to be the Cleveland Browns favorite pick at No. 3 should they stay put. But, according to the Dayton Daily News, the Texans are interested in moving up the draft board for a shot at Peterson and could propose a trade to the Browns that would send starting QB David Carr and draft picks to Cleveland for the No. 3 position.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

Ok...so assuming that this were true, and assuming it were a reasonable deal, and since we released Moulds, here's my question:

If we were going to pick at #3, would you want Adrian Peterson, or Calvin Johnson? I'd personally love to have Johnson, but it would be hard to go wrong with either one, right?

I caught this on the CBS rumor mill for the Texans:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

Ok...so assuming that this were true, and assuming it were a reasonable deal, and since we released Moulds, here's my question:

If we were going to pick at #3, would you want Adrian Peterson, or Calvin Johnson? I'd personally love to have Johnson, but it would be hard to go wrong with either one, right?

Calvin Johnson's closer to a SURE thing than Adrian Peterson, strictly because of the injury concerns with Peterson. Either pick would make my day!

Both players are awesome but you have to take CJ.

With so many people saying kubiak doesn't draft RB's in the 1st round (that whole arguement) why would he trade up for one when we're rebuilding our team and our offense and defense lines has 2 starters that are healthy...combined!

Take CJ but hope we don't do this. Maybe JR drops to CLE or Thomas does and Peterson falls to us!

Both players are awesome but you have to take CJ.

With so many people saying kubiak doesn't draft RB's in the 1st round (that whole arguement) why would he trade up for one when we're rebuilding our team and our offense and defense lines has 2 starters that are healthy...combined!

Because he tried to last year?

Because he tried to last year?

oh i know he did. i'm not the one saying he won't draft one. there are litterally millions and millions (sarcasm) of posters on here that will die before they will admit kubes would take one.

I was just looking for those posters that say kubiak won't ever trade up...but i havn't seen any lately.

I'll reiterate though, if petersons at 8 take him. i think we have way too many holes to be trading up.

Get rid of Carr and a few draft picks,...draft peterson. lots of people want kolb in the 2nd. then we won't have draft picks probably till 6 or 7.

we will not have addressed d-line, o-line, or secondary at all in the draft. FA is looking bad with steinbech rumored to CLE, bly already to denver, and clements too expensive.

I do not want to go into next season with the exact same secondary, d-line, and o-line.

Come back in 5 years and say that. Ten bucks says either VY or RB are no longer in the league at that time. Just a hunch.

VY will still be a force, RB on the other hand may be on the downside of his career, it depends how much abuse he takes.

FA is looking bad with steinbech rumored to CLE, bly already to denver, and clements too expensive.

Well I'm pretty sure that there are more than 3 free agents available this offseason. Just because they aren't big names, doesn't mean that they aren't solid players. We aren't going to get first tier players because we aren't a first tier team and we don't have dump trucks with cash ready to spend, but we will get some good players who will help this team.

I really just don't see us trading up for Peterson. I really dont think it will happen and here's why. Spencer is injured, mckinney is our c, winston is our rt and needs to improve more, maddox is our only decent DT, weaver has undergone surgery, mario played all last season injured but should be healthy, we have no true FS, and we don't have a true #2 cb. now with the cutting of moulds, add to it walter is our #2 receiver?

i know rb isn't looking that great for us but if we're truly trying to rebuild this franchise this trade will never happen. You don't trade away the majority of your draft picks or high draft picks for several years when you have this many holes on our team. we need something like 11 new starters on both offense and defense and you don't give away stuff so you can have an often injured RB play for you're team for 5-6 years.

Well I'm pretty sure that there are more than 3 free agents available this offseason. Just because they aren't big names, doesn't mean that they aren't solid players. We aren't going to get first tier players because we aren't a first tier team and we don't have dump trucks with cash ready to spend, but we will get some good players who will help this team.

i just said those because those are the only players everyone around here would come back with. we aren't going to sign those guys.

i know we're not going to get the top tier players and don't want them. i'm big against trying to go after clements because we dont have that much cash and we have too many other holes to fill. we need to get as many quality fa's as we can...not go after those few.

but who's out there? who would you target? for CB, FS, DT, LB, OL, OL, RB???

Let’s see, we've cut a starting DT, our # 2 WR, and DW (formerly DD) is still on the roster. If this is not a clue that we are going after DL, WR, OL, and DB in the draft, I don't know what is. We have until midnight before free agency begins, wouldn't DW be gone if we were not going to keep him? Unless a better trade opportunity arises, I see us keeping Carr and the # 8 pick. D-line, WR, O-line, and DBs are very deep in this draft, last time I checked those are the positions we need the most.

Jimmy Giles, 1st and 2nd picks of '78, and their third in 79.

They traded with the Buccaneers who had drafted a running back with their #1 pick the previous year.

And Tampa Bays Pick with the 17 ? Doug Williams. I believe there were more players than just Jimmy Giles invovled. But I can't prove it. Giles the only one who did anything.

I do not claim to have any official info,nor have I seen any media report(s) to indicate anything about ticket sales, one way or the other. But I have some
personal info that would suggest ticket interest for this Fall is waning.
For example my wife's nephew, a small business man in Houston, has been a season ticket holder since the teams inception but he's getting out this year.
He had 4 seats, but often gave them to business assoicates or friends instead of going to the game with his own family. He says he can't find enough interest among family and friends to renew the tickets.
Guess thats under the heading of anecdotal type evidence, but sometimes that's the best kind.

Hmm yes let's see. We're in a market of 4.5 million or so with only 70k seats for eight available dates. Yes Bob is going to be hurting real soon. Look McNair doesn't care that so and so is not re newing. But a guy like Bob who's used to winning and getting what he wants...he'll get this thing turned around. He strikes me as a guy who does what it takes. You had to expect a little learning curve when he came in. He just trusted the wrong people at the start. And those wrong people made some very bad decidsions. It's going to take a little while. Looks to me they made a fair start yesterday. And just for the record....The only way you take Calvin Johnson is if you already have a deal in place for A.J. And I'm talking about a block buster deal. They're not going to do that. Wr is not the problem. CJ's going to be a bear to defend that's for sure.

i know rb isn't looking that great for us but if we're truly trying to rebuild this franchise this trade will never happen. You don't trade away the majority of your draft picks or high draft picks for several years when you have this many holes on our team. we need something like 11 new starters on both offense and defense and you don't give away stuff so you can have an often injured RB play for you're team for 5-6 years.

Saying that Peterson is often injured and implying that it will translate to him being often injured in the NFL is like saying that if you have a cold one year and the flu the next year, that you are often sick.

Peterson had a high ankle sprain his sophomore year (a non-recurring fairly common injury), and a broken collar bone after jumping into the end zone his junior year (again a non-recurring injury). He did not tear his ACL or MCL, he did not break his leg, he did not tear his achilles tendon, he did not injure his back, and he did not injure his neck. If he had any of those injuries then I would have some concerns, but he didn't. He sprained his ankle and broke a collar bone. Neither of those injuries will affect his performance in the NFL, and he will be dominant.

Bob McNair's the kind of guy if he takes out a loan and then his company fails, he's still going to do everything he can to repay that loan. (not that that's a problem!) He is a man of principle and high character. He does what it takes to get the job done Right.

While each year is very important...it's the big picture that the CEO if very worried about. He's going to do what he has to day to day, year by year, to get to that picture. I think he's going to make the tough decisions to get this team around (ie cutting key players, personell, building up the lines)

I see the AFC south division title, AFC championship trophy, and Superbowl Trophy all in McNairs future plans all while having a high quality/character, respected franchise. Go texans!

So I went over to the Brown's site just to see what they are saying about AP or Joe T and they have a thread saying that yesterday on one channel 3 wkcy there reporter is saying the Browns are talking to the Texans about Carr for there #3 pick.

When did the Browns become a player and where have I been?

Back