Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rosenfels: Anyone impressed?

S

SESupergenius

Rosenfels was given the spotlight in a situation that was not mop up time nor was it against pre-season scrubs. Does anyone think he did well? I saw a QB that looked rattled and it really exposed our offensive line. People keep seeing that Carr throws nothing but quick 3 step-drop passes and dump passes, well guess what, that's mostly what this offensive line is giving him. Insert Sage and he thinks he's got all this time to look for receivers and gets nailed accordingly. At least Carr has some scramble ability and can throw on the run. Sage just isn't quick enough and puts too much trust in the offensive line. Although he did hold on to the ball when he got nailed, give him Kudos for that.

Rosenfels did his job, much like Carr did so in the first quarter. He came in did not have a turnover. Moreover, he did not have the luxury of working on a short field off of turnovers that Carr had on the previous three. We did well with the play that we got from both QB's as their job was different given the time, score and situation.

Salaam gave up a sack on Rosenfels on what I think was a three step drop. The guy beat him so badly to the inside and was there so fast that I don't think any QB could have done anything about it.

Sage did what a good backup should: not lose the game. He didn't play great, but he didn't lose the game either. I'm fine with his performance.

I think this should quiet the "start Sage" crowd for a little while. He wasn't all that special, but at least he didn't make any mistakes that cost us the game.

You can't tell me he played well, I was on the edge of my seat hoping that Rosenfels was going to the calm cool guy he's looked like in relaxed situations all through his tenure here. Then he get's nailed for a sack because he took too long to find open receivers on the very first passing play. He had a whole quarter to score and most looked intimidated and and sheepish. Carr led his team from all the way from his own side of the field in his very first drive, Sage didn't. Rosefels by far didn't get the job done, the defense did.

Salaam gave up a sack on Rosenfels on what I think was a three step drop. The guy beat him so badly to the inside and was there so fast that I don't think any QB could have done anything about it.

What happend to the "pocket" awareness that he's so coveted about?

second both Kaiser Torro & Runner :respect:

Sage is a key contributer for the Texans, one he provides key minutes in support of Carr, two is a good teammate, three allows the Texans to carry only two QB's freeing up a roster spot for someone else. The difference for Rosenfels was the conservative playcalling, late with the game on the line & the Jags we're throwing everything including the kitchen sink to disrupt his rhythem and force a turnover :cowboy1:

Rosenfels was given the spotlight in a situation that was not mop up time nor was it against pre-season scrubs. Does anyone think he did well? I saw a QB that looked rattled and it really exposed our offensive line. People keep seeing that Carr throws nothing but quick 3 step-drop passes and dump passes, well guess what, that's mostly what this offensive line is giving him. Insert Sage and he thinks he's got all this time to look for receivers and gets nailed accordingly. At least Carr has some scramble ability and can throw on the run. Sage just isn't quick enough and puts too much trust in the offensive line. Although he did hold on to the ball when he got nailed, give him Kudos for that.

Sage can move with the ball. That is why he was hired. He doesn't move as well as DC does, but there are few in the league that do.

To be fair to Rosenfels, it is hard to come into a game cold, against one of the best defenses in the league with a nicked up offensive line in front of you.

I am sure he would look better with more practice snaps and a game plan tailored to his strengths.

All that being said, as it relates to quarterbacks, I trust Kubiak to make the right decisions.

Honestly, when he came into the game, I was expecting automatic touchdown passes.
:play:

Also, I was praying for him not to throw an interception.:francis:

second both Kaiser Torro & Runner :respect:

Sage is a key contributer for the Texans, one he provides key minutes in support of Carr, two is a good teammate, three allows the Texans to carry only two QB's freeing up a roster spot for someone else. The difference for Rosenfels was the conservative playcalling, late with the game on the line & the Jags we're throwing everything including the kitchen sink to disrupt his rhythem and force a turnover :cowboy1:

Sometimes you just have to deal with what you are getting. This is what Rosenfels said about this subject:

“We just talked about situations. The momentum was starting to swing their way a little bit. We might have to take a shot. We actually called a play to throw it deep to Andre (Johnson), but I ended up not getting the protection that I needed to throw it to Andre. Basically the way the situation was, we knew we had to obviously milk the clock as much as we could and get first downs. We might have taken a shot here or there to keep them off-balance.”

Link

What happend to the "pocket" awareness that he's so coveted about?

That was one play and I was just pointing out that Salaam was so bad no one - neither Sage "Pocket Awareness" Rosenfels nor David "Runs Very Fast" Carr -would have avoided the sack.

I am amazes that people are turning this into a Sage vs Carr thing again. Both played their part in a win and both should expect Carr to start if he is good to go.

That was one play and I was just pointing out that Salaam was so bad no one - neither Sage "Pocket Awareness" Rosenfels nor David "Runs Very Fast" Carr -would have avoided the sack.

I agree, by the time Sage took three steps, the defender was already about to tackle him. Sage had zero chance of throwing the ball.

I also give him props for not dropping the ball though.

Please for all that is holy, there is NO comparison with Carr and Sage, Sage does not have half the talent.

BUT! He came in did his job and held on to the win for us, good job Sage. He scared me on the 3 and I forget, he almost through a pick or a ball that got batted, scared me a little.

Carr payed a good game yesterday.

I have noticed this board is rather slow when Carr has a good game................I think it is kind of funny and interesting!:shades:

This bugged me a little, he did great but let other people praise you Dunta, you dont have to do it..............It is not terrible but I personally never liked to talk about my self after a ball game
We needed to make a big play, and like a lot of people say, big-time players make big-time plays in big-time games. And I had to step up and make a play, and that’s what I did.”

I have noticed this board is rather slow when Carr has a good game................I think it is kind of funny and interesting!:shades:

Take your blinders off and read and you will find Carr adulation for a number of plays. There is plenty to dog Carr on and posts such as yours will in no doubt incite a careful evaluation for his three quarters of play. I do not need to as the Texans got a win.

Sorry the euphoria for a team win is trumping the need for Carr lovers to have virtual rose petals thrown at their avatars for his "unbelievable" performance.

Just as Sage got too much of the credit for the late play against the Titans, he's getting too much blame now.

It wasn't Sage that allowed Spicer to come in on the blindside for the sack.
It wasn't Sage that called for the HB pass on 3rd & 4.
It wasn't Sage that blew the call and the challenge on Daniels' reception & fumble.
It wasn't Sage that was called for holding, forcing a 2nd & 20 from their own 16.

I know what you're saying here SES, but you aren't going to be able to convince some people who believe that it's all about the QB. Even though I'm completely in agreement with Kubiak that Carr is the starter, I'm glad Sage is on the team. It's funny that I don't hear the complaining about Rosenfel's contract that was rampant on the board when he signed back in March.

Take your blinders off and read and you will find Carr adulation for a number of plays. There is plenty to dog Carr on and posts such as yours will in no doubt incite a careful evaluation for his three quarters of play. I do not need to as the Texans got a win.

Sorry the euphoria for a team win is trumping the need for Carr lovers to have virtual rose petals thrown at their avatars for his "unbelievable" performance.

Cute and wordy............

Please for all that is holy, there is NO comparison with Carr and Sage, Sage does not have half the talent.

BUT! He came in did his job and held on to the win for us, good job Sage. He scared me on the 3 and I forget, he almost through a pick or a ball that got batted, scared me a little.

Carr payed a good game yesterday.

This bugged me a little, he did great but let other people praise you Dunta, you don't have to do it..............It is not terrible but I personally never liked to talk about my self after a ball game

We won the game, right? That's (duh) what most posters want, even those that criticize the team for 'less than' spectacular play. Before you Carr:homer: 's go overboard--especially the ones who taut Carr's stats every day, you may want to just enjoy the win and not get a 'sleeping dog' stirred up.

Carr's play was 'what' it was yesterday--'gutsy' play when needed and no give aways....and, most important, a win--that, my friend, is what it is all 'about.'......:cowboy1:

I will give Sage a "Save" for this appearance. Nothing more, but nothing less. He is a sound backup, but there is no way I want to go into a new season with him as my starting QB. Does that mean I want Carr starting for us in 2007 instead? Not necessarily.

I have been content with Carr's performance and progress in 7 of our 9 games. However, he definitely regressed in the Dallas and Tennessee games. His mistakes seem to come in bundles (1st half against Tennessee and 3rd quarter against Dallas). He needs to learn to rebound from those errors and move on. Hopefully after he comes back from his injury, he can build upon his two solid efforts and learn to finish drives.

Oh and can someone put a locator out on Gary Anderson?

If that's Carr, some knucklehead on here blames him for taking a sack!

I heard Ian Howfield is available.... j/k

I like the "Save" aspect of looking at yesterday's performance.

Agreed - Sage is a solid backup - if Carr is out and Sage has a week of prep with the first team he'd do somewhat better than versus the Jags, which is all we can ask.

It wasn't Sage that allowed Spicer to come in on the blindside for the sack.
It wasn't Sage that called for the HB pass on 3rd & 4.
It wasn't Sage that blew the call and the challenge on Daniels' reception & fumble.
It wasn't Sage that was called for holding, forcing a 2nd & 20 from their own 16.

Any other week we'd say:

It wasn't Carr that allowed Spicer to come in on the blindside for the sack.
It wasn't Carr that called for the HB pass on 3rd & 4.
It wasn't Carr that blew the call and the challenge on Daniels' reception & fumble.
It wasn't Carr that was called for holding, forcing a 2nd & 20 from their own 16.

My point is that we have to look at the whole offense and not necessarilly assume that it's the QB that makes it or breaks it.

Any other week we'd say:

It wasn't Carr that allowed Spicer to come in on the blindside for the sack.
It wasn't Carr that called for the HB pass on 3rd & 4.
It wasn't Carr that blew the call and the challenge on Daniels' reception & fumble.
It wasn't Carr that was called for holding, forcing a 2nd & 20 from their own 16.

My point is that we have to look at the whole offense and not necessarilly assume that it's the QB that makes it or breaks it.

Although, for the most part, it is the QB.

That is why they get so much credit for good things & so much blame for bad things.

I understand what you mean tho.

I don't really think Sage had a lot of opportunity to do much. The whole offense was getting out-played at the time. However, I still think Carr is the better QB, although maybe not by as much as some think, and Sage is a reliable backup that I have no problem with.

I don't really think Sage had a lot of opportunity to do much. The whole offense was getting out-played at the time. However, I still think Carr is the better QB, although maybe not by as much as some think, and Sage is a reliable backup that I have no problem with.

I'm just glad that we have two QBs that are good enough to make some think that we have a controversy.

I'm just glad that we have two QBs that are good enough to make some think that we have a controversy.

Good point, because we just got a scare and I thought we were going to see Carr out for a while, like in year #2. That's why, IIRC, we only won 5 games that year, despite having the best pass protection of our first 4 yrs.

Although, for the most part, it is the QB.

That is why they get so much credit for good things & so much blame for bad things.
Or maybe it's the Quarterback-centric mentality of the fans and media?

I think this should quiet the "start Sage" crowd for a little while. He wasn't all that special, but at least he didn't make any mistakes that cost us the game.

I partly agree with you Double. It SHOULD quiet the "start Sage" crowd as you suggest. Whether it actually DOES quiet the "start Sage" crowd is another story.

We won the game, right? That's (duh) what most posters want, even those that criticize the team for 'less than' spectacular play. Before you Carr:homer: 's go overboard--especially the ones who taut Carr's stats every day, you may want to just enjoy the win and not get a 'sleeping dog' stirred up.

Carr's play was 'what' it was yesterday--'gutsy' play when needed and no give aways....and, most important, a win--that, my friend, is what it is all 'about.'......:cowboy1:

Wow dont put words in my mouth "sleeping Dog". Overboard, sleeping dog, homer, stats, Dont just pop off like that. Fact, the board is very slow when Carr has a good game.

Dont wake up the Sleeping Dog, please bro, just stop I have played ball to long and been here too long to care.............

Or maybe it's the Quarterback-centric mentality of the fans and media?
Lots of people think it's the most important position on the field....me included. Yesterday was my kind of game from Carr. He didn't have those stat pumping short passes and his % was down.....but he made big plays and clutch plays. I prefer that Carr over the stat pumper who makes no plays other than safe plays. Safe play guy doesn't win.

Lots of people think it's the most important position on the field....me included. Yesterday was my kind of game from Carr. He didn't have those stat pumping short passes and his % was down.....but he made big plays and clutch plays. I prefer that Carr over the stat pumper who makes no plays other than safe plays. Safe play guy doesn't win.

Vinny, I doubt very highly he cares about his stats, BUT David Carr will not hurt his team with stupid throws for INTs, he just will not do it. In other words he is not going to force something unless he has to. And your right he does need to take shots, but this IS a new Offense for him, and when he has trouble he goes to the check down too quick I am sure his coaches and family tell him. I love the fact that he is taking off and running more, that puts SOOOOOO much preasure on the CB and Backers, for example a play were he had nothing took off and found Owens for 15 yards, that is what he needs to do and he is just starting to understand what Kubiak is wanting to see out of him.

I remember Terry Bradshaw say something like, "When I was young with a new Offense nobody was open, when I was a vetran and won my super bowls everyone was open." He said something a long those lines, and I tell my QBs I coach in HS that, it takes a while for young guys to see stuff right away in a new scheme, but when they are jr and srs it is as hard as walking.

Vinny, I doubt very highly he cares about his stats, BUT David Carr will not hurt his team with stupid throws for INTs, he just will not do it. In other words he is not going to force something unless he has to. And your right he does need to take shots, but this IS a new Offense for him, and when he has trouble he goes to the check down too quick I am sure his coaches and family tell him. I love the fact that he is taking off and running more, that puts SOOOOOO much preasure on the CB and Backers, for example a play were he had nothing took off and found Owens for 15 yards, that is what he needs to do and he is just starting to understand what Kubiak is wanting to see out of him.
I never said he cares about his stats so those are your words, not mine. I just prefer the Carr that plays like we saw yesterday over the Carr we see too often. I see us fans pimping his stat line over and over like it means something...it means nothing. The only thing that matters is Carr challenged the Jags deep, he was decisive on his throws, he pulled the ball down and got the hell out of the pocket on time, and he ran the @!#$%@! over some Jags....that's the QB I like to see running my favorite team.

I don't know if anyone else listened to David this morning on 610 during his weekly Monday morning interview, so I'll give you an update. He said that his trap where he took the hit is swollen about three times the regular size. He said that it's the same injury he had last year (IIRC) where he had to miss a few games. He has little movement in the arm and didn't know if he would be ready to go or not. He said he was going to hit the gym for 6 hours or so and see how it responds. The guys kept trying to hound him and see if he was going to start Sunday. David didn't give me the inclination that he would be starting, I could be wrong though. You fans who want Sage to start may get your wish this week against Buffalo. He should be getting first team reps all week and have a game plan that suits his strengths. Hopefully David will be able to play come Sunday.

I don't know if anyone else listened to David this morning on 610 during his weekly Monday morning interview, so I'll give you an update. He said that his trap where he took the hit is swollen about three times the regular size. He said that it's the same injury he had last year (IIRC) where he had to miss a few games. He has little movement in the arm and didn't know if he would be ready to go or not. He said he was going to hit the gym for 6 hour or so and see how it responds. The guys kept trying to hound him and see if he was going to start Sunday. David didn't give me the inclination that he would be starting, I could be wrong though. You fans who want Sage to start may get your wish this week against Buffalo. He should be getting first team reps all week and have a game plan that suits his strengths. Hopefully David will be able to play come Sunday.
He said he would probably know by Wed....he is going to take treatment till wed and will toss the ball then....we will all know something mid week.

I think Kubiak will have either QB ready to play Sunday. Regardless of Sage's performance, the fact of the matter is that he is the first QB hired by Kubiak as a Texans head coach. He knows the importance of the position, as well has having a qualified backup. I won't lose any sleep if Rosenfels starts against the Bills.

What would concern me, though, is who is no. 3? :um:

Wow dont put words in my mouth "sleeping Dog". Overboard, sleeping dog, homer, stats, Dont just pop off like that. Fact, the board is very slow when Carr has a good game.

Dont wake up the Sleeping Dog, please bro, just stop I have played ball to long and been here too long to care.............

I started this thread 14 Hours ago

That's like 11 hours before this thread was started.

Looks like this team will be defense-centric with the offense's goal to do no harm. Ravens-esque. I like that we drafted a defensive hoss. They kind of set the tone :).

Carr had a couple of really good moments yesterday. The pass to Andre was picture perfect, and I also thought he showed great toughness, resolve and dare I say leadership,on the QB sweep, which was an interesting play in itself. But, let's not get carried away here.

Carr had 4, count em, 4 batted balls by my count. I know the Jags have some tall defenders, but 4 is too many for 3 qtrs of play. If he would ever learn to throw a ball correctly, he could cut those way down. The Defense gave him field position like mad with turnovers and stops, and he helped his offense manage a whole one TD in 3+ quarters of play with great field position throughout. A very good QB would have put up 30+ points on that team under those circumstances. Four turnovers led to a whopping 6 points. The offense stunk under both QB's when you get right down to it, so I will give him that, and do realize it's not one man only.

In terms of Sage, he didn't impress me nor disapoint me, because Kubes seemed to go into a shell at that point, trying to run the clock out. What did he get, 4 or so pass plays? Coming in cold in the 4th qtr with no prior warning at all isn't easy. Simply, that wasn't a fair way to analyze Sage. The only way we will know which of the 2 QB's on the roster is better is for both to play a full game. So far, that has not happened. One thing I am certain of in my mind is that Carr is not going to take this team to a SB, and that is ultimately what I am sure we all want.

I think Kubiak will have either QB ready to play Sunday. Regardless of Sage's performance, the fact of the matter is that he is the first QB hired by Kubiak as a Texans head coach. He knows the importance of the position, as well has having a qualified backup. I won't lose any sleep if Rosenfels starts against the Bills.

What would concern me, though, is who is no. 3? :um:

Oh gosh, what is that Dr's number for a refill on my valium? Looks like I am gonna need extra strenght this time...

I think Sage played great!!! He did not fumble the ball on the sack, "Carr might have fumbled on that type of hit.." He only had three chances to throw the ball so comming out and saying he sucks because he didn't throw a TD is stupid!! I will say this, he is a damn fine leader!!! He took our team to a 4th down and 1, he calmed down the team, led them to the line and converted that huge play! Give credit where credit is due, Sage is turning out to be a much better player than anyone in te league thought he would be. If he leads this team next week, i know we have a chance to pull out a win!

Huh??? :tease:

Back