Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Robert Griffin III could be the Texans next quarterback

I don't understand using First Take as an example of anything credible.

And they didn't even talk him up about joining the Texans... mostly spent time on what he would have to do in order to appeal to OB

That it would be more to RG's benefit than the Texans if he did

Didn't say don't discuss. Just dubious on the gathering steam characterization.
I guess the talk is gathering steam among the ignorant since the informed cannot speak about it without being charged with tampering of a player under contract.

I guess the talk is gathering steam among the ignorant since the informed cannot speak about it without being charged with tampering of a player under contract.

To a degree yes, but look at the Broncos - 'anonymous source in the franchise says they are examining RGIII as a fall back if they can't sign Osweiller.' No tampering charge there. Same kind of 'leak' about interest could have come out from the Texans but hasn't.

To a degree yes, but look at the Broncos - 'anonymous source in the franchise says they are examining RGIII as a fall back if they can't sign Osweiller.' No tampering charge there. Same kind of 'leak' about interest could have come out from the Texans but hasn't.
There will always be law breakers and tamperers who violate their trust and responsibilities to obey just laws.

He's probably picking up wishy-washy vibes from Chip Kelly.

Also, he may just not want to compete with Gabbert for the starting spot.

They've just asked permission to seek a trade, maybe just to gauge interest. It hasn't been given at this point. Imo it means nothing but maybe he wants to be guaranteed a starting spot

They've just asked permission to seek a trade, maybe just to gauge interest. It hasn't been given at this point. Imo it means nothing but maybe he wants to be guaranteed a starting spot

Who wants to trade for a QB who can't/doesn't want to beat out Blaine Gabbert?

And who the f'k names their kid Blaine?

I doubt he's spent much time with Kelly. Most likely his issue is with Baalke & how they allowed whatshisface to treat him.

I mean people are saying Osweiler wants out of Denver because he was benched for a first ballot hall of famer. Kaepernick was benched for a dude named Blaine.

I'm behind this 100% if O'b is. Meaning that O'b isn't going to try to force him into his version of Tom Brady, but work his system around what Kaep can do.
I just don't think O'Brien has that in him IMO. That is why he is no Belichick. Otherwise we would have seem him use Mallett's long ball talent more like they did in Baltimore. They shaped their offense around what Mallet did best, and it worked. O'Brien seemed hell bent on making Mallett conform to the horizontal game even though his touch was questionable. I think you need a pocket passer that can stand in and throw on time, and in tight windows at times. That's not Kap, or any mobile QB IMO.

Brink Kap here.
e8f68586c05e9c608bf08efa1daeb752.jpg

I just don't think O'Brien has that in him IMO. That is why he is no Belichick. Otherwise we would have seem him use Mallett's long ball talent more like they did in Baltimore. They shaped their offense around what Mallet did best, and it worked. O'Brien seemed hell bent on making Mallett conform to the horizontal game even though his touch was questionable. I think you need a pocket passer that can stand in and throw on time, and in tight windows at times. That's not Kap, or any mobile QB IMO.

I think there were extenuating circumstances regarding Mallett. O'b didn't like him. I don't think he ever did. Rumor was that it was Godsey & Smith that wanted Mallett. I think O'b was waiting for Hoyer the whole time.

All supposition conspiracy :tinfoil: thinking. I've got nothing to back it up, other than what you said. Didn't look like they set him up to succeed. They square pegged him.

But if you think about what he was able to do when he "had to" win with Keenum, Tj, & Weeden... you just know he's got it in him. He just needs to be motivated to get it done. I think Bob has motivated him to get it done this year.

Last edited:

You do realize that many of our players have said that our coaching staff does a good job with finding out what that players strengths are and making a game plan according to those strengths right? I highly doubt obrien was telling Mallet not to go deep, he let him rip it against the browns the year prior. Maybe Mallet just wasn't getting it done.

You do realize that many of our players have said that our coaching staff does a good job with finding out what that players strengths are and making a game plan according to those strengths right? I highly doubt obrien was telling Mallet not to go deep, he let him rip it against the browns the year prior. Maybe Mallet just wasn't getting it done.
Yeah, I read all that same stuff you did. But I watched the entire season too, and I watched Hard Knocks where O'Brien talked about how to deal with the press. Hell I listened to the recent interview with Hackenberg and even he is spouting O'Brien's lines about being the best teammate he can be. You could very well be right. Mallett may have just been scared to go deep, but I think that is unlikely since he went deep often in Baltimore. I think it's more likely O'Brien wanted Mallett to stay within the offense and do things he just wasn't good at doing.

Yeah, I read all that same stuff you did. But I watched the entire season too, and I watched Hard Knocks where O'Brien talked about how to deal with the press. Hell I listened to the recent interview with Hackenberg and even he is spouting O'Brien's lines about being the best teammate he can be. You could very well be right. Mallett may have just been scared to go deep, but I think that is unlikely since he went deep often in Baltimore. I think it's more likely O'Brien wanted Mallett to stay within the offense and do things he just wasn't good at doing.

That and some of our guys flat out could not catch this year.

Wait...what am I talking about? Mallett was throwing into the ground most of the year.

Good points, man. It seems like O'Brien is a systems coach that wants his systems QB.

LZ is not impressed with Hackenberg at all. I'll take his analysis any day over the boot licking GM we've got ('boot licking' defined as an obsequious or overly deferential person; a toady - 'obsequious' meaning obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree).

And I question O'Brien's talent evaluation skills when it comes to QBs, all things considered. He can coach the heck out of them, though, so he's got that going for him.

Good points, man. It seems like O'Brien is a systems coach that wants his systems QB.

LZ is not impressed with Hackenberg at all. I'll take his analysis any day over the boot licking GM we've got ('boot licking' defined as an obsequious or overly deferential person; a toady - 'obsequious' meaning obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree).

And I question O'Brien's talent evaluation skills when it comes to QBs, all things considered. He can coach the heck out of them, though, so he's got that going for him.
I'm being a bit hypocritical here, as I liked Clowney at 1.1 over any of the QB's, but just think if OB had taken one there. The mood on here could be much, much different.

I'm being a bit hypocritical here, as I liked Clowney at 1.1 over any of the QB's, but just think if OB had taken one there. The mood on here could be much, much different.

I think the problem with Clowney is the overwhelming hype about the guy before the draft. It sort of set him up for disappointment when folks were talking about "once in a generation player" and comparing him to HoF Bruce Smith before he even played a down of pro football.

I think the problem with Clowney is the overwhelming hype about the guy before the draft. It sort of set him up for disappointment when folks were talking about "once in a generation player" and comparing him to HoF Bruce Smith before he even played a down of pro football.
Boy, how many players has that happened to? Especially at QB.

I would not want RG3 but I would take him over Hackenburg if a gun was pointed at my head. I figured last year we would get stuck with Hackenburg just like we got stuck with Hoyer. Hackenburg wasn't good at all his soph and junior years. OBrien always thinks he can turn a turd into gold at the qb position and he has always taken care of his pets. In my opinion the Hack would be a big mistake just like Hoyer was. Ryan the Hammer had arm & size too and look what happened there. We need a guy that we don't have to try and turn into something he's not. Obrien probably thinks his guru crap will return the Hack to his freshman potential. Plenty of guys have started good and fallen off the map.

Reactions: ROO
I would not want RG3 but I would take him over Hackenburg if a gun was pointed at my head. I figured last year we would get stuck with Hackenburg just like we got stuck with Hoyer. Hackenburg wasn't good at all his soph and junior years. OBrien always thinks he can turn a turd into gold at the qb position and he has always taken care of his pets. In my opinion the Hack would be a big mistake just like Hoyer was. Ryan the Hammer had arm & size too and look what happened there. We need a guy that we don't have to try and turn into something he's not. Obrien probably thinks his guru crap will return the Hack to his freshman potential. Plenty of guys have started good and fallen off the map.
Hackensack is preferable at 22 more so than trading multiple draft picks for anyone in the top 10.

I wonder how much of the talent evaluation and how much of the coaching falls on OB and how much on Godsey?

Hackensack is preferable at 22 more so than trading multiple draft picks for anyone in the top 10.

Getting HackySack would very possibly put us in the same QB position that we have been in. If he ends up playing like he did in his sophomore & junior years, we would be in limbo for another 3-4 years before we go after another quarterback. Mortgaging the team to move up to 2 or 3 would not be a prudent move but moving up to get a decent guy is worth considering if the trade is not disastrous. Without a quarterback we are just playing house. At any rate, the problem I see is OB already being in love with this guy. His recent coachspeak appears to back it up as if he might have already made up his mind a long time ago. After he coached the Hack for his frosh year it looked like there was no way but up. Size and arm don't matter if you don't have the other attributes. The Hack panning out is not impossible but it seems like he is more of a longshot than a shoe-in like OB thinks.

Reactions: ROO

Not for me.

The only thing I like about hack is that at one point he was a top prospect, he played well under OB and OB seems to like him a lot.

I really don't even want him at 22 unless there is a run on QB's.

I keep trying to like him more when I watch him, but he's just so.....bleh

I think we are going to take him though, so my hope is that everyone else thinks this as well and we have them all fooled or OB can rekindle that old flame.

Getting HackySack would very possibly put us in the same QB position that we have been in. If he ends up playing like he did in his sophomore & junior years, we would be in limbo for another 3-4 years before we go after another quarterback. Mortgaging the team to move up to 2 or 3 would not be a prudent move but moving up to get a decent guy is worth considering if the trade is not disastrous. Without a quarterback we are just playing house. At any rate, the problem I see is OB already being in love with this guy. His recent coachspeak appears to back it up as if he might have already made up his mind a long time ago. After he coached the Hack for his frosh year it looked like there was no way but up. Size and arm don't matter if you don't have the other attributes. The Hack panning out is not impossible but it seems like he is more of a longshot than a shoe-in like OB thinks.

Just my opinion, but if you think the guy is just "decent" you have no business trading up for him.

Getting hurt didn't even give him the chance the hype

Not for me.

The only thing I like about hack is that at one point he was a top prospect, he played well under OB and OB seems to like him a lot.

I really don't even want him at 22 unless there is a run on QB's.

I keep trying to like him more when I watch him, but he's just so.....bleh

I think we are going to take him though, so my hope is that everyone else thinks this as well and we have them all fooled or OB can rekindle that old flame.
No QB expert here, but for anybody who saw Hackenburg in the combine during the passing drills he was obviously very inaccurate and therefor very bad. I mean it was a couple guys in T-shirts & Shorts just playing catch on the Indy field and he was stunningly off target on simple little 10 to 15 yard passes. This guy can't possible be a first round value
unless there's a very good explanation for what was an extraordinarily negative performance at the combine.

This guy can't possible be a first round value
unless there's a very good explanation for what was an extraordinarily negative performance at the combine.

The muffins at the Garden Inn are rough. He should have stayed at Holiday Inn.

By the way who stays at a Holiday Inn for a holiday? Isn't 99% of their business business? Shouldn't it be Business Inn?

The muffins at the Garden Inn are rough. He should have stayed at Holiday Inn.

By the way who stays at a Holiday Inn for a holiday? Isn't 99% of their business business? Shouldn't it be Business Inn?

Pretty sure they say Holiday Inn cause when you stay there you will feel so relaxed that you will think it's a Holiday.

Back