Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Robert Griffin III could be the Texans next quarterback

Miller has said he wants to be there and it will be a friendly negotiation.

might be friendly negotiations but he and his agent knows his worth. 1 of the most dominant pass rushers in the game, and almost single handily won his team the superbowl, along with being a huge reason as to why they got there.

It will be a big big number no doubt. However they can get most of that back by Manning leaving, and there will probably some others to go

Von Miller may just be the complicating factor for the Broncos in their quest for Osweiler.
You're right in that Miller will obviously be franchised unless they can reach a long term deal before they have to do that. And yes, they've got a little bit of a tight cap situation right now, but Peyton Manning - willingly or unwillingly - can provide a lot of relief when it comes to keeping both Miller and Osweiler on board. I see them figuring out a way to make it work, but that's part of the fun of NFL free agency - we'll find out definitively in matter of weeks.

http://nfltraderumors.co/142753-2/

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle tells Tim McManus of PhillyMag.com that he believes the Texans are tired of starting “retread” quarterbacks and will instead target a quarterback in the draft.

“They want to draft [a quarterback] in the first round. They’re tired of using retreads,” McClain said. “They played five this year, started four. Last year they played four and started three. So they need a quarterback, and they want one that they can develop.”

McClain specifically mentioned Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg as someone to keep an eye on for the Texans.

“I think Christian Hackenberg is going to end up being reunited with Bill O’Brien,” McClain said. “I think that’s going to be their quarterback. I think O’Brien loves the guy. I don’t know that, but I just think he does based on what I’ve heard.”

McClain also added that Sam Bradford is unlikely to be an option for Houston, saying: “People that think Bradford is coming here, chances are they’re going to be mistaken.”

So using John "Pancakes" McClains recent history expect the Texans to sign Bradford and draft Prescott.

Last edited:
so..Blue and Polk averaged only 3.7 so Texans should sign Morris who averaged..wait for it...3.7!!
Well, I wasn't talking RBs, but Morris does have a better average over his career, though he has regressed every year. I'd rather gamble on Miller or Martin personally

Every single pick, in every single draft is a roll of the dice. It's all a gamble.

Savage falling to the 4th round is more of a function of some bad decisions he made by transferring schools than his ability to play QB. He's admitted that he made a mistake and has, by all reports, worked very hard to be a good pro player.

You don't think he has the talent or ability to be a starter based purely on draft position, or by the play he's shown on the field?

No, I don't think he will ever be a long term starter, and if he does I don't think his ceiling would ever be that high. So why waste time on a guy like that? I'm so tired of the mediocre mentality of QB'S in this franchise. It's like they think we still have nfl rules from 1972.

Savage is another Mettenburger type of QB to me. Very similar.

No, I don't think he will ever be a long term starter, and if he does I don't think his ceiling would ever be that high. So why waste time on a guy like that? I'm so tired of the mediocre mentality of QB'S in this franchise. It's like they think we still have nfl rules from 1972.

Fair enough, but what makes you think that Savage isn't a long term answer? Can't read a defense? Can't recognize a blitz? Just your gut feeling?

Fair enough, but what makes you think that Savage isn't a long term answer? Can't read a defense? Can't recognize a blitz? Just your gut feeling?
We don't even know any of those things entering his third year in the NFL because he can't stay healthy long enough to find out. He looked pretty good in a couple preseason games. He's only played in two regular-season games and he didn't even finish those games because he came out of them with more injuries.

The problem with him is simply the unknown. From all accounts he's a hard worker and is putting in a lot of good rehab (working out I should say) and effort this off-season. We'll see once training camp rolls around.

I just hope he doesn't go down again. One bad hit to the severe right shoulder sprain he had against Dallas in the preseason last year, and that could be bad news again because that was an injury that didn't require surgery just a lot of time to heal (long enough to be placed on IR). I think he'll be wearing some form of extra shoulder padding there but how effective will it be?

You can't evaluate players who aren't healthy enough to compete.

We don't even know any of those things entering his third year in the NFL because he can't stay healthy long enough to find out. He looked pretty good in a couple preseason games. He's only played in two regular-season games and he didn't even finish those games because he came out of them with more injuries.

The problem with him is simply the unknown. From all accounts he's a hard worker and is putting in a lot of good rehab (working out I should say) and effort this off-season. We'll see once training camp rolls around.

I just hope he doesn't go down again. One bad hit to the severe right shoulder sprain he had against Dallas in the preseason last year, and that could be bad news again because that was an injury that didn't require surgery just a lot of time to heal (long enough to be placed on IR). I think he'll be wearing some form of extra shoulder padding there but how effective will it be?

You can't evaluate players who aren't healthy enough to compete.

As I have posted before, Grade III a-c separations seldom require surgery (typically only in the case of ongoing instability). People with Grade III shoulder sprains often return to work within four weeks. Athletes who participate in contact sports, especially QBs, however, have a high risk of injuring the area again, so they often need three to five months of rehabilitation before returning to their sport. If the joint remains unstable, it will be diagnosed much earlier than three months and the player would be taken to surgery. If the player has not required surgery (as is evidently the case with Savage), pre-injury strength and performance can be expected after the completion of the rehab......and re-injury of the joint would be highly unlikely.

No, I don't think he (Savage) will ever be a long term starter, and if he does I don't think his ceiling would ever be that high. So why waste time on a guy like that? I'm so tired of the mediocre mentality of QB'S in this franchise. It's like they think we still have nfl rules from 1972.

Disagree. I think Savage has a lot more promise than you think. If Savage is another Mettenburger, then I want him out on the field proving if he is, or he isn't.

EDIT: And I need to be slapped upside the head for moving this back to the top. This RG3 thread needs to die.

Last edited:
Disagree. I think Savage has a lot more promise than you think. If Savage is another Mettenburger, then I want him out on the field proving if he is, or he isn't.

EDIT: And I need to be slapped upside the head for moving this back to the top. This RG3 thread needs to die.

He has a big arm, but throws a very inaccurate deep ball. I watched a ton of film on him from college. He either over throws or under throws the deep ball consistently. He isn't mobile at all either, so you get another statue at QB in a league where mobile QB's are more and more of a demand since there are so many now. He can take a big hit in the pocket. I'll give him that. He'll stand in there, and take the hit to make the play. That also increases his chances of getting injured. Again though, I have no idea what major upside you think he has other than the fact that he plays for the Texans and there is a strong desire for him to succeed. I think that is increasing the upside that you feel he has. I don't see any other fans around the NFL, or analysts, or players talking about how this Savage guy on the Texans was some sleeper in the draft that the Texans stole. I don't see or hear anyone talking about how great they think he can be. The only people I hear saying anything about Savage are starving Texans fans who typically always think the next man up (Yates, Keenum, Mallet) is about to shred the league. The only guy that a ton of those Texans fans didn't get all loosey goosey for was Hoyer, and that was because they all watched him stink it up for the Browns the prior season.

He has a big arm, but throws a very inaccurate deep ball. I watched a ton of film on him from college. He either over throws or under throws the deep ball consistently. He isn't mobile at all either, so you get another statue at QB in a league where mobile QB's are more and more of a demand since there are so many now. He can take a big hit in the pocket. I'll give him that. He'll stand in there, and take the hit to make the play. That also increases his chances of getting injured. Again though, I have no idea what major upside you think he has other than the fact that he plays for the Texans and there is a strong desire for him to succeed. I think that is increasing the upside that you feel he has. I don't see any other fans around the NFL, or analysts, or players talking about how this Savage guy on the Texans was some sleeper in the draft that the Texans stole. I don't see or hear anyone talking about how great they think he can be. The only people I hear saying anything about Savage are starving Texans fans who typically always think the next man up (Yates, Keenum, Mallet) is about to shred the league. The only guy that a ton of those Texans fans didn't get all loosey goosey for was Hoyer, and that was because they all watched him stink it up for the Browns the prior season.

The Texans actions last year proved that Savage may not be on their radar . Of course this begs the question what was their plans when they passed on everyone until the 4th round . My answer is they didn't calculate a QBs value right . If you think he'll be taken in the 3rd round you need to put a 2nd round grade on him .

Any idea why Kirk Cousins and the Redskins broke off contract negotiation talks? They could always franchise tag him but Adam Schefter was on the NFL Network saying that's not a guarantee at this point. There's a bit of a falling out with Cousins and the Redskins front office.

If Kirk Cousins becomes available would the Texans have any interest in him? And what would the Redskins do? Would they try to make nice with Robert Griffin III out of desperation? LOL, although I'm pretty sure the RG3 ship has long sailed away from the D.C. area.

Between Brock Osweiler and Kirk Cousins, I take it we all see more upside in Osweiler even though Cousins has a little more body of work to evaluate.

Dude, have you watched osweiler play? HE SUCKS!! Some of his throws when starting this year looked worse than a lot of the thows that a noodle armed washed up manning threw. If he were really any good at all manning would of never seen the field again. His so called upside, familiarity and lack of decent options is the only reason he's being offered a chance to come back. If he doesn't lower his demands to that of a average middle of the pack qb that they hope he can become hes going to hit FA and some stupid team is going to o er pay him and be ruined for years. I prey it's not us.

Last edited:
The Texans actions last year proved that Savage may not be on their radar . Of course this begs the question what was their plans when they passed on everyone until the 4th round . My answer is they didn't calculate a QBs value right . If you think he'll be taken in the 3rd round you need to put a 2nd round grade on him .
I think you read too much into the situation last season. He was injured and didn't need to rush him back for his sake and there appeared to be two good QBs in the fold. IR with a right to return is rarely used before starting the season and is usually reserved for a KEY starter suffering an early season injury. It's not about the LONG TERM outlook.

It depends. If they targeted a specific guy, then yes, I agree with you. But if they wanted to make sure they got one of a group... not so much. O'b talked about a group of 6 that included Mettenberger & McCarron. They were going into the 5th round without a pick. Makes sense they used a compensatory 4th on a QB in case all three were gone before the round was over.

As Cousins has been brought into this discussion, this is an interesting GM take. If Cousins isn't franchised, despite his unproven performance beyond very short term, he will command a pretty penny.

Former GM: You're not paying Kirk Cousins; you're paying value of position
Feb 17, 2016
  • John Keim ESPN Staff Writer

He likes Kirk Cousins; he doesn’t love him. He likes what Cousins did last season; he’s not convinced it’ll continue. That’s why this former NFL general manager views the Washington Redskins as being in a tough spot when it comes to signing their pending free-agent quarterback.

The former GM provided some insight into the thinking that takes place during negotiations. In the end he’s not sold on how good Cousins can be, but he also knows the value of the position he plays. Those two forces often lead to contracts that make fans scratch their heads.

Here’s what the GM, who wanted to remain anonymous, said. (See how his thinking evolves; early in our talk he was more taking a hard line in what the Redskins should do. By the end, he swung a different way):

The Redskins need to keep Kirk Cousins, and Cousins' agent knows it. Rich Schultz /Getty Images
The agent has the leverage: The former GM said the Redskins must know this and can’t panic. “Right now you know that any deal that makes sense for you given who he really is, is not going to be a good deal for them. You still have to question whether or not you can really win with him consistently. If he’s Andy Dalton or Alex Smith and you’ve made that determination, go with it. But if you haven’t, don’t talk yourself into it. Be patient even if it means going into the marketplace and competing for him. You know no one will pay more money than you are. Could someone do something stupid? Anyone can. But when you do, you pay for it. Look at the Alex Mack contract with the Browns. They matched Jacksonville’s offer. Both teams were stupid. Two years later what has he done for the Browns? Nothing.

“I understand with Cousins that he’s a quarterback and what if we don’t have him. But I’m saying whatever we pay him is going to be more than anyone else and he’s in a system with a coach that knows him and he has a comfort level here. The agent knows that. The agent knows who the kid is, but he’ll do everything he can to milk as much money as he can. He’ll play on the desperateness that they have to have him. In these things the agents biggest allies are the coaches: ‘We can’t play without him.’ That’s what drives the market up, the internal pressure."

The franchise tag: This GM would want something done before the tag and certainly wouldn’t want to use it, feeling he’d lose all the leverage. The approximate $20 million tag number then becomes the baseline for talks. GM: “The tag for him is a great thing. Short of him getting hurt, he’ll get a good contract. He can take $5 million less next year from someone else because he already would have gotten the money with the franchise tag. There’s no downside for him. That’s the poker game they have to play. [Agent Mike] McCartney is happy with that. Now if he goes out and plays well, they have to pay.” If the Redskins don’t use the tag, the GM’s thought is that it would be because they’re comfortable with his likely value on the open market and they’d know another team would not pay him as much as the Redskins would. It’s hard to imagine the Redskins not using the tag, but this GM would be against the move (though he's not as high on Cousins as the Redskins are).

More leverage: The other thing on McCartney’s side: Mike Shanahan's consistent praising of Cousins; a cap that will increase this year and next, and a lack of good quarterback options on the open market, not to mention no strong backup plan for the Redskins (publicly at least). The GM's position starts to waver: “McCartney has a lot of things going for him that’s why I say you just have to pay him and then just move on. There is no other thinking. You’re not paying the player, you’re paying the value of the position; we're overpaying the talent because of the position he plays. That’s the only position you can take that philosophy and justify it. … Again if you’re [Jay] Gruden you’re asking the GM, ‘Who do we replace him with?’ I’ll tell you what happens, the room goes silent because the thought of who you replace him with is scarier than what you’re paying him.”

Final verdict: This is where the GM became resigned and even laughed about saying this is often how the thought process plays out: “In the end you pay him. Get it over with and if it doesn’t work out you go back to the drawing board. You’ve got no options. We can hypothesize all we want, but you’ve got to pay him. There’s no way they’ll all be on the same page about [being firm in negotiations]. If I’m Jay Gruden I’d say to Dan Snyder, ‘Are you going to watch me go 6-10 with Colt McCoy and then keep me?’ No. ... He’s not the reason we’re going to win, but the value of the position is what we’re paying. You have to be sober about that. It’s a tough one.”

Dallas has apparently lost interest in pursuing RGIII.
What would be funny is if the Redskins lose Kirk Cousins and then they have to "play nice" and literally beg Robert Griffin III to come back. Which at this point they burned that bridge a long time ago. No way RG3 is going back to D.C. even if they promised him the starting job.

Stephen A. Smith on ESPN2's First Take said that he would like to see Robert Griffin III sign with the Houston Texans and play for Bill O'Brien. I've been in RG3's corner from day one. I'd love to see him come here as well even though some other tempting free agent options may present themselves out of nowhere.

We can still draft a quarterback as well as signing a free agent.
I have been in favor of bringing in two new guys from the get go.

I like Kirk Cousins' competitiveness but for some reason I like RG3 more.

There was a time, Mike Shanahan's last year coaching Washington (RG3 was his starting QB), when I would have dealt a second-round pick to Washington for Kirk Cousins. At the time the Redskins were shopping him for a second-round pick. He would have been a smart gamble for the Houston Texans for a second-round pick back then. I was on board with going all out for Cousins. But now, not so much. I'm not into Cousins all that much anymore even though he's coming off a career year.

Last edited:
Even funnier would be if Brian Hoyer ends up starting for the Washington Redskins in 2016. It would feel awkward and weird to say the least. No different than seeing Ryan Fitzpatrick play for the Jets in 2015. :dance2:

The Redskins better stop overthinking things and bluffing like they have control over the situation. Otherwise they're going to be left in the cold without any good quarterback options. They should have just ponied up the big money and re-signed Cousins already. The fact they aren't so sure they will franchise tag him after some bad negotiations with his agent means they care more about pride rather than common sense.

Worst case Cousins is franchised and both sides wait a year to hash it out he wont be leaving WAS. RG3 is the biggest IF out there. Can he become a pocket passer and not rely on his legs? Is the 'cant read a defense' stuff I run into just a figment of my imagination of have I read it somewhere? Baylor kid would strike me as bright guy, but you never know. Ive grown wary of going all in with him, but adding him into an all out competition isnt a bad thing IMO.

I enjoyed watching RGIII in college, but his career path in the pros looks more like
Sam Bradford's health wise - we need a guy who can stay on the field for the entire season and
contribute..

What would be funny is if the Redskins lose Kirk Cousins and then they have to "play nice" and literally beg Robert Griffin III to come back. Which at this point they burned that bridge a long time ago. No way RG3 is going back to D.C. even if they promised him the starting job.
Well, since RGIII is currently under contract, if things play out as you suggest, the only way he's not playing for the Redskins next season is if he holds out.

Well, since RGIII is currently under contract, if things play out as you suggest, the only way he's not playing for the Redskins next season is if he holds out.
I thought it was common knowledge around the league that they would release him before March 9 (so relatively soon). I suppose the situation may change if they lose Cousins - March 1 is the deadline to use the franchise tag - so we'll see but RG3 didn't even speak to the media when he cleaned out his Redskins locker room. It was just assumed he wasn't coming back.

Jay Gruden isn't going to go through that mess again with RG3 for another full year. It's not fair to either party. If they lose Cousins, I think they'll still release Robert Griffin III.

In that case, the Redskins would be starting over at quarterback. Looking to draft, dare I say, two more quarterbacks in the 2016 NFL Draft. Just like they did in the 2012 draft that netted them both RG3 and Cousins in the first place. Or they could search the free agent market like we have done the past few off-seasons. It's usually slim pickings for that position.

All signs point to the Redskins using the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins.
They can continue to bluff for another week but they'll have to give in.
At least one would think. If not then Daniel Snyder is a bad poker player.

Last edited:
As Cousins has been brought into this discussion, this is an interesting GM take. If Cousins isn't franchised, despite his unproven performance beyond very short term, he will command a pretty penny.
Paying $10M is paying for the position. Paying $20M is OVERPAYING for the player at the position. That is why you limit the damage by using the one year franchise tag over a long term guaranteed contract.

Perhaps using the one year $20M plus $10M per year beyond next year as a basis for guaranteed money would get you in the proper value neighborhood. The non guaranteed money is an afterthought with marginal importance.

Even funnier would be if Brian Hoyer ends up starting for the Washington Redskins in 2016. It would feel awkward and weird to say the least. No different than seeing Ryan Fitzpatrick play for the Jets in 2015. :dance2:

The Redskins better stop overthinking things and bluffing like they have control over the situation. Otherwise they're going to be left in the cold without any good quarterback options. They should have just ponied up the big money and re-signed Cousins already. The fact they aren't so sure they will franchise tag him after some bad negotiations with his agent means they care more about pride rather than common sense.
Cousins isn't leaving Washington. Not a chance in hell.

Cousins isn't leaving Washington. Not a chance in hell.
This is early on in the poker game for either side to be actually folding into reasonable demands. There's a reason most contracts come at deadlines. Just let it play out and see what happens.

Just imagine if we're contemplating using the franchise tag on our 2014 fourth round pick.

Tom Savage will take all 12 other QBs lunch money
John "Hollywood" McClain said on 610 radio in the last week that he sees Savage starting the Texans' season opener in September this year. God I hope he's right, maybe he knows something ? Trouble is McClain has been consistently wrong in recent years about what the Texans do at QB.

Reactions: ROO
John "Hollywood" McClain said on 610 radio in the last week that he sees Savage starting the Texans' season opener in September this year. God I hope he's right, maybe he knows something ? Trouble is McClain has been consistently wrong in recent years about what the Texans do at QB.

That's just his opinion & based on what he/we know now... it's not much different than what many of us have suggested.

However, we're a long way off from OTAs. We don't know how FA is going to shake out. If we land RGIII (I'm not in favor) then we probably won't be drafting a QB early, RGIII & Savage will most likely compete for the starting job, heavily leaning towards Tom Savage & his three years of clip board duty.

If we manage a trade with Detroit, or San Diego, or Atlanta (all made up wish we would stuff in my own Madden fantasy world) then Savage won't be in the conversation as starting week 1.

If we trade up to draft one of the top 3 prospects, Savage may be our Chad Henne... it's way too early to tell & so many things can happen between now & then that Tom may not even be on the team & John McClain is still not "technically" wrong as it's his opinion based on what he knows now.

He also said that he thought he'd be starting while they got their high round draft choice ready - presumably either late 2016 or the start of 2017. McClain has also repeatedly said that he believes that the high round draft choice will be Hackenberg, although I don't know if he thinks he'll be picked at #22 or sometime later.

He also said that he thought he'd be starting while they got their high round draft choice ready - presumably either late 2016 or the start of 2017. McClain has also repeatedly said that he believes that the high round draft choice will be Hackenberg, although I don't know if he thinks he'll be picked at #22 or sometime later.
Christian Hackenberg was our lowest-graded QB in 2014
The Penn State QB is a potential NFL draft pick because of his physical talent, but his production didn’t measure up in 2014.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-hackenberg-was-our-lowest-graded-qb-in-2014/
And wasn't 2015 just about as bad as 2014 for Hackenberg ?

RG3 to the Texans is picking up some steam.
But until he can sign it's all just good spots-talk material.

Robert Griffin III will soon be released by the Redskins.
A couple of teams have interest in him but I doubt there's a trade.
Their President pretty much said so yesterday...

President of the Washington Redskins Bruce Allen joins "The Mighty 1090 - Dan Sileo Show" to discuss the future of Robert Griffin III and the latest on Kirk Cousins' contract negotiations.

He has to become "technically available" and we're getting closer to that day. Still a couple more weeks of waiting. I'm just saying... It's pretty boring right now. Did you watch First Take on ESPN2 today? More RG3 to the Texans talk on there if you must know.

The Texans are one of the most QB desperate teams in the league. Of course there will be speculation. Doesn't mean there is any substance.
Fair enough. But it's all we have right now. Until he can officially sign somewhere why can't we discuss it? I almost don't want to post here anymore until RG3 signs. I'm just trying to share anything I find or hear.

Reactions: ROO
Fair enough. But it's all we have right now. Until he can officially sign somewhere why can't we discuss it? I almost don't want to post here anymore until RG3 signs. I'm just trying to share anything I find or hear.

Didn't say don't discuss. Just dubious on the gathering steam characterization.

Back