Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Report: Texans and Raiders in Serious Trade Talk for Matt Schaub

If Schaub would have been released out right the general consensus was he would sign in Cleveland because of Shanahan. Raiders beat writers say McKenzie knew this and made the trade happen.

Sounds like Oakland didn't want us to cut Schaub. There's no guarantee they can get him if he hit the market, at the very least, they would have had to overpay to get him... which is the nature of FA.

By trading with us, they guarantee they get their guy at a price they're comfortable paying (though they did renegotiate his contract).

Not that I agree with badboy, just saying he's got a point. The Raiders wanted Schaub & they didn't want to wait for him to hit the market.

umm nobody said they didn't want Schaub.. it's what price they wanted to pay for him. It's very possible they were never ever willing to spend more than what they spent so I don't see the point in trying to argue Rick Smith could've gotten more than a 6th round pick out of the Raiders. Hell there's people who already believe the Raiders screwed up by trading that.

If Schaub would have been released out right the general consensus was he would sign in Cleveland because of Shanahan. Raiders beat writers say McKenzie knew this and made the trade happen.

Yes nobody is trying to argue that wasn't the consensus.. but that's the only reason why we ever got a draft pick for Schaub.. My point is just because the Raiders wanted Schaub doesn't mean they were ever willing to trade more than a 6th round pick for him. If we pushed the asking price too high they simply could of told us to take a walk and hung up the phone.

Yes nobody is trying to argue that wasn't the consensus.. but that's the only reason why we ever got a draft pick for Schaub.. My point is just because the Raiders wanted Schaub doesn't mean they were ever willing to trade more than a 6th round pick for him. If we pushed the asking price too high they simply could of told us to take a walk and hung up the phone.
I can buy this. If the Browns wanted Schaub badly enough, they could've gotten him at a very reasonable price.

IMO, The Browns smartly sat back to see what would happen. 99.99% of football people (fans and professionals) probably thought Schaub would be cut because of his contract and the Browns would automatically be the favorite because of Shannahan.

According to spotrac they moved things around but their cap hit this year is still $11.7 mil.

The Raiders were bidding against the possibility of not being Schaub's 1st choice if he hit the open market. That's it.

I think that's still the old contract (pre-Oakland restructure). The $11.7 is for 2012, and it still shows a $10M base salary for 2014. I'm guessing they don't have the details to update it (Spotrac) yet.

Doesn't look like OvertheCap.com has updated anything yet either.

I think that's still the old contract (pre-Oakland restructure). The $11.7 is for 2012, and it still shows a $10M base salary for 2014. I'm guessing they don't have the details to update it (Spotrac) yet.

Doesn't look like OvertheCap.com has updated anything yet either.

Ooops.

I see. Interesting opinion.

Are you sure about that?

You're arguing it. You & infantrycak act as if it's worth arguing the point.

I have no idea if it's possible, but my hope is that we find out one day that the 6th round pick is conditional based on performance, and could actually go higher. Aren't there instances where the information released to the public is not always accurate or complete?

I have no idea if it's possible, but my hope is that we find out one day that the 6th round pick is conditional based on performance, and could actually go higher. Aren't there instances where the information released to the public is not always accurate or complete?

Those are for picks the next year, not the current one. This 6th is in 2014.

Are you sure about that?

You're arguing it. You & infantrycak act as if it's worth arguing the point.

I'm pretty sure I disputed badboy's assertion 6th round picks are essentially worthless and asked a question about trades comporting with his expectations which he declined to answer.

I believe we're going to use that pick way before Schaub starts the first game for the Raiders. If it were a future pick, it's possible to be conditional based on performance. But we got their pick in this draft.

I do agree that getting a sixth is a windfall for getting Schaub. However, I had no idea that the Raiders would be wanting him to start & didn't pay any attention to the moves they've been making, which says they are in "win now" now mode.

I have no problems believing Rick Smith was more in tune to the situation than I was & unlike badboy, I do believe Smith got as much blood out of this turnip that he could.

Just my perception but I think Ric Smith blew this trade. Probably sounds silly but imo the value of something resides more in what the buyer values it. In this scenario, Oakland recently said Schaub can start for 3-4 more seasons. They got a starter (in their opinion) for a 6th as we did for Myers. I think the decision of Texans was just to move MS for whatever & go forward. For the record, I have been in favor of moving MS for years but don't like the feeling of getting taken. While I want every pick I can get, I probably would have cut him June 1st rather than take a 6th.

I think that Cleveland not taking a more publicly vocal role indicates they want Manziel. Of course I want then to want Manziel enough to trade for 1-1 so...

As much as you would want to, you cannot disconnect Schaub from his contract when considering trade value. He was being paid to be good, not a cheap standby so you won't get the draft picks. I think getting one was outstanding.

As much as you would want to, you cannot disconnect Schaub from his contract when considering trade value. He was being paid to be good, not a cheap standby so you won't get the draft picks. I think getting one was outstanding.

I agree. I would have been ok with just giving him up for free to whomever is willing to absorb his contract. The fact we got a 6th rounder out of it was quite close to brilliance.

The Texans had very little leverage against the Raiders... there's only the rumors that the Browns were interested as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my perception but I think Ric Smith blew this trade. Probably sounds silly but imo the value of something resides more in what the buyer values it. In this scenario, Oakland recently said Schaub can start for 3-4 more seasons. They got a starter (in their opinion) for a 6th as we did for Myers. I think the decision of Texans was just to move MS for whatever & go forward. For the record, I have been in favor of moving MS for years but don't like the feeling of getting taken. While I want every pick I can get, I probably would have cut him June 1st rather than take a 6th.

I think that Cleveland not taking a more publicly vocal role indicates they want Manziel. Of course I want then to want Manziel enough to trade for 1-1 so...
In my perception, both organizations would be money ahead by putting CnD on the payroll and avoiding these costly mistakes. :fostering:

Memories.........some good..........some not so good.........

i5WleUN8MBssx.gif

Back