Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Reliant Stadium to be renamed

NRG Stadium sounds okay to me. It's the college bowl games that are especially bad. Beef o Brady's Bowl? Jeez.

yeah, back then it was all about chasing girls and the party...although I can't dance to save my life. I feel like Elaine on Seinfeld when I have tried.

oh yeah! I remember the names, but not the places themselves.

All fine establishments (also Numbers, Ocean Club, Red Square, Sam’s, etc.) but we easily spent the most time at XCESS.

Good lord, it's a pack of mid forties guys who went from girls to games.

Wow. So many choices in Houston back in those days. As far as R&R clubs in Austin we had Sneakers on N Lamar and that was about it!

Multiple choices remain.
Just ask your children.
:D

That hurts your argument even more. Hotel taxes are primarily paid by non-Harris County people.

Not sure about now but in the past if you lived in harris county and stayed at a hotel you could show your license and they would take that tax off.

Mike

Wait!! What???? No Cardis?? errr, there was a period of "Thunders", no? C'mon MAN!! :D I once, twice saw or multiple times have seen "Diamond Darryl" there!

RIP Mr. Abbott!!

Even when they were playing "covers" as a "glam band", Darrell was bringing it!!!

I don't remember the "Abyss" though I'm sure I have stared into it, a bunch!!!

Dude, Cardis is the name I was trying to remember! :thumbup That place was ground zero for hard rock and metal bands back in the day. I've puked in that bathroom too many times to remember. Back before I know what limitations were, y'know?!

Very cool that you saw Diamond Darrell before Cowboys From Hell. I saw Pantera every time after that album, but by then they were playing bigger venues.

Dude, Cardis is the name I was trying to remember! :thumbup That place was ground zero for hard rock and metal bands back in the day. I've puked in that bathroom too many times to remember. Back before I know what limitations were, y'know?!

Very cool that you saw Diamond Darrell before Cowboys From Hell. I saw Pantera every time after that album, but by then they were playing bigger venues.

Lol, I once saw Dee Snyder damn near get a guy killed when Twisted Sister was there. The guy's big offense was he didn't get up and clap his hayands up high....lol.

I miss that place. There was one in Austin for a while but there was only one Cardi's.

Right on brother!! BTW, I don't mean to denigrate Pantera by the "Glam" period they went through at Cardis, Thunders or BackStage...

BTW, Question?
WERE YOU OR WERE YOU NOT THAT NASTY MOFO THAT LEFT PUKE EVERYWHERE? CBGB's was jealous!!! ;)

Instead of fighting your way out of a wet paper bag it seems you are drowning in it

Nope. I just don't buy the argument that diversion of taxes payed by Hotel guests makes it not a tax subsidy for Billionaires. If you wish to think otherwise, then I'm not going to change your mind, but I would consider offering you beachfront property in Arizona because of Global Warming caused rises in sea levels.

Nope. I just don't buy the argument that diversion of taxes payed by Hotel guests makes it not a tax subsidy for Billionaires. If you wish to think otherwise, then I'm not going to change your mind, but I would consider offering you beachfront property in Arizona because of Global Warming caused rises in sea levels.

While taxes are being used for the stadium the tax you brought up is not paid in large part by local tax payers and that is the reason they choose to impose it the way that they do. Naming it Houston Tax Payers would be rather silly as they arent paying the tax and you would also miss out on added revenue to be collected by corp sponsorships. Also the billionaire you speak of doesnt own the stadium so you are off on multiple fronts.

Please tell me about this ocen front property you know of. I hope it is just as informative as your take on population flows in California, credit card companies practices or any of the other topics that you are missinformed on

C'mon .... its Dimebag, not Diamond. :slapfight:

Cardis was awesome, so was the Abyss (Pantera played there once at least). Not even sure what rock clubs are out in H-town now. Is Backstage still there?

Right on brother!! BTW, I don't mean to denigrate Pantera by the "Glam" period they went through at Cardis, Thunders or BackStage...

Man, no denigration at all. Pantera's history is what it is, and during the mid '80's when Pantera formed, they were just doing what most metalheads were doing.

And then Dimebag met James Hetfield, and the rest, as they say, is history. :headbang:

Scourge made me copies of the early Pantera albums (pre-Cowboys), and Dime was always an amazing player. Hopefully Vinnie Paul releases a Pantera boxset one day with everything from their career.

BTW, Question?
WERE YOU OR WERE YOU NOT THAT NASTY MOFO THAT LEFT PUKE EVERYWHERE? CBGB's was jealous!!! ;)

ummm....ummmmm....I plead the 5th! :drunk: and make it a 5th of Jack Daniels! hehe

C'mon .... its Dimebag, not Diamond. :slapfight:

You don't know your Pantera history. :fingergun: Liner notes of the original release of Cowboys From Hell lists him as Diamond Darrell.

In 1994, Abbott dropped the nickname "Diamond Darrell" (after original Van Halen lead vocalist "Diamond" David Lee Roth,) and assumed the nickname "Dimebag Darrell."

Source

Dimebag – Stage Name Origins

Do we really have to explain this one? The legendary Pantera guitarist “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott first adopted the name of “Diamond” Darrell Abbott during the early stages of the band.

However, as Pantera began to emerge into a more aggressive realm of groove metal with 1990′s ‘Cowboys From Hell’ and the 1992 album ‘Vulgar Display of Power,’ “Diamond” just didn’t seem to fit the band’s developing sound. With that in addition to the guitarists affinity for the ‘Sweet Leaf,’ Darrell Abbott changed his nickname to “Dimebag” in 1994.

Source

I still have the issue of Guitar World when he asked everyone to start calling him Dimebag.

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
From NRG, here's an artist's rendering of what the stadium will look like once signage is changed. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjHrP7JCEAI1VGj.jpg

BjHrP7JCEAI1VGj.jpg

All of this old bar/club nostalgia makes me pine for the Engine Room. Great metal bar that used to be on Pease.

Drove by it the other day and saw it abandoned. Got turned into a jazz club for a while.

The metal scene scuttlebutt a few years ago involved altercations with Lamb of God and the Dillinger Escape Plan with management. In reality, I'm sure it was their constant violation of the fire code and overselling that got them shut down.

Driving by the shell of the Meridian on 59 is always depressing.

Back