Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pro Day performances

A lot of the pro day numbers that are comming in seem to reinforce the view that the track at the combine was slower than the old Super Dome.

Michael Johnson combine 4.75
NFL.com
Johnson measured in at 6-foot-6 7/8 and 266 pounds, and he had 40-yard dash times of 4.61 and 4.64 seconds.

Sean Smith Combine 4.53
NFL.com
Smith measured in at 6-foot-3 1/2 and 209 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 and 4.49 seconds. He had a 32-inch vertical with a 9-foot-5 broad jump. He participated in position drills but did not do any shuttle drills save for the 60-yard shuttle.

Paul Kruger Combine 4.86
NFL.com
Kruger, at 6-4 1/2 and 260 pounds, ran 40 times of 4.80 and 4.79. He had a 32-inch vertical leap, 9-1 broad jump and did 22 repetitions of 225 pounds. He did not participate in shuttle drills.

William Moore Combine 4.53
NFL.com
One player who performed really well was S William Moore. He looked good in his positional drills and was impressive overall. He measured in at 6-foot and a 1/2-inch, 221 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 and 4.49 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.94 seconds. He also posted a 10-foot, 6-inch broad jump.

Rashad Jennings Combine 4.60
NFL.com
Another player benefitting from positional coaches coming to watch him work out was Liberty’s Rashad Jennings, who also opened eyes at the combine. He worked out Tuesday in front of six teams, including the Panthers and their RB coach Jim Skipper. He worked out on an indoor track. He weighed 231 pounds, ran a 4.52 in the 40 and a 6.79 in the three-cone drill.

The Sooners have their Pro Day today(March 10).

Ohio St. Pro day info:

http://blog.dispatch.com/buckeyesblog/2009/03/quickie_pro_day_update.shtml

Beanie Wells apparently was the most impressive of the big-name guys. He said he ran in the 4.34 to 4.40 range in the 40, which is significantly better than his 4.59 at the combine. Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz singled Beanie out as looking fast, and coaches don't generally talk about specific players, so that means something.

-- Everyone's times went down. Surprise, surprise. James Laurinaitis said the track at Lucas Oil Stadium at Indianapolis felt "soft" and slow. Most players ran on FieldTurf here, just so scouts could directly compare their times to the Indy FieldTurf times.

-- That said, Laurinaitis said he ran a 4.68 and a 4.72, better than his 4.80 at Indy.

-- Malcolm Jenkins reported 4.48 to 4.51, better than the 4.55 at Indy.

Other sources put Wells 2 40 times at 4.39, and 4.38. Interesting that this was on field turf, and not a rubber track as some sources had suggested. Jenkins sub 4.5 should be enough to dispel most of the FS talk about him. Laurinaitis may have stopped his free fall out of day 1 with his adequate time.

times are relative to the conditions, its like US Open conditions compared to a regular tour event scores go higher, hence the same with times. the important thing is how they relate to each other under the same conditions. I you just take the combine numbers @ Lucas adjust for the slow track & take off one tenth of a sec. its gonna be more in line with peoples expectations. Deion Sanders knew immediately something was wrong with the times because he had worked with the corners & knew they had some 4.3 runners yet nobody could crack 4.4 :jogger:

Umm.. so does this mean we're going to have a few receivers run 4.2 lows? Heyward-Bey really ran a 4.30 on a slow surface?

In general most people run better at their pro day. Probably because coaches can set things up the way the player wants (wind, etc.). Rarely does someone shart the bed at a pro day.

Deon reportedly ran a 4.19 don't see why thats not in the realm of human possiblity?

I know it's not impossible, but if the track really was slow at the combine that means that we could have had 4 receivers run 4.2 40's. When is the last time something like that happened?

Unless I am mistaken, these players will be running on grass when playing in NFL games. Grass is softer than the track at the combine, so the combine track is probably a better proxy for an NFL field than the tracks that the universities are prepping for their pro days.

Just saying.

Maybin runs 4.58 40 at Penn Pro day.

Unless I am mistaken, these players will be running on grass when playing in NFL games. Grass is softer than the track at the combine, so the combine track is probably a better proxy for an NFL field than the tracks that the universities are prepping for their pro days.

Just saying.

There are many different kinds of grass, hard/soft fieldturf, and astroturf used in the NFL. The length of the grass can also make a huge difference within the same kind of grass. Some are faster than Indies fieldturf, while some are slower.

The reason it's important to note a slow track at the new home of the combine vs the old home is so you can accurately compare this years prospects to last years. Once you adjust for the difference this is no longer a really slow class as some draftniks had initially freaked out over.

Carl Landry this week ran several blocks at 2.0 speed with a bullet in his leg. It just takes incentative.

UCONN had it's pro day today

Donald Brown: 17 Reps

Darius Butler: ran a 4.38 40-yard dash

Will Beatty: 30 reps

Cody Brown: 36 inch vertical

Those are the main guys and then here are a couple of other guys who could get drafted in the later rounds:

DE Julius Williams: 41 inch vertical, 36 Reps
S Dahna Delston: 20 reps, 36 inch vertical, 4.45 vertical

Those are the main guys and then here are a couple of other guys who could get drafted in the later rounds:

Dayumm!

Who is this Julius Williams and what is his deal?

He was the starting end opposite Cody Brown for UCONN. Definitely played in Brown's shadow but was very good as a pass rusher and was good against the run (though his body seems more fit as a 3-4 OLB). 6 sacks and 41 tackles his senior season and missed the combine by one vote. He seemed to be a late 5th-6th round pick but I don't think anyone expected a workout like that from him so I don't know where his stock is now.

Umm.. so does this mean we're going to have a few receivers run 4.2 lows? Heyward-Bey really ran a 4.30 on a slow surface?
FWIW, on 1560 they were talking to someone on the ground at the combine - I think it was Michael Lombardi or Alonzo Highsmith or someone - who said that since the field was so new it was pretty inconsistent, and you would have one player run on a good surface to have the next run on a torn up/crappy surface.

I don't know if those inconsistencies affected groups (by position) or if it was inconsistent from one player to the next.

But, that might be something to consider when viewing these times.

Just keep it in perspective. The guy could have arms down to his feet. If they measure the player's vertical jump from his height to the apex, like most folks/entities do, then they are not taking into consideration arm length.

But yeah, dayumm on those two measurements, because if he has long arms and can throw up 36 reps then he is a workout warrior. :)

Ohio St. Pro day info:

http://blog.dispatch.com/buckeyesblog/2009/03/quickie_pro_day_update.shtml

Other sources put Wells 2 40 times at 4.39, and 4.38. Interesting that this was on field turf, and not a rubber track as some sources had suggested. Jenkins sub 4.5 should be enough to dispel most of the FS talk about him. Laurinaitis may have stopped his free fall out of day 1 with his adequate time.

The surface at OSU is notoriously fast. Remember Maurice Clarett ran fast there after burning a 4.8/4.9 at the combine. Not saying these guys numbers are flawed in any way, just pointing it out.

Just keep it in perspective. The guy could have arms down to his feet. If they measure the player's vertical jump from his height to the apex, like most folks/entities do, then they are not taking into consideration arm length.

But yeah, dayumm on those two measurements, because if he has long arms and can throw up 36 reps then he is a workout warrior. :)

I thought everybody measured from your reach.

We never did it any other way when we tested in high school (5 years ago).

Um. Huh?

whenever I've had my vert measured, the coach measured how high the tips of my fingers were on my upraised hand and then measured how high the tips of my fingers were when I jumped and then calculated the difference for the vertical.

Do they do it differently in the NFL?

Texas held their Pro Day today. All 32 teams sent at least one representative.

Brian Orakpo did the broad jump since he couldn't do it at the combine. He got 10'10", which would have placed him first among defensive linemen at the combine. He has a private workout set up with Cleveland and will also be flying to Miami, Kansas City, and Denver.

Quan Cosby only ran the short shuttle and timed a 4.20. He will have a private workout with Denver soon.

Roy Miller timed a 4.88 in the 40 despite weighing in at 313 pounds.

Henry Melton ran a 4.58 at 269 pounds and also had a 34 inch vertical and did 23 bench reps. He will be visiting Chicago, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and Dallas.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...horns/entries/2009/03/25/observations_fr.html

Last edited:
I thought everybody measured from your reach.

We never did it any other way when we tested in high school (5 years ago).

Um. Huh?

whenever I've had my vert measured, the coach measured how high the tips of my fingers were on my upraised hand and then measured how high the tips of my fingers were when I jumped and then calculated the difference for the vertical.

Do they do it differently in the NFL?

As a former basketball recruiter, scout and agent vertical jump was a significant consideration for certain positions and going around the country and world found there were anything but standards. That was almost a decade ago, but I still would get the definition of vertical jump when things get broken out to the pro days and individual peformances.

My statement was not a knock on the NFL, but to take consideration of standards and definitions when workouts start scattering across the country.

Quan Cosby only ran the short shuttle and timed a 4.20. He will have a private workout with Denver soon.

Roy Miller timed a 4.88 in the 40 despite weighing in at 313 pounds.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...horns/entries/2009/03/25/observations_fr.html

I hope we can get Roy Miller man. If you ask me, he was the most consistent DL on Texas last year. He was great in the redzone also.

I would love to have a quality player like Quan on The Texans. He will do what is asked of him and he makes plays. He goes hard.

One thing I liked about Orakpo was that he stated he wanted a chance to get Vince in The NFL. I liked that. Unfortunately he probably will not be given that chance because he's 2nd string now.

I hope we can get Roy Miller man. If you ask me, he was the most consistent DL on Texas last year. He was great in the redzone also.

I would love to have a quality player like Quan on The Texans. He will do what is asked of him and he makes plays. He goes hard.

One thing I liked about Orakpo was that he stated he wanted a chance to get Vince in The NFL. I liked that. Unfortunately he probably will not be given that chance because he's 2nd string now.

Roy Miller was easily the most consistent player on the Texas defense. I think he will be harder to replace than Orakpo because he has a more complete set of skills.

Orakpo is more talented than Miller, but Roy is one of those guys that is very good at everything and great at nothing. That's not a knock. He's just a solid player. Guys like him fall a little bit in the draft because they don't stand out from the rest of the pack, but he is going to be a real player in the NFL.

I love Cosby. I think he is similar to Wes Welker, but maybe not quite as talented. He has good but not great speed, he will get down and dirty on running plays, he has great hands, he isn't afraid to take a pop, and he has experience as a return man. His age will drop him, but he will be a steal for whoever picks him up.

The only way Orakpo gets a shot at Vince is if his team plays the Titans in the preseason.

Mike Hamlin at Clemson Pro Day.

3/24/2009 - Clemson Pro day: Michael Hamlin was not sure how Tuesday's Pro Day at Clemson was going to work after he came up gimpy nine days ago at the Athletes Performance Center in Pensacola, Fla. "After last Sunday, I was not even expecting to work out today," the former Clemson safety said. "I got more done than I expected." But Hamlin, who hurt his hamstring, said he started feeling better early last week and decided he was going to suck it up and make the best of it. It's a good thing he did because it appears he quite possibly helped his status for April's NFL Draft. "Hopefully, I have moved myself up a little bit," he said. He must have done something right because scouts from Houston, Dallas, Miami and Cincinnati all approached him Tuesday and talked to him about how he could fit in their system. He plans to try and meet with each of them again in the coming weeks. Hamlin has already spoken to Seattle, New England, San Diego, Chicago, Pittsburgh and the New York Jets. In all, there were 25 teams in attendance to watch more than 20 former Clemson players workout in hopes of trying to improve their stock in the draft or maybe earn an invitation for a free agent tryout after the draft. Hamlin, who only did position drills, hopes the three-hour session moved him up the draft board. "I got to the point where I just sucked it up and did as much as I could today," he said. - Will Vandervort, CUTigers.com

Hamlin is one of the 2 Safeties that I really like in this draft. He would be a great fit as a playmaking SS who can cover and support the run.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/s...nter-eric-wood-to-for-a-private-workout/8638/

I guess I'm the only one who likes the guy....but after his proday I'm predicting we'll have no shot at the guy if the draft goes as McClain is predicting.

Analysis
Positives: Taller than most centers, but not too upright in pass protection and can still cut block. Works hard on every play, and goes through the whistle. Gets off the ball quickly and gets into the numbers of his man. Can drive back smaller tackles and sustain. Leader of the line and makes the calls. Permanent team captain in 2008. Solid anchor, using his arms and feet to keep tackles on the line. Will pancake smaller tackles when he gets the inside shoulder. Uses his hands and feet to position blockers, creating holes inside. Picks up late blitzers up the middle. Reliable snap to the quarterback.

Negatives: Not as nimble as some teams may want their pivot man. Can adequately combo to the middle linebacker and get in front of screens at the college level, but may have issues handling NFL speed in the open field. Only adequate in getting his pads low to drive block, and could improve there.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Bradley Flecher had a prety fair proday at Iowa. I believe he'll be there in the fourth.

Last edited:
I hope we can get Roy Miller man. If you ask me, he was the most consistent DL on Texas last year. He was great in the redzone also.[QUOTE/]

the 4.88 puts him range of what they want in the LDE. Very raw though.

I would love to have a quality player like Quan on The Texans. He will do what is asked of him and he makes plays. He goes hard..

who do you cut.....I like him too....but somebody gotta go if you take him.
Same deal with dillard and casey....take them and you can't keep the extra OL or TE. Just saying.

Well if McClain is accurate, even if he's there at fifteen...or Buffallo would pass on him...they won't take him. Or move up to go get hm.

who do you cut.....I like him too....but somebody gotta go if you take him.
Same deal with dillard and casey....take them and you can't keep the extra OL or TE. Just saying.

That's a good point. Our FO does seem to be paying an awful lot of attention to receivers in this draft though. I have a pretty good feeling that we will draft a WR at some point in this draft. We should probably start a thread on which receiver we think would get the axe if that happened.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/s...nter-eric-wood-to-for-a-private-workout/8638/

I guess I'm the only one who likes the guy....but after his proday I'm predicting we'll have no shot at the guy if the draft goes as McClain is predicting.

Analysis
Positives: Taller than most centers, but not too upright in pass protection and can still cut block. Works hard on every play, and goes through the whistle. Gets off the ball quickly and gets into the numbers of his man. Can drive back smaller tackles and sustain. Leader of the line and makes the calls. Permanent team captain in 2008. Solid anchor, using his arms and feet to keep tackles on the line. Will pancake smaller tackles when he gets the inside shoulder. Uses his hands and feet to position blockers, creating holes inside. Picks up late blitzers up the middle. Reliable snap to the quarterback.

Negatives: Not as nimble as some teams may want their pivot man. Can adequately combo to the middle linebacker and get in front of screens at the college level, but may have issues handling NFL speed in the open field. Only adequate in getting his pads low to drive block, and could improve there.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Bradley Flecher had a prety fair proday at Iowa. I believe he'll be there in the fourth.

Don't know why you assume you're the only person who likes Wood. Plenty of people here, including myself, have expressed interest in Eric Wood.

And I don't like to toot my own horn too often, but I've been on the Bradley Fletcher bandwagon for a long long time. I had him rated as a 4th/5th rounder since before his performance at the Shrine Game. After his pro day, he has cemented himself as a 4th rounder or better in my book.

So are you posting you would be comfortible passing on a CB in the first if you were prety sure this guy would be on the board say in the fourth?

Yeah, Jenkins would be a major catch. Davis seems like a work out guy.
I like Davis the prospect but apparently he has a bad attitude and is sort of a primadonna. Does anyone have more specific examples though? I don't want a player if he's thinking of him first and not willing to take direction from the coaches. I want a guy who wants to play football and be a sponge-soak up all the knowledge he can.

I like Davis the prospect but apparently he has a bad attitude and is sort of a primadonna. Does anyone have more specific examples though? I don't want a player if he's thinking of him first and not willing to take direction from the coaches. I want a guy who wants to play football and be a sponge-soak up all the knowledge he can.

I've heard the same things.

The only specifics I know is that the Illinois coaching staff benched him this season because of lack of effort on the field and in practice.

I'd love for any team I'ma fan of to get Casey from Rice. Danny Arnold, who trains him, says he is first in, last out daily and the other day waited for guys to leave the training room after 2 workouts because he wanted to be the last out. He also threw..being a high school QB for scouts yesterday. This is the type guy you need

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/rice/6345395.html

Rice football coach David Bailiff watched closely as James Casey threw passes during the team’s pro day Thursday.

With a total of 35 NFL scouts littering the field at Rice Stadium, Casey launched one pass after another toward his targets downfield. It was Casey’s idea to throw, showcasing yet another of his talents. And scouts kept a watchful eye, realizing just why Bailiff had hoped Casey would return to Rice for one more season and become the Owls’ starting quarterback.

“He threw the ball pretty well,” said C.O. Brocato, Tennessee Titans national coordinator of college scouting. “He threw the long ball down the road. That isn’t any problem.

“I thought he was just what he was. Runs good routes, catches the ball, nothing fancy. Just plays football. And that’s what I like — football players.”

It was the first time scouts were able to see Casey throw, and it was the highlight of a pro day in which 28 NFL teams sent scouts. Three other Owls — Jarett Dillard, Chase Clement and Brian Raines — also participated. UH will hold its pro day for NFL scouts today.

Casey, who is slated to be drafted as an H-back or tight end, was aggressive in his pro day — asking to throw some passes and even running the 40-yard dash again. He recorded a faster 40 time on some stopwatches than he had at the NFL scouting combine in February, and his strong arm and accuracy also interested those watching.

Continuing on a local note, here's a blurb on UH's pro day from Gil Brandt of NFL.com:

One name to keep in mind is OL Sebastian Vollmer (6-7 1/2, 312 pounds), who came to the Cougars from Dusseldorf, Germany. He was a European high school all-star who took a redshirt year in 2004 and missed the entire 2006 season because of a back injury. With his athletic ability and long arms, Vollmer is a guy who is worth targeting in the sixth or seventh round of the draft. He’s a player who could be a starter and a solid player for years to come or a guy who could play for two years and never be heard from again.

Vollmer turned in times of 5.13 and 5.16 seconds in the 40-yard dash and also had a 36 1/2-inch vertical and a 9-foot, 3-inch broad jump. He had a 4.50 short shuttle and a 7.51 three-cone drill, and he did 32 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press.
The Texans need a 4th OT, and Vollmer is the type of raw athlete I'd like to see Alex Gibbs mold for a year or two.

From the link above, San Diego State's OG Lance Louis is a TE convert. And we know Gibbs likes TE converts.

OL Lance Louis (6-2 3/8, 303) drew a lot of attention from scouts interested in his speed. He ran a 4.76 and 4.80 in the 40-yard dash, a 4.71 in the short shuttle and 8.03 in the three-cone drill. Lewis also posted a 30-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 8-inch broad jump and 30 bench press lifts.
I saw a link, I believe in this forum, that listed all of the combine numbers including 10 & 20 yard splits. Has anyone else seen that?

I just got through looking at some video of J. Williams he looks like a real sleeper. What was his 10-20 yard splits & 40 time?

I think he may be a good pick in the 5th or 6th rd.

Biggers Turning Combine Snub Into Big Buzz
Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2009, 6:42 p.m.
Western Michigan cornerback E.J. Biggers wasn’t invited to the Scouting Combine.

But he already has been invited to visit with three teams.

Per a league source, Biggers has scheduled visits with the Buccaneers, Chargers, and Texans.

And the buzz on Biggers is building after he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.35 seconds at his Pro Day Workout.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/28/biggers-turning-combine-snub-into-big-buzz/

Anyone know much about this guy?

It's hard for me to judge these WM guys.

It just so happens that I got to watch the season opener in 07 against Slaton at W. Virginia and the opener in 08 against Nebraska.

Neither Delmas nor Biggers were any good in those two games (but both were season openers). I had mentioned before that Londen Fryar (son of Irving Fryar) might be a CB to watch. I'm not sold on any of that trio. But considering this:

WM lost at W Virginia (and Slaton) 24-62 in 07
WM lost at Nebraska 24-47 in 08

Fryar did not make any major mistake whether on or off the ball (that I can remember, and hence my interest in him.)
Delmas was torched by both Pat White and Slaton (ran over, ran past) and was burned for a TD against Nebraska.
Considering the scores, you just know that Biggers didn't do much good!\

But again, two games are hardly indication.
Most likely though, I will venture to say, Biggers won't be a starter in the NFL.
Delmas, I'm iffy... I just don't see him catching Slaton and the likes off the corner or in midfield. (He did have pretty good position to start with.)

Maybe I'm too harsh, but I want a guy with a better chance on Slaton (and Pat White.)
In restropect, yeah if Delmas can be a starter in the NFL, then my take on Slaton wasn't too bad!

I can go back and look at the games again concerning Biggers but I suspect it wouldn't be pretty.

This CB would certainly be the type who we should take a look at.

Utah’s Smith In Demand

University of Utah cornerback Sean Smith is drawing heavy interest from NFL teams, according to a league source.

Smith has been scheduled for visits with the Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles, Baltimore Ravens and the Seattle Seahawks.

The Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns, Eagles and the Dolphins are among the teams that have set up private workouts with Smith.

Listed at nearly 6′4 and 214 pounds, Smith is one of the most imposing cornerbacks to enter the draft in recent league history.

Smith was clocked in 4.43 seconds during his campus Pro Day workout, improving upon his 4.50 time at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Over the past two seasons, the former wide receiver intercepted nine passes and knocked down 15 passes.

Smith registered a 34-inch vertical leap at the combine and a 9-11 broad jump.

This CB would certainly be the type who we should take a look at.

Utah’s Smith In Demand

University of Utah cornerback Sean Smith is drawing heavy interest from NFL teams, according to a league source.

Smith has been scheduled for visits with the Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles, Baltimore Ravens and the Seattle Seahawks.

The Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns, Eagles and the Dolphins are among the teams that have set up private workouts with Smith.

Listed at nearly 6′4 and 214 pounds, Smith is one of the most imposing cornerbacks to enter the draft in recent league history.

Smith was clocked in 4.43 seconds during his campus Pro Day workout, improving upon his 4.50 time at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Over the past two seasons, the former wide receiver intercepted nine passes and knocked down 15 passes.

Smith registered a 34-inch vertical leap at the combine and a 9-11 broad jump.

Very impressive. I haven't seen him play, but how quick is he, and does he change directions fast with his length?

Back