Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason Game 3 Thread: Texans @ Broncos

PowerfulDragon said:
Why does carr always start the game like a scared child but end up playing decently? why can't he just be good? I really want to like the guy. He makes it hard sometimes.

I think we should support Carr at least a couple of games into the season.

PowerfulDragon said:
Why does carr always start the game like a scared child but end up playing decently? why can't he just be good? I really want to like the guy. He makes it hard sometimes.
I totally agree with this statement . I think Carr feels the weight on his shoulders and he plays like it . I think he is talented and if he can get back his confidence he'll be fine . Some times you have to decide ... screw it I'm going to be a player come hell or high water . He needs to get mad and stop the Biggio cliches .

Its interesting that Mario seems to be handling the scrutiny pretty good . That he just plugs along and gets better . I thought Mario would be the one to ride the roller coaster .

thunderkyss said:
I think we should support Carr at least a couple of games into the season.

Well, Plummer says it takes a year to learn the Kubiak system. I'm giving Carr the whole year.
Check his stats last year on a two win team with 60+ sacks. He'll do better this year.
And no, Carr haters, most of those sacks weren't his fault. Maybe 10 were Carr's fault.

"If Carr can play up to his potential".....how many freakin' times do i have to hear that ?!?!?!....I actually liked what I saw out of Carr last night...despite having a rough start he bounced back and actually looked like a decent starting NFL caliber QB...I haven't really had time to really look at the game in detail, but some things I noticed...

1) AJ has got to step up; no way that DB should have broken up that long pass play 2) Carr needs to relax, and not try to win games..he needs to learn how to be a manager and get the ball to his playmakers(like he did in the second quater) 3) need to be more disciplined in important situations(as a team) 4) Mario needs to make more plays... he was the #1 overall, and I expect him to play like it...contrary to what some members on the board have said about being happy with him just drawing double teams...I expect him to totally dominate most of his opposition; Not this year, but I do expect to see improvement from one week to the next...last night he had some decent pressure, but some of those almost sacks need to start turning into actual sacks...

xtruroyaltyx said:
"If Carr can play up to his potential".....how many freakin' times do i have to hear that ?!?!?!....I actually liked what I saw out of Carr last night...despite having a rough start he bounced back and actually looked like a decent starting NFL caliber QB...I haven't really had time to really look at the game in detail, but some things I noticed...

He didn't start looking good till Denver's second team was on the field.

thunderkyss said:

Only Carr's last drive of the game was against the 2nd team. His 69 yd drive to end the half was against the 1st team. He did not have a good game but no need to change the facts, his improvement as the game progressed started against the 1st team.

thunderkyss said:

T'is true. But take out that little detail, and Carr looked like somewhat, almost, kinda like a borderline pro-bowler...

Carr is going to be fine. Will he be the #1 QB in the league? I doubt it. He doesn't have to be. All Carr need to do is run the offense. I believe he will be able to do this.

Let's look at what happened last night. About as bad a start as possible. Most people would have just crumbled. I was depressed after the interception. I told my son, "Well, thats it. He's done. He won't make another good decision for the rest of the night." What did he do? Nothing but lead the team on a 70 yard 16 play drive that should have ended in 7. Penalties screwed the drive. Even though we only got 3 points I then was impressed with how Carr regrouped himself and got the team going. This was some mental toughness that not everybody has. How many other QBs would have just seemingly erased the horrid start and drove the team down the field like that. Brady, Farve, Palmer, Rothlisburger, Manning (ugh) maybe a few others. How about Plummer? Nope. Culpepper? Maybe. Bledsoe? Doubt it.

My point here is not to say that Carr is a Brady or a Palmer or a Manning but he does have something to work with. Remember Kubiak advised that the Texans should sign Carr to that extension. Most believe that Kubiak knows what he doing so I am going to give Kubiak and Carr a chance to make it work before I pass judgement.

I've got it.... a way to improve Carr and get him over his 1st quarter jitters...Have Mario sack him in the locker room before each game and then remind him, that's about as bad as it gets, now go play:hides:

Yes, I finally saw a game (retiring to Cowboy country has given me second thoughts about moving back to Houston!), and yes I saw things that I didn't like out of Carr, our offensive line, and encroachments by our defense. But was it enough to make an intelligent analysis of the team overall?
I believe we've exaggerated what our defense did last night, and we've been far too critical of our offense. With all the hype about this being the game we'd see what we can do against a class team, we've forgotten some obvious points. Our defense looked pretty decent last night because they've practiced against this offense daily in TC. Our offense suffered for the same reason, their defense was quite prepared to stop us. With that said, it's very difficult to formulate an opinion of either at this point, and with the last game being used to take a final look at some players trying to make the team, we won't have any idea what they can do until the season starts. With our schedule, more especially the first half of the season against some quality playoff teams from last year, I fear we're in for a long season of wondering.

Back