Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pre-season 8/9/2013, Game 1 vs Vikings: Top 5 things you are interested in seeing?

This broadcast the audio keeps on glitching. \

One thing I can say for sure is that Yates isn't throwing balls hitting the receivers in stride. Most are close to the ground or just a hair behind. Yards after the catch are minimal. And I wouldn't point to the TD to Deandre. That ball was actually under thrown, and if it weren't DeAndre (despite the fact that he could have easily been called for OPI, and probably would have been in a regular season game), it may have been intercepted.

And I wouldn't point to the TD to Deandre. That ball was actually under thrown, and if it weren't DeAndre (despite the fact that he could have easily been called for OPI, and probably would have been in a regular season game), it may have been intercepted.

Think I am going to have to disagree and say trying to make that into leading him in stride would have made an INT more likely than throwing it as a jump ball.

Garrett grahm is nice. I think he could be in for a breakout season. Lestar Jean drops a catch in his grill. He's a body catcher. Catches the next one.

Bullock can make the 54 yarder I think. A bit less trajectory. It was dead on the money, but was just a bit short.

1st half over. Good showing for the team overall. Of course there are issues and mistakes to get worked out. Besides the kicking, special teams looks as bad as it did last year. Maybe a bit worse. Yates looked pretty good overall. I'm going to have to see what this keenum fuss is about now, because I thought Yates was a plus.

Bullock's kick hit right at the forward crack of the "K" and outside the left goal post..........5 yds into the EZ. That's off and short even for a 50 yd FG.

Last edited:
Didn't like that hitch in his step on keenums first bootleg. It wasn't very smooth and cost him a second or two. Didn't look natural to him.

He was chased out of the pocket and mad a nice throw on the run. That's a type of play I think he can only make.

Trevardo cannot play against the run. He's like a little bug out there against the run. He's strictly a speed pass rush guy right now. That's it.

Bouye had a better game than Carmichael to this point.

And I wouldn't point to the TD to Deandre. That ball was actually under thrown, and if it weren't DeAndre (despite the fact that he could have easily been called for OPI, and probably would have been in a regular season game), it may have been intercepted.

Matt Cassell tried to make a similar throw to Corderelle Patterson on the other side line. It was too far ahead & to far inside for Patterson to make a play on the ball without going through Bouye. It was a poorly thrown ball.

Tj, like Cassell, was throwing the ball to a spot. he can't really over throw it, or underthrow it. It's Hopkins' responsibility to go get it. Hopkins was able to make a play on the ball, hence the ball was placed exactly where it needed to be.

By no means will a throw like that ever be considered a remarkable throw (unless Flacco throws it in the play offs) that play is more about the WR, that's the way it's drawn up, that's the way it's taught.

Thank goodness for NFLN. If it weren't for them and their 1st replay of the Texans game tonight at 11:00 I'd be throwing a major fit right now....lol. :overreact:

Damned Houstonians. You would think the team played there or something. :fans:

Think I am going to have to disagree and say trying to make that into leading him in stride would have made an INT more likely than throwing it as a jump ball.

That's the best way to put it..... it was a jump ball, from the minute they called that play in the huddle. TJ wasn't trying to hit Hop in stride.

Gardner & White opened up that highway for Wood to run through?

Minny D-line looking pretty bad here. Real bad.
telephone07.gif

Dang Joel Meyers... those glasses...
I haven't seen lenses that thick since I worked on the Hubble Space Telescope...

Willie dropped back into coverage quite a bit.

Braman and trevardo rushing from the edges in a passing situation...they exploded off the line. I liked that. A lot. It ended up being a screen, but just the burst they had off the line was nice to see.

Keyshawn Martin still looks scared to catch the ball in traffic.

Broadcast is still garbage.
From what I hear about these two guys, I'd run a draw or delay right at them on 2nd or 3rd down with medium or long to go. That burst off the line lends itself to giving up longer runs when it's right at them. If either one can show that they can set the edge or have anything other than a speed rush, maybe that will change. As it is right now, I'd pick up my 6+ YPC going right where they were, pre-snap. Just my :twocents:

From what I hear about these two guys, I'd run a draw or delay right at them on 2nd or 3rd down with medium or long to go. That burst off the line lends itself to giving up longer runs when it's right at them. If either one can show that they can set the edge or have anything other than a speed rush, maybe that will change. As it is right now, I'd pick up my 6+ YPC going right where they were, pre-snap. Just my :twocents:

Key word there was passing situation. I don't care who is on the field. If offenses want to take the ball out of the hands of their qb's to run draws in third and longs, that's a win for us.

Key word there was passing situation. I don't care who is on the field. If offenses want to take the ball out of the hands of their qb's to run draws in third and longs, that's a win for us.
Understood in my response. I'd run a draw or delay right at those guys in a "pass situation". They will be moving up field in a hurry and leaving a vacuum behind them. They have to show more than one move before opposing O's will respect them. Braman has a bull rush, Williams is more of a speed rush. QB sees who's in and adjusts accordingly. 1st down.

Understood in my response. I'd run a draw or delay right at those guys in a "pass situation". They will be moving up field in a hurry and leaving a vacuum behind them. They have to show more than one move before opposing O's will respect them. Braman has a bull rush, Williams is more of a speed rush. QB sees who's in and adjusts accordingly. 1st down.

Agree to disagree. Matter of fact, I'd love for another teams star qb to run draws ever third and long. That'd be awesome.

Agree to disagree. Matter of fact, I'd love for another teams star qb to run draws ever third and long. That'd be awesome.

That's cool. What I suggested isn't revolutionary. The old Oilers(Chuck and Duck era) and the Texans do that fairly regularly, with success. Pick your poison and all.

That's cool. What I suggested isn't revolutionary. The old Oilers(Chuck and Duck era) and the Texans do that fairly regularly, with success. Pick your poison and all.

Texans didn't have great success converting running draws on third and long. And if I'm picking a poison ill pick the poison that doesn't involve some teams star qb. If Brady wants to hand the ball of on third down and long all game long, I'm down.

Texans didn't have great success converting running draws on third and long. And if I'm picking a poison ill pick the poison that doesn't involve some teams star qb. If Brady wants to hand the ball of on third down and long all game long, I'm down.
Really? AF has had pretty good success on those plays. So did Slaton. I'm keeping my opinions to Kubiak's tenure.

Really? AF has had pretty good success on those plays. So did Slaton. I'm keeping my opinions to Kubiak's tenure.

Still, we didn't give up too many 3rd & longs to draw plays. I'm with Rey. If they'd rather do that than challenge our secondary, I'm all for it. We'll win most of those, I'm sure of it.

That will work against a lot of teams, but we've got some speed on D & they're all pretty good tacklers.

Still, we didn't give up too many 3rd & longs to draw plays. I'm with Rey. If they'd rather do that than challenge our secondary, I'm all for it. We'll win most of those, I'm sure of it.

That will work against a lot of teams, but we've got some speed on D & they're all pretty good tacklers.
So you can see into the future and tell how rookies are going to do against the run? Remember how well Merci did against it? The argument is about how Braman and Williams will do against the run, not how our offense did against it. I was merely pointing out that we have had success against those kind of players.

Yeah, I missed it too. He's a short throw touch passer like leinhart is. He'll never be able to threaten a team who clouds the middle or forces throws outside the numbers. I was at practice a couple of days ago and its clear his lack of arm pop vs yates in terms of velocity and energy. His inability to stretch the field in any sort of way doesn't blow my skirt up. Oh well,carry on

I got a chuckle out of this. :pop:

I have really enjoyed these types of opinions. My background and
career choice has led me to put more emphasis on data than
opinion -- even expert opinion at that..

I've seen so many folks (even in my circle of friends) that poo poo
Keenum because of his lack of "arm strength" and his "height",
and those are the same folks raving about guys like Russel Wilson.

Keep in mind that Keenum's combine ball velocity was the same as
Wilson's, and Keenum is also taller than Wilson.

The only measureable that I recall being in Wilson's favor was foot
speed.

Given that Gary isn't planning on running read-option any time soon,
I think Case will be just fine in the current system.

I still keep going back to the fact that Gary should take a lesson from
Shanahan, and incorporate some of the schemes Case used in
college from time to time.

He was more successful with it that Kaepernic was at Nevada, so
why not take a shot..

TJ

I got a chuckle out of this. :pop:

Back