Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pre-Combine Mock to #18

I'm really torn between Chris Williams vs. Leodis McKelvin :goodbad:

maybe the combine will provide some clarity :)
Draft 32:
Where is Mendenhall ? I'll be very surprised if the franchise ZBS left tackle gets by the team with the franchise young QB. And with Lepis just hanging up the cleats...perfect storm... need meets value.

@ 245 Derick Harvey either can or can not stand up....lot of money for a situtional pass rusher. At 245 he will never hold the point of attack @ DE....I don't care how tallented he is.

Dream scenario for the Texans. They'd have thier choice of selecting a tallent who has fallen through the cracks or moving down and collecting picks. Lots of players between thirty-two and nintey-nine that could upgrade this football team.

I really don't think McKelvin gets past the jets. They have a history of lining up little Cbs with cover skills. Also, anyone teaches the guy to acually catch the ball, he'll be Darrel Green on the cheap.

Just for the record... If I got no offers for the eighteen, I take DRC in the slot. Cover my Cb hole with an eye to moving him to saftey in a couple of seasons. He ought to be up to 210- 215 by then.

Draft 32:
Where is Mendenhall ?

16. Arizona Cardinals: Rashard Mendenhall HB (Illinois)
The Cardinals are in a similar situation to Detroit, in that they have a bunch of needs and options at a mid-round pick. CB, DE, and OT are all options here as well, but you have to wonder if they can pass on what some consider the best running back in this year's class.

as much effort & time spent researching this pre-combine mock draft with no positive rep, I felt my analysis/resoning was too out there in regards to prospects going higher/lower than y'all anticipate. that 9. Cincinnati Bengals: Phillip Merling DE (Clemson) was very possibly a reach, or that nobody expects 18. Houston Texans: Leodis McKelvin CB (Troy) to be there when the Texans pick. still not comfortable with Rivers slide, buffalo being a viable option but if they don't select him I still see him falling until bpa scenero is unavoidable.

then I found draft 32 mock draft that just come out todaythis- http://www.draft32.com/viewpage.php?page_id=140 made me feel :ok:
I will be real surprised if only one CB is taken before 19 but if we don't sign a starter CB in FA I hope McKelvin is there. As much as I'd hate to pass on Stewart, we have to have a CB. Maybe Stewart and another Bennett in 4th?

The draft is loaded this year.

I would be happy if we could trade down, and snag:
Conner and Groves/Lawerence Jackson in the 2nd

Solidify the front 7.

I will be real surprised if only one CB is taken before 19 but if we don't sign a starter CB in FA I hope McKelvin is there. As much as I'd hate to pass on Stewart, we have to have a CB. Maybe Stewart and another Bennett in 4th?

The gamble with that is that a tallent like godfrey or the red cross like Bowman is going to work out for you the same way Bennit did for us last year. And that my friend is a big "IF". The other little gremblin in the mix is the shophmore jinx. They all go through it to varing degrees.

If they take Stewart...I wouldn't be too upset either. They had him on the disney sports channel last night and he gave a prety good interview. Now you don't know if he's been coached up by a media guy, but he appears on the surface to be a Texan's sort of fella.

Like I've posted befor...what are you going to do with Ahmen ? And are we setting the guy up preciecely as we set up Dominic Davis-Williams ? Asking Stewart to preform like an all pro , behind an o-line with much less than all pro tallent on it. One of these years they have got to either get lucky in the latter rounds on a guy or bang the hole. Going on seven years...now. That's a life time in doggie years.

Just for the record... If I got no offers for the eighteen, I take DRC in the slot. Cover my Cb hole with an eye to moving him to saftey in a couple of seasons. He ought to be up to 210- 215 by then.

Look I get what your saying.

But thats 30 pounds right there. The kid weighs about 185 last I saw. Thats a lot weight to put on & still keep the same speed and athleticism.

The gamble with that is that a tallent like godfrey or the red cross like Bowman is going to work out for you the same way Bennit did for us last year. And that my friend is a big "IF". The other little gremblin in the mix is the shophmore jinx. They all go through it to varing degrees.

If they take Stewart...I wouldn't be too upset either. They had him on the disney sports channel last night and he gave a prety good interview. Now you don't know if he's been coached up by a media guy, but he appears on the surface to be a Texan's sort of fella.

Like I've posted befor...what are you going to do with Ahmen ? And are we setting the guy up preciecely as we set up Dominic Davis-Williams ? Asking Stewart to preform like an all pro , behind an o-line with much less than all pro tallent on it. One of these years they have got to either get lucky in the latter rounds on a guy or bang the hole. Going on seven years...now. That's life a time in doggie years.
Even more so of a gamble on a trade down is the guy(s) you want get snapped up by another team. Say Stewart is there at #18 and we trade with Atlanta as some have mentioned as a possible scenario. Ok, with 3rd pick 2nd round I want Talib at CB, but wait, he was selected by Dallas. So I want Williams or Collins to resolve the LT. Whoops! Someone beat me to them. Well I can go Forte in 3rd and Tony Hill in 4th to resolve two needs. Sorry, we just missed out. I am beginning to think if a franchise type back (Stewart) is there you lock and load with him. We don't have even an average back on this team. Dayne plays pretty well for 1/2 season. Green could be, but do we really want to take that chance? Especially if he is cut June 1st and we then get to add $3.8m. $4m is a serviceable back up player at another need position like OLB or DE. Would you rather have Green or Stewart and say a run stuffing DT?

CB, CB, CB rds 1, 3 & 4 J/K. RB/OT seems likely will be addressed later (Gibbs influnence) rather than sooner, not saying I disagree with you with Stewart, Mendenhall or Chris Williams. I really feel the Texans could easily go CB back to back in this draft (1st & 3rd rd. picks) then take ZBS RB/OT in 4th/5th rd. of course this will hinge on free agency & how effective Rick & Co. are in signing quality free agents who help upgrade this team. I beleive next friday free agency offically begins so then we'll have a better idea how they address needs via the draft :cool:

CB, CB, CB rds 1, 3 & 4 J/K. RB/OT seems likely will be addressed later (Gibbs influnence) rather than sooner, not saying I disagree with you with Stewart, Mendenhall or Chris Williams. I really feel the Texans could easily go CB back to back in this draft (1st & 3rd rd. picks) then take ZBS RB/OT in 4th/5th rd. of course this will hinge on free agency & how effective Rick & Co. are in signing quality free agents who help upgrade this team. I beleive next friday free agency offically begins so then we'll have a better idea how they address needs via the draft :cool:

I dunno. Taking one 4th or 5th round corner may not be enough. That's why I think we should take a corner in the 1st round to make sure we get a quality guy that can come in here and play right away, because we will need it. Taking two corners back to back is just something we can't afford to do. By the time our pick in the 4th round comes up we will only have addressed one position. We can't afford to do that with the needs on this team along the offensive line, running back, and the entire defense.

CB is definitely needed at least before FA. But I'm concerned an exceptional CB will not be there at 18. An exceptional RB or two may be there. Both are needs and it will come down to how Texans determine it. This is most interesting off season so far for me.

I dunno. Taking one 4th or 5th round corner may not be enough. That's why I think we should take a corner in the 1st round to make sure we get a quality guy that can come in here and play right away, because we will need it. Taking two corners back to back is just something we can't afford to do. By the time our pick in the 4th round comes up we will only have addressed one position. We can't afford to do that with the needs on this team along the offensive line, running back, and the entire defense.
What if Talib is there in 1st, we get Forte in 3rd and Tony Hills in 4th. In 5th we go Darnell Terrell a CB whose 2nd position in college was FS? 6'2" 200 4.43. We then have a CB, RB, LT and FS/CB. And of course we sign Lance Briggs in FA for OLB. Could you live with that?

I agree that picking a stud o-lineman or CB would be filling areas of need for the Texans. I am just amazed that Jonathan Stewart would not be the favorite choice. He just seems like a perfect fit for you. Kinda like passing on LT. I'll defer to you guys knowledge of the Texans needs. I'm just surprized to read that he is not an almost unanimous first round choice.

I agree that picking a stud o-lineman or CB would be filling areas of need for the Texans. I am just amazed that Jonathan Stewart would not be the favorite choice. He just seems like a perfect fit for you. Kinda like passing on LT. I'll defer to you guys knowledge of the Texans needs. I'm just surprized to read that he is not an almost unanimous first round choice.

I hear what your saying. I do like both Mendenhall and Stewart for our team and the would really make a huge improvement. But IMO the OL and CB are bigger needs and would make a greater longterm impact for the team.

Our real good CB is probably lost for the whole season (or more) and Bennett was a 4th round draft pick last year but playing quite well. On top of that our secondary was and is absolutely horrible. Additionally, the only person I really see locked in longterm on our OL is Eric Winston at RT (possibly Pitts at LG too). I think building up our OL first would be a good idea before getting that franchise RB.

Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker, and Chris Taylor aren't exciting as a group but I think they are fine with where we are as a team: Building.

Stewart is a first rounder no doubt. I think most people here would agree with that. Stewart is no LT. Stewart is more like Cadillac Williams.

A stud O-lineman and CB aren't the only scenarios. We could really use a first round OLB. Really add some speed to the front seven. We could also use someone like Kenny Phillips.

If we can overlook character flaws, Geno Hayes formally of Florida State will be a steal in the later rounds. By all accounts, he was a better prosepct than Timmons

its interesting to see some players ascending even before the combine workouts begin. this is a time for caution & reserved judgement. Chris Williams is suddenly the latest, greatest OT, after Clady in this talented draft class. feel pretty good projecting him to Denver @ #12 :)

regarding Jonathan Stewart I still maintain the Maruice Jones-Drew comparison. Drew & Stew are both compact, physical runners, thick legs, thick torso, both strong with very little body fat. Drew has better quickness because of his size in comparison to Stewart but I'm guessing top end speed is very similar, physically both carry a pop but Stewart has both weight & strength advantage, thats saying something.

“During the testing and all the things that happen in terms of running and strength and character, he will surpass anybody’s expectations,” Bellotti said.

2007 combine
Adrian Peterson 4.40 / did not lift
Marshawn Lynch 4.46 / 20 reps

2006 combine
Jones-Drew 4.39 / 18 reps
Joseph Addai 4.40 / 18 reps

2005 combine
Ronnie Brown 4.43 / 18 reps
Carnell Williams 4.43 / 19 reps
Maurice Clarett 4.78 / 22 reps

2004 combine
Steven Jackson 4.45 / did not lift

2008 combine- GUESS
Darren McFadden 4.35 / will not lift
Richard Mendenhall 4.40 / 20 reps
Jonathan Stewart 4.39 / 30 reps

2008 combine- GUESS
Darren McFadden 4.35 / will not lift
Richard Mendenhall 4.40 / 20 reps
Jonathan Stewart 4.39 / 30 reps

My guess is that McFadden will run a tad higher but still be sub 4.40 if he runs. Mendenhall should be close to 4.40 but I think he'll lift closer to 22-24? And Stewart my guess will run more closer to a 4.50.

If we can overlook character flaws, Geno Hayes formally of Florida State will be a steal in the later rounds. By all accounts, he was a better prosepct than Timmons

Having watched every game that both players played in, in college, I would say that isn't true at all. Timmons was a much smarter player as a prospect. Geno has speed like Timmons did, but he plays out of position quite a bit, plus he is a bit undersized, Timmons was anything but undersized. Timmons also hit harder, and wraped up better in college. I would say Timmons is a better tackler by quite a margin.

The only reason Timmons didn't start at FSU for his first couple years is Ernie Sims. He was Ernie Sims's backup the year that Ernie came out and did a hell of a job at that. Geno is the typical linebacker that plays well in college because of his speed but has size and character (fight at a bar, I guess it's not that bad) issues.

I like Geno Hayes as a Seminole but I don't like Geno Hayes as a pro prospect.

You want a pro prospect from FSU: Letroy Guion. Redshirt Junior. 6'4 300 lbs. Big physical DT. Eats blockers. Will probably lift over 30 times.

My guess is that McFadden will run a tad higher but still be sub 4.40 if he runs. Mendenhall should be close to 4.40 but I think he'll lift closer to 22-24? And Stewart my guess will run more closer to a 4.50.

I'm going to guess that McFadden runs a 4.42, Mendenhall runs a 4.49, and Stewart runs a 4.51.

i think Stewart has dropped a couple lbs from 235 to 230. He did run a 4.38 and avg'd 4.48 while @ 235. I'd be happy with anything close to 4.5

Atlanta won the coin flip this morning @ the combine, followed by Oakland then KC, setting up forecasted pre-combine mock draft order-

3. Atlanta - Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas 6-2 210

4, Oakland - Sedric Ellis, DT 6-1 308 USC

5. Kansas City - Jake Long, OT 6-7 315 Michigan

the more you research the more interesting the whole draft process becomes, evidently Rodgers-Cromartie shares a condo with Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida, while training for the combine in Lake Buena Vista FL. at the Tom Shaw Performance School at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex. Jenkins says "He was more of a track guy in high school" makes me think we haven't heard the last from the other Cromartie :specnatz:

I have him going to the Titans @ #24 (740). would you trade the 18th (900) pick to Tennessee for the 24th pick + Titans 3rd. (85th-165)? (just suppose they wanted to move up to get one of the top WR prospects in the draft, Malcolm Kelly/DeSean Jackson who I have both taken before their pick)

the more you research the more interesting the whole draft process becomes, evidently Rodgers-Cromartie shares a condo with Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida, while training for the combine in Lake Buena Vista FL. at the Tom Shaw Performance School at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex. Jenkins says "He was more of a track guy in high school" makes me think we haven't heard the last from the other Cromartie :specnatz:

I have him going to the Titans @ #24 (740). would you trade the 18th (900) pick to Tennessee for the 24th pick + Titans 3rd. (85th-165)? (just suppose they wanted to move up to get one of the top WR prospects in the draft, Malcolm Kelly/DeSean Jackson who I have both taken before their pick)

I think they would be completely fine with James Hardy falling to them.

If Stewart is gone at #18, I'd make that trade. I'd take Cromarte at 24 and go for Forte and Tony Hill in third unless Anthony Collins happened to fall to round three. You fill three holes in two rounds and still have 4 & 5 to maybe land significant players. Fourth round has been pretty good for Texans. I would look hard at Darnell Terrell a CB/FS 4.39 and 6 footer 200 lbs. to solidify DB.

I'd take Cromarte at 24 and go for Forte and Tony Hill in third unless Anthony Collins happened to fall to round three. You fill three holes in two rounds and still have 4 & 5 to maybe land significant players. Fourth round has been pretty good for Texans. I would look hard at Darnell Terrell a CB/FS 4.39 and 6 footer 200 lbs. to solidify DB.

Actually... well.... I think... yea... I wouldn't change a darn thing you just posted.

one thing that worrys me when trading down- will your guy still be there? maybe a team between you & that pick wants the same player or another team trades up into the mix for him, either way its risky. so my gut tells me in this scenero (assuming McKelvin is gone) its probably not worth passing on a talent like Cromartie to add a 3rd pick so you take him @ 18 :cool:

Even more so of a gamble on a trade down is the guy(s) you want get snapped up by another team. Say Stewart is there at #18 and we trade with Atlanta as some have mentioned as a possible scenario. Ok, with 3rd pick 2nd round I want Talib at CB, but wait, he was selected by Dallas. So I want Williams or Collins to resolve the LT. Whoops! Someone beat me to them. Well I can go Forte in 3rd and Tony Hill in 4th to resolve two needs. Sorry, we just missed out. I am beginning to think if a franchise type back (Stewart) is there you lock and load with him. We don't have even an average back on this team. Dayne plays pretty well for 1/2 season. Green could be, but do we really want to take that chance? Especially if he is cut June 1st and we then get to add $3.8m. $4m is a serviceable back up player at another need position like OLB or DE. Would you rather have Green or Stewart and say a run stuffing DT?

Ah, yes. The psychology of loss aversion. I know it well. The bright shiny toy might not be there if we drop back, but I believe that some attractive options would be available late in round 1 or in round 2. OT, CB, RB.

Although I would be inclined to buy a round 1 RB jersey (cough**Mendenhall**cough), I hope the team moves in another direction round 1.

Trade back. Heck, I might even purchase a "Tradeback" jersey. :)

All the best,
Rick

--cut--

2007 combine
Adrian Peterson 4.40 / did not lift
Marshawn Lynch 4.46 / 20 reps

I had a crazy thought. Given the uncertainty being talked about last year regarding All Day's collar, I wonder if he did not lift so that he could slide back a bit, to catch on with a team with some chance at winning in the near future.

At some point, the marginal value of a dollar decreases. $60 million, $20 million. You are still rolling in it. Plus, what price do you place on winning?

So, you refuse to lift, slide back, and sign an incentive-laden contract.

Now THAT gets my mental furnace burning some BTUs. Sure, it might be a reach, but then again...might not.

Just a random thought over my morning coffee while The Boy takes a morning nap.
Rick

I had a crazy thought. Given the uncertainty being talked about last year regarding All Day's collar, I wonder if he did not lift so that he could slide back a bit, to catch on with a team with some chance at winning in the near future.

At some point, the marginal value of a dollar decreases. $60 million, $20 million. You are still rolling in it. Plus, what price do you place on winning?

So, you refuse to lift, slide back, and sign an incentive-laden contract.

Now THAT gets my mental furnace burning some BTUs. Sure, it might be a reach, but then again...might not.

Just a random thought over my morning coffee while The Boy takes a morning nap.
Rick

if your ranked the #1 player @ your position agents will often recommend limited particapation, not wanting to risk already established stock value. All Day only had to remind them with impressive 40 that yes, he was something special.

The big problem I see this year, is most experts agree that Long and Williams are the best LT prospects with Claddy and Otah being more RT or Guard, so the Texans only have one real shot at a LT and that is Williams. But at the CB and RB positions there are many to choose from. Mcafadden is the quickest the one most predict to become NFL caliber star RB. But the draft is deep with top quality average NFL speed (4.45 to 4.50) A similar problem exists at CB. Jenkins is the prototypical top guy for CB and then you have 4 or 5 guys that all have good skills but not ideal size or good size but raw skills. The point I'm trying to make is if we can't have Williams or Mcfadden/Mendenhal, we really might as well trade down and save some money and gain a pick.. To me there is still alot of talent from pick 20 to pick 80. A guy like Stewart to me is not in the same class as Mcfadden, but hes also not much better than someone we could easily grab in round 2 or 3. Same goes for the CB's Cromartie is not a start from day one guy and neither are most of the guys in his range. If we get lucky and mckelvin is there, throw the dice maybe he's the answer......and maybe not.

The big problem I see this year, is most experts agree that Long and Williams are the best LT prospects with Claddy and Otah being more RT or Guard, so the Texans only have one real shot at a LT and that is Williams. But at the CB and RB positions there are many to choose from. Mcafadden is the quickest the one most predict to become NFL caliber star RB. But the draft is deep with top quality average NFL speed (4.45 to 4.50) A similar problem exists at CB. Jenkins is the prototypical top guy for CB and then you have 4 or 5 guys that all have good skills but not ideal size or good size but raw skills. The point I'm trying to make is if we can't have Williams or Mcfadden/Mendenhal, we really might as well trade down and save some money and gain a pick.. To me there is still alot of talent from pick 20 to pick 80. A guy like Stewart to me is not in the same class as Mcfadden, but hes also not much better than someone we could easily grab in round 2 or 3. Same goes for the CB's Cromartie is not a start from day one guy and neither are most of the guys in his range. If we get lucky and mckelvin is there, throw the dice maybe he's the answer......and maybe not.

Long is being touted as a lock pro bowler on the right side. The question with him is he is not as fleet of foot as Joe Thomas was last year. Ohat and Clady are the exact opposite of what you have posted. Both have the athletisim to eclipse Long over time as franchise OLTs. Believe what you want.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/combine/buzz.html

There's a Reason He's #1
• Just saw some footage of Michigan OT Jake Long weighing in and one word comes to mind: IMPRESSIVE. Long came in at 6-7 and 313 lbs. and he carries the weight extremely well, almost to the point where he doesn't look like an offensive lineman. I'm not 100% sure but I think I might have even seen a six-pack... There have been rumors swirling for quite a while now that Long is going to work out a lot better than people think and if that winds up being the case those who've been questioning his ability to play left tackle in the NFL might have to reevaluate their opinions.

Hollywood John did everything in his article thursday but make the call. If a frachise type back is there at the eighteen...the Texan's will pick the guy. With all of these guys on the board at Rb I'm not convinced that is the shrewd move though.

and just with which player have the Texan's ever done this ? Hayes would be the first wouldn't he? And with the colapse of Mathis this off season, I highly doubt that the texan's touch, with a ten foot pole, anything that has a red flag on character tagged on him.

I didn't notice Anthony Collins today @ the combine he is my second favorite LT prospect for the Texans after Chris Williams so don't forget about him especially if the Texans do attempt to trade down.

the next three days will be key for the other need positions, RB (Sunday) DE/DT (Monday) & CB (Tuesday).

I didn't notice Anthony Collins today @ the combine he is my second favorite LT prospect for the Texans after Chris Williams so don't forget about him especially if the Texans do attempt to trade down.

the next three days will be key for the other need positions, RB (Sunday) DE/DT (Monday) & CB (Tuesday).

Yeah they didn't show much of Cousins today either. I've already complained about the coverage. The sweetie pies on NFLn won't miss the prety boys today though.

The center from Texas Agricultrual and Mechanical better pray some coach has an unmarried daughter and a PS slot. My advise to the lad is get your application into Massey of Deer Park or Gary Joseph of Katy.

I think they would be completely fine with James Hardy falling to them.

They interviewed Hardy this afternoon. He is very much like A.J. Very unassuming. Takes his blocking as a point of pride and wants to get better at it.
I'll be kinda of surprised if the steelers pass the guy by. Complete opposite of Plaxico in terms of attitude. They do need lineman. But they've been looking for a reciever like Hardy for seven years. Hines Ward can't go on for ever. Father time catches us all. After a seven year search they pass on the perfect prospect ? I dunno about that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NFL_Draft

I like Buba caldwell more and more. Andre is having a very nice off season. I wouldn't give two six packs and a ham sandwich for the brother.

17. Minnesota - Derrick Harvey DE 6-5 252 Florida Really sorry about Udeze (leukemia) James has not been outstanding for them either. when it comes to sack totals @ the end of the day Harvey has the style & speed to be at the top of his class.

wow this guy really impressed me today, talk all you want about Long & Gholston but this guy will be a performer on Sundays. they also said he weighed in 291 lbs. that changes some things in my view, meaning he plays straight up DE in a 4-3, while Long/Gholston fit 3-4 OLB role. Since Merling choose not to compete (groin?) Harvey showed me explosive speed, size to also play 3 technique, strength (31 reps) everything your looking for from a DE he may be the most complete package for Cincinnati @ #9 which would move Merling down to the Vikings (based pick more on need) Harvey demonstrated a high ceiling & bpa for the Bengals.

They interviewed Hardy this afternoon. He is very much like A.J. Very unassuming. Takes his blocking as a point of pride and wants to get better at it.
I'll be kinda of surprised if the steelers pass the guy by. Complete opposite of Plaxico in terms of attitude. They do need lineman. But they've been looking for a reciever like Hardy for seven years. Hines Ward can't go on for ever. Father time catches us all. After a seven year search they pass on the perfect prospect ? I dunno about that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NFL_Draft

I like Buba caldwell more and more. Andre is having a very nice off season. I wouldn't give two six packs and a ham sandwich for the brother.

:heh: @ the Sebastian Janikowski pick.

wow this guy really impressed me today, talk all you want about Long & Gholston but this guy will be a performer on Sundays. they also said he weighed in 291 lbs. that changes some things in my view, meaning he plays straight up DE in a 4-3, while Long/Gholston fit 3-4 OLB role. Since Merling choose not to compete (groin?) Harvey showed me explosive speed, size to also play 3 technique, strength (31 reps) everything your looking for from a DE he may be the most complete package for Cincinnati @ #9 which would move Merling down to the Vikings (based pick more on need) Harvey demonstrated a high ceiling & bpa for the Bengals.

it was a typo... 271 was his weight. still plenty big to play 4-3 DE. we'd have to look hard if he slips to 18

it was a typo... 271 was his weight. still plenty big to play 4-3 DE. we'd have to look hard if he slips to 18

didn't think he looked that big :thisbig: which would explain how he moved so well in every drill, explosive off the edge, real productive player @ Florida. you know, can't beleive I'm saying this, but wouldn't the Texans have to consider him if he was still on the board @ #18? just imagine how good our DL would become :d:

4-3 LB's in pre-combine mock did nothing, Rivers nursing what could be a chronic injury while Connors went home early, sick. feel somewhat satisfied with their positions although they could drop even further than I currently have them slotted.

I have voiced a need for locking in a LT for years. Caught some heat over pushing for a trade down two years ago for LT when Bush seemed to be the #1 pick. LT is a need again but here is how I view it. I think Williams, Clady and Long will be gone by our pick. Baker may be there but is imo a solid LT for years but not a franchise type player. Who know how he will develop but that could be said for all players. I am leery of Oniel Cousins as some evaluators have him playing guard and not LT.

I am concerned one of two things will happen concerning LT, either we over reach and draft a player much higher than he is evaluated so we can say we got a tackle or we wait until later and maybe miss our guy and settle for a project or maybe worse no LT at all. A trade down sounds great but what will the trade be? Just because we think a deal works does not mean the other team will agree. I can very easily see no trade down from #18.

I disagree with your appraisal of Steward and think most people rank him as second best back with Mendenlhall close. All we have to go by (at least most of us) is stats and what others say that we have trusted over years to give us good info. I see Steward as a franchise type back. His speed at 4.48 for 233 lbs is phenomenal. He has combination size/weight as well as speed and quickness.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jonathan-stewart?id=949

To summarize at # 18 there will probably not be a LT or CB that can be labeled "franchise". If Steward or maybe even Mendenhall is there, I say lock and load. I will never go for a good player at a need position when a very good to possibly outstanding player at another need position is available. Kubes has said that he thinks there are several left tackles available for Texans. I am interested in Heath Benedict. From a division two school, he seems to be doing ok last few weeks. 6'5" 321 lbs and 4.99 speed had me do a double take. It would be interesting to see what Gibbs could do with this guy.

just found this article from the Bengals website - http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6657

which supports the idea of taking a DE & from what I saw or didn't see today Harvey is the complete package, don't look for Long or Gholston to slip, given outstanding combine #'s or even if Cincinnati switches to a 3-4 Harvey would be the choice over Merling.

I'm hearing a lot about Branden Albert, an OL who actually played inside at
guard for Virginia most of the time he was there. He has good length (like 6'7"
& 35" arms) and good feet so he might be potetially a LT at the next level.
Thoghts on how he stacks up agaisnt the top OTs ?
BTW, those combine stats for DEs Long & Gholston are pretty impressive but
makes Marios performance in '06 all that more impressive since he did all of those things even though he's 'bout 3 taller & 20-25 lbs. bigger than those
2 guys this year.

makes Marios performance in '06 all that more impressive since he did all of those things even though he's 'bout 3 taller & 20-25 lbs. bigger than those
2 guys this year.

I believe Albert was asked whether he thought of himself as a OT or a OG & he said guard.

Either way, the kid looks dominant.

Brandon Albert could easily sneek into the 1st rd. he showcased his athletic ability, speed & other measureables @ the combine. could slot him in Collins spot for Pittsburgh, Bakers spot, San Fransciso or Super Bowl champion Giants.

2 guys this year.

I really like Branden Albert a lot. He's got excellent size and may even be TOO tall for guard. Very athletic and looked very fluid during the 3-cone drill. He's definitly 1st round material and might not even last to 18. If Kubiak and Gibbs thought he was BPA at the time we select, I think he would really help our OL out. Starting out at Guard (which currently is NOT a strength on our team) at the beginning of the season and maybe getting some reps in at Left Tackle.

I'm not sure what the protypical arm length should look like for a Left Tackle but 35" sound great. In relation to...

Robert Gallery- 31" (said to be short)
Marcus McNeill- 33"
Joe Thomas- 33"
Jake Long- 35"

Branden Albert and Rashard Mendenhall are two of my favorite prospects right now.

well the combine is now completed for 08. 1st rd. talent moving up the draft boards & mock drafts because of strong combine production in either re-affirmation (Chris Long) or gathering more info about lesser known small school prospects (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie) should improve all y'alls understanding of the 08 draft.

off the top of my head here is my list of prospects who helped themselves-

Chris Long
Darren McFadden
Jake Long
Vernon Gholston
Derrick Harvey
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Chris Williams
Rashard Mendenhall
Jonathan Stewart
Leodis McKelvin
Aqib Talib
Brandon Flowers
Brandon Albert
Chris Johnson
Joe Flacco
Trevor Laws
Ray Rice
Tracy Porter
Dustin Keller
Wesley Woodyard
Andre Caldwell
Kellen Davis
Jordy Nelson
Dexter Jackson
James Hardy
Jamaal Charles
Matt Forte
Marcus Howard
Quentin Groves

well the combine is now completed for 08. 1st rd. talent moving up the draft boards & mock drafts because of strong combine production in either re-affirmation (Chris Long) or gathering more info about lesser known small school prospects (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie) should improve all y'alls understanding of the 08 draft.

off the top of my head here is my list of prospects who helped themselves-

Chris Long
Darren McFadden
Jake Long
Vernon Gholston
Derrick Harvey
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Chris Williams
Rashard Mendenhall
Jonathan Stewart
Leodis McKelvin
Aqib Talib
Brandon Flowers
Brandon Albert
Chris Johnson
Joe Flacco
Trevor Laws
Ray Rice
Tracy Porter
Dustin Keller
Wesley Woodyard
Andre Caldwell
Kellen Davis
Jordy Nelson
Dexter Jackson
James Hardy
Jamaal Charles
Matt Forte
Marcus Howard
Quentin Groves

Limas Sweed, DaJuan Morgan, Josh Barrett.

Back