Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Potential Free Agents

Book smarts and football smarts are different. If he's so smart, how come he turns the ball over so much?

I don't know enough about Fitzpatrick to answer that question, and probably wouldn't answer it anyway because answering it might give the impression that I'm defending Fitz, which is not the case.
On the other hand, O'Brien signed the guy, so my point is proven.

I don't know enough about Fitzpatrick to answer that question, and probably wouldn't answer it anyway because answering it might give the impression that I'm defending Fitz, which is not the case.
On the other hand, O'Brien signed the guy, so my point is proven.

Not really directed at you per se,but when posters says a player is smart because of the school he attended doesn't make sense. FBI and school intelligence are totally different. Fitzgerald is like schaub,just younger,cheaper,and not as good. He's a backup you hope doesn't play much,but know he's a backup. What he knows,he will share with the other qbs on roster. He was ok until he got paid off 8 games in buffalo.

I'm wondering the going rate for issac sopoaga? He's a 0 technique and I think he's 32. He's durable,strong,and great against the run.

Wilfork is restructuring his contract with the Pats.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20140327/NEWS/303289884
Wilfork, 32, gets a new three-year deal worth $22.5 million overall and $3 million guaranteed, according to reports. Wilfork can make a maximum of $8 million in the first year, but does not have any guaranteed money in the final two years, according to ESPN.

When the news about Wilfork refusing to restructure came out, I didn't understand it. I figured he wanted to test FA after finishing his contract, for that last big payday.

But with his injury, his age, & his weight, I didn't think he was going to get a lot & that restructuring with the Patriots was probably the best way to go. Coming off an Achilles, he's not going to be playing like a man should want in a contract year (regardless of how long ago it was).

I'd have thought he would get more than $3M guaranteed, but with Tuck only getting a two year $11M deal... Wifork's three year $22.5M is pretty respectable.

D-Mann takes a pay cut
Talia later had to retract that statement; changing it to "Manning and the Texans are discussing a pay cut". Either her "source" was wrong or she mis-heard what the source told her.

Talia later had to retract that statement; changing it to "Manning and the Texans are discussing a pay cut". Either her "source" was wrong or she mis-heard what the source told her.

she seems to do that a lot

...There are still plenty of guys still out there that can come in and contribute to this team. No reason to get caught up in the feeding frenzy that is the first few days of Free Agency and do something stupid. Here's a list of some guys who are still available. Many of them could be had for cheap if there is slow market for them.

OT
Tyson Clabo, 32

CSN Houston ‏@CSNHouston
Veteran tackle Tyson Clabo visited the #Texans on Thursday. @DZangaro has more: http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/source-clabo-visits-texans …

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Clabo ---> RT @PatDStat: @DZangaro and had his best season under Paul Dunn in Atlanta.

The #Texans need some veteran help and Clabo has started 116 games in his eight-year career.

As @caplannfl said already, a source tells me veteran OT Tyson Clabo visited the #Texans on Thursday.

CSN Houston ‏@CSNHouston

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro

Clabo was always a pretty darn good pass protector and run blocker, but was especially known for his run blocking in the power run scheme. Last year, ProFootballFocus graded him out as the worst OT in the NFL for the first 6 games. It was felt that the reason was because Miami was his first real major exposure to the ZBS. One of the reasons the Falcons released him back when (besides going for more youth) was that they were moving to a ZBS offense and were concerned about his transition to such a system. But, it should be noted that last year he seemed to finally better acclimate to Miami's ZBS later in the season. He has been extremely durable, with only basically one minor short-lived hip injury that never kept him out of a game. At 6'6" and 315 pounds, he would seem to be a perfect fit in the OB offense. As I feel he still has some left in the tank, I'd be in favor of getting this multi-Pro Bowler on board as a strong vet presence and mentor, as well as a competition for the RT vs backup position.

Sign him up. Former pro bowlers who have only been in the league for 8 yrs surely have plenty left in the tank and should be a huge upgrade over Newton.

Looks like BOB naming Newton starter only means starter for OTA's

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Newton: 898 snaps, 6 sacks, 7 QB Hits, 37 QB hurries

Clabo: 962 snaps, 11 sacks, 10 QB Hits, 31 QB hurries
Per @PFF

Clabo is an name at this point don't know how much he will help. More depth than starter.

#Texans have a serious need at offensive tackle in terms of depth. Signed Yeatman who is coming off ACL injury and two UDFAs after that.

Dunn was an assistant OLine coach in ATL so familiar with Clabo.

Should be little surprise Tyson Clabo made a visit to the #Texans. Best seasons came with Paul Dunn at ATL who is now OL Coach in Houston

Clabo was always a pretty darn good pass protector and run blocker, but was especially known for his run blocking in the power run scheme. Last year, ProFootballFocus graded him out as the worst OT in the NFL for the first 6 games. It was felt that the reason was because Miami was his first real major exposure to the ZBS. One of the reasons the Falcons released him back when (besides going for more youth) was that they were moving to a ZBS offense and were concerned about his transition to such a system. But, it should be noted that last year he seemed to finally better acclimate to Miami's ZBS later in the season. He has been extremely durable, with only basically one minor short-lived hip injury that never kept him out of a game. At 6'6" and 315 pounds, he would seem to be a perfect fit in the OB offense. As I feel he still has some left in the tank, I'd be in favor of getting this multi-Pro Bowler on board as a strong vet presence and mentor, as well as a competition for the RT vs backup position.

Great info doc! Based on this alone I've gone from meh to intrigued. Looking at just stats like most seem to do these days this guy would of been a waste of time to even look at.

PDS ‏@PatDStat

I have hope for Clabo because he had his best yrs under Dunn and played better after leaning how to play in the ZBS. He should be a great fit in BOB's Power/ZBS hybrid scheme. Sometimes numbers lie.

If they don't bring him in then that means he has fallen off of a cliff. Since Dunn is very familiar with Clabo and the Texans certainly have the cap room to bring Clabo in.

Adam CaplanVerified account
‏@caplannfl Tyson Clabo's workout w/Cards went well enough that they were interested in signing him, but both sides couldn't come to an agreement.

Found this re. Clabo. He visited the Cardinals as a starter candidate. But it appears that Clabo wanted more than a 1 year deal which is what the Cardinals offered. The Cardinals are thinking that after leaving without signing, and after testing the market further, he will come back to their table for what was offered.

Back