Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pollard to WLB? Quinn to FS?

Not in the NFL they don't. Name 5 players that successfully went from either LB to S or S to LB.

Moving from CB to S, or S to CB is completely different.

I can't name any players off the top of my head that were successful at the SS to LB move, but I can name some that made the move. But my point in the post you quoted was about position changes in general.

So your first point about "Not in the NFL they don't" isn't true. Yes they do.

I can't name any players off the top of my head that were successful at the SS to LB move, but I can name some that made the move. But my point in the post you quoted was about position changes in general.

So your first point about "Not in the NFL they don't" isn't true. Yes they do.

Thomas Davis comes to mind. think he played SS @ Georgia & Carolina moved him to OLB, placed on reserve/physically unable to perform with an injured right knee 8/31/10. never really played up to his draft position, not unlike Travis Johnson who Texans selected two picks later #16 overall. very weak draft year (05). Is a much bigger, thicker body than Pollard but Pollard is quicker, better reaction/anticiapation skills could be more productive if moved than Davis?

Reactions: Rey
Thomas Davis comes to mind. think he played SS @ Georgia & Carolina moved him to OLB, placed on reserve/physically unable to perform with an injured right knee 8/31/10. never really played up to his draft position, not unlike Travis Johnson who Texans selected two picks later #16 overall. very weak draft year (05). Is a much bigger, thicker body than Pollard but Pollard is quicker, better reaction/anticiapation skills could be more productive if moved than Davis?

That's what I was really looking for...football talk...

All of the "it's never happened before responses" were not what I was looking for...

I don't mind folks saying that he'll suck as a WLB...Heck, I even said in my initial post that this was just a thought and that there were plenty of potential downfalls to this hypothetical move.

Thanks for talking actual football and giving actual reasons to support your position.

Anyways, I think you may be right with regards to Pollard. In addition to the things you mention about Pollard, I also see a guy with longer arms who may be able to fight of blocks a bit better. He is already playing in the box a bunch anyways so I don't think it'd be a huge adjustment to ask him to play there down in and down out.

I do agree with what some have said about him possibly being a liability there in regards to having to take on blockers, but on the weak side that may not be as big of a thing to overcome vs. if he were to move to the strong side....

there are always exceptions to this rule, Pollard maybe one? Quinn I have no doubt would be a better FS than what is currently playing @ that position.

The problem is that you are trying formulate a plan based on an exception to the rule working out which by definition is a low percentage move. Long-term the Texans are better off focusing their energies on Sharpton becoming a legitimate option at WLB or figuring out how Diles went from solid player to awful in an off-season. And even if does work, are you really wanting Barber at SS.

The problem is that you are trying formulate a plan based on an exception to the rule working out which by definition is a low percentage move. Long-term the Texans are better off focusing their energies on Sharpton becoming a legitimate option at WLB or figuring out how Diles went from solid player to awful in an off-season. And even if does work, are you really wanting Barber at SS.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the real nail in the coffin in terms of this conversation. As hard as it may be to believe having watched the games this year - Pollard is the best we have at SS. We already need a FS, do we really want to have absolutely nothing of any positive value in either of our safety positions? The same thing applies to Quin going to FS, McCain on the starting line? *VOMIT*.

I'm in the draft a LBer boat. The problem here isn't BP, the problem is Zac Diles is showing his 7th round status while Adibi has nothing to add, Sharpton is very young and Bentley is already playing due to Ryans' achilles injury.

To those who question Pollard's coverage skill at WLB, facing TE's much of the time I say this: what exactly would be different? Pollard is regularly in coverage...being a safety and all. Matching up on TEs and faster WRs.

To those who question his size, durability I say this: what exactly would be different? He's still diving into the same piles as he would be as a safety.

The point is to minimize his weakness in coverage and maximize his ability to be a run stopping force. Certainly, I would expect less of a LBer in coverage than I would a safety...even if the Texans defensive staff doesn't feel the same way.

No wait I got it, let's keep doing the same crap over and over and overandoverandoverandovand.faoanvsdnr.d.cvasdf.........

As far as I'm concerned, this is the real nail in the coffin in terms of this conversation. As hard as it may be to believe having watched the games this year - Pollard is the best we have at SS. We already need a FS, do we really want to have absolutely nothing of any positive value in either of our safety positions? The same thing applies to Quin going to FS, McCain on the starting line? *VOMIT*.

McCain wouldn't be a starter if Quinn moved, and why couldn't Troy Nolan play the SS position?

But besides that, I didn't see where anyone specified making these moves right now...

Personally, I was thinking that if any player would change positions they'd do it over an off-season.

McCain wouldn't be a starter if Quinn moved, and why couldn't Troy Nolan play the SS position?

But besides that, I didn't see where anyone specified making these moves right now...

Personally, I was thinking that if any player would change positions they'd do it over an off-season.

Who then? Unless I am mistaken, McCain is who they sent in when playing in the nickel - is this only situational? As for Nolan playing SS, why don't we just let him play FS (bench Wilson), which is his natural position, and leave the one CB we have that is showing signs of progress at his natural position?

Who then? Unless I am mistaken, McCain is who they sent in when playing in the nickel - is this only situational? As for Nolan playing SS, why don't we just let him play FS (bench Wilson), which is his natural position, and leave the one CB we have that is showing signs of progress at his natural position?

Jason Allen would start before McCain.

Barbrer was placed on IR a few weeks ago...

As far as I know, Nolan is the only back-up safety on the roster...AKA we are only carrying 3 safeties....

As far as I know, Nolan is the only back-up safety on the roster...AKA we are only carrying 3 safeties....

I would certainly hope you are right, as no one could fail as much as McCain. That said, I think GQ is coming along at the CB position, slowly but surely, and perhaps with a new DC and a better scheme could develop into a pretty good player (not HOF, mind you, but serviceable). I just don't think switching him would do him any good.

This is true, but I would still prefer to keep Pollard at SS and give Nolan a shot at playing FS. Wilson has been less than impressive. This is something simple we could try now, if only to see what Nolan is capable of.

Nolan has actually been playing a lot...

I'm not sure what the split is, but it looks almost 50/50 to me....

Nolan has actually been playing a lot...

I'm not sure what the split is, but it looks almost 50/50 to me....

I suppose it's just escaped me. Which would you say has been more serviceable while on the field? Or is there little difference?

Didn't hear that about Barber. I knew they brought up a guy named Tori Williams or something and got cut immediately after. Safety is still a black hole for this team. Pollard's (most of a) year of pain lives as the best performance to date. Can I get a 1st round Safety?

2nd?

3rd?

.....4th?

oh ok we'll just hope a late round guys explodes for no reason....

I suppose it's just escaped me. Which would you say has been more serviceable while on the field? Or is there little difference?

Honestly, I'm a guy that really wanted Nolan in the line-up.

Since he has been playing I can't say that I have really noticed a big difference other than we aren't giving up as many big passing plays.

I am not gonna say that is because of Nolan...In fact, I'd be shocked if it was...

I would like to see him get extended playing time for the rest of the season, bu the platoon of he and Wilson seems to be a bit better than just Wilson alone like it was at the beginning of the year..I think Wilson has probably stepped his game up some too....

That said, I would not be upset at all if we took a safety high in the upcoming draft...

Back