Pollard to WLB? Quinn to FS?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rey, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

I know fans are often trying to imagine players at different positions and thinking that they may play better somewhere other than where they are at, but what do you think about these moves?

I think Quinn could play the FS position very effectively. He has good enough range for that position and he is a good tackler.

Pollard does really well in the box. He is a good tackler and he is an effective blitzer. I don't know how he'd respond to being in the box on every single play and having to take on O-linemen more than he does now, but I think he could adjust.

His coverage skills aren't great, but for a LB they should be above average. I honestly think he could get it done.

I think it is a bit harder to project Quinn to the FS position because of how different it is from corner mentally. He'd have to be aware of a lot more. Physically, I think he could do it, but I just have no clue about the mental aspect of it.

I am not here saying that I believe either of these moves would be sure fire solutions, but rather providing reasons for why I think they may work.

What do you guys think?

2. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

Sounds good Rey because he cannot cover well to a DB's expectations...

3. Gymrat2005

Gymrat2005 Rookie

I agree completely, I started a thread yesterday saying the same things, now that ive given it some food for thought.

Pollard to WSLB is becoming a more and more of an ample solution.

When we sit down and look at things, we have the youngest corners in the NFL BUT then we have a SS who is maybe the worst cover SS in the NFL "ouch"...

If any of us thought our secondary would be anything other than Average this year were strongly mistaken.

4. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Actually I like the Pollard to WOLB move a lot on paper. I've been saying our LB corps is too heavy and that hurts them in the passing game. Pollard is only a little bit lighter than the average NFL WOLB. I think he'd do well there. Quin to FS I have serious doubts about though.

Oh and our coaches will never ever do this. Most conservative coaches in the NFL probably, there is no way this will happen.

5. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

I like it someone should suggest that to Kubes

Quinn should stay CB tho and get someone else to play SS like Mcmanis or nolan or anybody but Pollard

6. burro

burro almost sentient

To suggest that Pollard is a good tackler requires a very liberal definition of "tackling". How many times has Pollard tried that one armed half-ass tackle while running right past whoever he is supposed to be tackling? I wouldn't be too excited at the prospect of seeing Pollard juked out of his boots on every other running play. Plus, we don't have anyone better to put at SS so therefore we are just creating bigger voids where there are already big voids.

As for Quin to FS - I'll pass on that too. Quin seems to actually be figuring out his position. He has a long way to go before he could even be called a good CB, but I at least see him progressing (which is more than can be said of KJ and especially McCain). This would be the worst possible time to switch him from his natural position. Also, again, who takes his place at CB? McCain? Eff no.

7. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I think Pollard to WLB is laughable. Dude isn't nearly large enough to take on blocks consistently and his tackling ability is lackluster. Pretty poor idea.

Quin to FS, I have no idea and neither should anybody else who hasn't seen him play there. Safety and corner are two completely different positions and require different skill sets. Quin really isn't a very good tackler either, he isn't bad but he isn't good. He makes some good tackles here and there but he also misses his share of easy tackles.

How about acquiring a real FS, and a real WLB? Diles is pretty much trash right now. With different coaching I am sure he could improve but I don't know to what extent. He takes horrible angles. If we move Quin to FS we need to add a corner, on top of the one or two we already need. Seems easier to me to just add new players.

JMO

8. Gymrat2005

Gymrat2005 Rookie

Okay soo its a concesus that pollard is below average in coverage, He is a lack luster tackler.

Time to move on from pollard then?

9. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Quin has been the only CB to actually play the last couple of games - would we really want Jackson and McCain as our two starting corners and then move him to FS? I don't get that...

10. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Dude weighs 224. That's barely 5lbs away from most of the 4-3 WLBs in the league. He could put on 5lbs and be average weight at the position.

And his tackling isn't that bad. I mean, it might LOOK bad, but I think that's because he is getting de-coached just like the rest of our defense. And of course, our scheme blows. Dude was solid last year, an entire squad doesn't regress like that unless it's coaching. I'm not about to call him a bad tackler.

11. TexansSeminole

To each his own, he is a pretty poor tackler IMO. He may get a big hit here and there but he also misses tackles left and right.

Pollard = 224 lbs
    Diles = 245 lbs
    Adibi = 242 lbs

Diles and Adibi aren't even holding up against OL at their size. Pick a team, any team, and show me successful 230 lb LBers.

12. burro

burro almost sentient

Honestly, with the exception of Brice McCain who is just crap anyway you slice it, I don't want to see anyone cut from the defense until we see how they perform under a DC that actually knows something about defense. The schemes are terrible and there's no cohesion, therefore it's hard to say exactly who sucks and whose a victim of bad coaching.

13. Gymrat2005

Gymrat2005 Rookie

colts

14. TexansSeminole

All listed at between 235-240.

And...

They give up 136 yards per game on the ground. That's 29th.

Not only would he have to add weight and strength but he needs to learn the position. Waste of time and talk IMO.

15. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Try this thread. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76760
    You should learn more about LB weight before talking so much about it.

Starting WLBs for various teams:

Giants 223
    Saints 226
    Eagles 230
    Falcons 230
    Bears 230
    Panthers 231

And I'm only looking at 4-3 teams. Some have WLBs in the mid 230s and low 240s, sure. But it isn't necessary by a long shot. And some of the best 4-3 defenses are those listed.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This cant be done at this time. It's too late in the season to make these kinds of drastic changes.

I would be all for drafting a CB like Brandon Harris in rd 1 and moving Quin to FS. Coverage and tackling would immediately improve. In fact if you think the season is over giving Quin experience at FS to see how he does would be a prudent thing to do. You could also give McMannis some experience too. This would be a win-win situation. IMHO

No to Pollard at the WLB. Not enough size to hold up on regular basis. They need to draft an OLB in rd 1/2. IMHO A real difference maker at Diles position. (Miller or Herzlich would fit the bill)

17. TexansSeminole

So you've got a guy who probably needs to add 10 pounds if his listing his correct in Pollard. He needs to learn a new position, and needs to improve his tackling alot.

What's the point? Why not just get a new player?

Should probably get your numbers right. You've got one guy at Pollard's weight. One guy. Add 5 pounds and you still aren't at where most smaller linebackers are.

You can just look at Pollard and see that he isn't near the size of a linebacker.

18. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

Bernard Pollard is 6'1" and around 230 lbs.

That's the average size of a WLB. I remember discussing about Sean Witherspoon, a WLB. In college, he weighed 250 lbs and many people were saying he was a little bit too big to play WLB. He now plays at around 240 lbs.

19. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Ah, I forgot to say I was assuming the lightest of the 3 starting LBs was the Will. I dunno where you got your stats, I got mine from team websites and NFLs website. Many sites don't say who is Will or Sam, so I just got weights on the 3 starters. Look at the thread.

Like I said, add 5 lbs and he is WLB size. 229lbs. Oh my god, sorry, I guess he should add 6lbs to be 230. lol.

You said he's too small. He's not. You said show me a 230lb linebacker. There are dozens of LBs in the NFL that are between 226-235. And Pollard isn't fat... he's lean, he could easily gain 5lbs, probably 10, on his frame.

It would take minimal effort for him to be LB size. Get over it.

20. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Oh, on top of that, our other LBs are super heavy. So it's not like we would be severely under-weight with a 230lb WLB.