Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Playoffs 2023 season: Conference Championships

Take the points, man!!! Take the freaking points. If you don't, more times than not you end up chasing those points at the end. F*** you analytics!

Lions Super Bowl drought extends to 58 years. Since a Houston team has never been to any of the 58 either, I know the feeling Lion fan. Not to mention blowing big leads in playoff games.

You’re making the assumption that their kicker would’ve made both. That last 4th down wasn’t a gimme. If their kicker misses that, then folks are asking why he went away from what he’s done all season. wouldn’t have mattered in the long run anyway, SF went down and scored 7 afterwards.
Badgley hadn't missed a kick for the Lions this season.

Lions gonna lion. The curse continues. Campbell went to his 4th down well like he did all year. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The bigger issue was the defensive collapse. I feel bad for one of my favorite Texans Aaron Glenn. Class man and great player.

49ers just have too much. The key for them is Purdy. If that guy can just manage games & stay away from the big mistake and make a play here & there to extend drives, I trust Lil’ Shanny to eventually give him plays where guys are schemed open. & they’re virtually unstoppable on offense at that point.
Gotta give it to Purdy, he played well in the second half.

Badgley hadn't missed a kick for the Lions this season.

This was not about understanding the flow of what was going on in a particular situation. the first field goal puts the game back at 17 and resets the game back. The 2nd one ties the football game. The 49ers don't keep the energy of stop in either case.

Still, Goff while a good overall QB could not make special throws nor do anything with his feet when needed.

Last edited:
Lions gonna lion. The curse continues. Campbell went to his 4th down well like he did all year. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The bigger issue was the defensive collapse. I feel bad for one of my favorite Texans Aaron Glenn. Class man and great player.
True, but the Lions defense needs more talent. Especially in the secondary. Another big old NT and pass rusher wouldn't hurt either.

Take the points, man!!! Take the freaking points. If you don't, more times than not you end up chasing those points at the end. F*** you analytics!

Lions Super Bowl drought extends to 58 years. Since a Houston team has never been to any of the 58 either, I know the feeling Lion fan. Not to mention blowing big leads in playoff games.
You wanna pull this in the regular season fine, but in the playoffs there is no next week, Campbell f*cked around and found out. With that late 4th qtr TD they should’ve been up three, just dumb dumb dumb. One of my best friends is a Lions fan and I feel for him. Your coach cut you off at the knee caps……

Every time? Even when it makes zero sense? No man, that was just flat out dumb.

His aggressiveness on 4th down is a big reason why they were where they were in the NFCCG. What hurt them more today imo were all the drops on 3rd down and that defense kinda fell off in the 2nd half. Hell if that CB actually catches that pass instead of it bouncing off his face for Aiyuk, they probably win cause that takes 7 pts off the board for SF. They just faded late on defense.

His aggressiveness on 4th down is a big reason why they were where they were in the NFCCG. What hurt them more today imo were all the drops on 3rd down and that defense kinda fell off in the 2nd half. Hell if that CB actually catches that pass instead of it bouncing off his face for Aiyuk, they probably win cause that takes 7 pts off the board for SF. They just faded late on defense.
They were shutdown basically on offense the entire 2nd half. Wasn't just the defense.

Thrilled the Niners won. Obviously love everything about them and we're modeling ourselves after their franchise, ideally. Want Baby Shan to get over the hump. Purdy is awesome. McCaffrey is amazing.

I feel bad for Detroit. I hate both AFC teams and liked both NFC teams and wish that was the Super Bowl. Terrible decision-making by the Lions in the second half. But we can relitigate that forever. They stunk on that front. Too bad.

Hoping SF can get revenge for losing that Super Bowl 4 years ago in such stupid, egregious fashion.

You need to check your prescription. Snead's hand definitely caused that turnover. Flowers had complete control until Snead punched it out.
Yes, but he wouldn't have punched it out if Flowers wouldn't have extended it out.

Splitting hairs. He reached out. Natural reaction. He wanted 6, so I don’t blame him, but that said, Snead made a great play. He’s a good player who made a good play at a key moment.

An aside…but the more I see Flowers, the less I like him. He needs an attitude adjustment. I liked him coming out, but happy he is a Raven and not a Texan.

Splitting hairs. He reached out. Natural reaction. He wanted 6, so I don’t blame him, but that said, Snead made a great play. He’s a good player who made a good play at a key moment.

An aside…but the more I see Flowers, the less I like him. He needs an attitude adjustment. I liked him coming out, but happy he is a Raven and not a Texan.

Definitely a hothead.

Something that can be exploited

This was not about understanding the flow of what was going on in a particular situation. the first field goal puts the game back at 17 and resets the game back. The 2nd one ties the football game. The 49ers don't keep the energy of stop in either case.

Still, Goff while a good overall QB could not make special throws nor do anything with his feet when needed.

It’s going to be interesting to see how QB, Hendon Hooker competes in his first healthy camp. I suspect Hooker will be completely familiar with the playbook and should be working on his timing with any of the Lions receivers who’d like to work with him in the off-season.

nope he’s just not that great of a passer despite the narrative that he’s improved
Certainly not when the bright lights are on.

Lamar Jackson’s passing numbers get worse in the playoffs, every year
By Michael David Smith
Published January 29, 2024 12:47 PM

Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson saw an MVP regular season come back to earth with a loss in Sunday’s AFC Championship Game, and that’s nothing new for Jackson, who has consistently played worse in the playoffs than he has in the regular season.

Although Jackson continues to run the ball well in the postseason, his passing gets worse, year after year.

Over the course of his career, Jackson’s completion percentage is worse in the playoffs (57.4 percent) than in the regular season (64.5 percent). Jackson’s passer rating is worse in the playoffs (75.7) than in the regular season (98.0). His average yards per attempt is just 6.8 yards in the playoffs, significantly worse than his 7.5-yard average in the regular season. In regular season games, Jackson has thrown 125 touchdown passes to just 45 interceptions. In the playoffs he’s thrown only six touchdown passes, and six interceptions.

Jackson’s passing numbers in the playoffs have been worse than his passing numbers in the regular season in all four of the seasons that he reached the playoffs.

And, of course, the Ravens have won just two of the six postseason games that Jackson has started.

As Patrick Mahomes continues to step up his play in the playoffs and add to his Hall of Fame legacy, Jackson continues to fall short when the games matter most. Mahomes has won two regular-season MVP awards and Jackson is poised to win the second of his career next week, but in the playoffs, there’s no comparison.

You're a genius when it works, a danged fool when it don't.

Had they picked up those 4ths & scored TDs they would have effectively put the game away then.

Had they picked up those 4ths & scored TDs they would have effectively put the game away then.

The only thing I would say is that the Lions consistently played those 4th downs that way during the year. And if you are not trusting your defense maximizing your points is the way to go.

Still my reaction that I posted to this was a first guess at the time.

The only thing I would say is that the Lions consistently played those 4th downs that way during the year. And if you are not trusting your defense maximizing your points is the way to go.

Still my reaction that I posted to this was a first guess at the time.
And who's to say playing that way the whole year didn't cost them the #1 seed and playing that game in Motown? Campbell may be a great motivator, and hell, maybe even a great coach, but you've got to be smarter. There's a difference in being aggressive and being smart. I don't know if I want a coach who has an it's this way or no way approach and doesn't adjust during a game accordingly.

And who's to say playing that way the whole year didn't cost them the #1 seed and playing that game in Motown? Campbell may be a great motivator, and hell, maybe even a great coach, but you've got to be smarter. There's a difference in being aggressive and being smart. I don't know if I want a coach who has an it's this way or no way approach and doesn't adjust during a game accordingly.
His hard-head behavior certainly cost them the Dallas game.

His hard-head behavior certainly cost them the Dallas game.
Brandon Staley was the same way. I don't know how many games he cost the Chargers because of his go for it all the time approach.

Reactions: JB
Brandon Staley was the same way. I don't know how many games he cost the Chargers because of his go for it all the time approach.

Brandon Staley was a terrible coach on all levels. His go for it all the time approach was way down the list for reasons why they were losing games…

Nick has done some really good stuff in the last 12 months…coincidentally when DeMeco showed up.

Prior to that, Nicks record sucks pretty hard. Wrong thread, but duly noted.
Disagree

He added a WR1 and depth pieces like Jordan/Mills in his 1st yr.

Yr2 he added Stingley, Petrie, Harris, Pirce, Quintano (Thanks Lovie) He only missed on Metchie (Cancer/ACL) and Green (Knee/Shoulder) I've still got hope that Green in particular and Metchie can make it back and play up to their draft status.

This doesn't take into account the really good job in FA and trading late rd picks for guys like Mason, Green/Jones to try to get help for a badly injured OL and having to do this at the end of TC.

This last draft/FA period Ryans/Caserio killed it even if drafting WA cost Gibbs/LaPorta/2024 1st.

Had Reynolds not dropped a couple of passes (1 on 4th down) or Gibbs not gone the wrong way and fumbled the Lions most likely would've won the game. Fate was not on the Lions side and the 49ers were really lucky to make the SB again.

Last edited:
Back