Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Opinions on Mario please

prostock101

Mr. Big
Mario wasn't the only problem as the entire D line looked like they could never figure out if it was run or pass. If they wanted Mario to disrupt the pocket, why not take him out of the 3 point stance, stand him up at DE and let him get after at on passing downs. I also noticed he constantly got stood up by the lineman and never attempted a spin or swim move or anything to disengage himself from the OL. Any thoughts?

Let's wait and see what the coaches have to say. I doubt that any of us could have put the team in a better position to win. Super Mario will be fine in the long run.

honestly IMO only.. it will be hard for me to ever see him worthy of the number one pick when i see who he went ahead of, if he becomes anything less than atleast a julius peppers.. thats just me... we had the chance to get maybe a once in a decade player, maybe longer.. I dont dislike the guy, i hope he contributes, and i hope he has a good year..but again IMO, I will prob. always wish we had went the other way.. unless he turns out to be the man in his position, and i mean the man..

Cgold said:
honestly IMO only.. it will be hard for me to ever see him worthy of the number one pick when i see who he went ahead of, if he becomes anything less than atleast a julius peppers.. thats just me... we had the chance to get maybe a once in a decade player, maybe longer.. I dont dislike the guy, i hope he contributes, and i hope he has a good year..but again IMO, I will prob. always wish we had went the other way.. unless he turns out to be the man in his position, and i mean the man..
Understand what your saying.I was a RB supporter but I'm OVER IT. Mario was the right pick, way to much up-side not to think that. He's 21 and played one I"LL SAY IT AGAIN ONE pro-football game. Everyone need to slloooww down and give the guy chance to learn how to play at the NFL level.

I still have to believe that Mario will be a great player otherwise I don't see someone like Kubiak taking him. My concern is are they teaching him anything but how to grab a OL and shove him back a yard and a half and just stand their wrestling with him until the play is over.....

He was owned yesterday, but he's just a rookie playing his first game. I did not expect some stellar performance, as he was up against one of the better o-lines in the league.

Like chuckm said, ask me around Christmas.

im not saying he wont be a great player, i hope he turns out to be a madman..its just my opinion that if he only becomes a "good" player and not one of the most feared pass rushers in the game, i wont be able to see him worthy of the pick and a mistake...but again thats only what it would take for me to believe it... everyone else will have their own expectations of him.... if it were any other draft year there prob. wouldnt be this debate.. He's def. worthy of A top pick but maybe not THEE top pick

The Eagles exploited a young D Lineman within their offense. No surprise at all. It is not so much what he didn't do, but what he could do against the WCO in his first game. Bad matchup for a guy who has big expectations from the fan base. He will watch the tape and make adjustments. I have no reason to believe we have seen the best of Mario like the sky is falling crowd around here.

We lost 24-10, not 45-3. Everyone engage in their vice of choice and chill.

Keep in mind our first 8 games look like predominantly playoff teams, and our last 8 games look mainly like teams we will fighting with for the rights to Brady Quinn.

My issue with Mario yesterday was the lack of fire. Look at D Ryans. Yes, they are at different positions, but you never saw Mario running after plays. He always seemed to want to engage a lineman rather than go around, even when playing end and the play goes the other way. Yes he is a rookie, but I expect more from a varsity letterman.

why would you want brady quinn?? With the work the team needs how does replacing the quarterback with a rookie help in any way.. or are you willing to wait for a couple more years while he learns..and whats to say he could be any better..his college career? Carr had an outstanding college career.. he put up numbers that put the last couple heisman quarterbacks to shame..

Would it be better to let him play one position instead of moving him up and down the line, at least 'til he gets some experience under his belt? Yeah, he was doubled up a lot, but he was getting stacked up when he wasn't doubled too.

TheOgre said:
Keep in mind our first 8 games look like predominantly playoff teams, and our last 8 games look mainly like teams we will fighting with for the rights to Brady Quinn.

Man, you sure give me something to look forward to, 'eh? ;)

Double Barrel said:
Man, you sure give me something to look forward to, 'eh? ;)

No thank you. I would rather take my chances at QB with Brian Griese or Jake Plummer next year if it comes to that. No more #1 QB's.

I think Mario was nervous and is trying to learn technique and it was his first game against a very good offense in my opinion. It is hard to get to McNabb because for one he can take off and 2 they usually don't hold the ball very long before he throws it. Also the Reggie Bush stuff is getting old :brickwall we didn't pick him he isn't on our team. His first game his numbers were pretty good. But also remember he lined up as a WR and caught 8 balls for 58 yards. not even 8 yards a catch. If you throw that much to someone at a WR position they should have more yards per catch than that. Also 14 rushes for 64 yards 4.5 is pretty good numbers but remember if he would have bounced out like he was yesterday he wouldn't succeed in this system because this system isn't built for that. The best type of back for this team is like a Adrian Peterson type one cut and slam it down their throat and wear them down. I would have rather drafted Mario this year and if Adrian comes out next year draft Adrian. That would be great. Also keep your heads on straight it's one game in a long season against possibly a playoff team or maybe another super bowl contender. We have a lot of tough teams. You will see progress with Kubiak. :superman:

prostock101 said:
never attempted a spin or swim move or anything to disengage himself from the OL. Any thoughts?

He didn't attempt any in the preseason either. This gave rise to 2 camps of thought:

a. Kubiak is a master-strategist/ genius who didn't want Mario to show off his awesome top-secret spin/ swim moves in the preseason so that he could catch other teams off guard when the regular season rolled around.

b. Mario doesn't have any moves.

The correct answer is b.

Erratic Assassin said:
He didn't attempt any in the preseason either. This gave rise to 2 camps of thought:

a. Kubiak is a master-strategist/ genius who didn't want Mario to show off his awesome top-secret spin/ swim moves in the preseason so that he could catch other teams off guard when the regular season rolled around.

The correct answer is b.

Thankfully there is film in a real game and the coaches and Mario will do their job going over film and then work on technique in practice.

Erratic Assassin said:

The correct answer is b.

No way man, even in the small footage I saw of him before the draft I saw him perform excellent swim moves. Why he's not even trying them on the field is beyond me, but the guy has moves and even if he didn't that's what training is for. I just can't wrap my mind on why he doesn't even attempt a spin move. I think he needs to focus on his DE responsibilities first, but the guy has moves.

dat_boy_yec said:
No way man, even in the small footage I saw of him before the draft I saw him perform excellent swim moves. Why he's not even trying them on the field is beyond me, but the guy has moves and even if he didn't that's what training is for. I just can't wrap my mind on why he doesn't even attempt a spin move. I think he needs to focus on his DE responsibilities first, but the guy has moves.

I've seen the swim move also it in a thread I cant find now. I'm telling you now mark my words. Payton Manning this week. Coach Keeps Mario at DE and turns him lose. Mario needs to show this week or the MB will be burying him as a bust of all bust in his second game as a pro. Go Mario get Payton

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry said:
I've seen the swim move also it in a thread I cant find now. I'm telling you now mark my words. Payton Manning this week. Coach Keeps Mario at DE and turns him lose. Mario needs to show this week or the MB will be burying him as a bust of all bust in his second game as a pro. Go Mario get Payton

I hope so. I don't need a sack to be satisfied, I just need to see him get in Peyton's face get his hands on him a few times. If he can show me that then I can live with it, because if you get that close to Peyton that many times, you will more than likely get to any other QB on a consistant basis. I just wanna see him let loose as a DE. That's all I'm asking for. Is that too much to ask for.

Let's not forget what DEs do in a 4-3 system, when plays come outside they need to control that outside edge. A guy like Demeco Ryans doesn't get 12 tackles, many of which on the edges if the end is getting dominated in that spot. I do want to see him disrupt the passing game more, even if it doesn't mean outright sacks, just good pressure and QB hits. Peppers had 12 sacks and plenty of hurries his rookie season. Weaver is a good player on the opposite side, I'm looking for Mario to take it to some of the less experienced tackles in the league...

fingers5 said:
My issue with Mario yesterday was the lack of fire. Look at D Ryans. Yes, they are at different positions, but you never saw Mario running after plays. He always seemed to want to engage a lineman rather than go around, even when playing end and the play goes the other way. Yes he is a rookie, but I expect more from a varsity letterman.

That is an exaggeration.

I rewatched the game on TiVO and focused on just this point because I wanted to see if I missed something that a lot of people have been saying, and I didn't see that (at least from what I saw on TV).

Lopez mentioned that, but of course, only said it in passing and not with specificity to anyone play. No one around to call BS on that though.

If the entire line doesn't play a lot better, Ryans is going to get even more tackles.

Mario needs to improve, but at the same time, exaggerating the good or the bad with any player doesn't do much good.

dat_boy_yec said:
Why aren't you seeing his moves? Because there are no Central Florida's, Wake Forests, or Dukes on the Texans' schedule.

LoneStarState said:
Why aren't you seeing his moves? Because there are no Central Florida's, Wake Forests, or Dukes on the Texans' schedule.
Yeah, and Bush was tearing it up against crappy PAC-10 teams and looked dumb in the texas game (fumble).
Get over it.
I am all for Mario being left alone at DE to get some experience at that spot. TJ and Payne/etc can take care of the interior.

fingers5 said:

Dude, you read my mind...dont get me wrong i want this guy to be a success for the Texans sake, but after watching him play yesterday i am not to pleased with his performance. He had no fire in him...a TE stood him the hell up and kept him from getting to the QB. That is not good. Looked to me like he was going through the motions. If this is what we should expect from him against great competition, then he is in for a long season. The schedule does not get any easier. Its been just one game and all ready the excuses are begining. He is a rookie, i know but the thing that worries me is that he did not have that "Freakin Fire" that Demeco has...we will just have to wait and see.

I've been saying it since you guys drafted him:

He has insane athletic ability, which gets you very far in college. To be a good DE in the NFL you have to have very good technique. Hence, the guys who make the Pro Bowl every year for DE aren't exactly the fastest/quickest/athletic guys.

For example, Kyle Vanden Bosch on the Titans. Had 12 1/2 sacks last year and is slower than Christmas.

Mario MUST learn good technique or he's done for. Athleticism only gets you so far....

LoneStarState said:

That's not true. We'll play the Titans twice, the Browns, and the Raiders.

Kaiser Toro said:
No thank you. I would rather take my chances at QB with Brian Griese or Jake Plummer next year if it comes to that. No more #1 QB's.

That's funny...I was talking about looking forward to the next 6 games against winning teams (NOT!), but I can see how it could be miscontrued. I surely do NOT look forward to a season ending with a high draft pick. I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing aluminum foil. :shades:

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
He has insane athletic ability, which gets you very far in college. To be a good DE in the NFL you have to have very good technique. Hence, the guys who make the Pro Bowl every year for DE aren't exactly the fastest/quickest/athletic guys.

I agree that Mario needs to learn technique and he needs to improve but if you're saying someone like Peppers or Kearse isn't athletic... (Not that Kearse has been to the Pro Bowl recently.)

I think it is still a little to early to make a opinion on Mario, let see what he does by the time the bye week get's here, he could of just had the 1st game jitters.......at least I hope that's all it was.......

1). The entire defensive line got served however it was against a healthy, experienced offensive line thats played together awhile.

2). Mario was universally rated the 2nd best player in the draft behind only Reggie Bush, so why do some of you insist he would have free falled to the #5 pick and Green Bay (Reggie White)?

3). Positional wise does anyone really know what is the best for Mario, DE or DT? the Texans staff seems to feel its a combination of the two depending on match-ups so its up to them to put Mario in a position where he can excell.

4). Have you ever seen a DE the size of Mario (6-7 291)? Maybe one of these players- Bruce Smith was the 1st player taken in 85 he was 6-4 265 lbs. Julius Peppers 6-6 283, was taken 2nd overall in 2002 after David Carr & in 1984 Reggie White was drafted 4th overall by Philadephia as a DE @ 6-4 300 lbs. pretty elite company if you ask me & sometimes when I listen to him talk I can't help but hear a little Minister of Defense Reggie White eek out.

5). Things to work on- play low, keep blockers off balance with spin moves, slap, grab, swim & rip moves. keep from getting locked into the body of the tackles, by using your long arms & strong hand punch. He covers a lot of ground so I'm wondering why not use him off the line of scrimmage, play more underneath then let Babin/Peek break off the edge allowing Mario to come full speed for cleanup and the sack.

6). Mario has great character, is willing to work hard & will continue to be an outstanding teammate with the abilites to someday breakdown great lines even like the Eagles its just going to take time. Remember this game, reflect back to it (some distant future time) to see just how much he developes as a player yet maintain his compossure, humility and personality. embrace this moment as hard as it may seem now the good times are just around the corner.

:redtowel:

im tired of reading mario is a rookie hes a project and will take couple of yrs to get there. come on great players are great players you dont need to be a 5 yr veteran to make an impact in this league. anybody watch shawn merriman tonight. this guy is awesome... he was great as a rookie and even better now.i think there are alot of people on this board who are homers and will never say anything bad about a beloved texans player. i can see it 4yrs from now you can come in here and read about how we need to give mario a chance and how hes playing out of position. or if he just learns some technique he will be good. much like david carr im sure we will read 5yrs of excuses on this board. this should be called the texans excuse board.....

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry said:

2 be honest, (im a huge supporter 4 mario) i don't really think mario can get a sack on manning, maybe force him to get rid of the ball quicker. in the giants game, manning only got sacked once and we all know how talented the giants DL is....

cbnjwill said:
anybody watch shawn merriman tonight. this guy is awesome... he was great as a rookie and even better now.i think there are alot of people on this board who are homers and will never say anything bad about a beloved texans player.

Shawne Merriman didn't play his first game. Got one tackle his second, two his third, a tackle and an assist for games 4 and 5. He didn't record his first sack until game 5.

Mario is well ahead of that pace.

noxiousdog said:
Shawne Merriman didn't play his first game. Got one tackle his second, two his third, a tackle and an assist for games 4 and 5. He didn't record his first sack until game 5.

Mario is well ahead of that pace.

Yep, and linebackers usually get more sacks then a DE will.

Mario will be fine....He hasn't calmed down yet....Once he gets acclimated to everything and he gets comfortable he will be the beast we expect him to be...It's like when you are at your house you know where the light switches are without even looking...Thats how it will become with Mario...He just needs to get comfortable with everything and then it will just come natural and he won't be thinking as much...When you have to think a lot it slows you down...anybody who's ever played football knows this.....

If I'm not mistaken , Bruce Smith was 20 lbs overweight his rookie year . He was a bust in progress until he came back in shape for his 2nd year .

I think some people just have to complain . If you were a fireman and finished first in fire school ... on your first day on the job are you supposed to be in charge ? I know first player taken blah Bush blah ... it does'nt matter he needs to be left in one position and master that first before learning others .

RiotCommander said:
Yep, and linebackers usually get more sacks then a DE will.

I wouldn't say that. The league leader in sacks is almost always a weak side DE.

A linebacker will get more tackles though, even a 3-4 linebacker.

What I have to say no one wants to hear. It usually takes Dlineman 2 or 3 years to mature into this league. So until then Mario is going to have some good moments and bad moments. Re-calibrate your patience meter and don't let this Mario thing aggravate you for the next few years.

All we are going to hear for the next 4 years is how he mature into the job yada yada yada.

He will probably be a good DL, he will never show results of being the #1 pick of the draft.

I don't know why y'all cannot accept that management made a huge mistake, your defending the pick just makes it worse, we cannot go forward watching Bush put up the numbers he will put up and keep defending this pick.

There are only 2 ways this will all end, admit a mistake was made or Reggie gets hurt. Nothing else will do it.

GrandPa said:
All we are going to hear for the next 4 years is how he mature into the job yada yada yada.

He will probably be a good DL, he will never show results of being the #1 pick of the draft.

I don't know why y'all cannot accept that management made a huge mistake, your defending the pick just makes it worse, we cannot go forward watching Bush put up the numbers he will put up and keep defending this pick.

There are only 2 ways this will all end, admit a mistake was made or Reggie gets hurt. Nothing else will do it.

Im not sure why or how you can come to this conclusion so quickly...I think that Mario will be fine, and he will help us more than Bush would have in the long run....Bush may even wind up being the better player of the two, but that doesn't matter....The only way we regret it is if RB is so far ahead of Mario that its ridiculous...Everyone keeps comparing it to Bowie/Jordan...I don't look at it that way...Look at it like Olajuwon/Jordan....Jordan was great but who knows what he would have done if he was in Houston...Whats done is done, and it doesn't make any sense crying over spilled milk because there is no such thing as a re-do....

GrandPa said:

Show me a pick in the first 4 this year whose output in his first game is worthy of a #1 pick. Based upon 140 yards, including return yardage, shows that no one has made a mistake.

Texian said:
What I have to say no one wants to hear. It usually takes Dlineman 2 or 3 years to mature into this league. So until then Mario is going to have some good moments and bad moments. Re-calibrate your patience meter and don't let this Mario thing aggravate you for the next few years.

That may be average D-linemen, but how long did it take Peppers, Freeney, Kearse, or Rice. I mean you can't treat the #1 overall pick like an everyday lineman, he knows he has to perform. Mario has to perform this yr. remember he's working for that 6th yr. option this yr.

I finally decided to stop lurking and post, but I digress. Don't be too hasty to judge this young man one way or the other. Give him some time. He has much to learn, but I see so much upside. Generally when I compare things I compare like things...so I won't even venture to compare him to Reggie. Two different positions, two entirely different learning curves. I played the game both sides of the ball, linebacker and tight end so I understand a bit of Mario's transition. I will watch the 'whole team' each and every week and reserve my opinion on the 'whole team' at the end of the year. Football is a game won and lost by teams, but...but a team can be torn down by an individual ;). Enough said. Looking forward to seeing more improvement this week and each and every week.

Back