Opinions on Mario please

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by prostock101, Sep 11, 2006.

1. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

Mario wasn't the only problem as the entire D line looked like they could never figure out if it was run or pass. If they wanted Mario to disrupt the pocket, why not take him out of the 3 point stance, stand him up at DE and let him get after at on passing downs. I also noticed he constantly got stood up by the lineman and never attempted a spin or swim move or anything to disengage himself from the OL. Any thoughts?

2. sixfour

sixfour Site Contributor

Let's wait and see what the coaches have to say. I doubt that any of us could have put the team in a better position to win. Super Mario will be fine in the long run.

Vinny likes this.
  3. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Ask me again at about Christmas time ...

4. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Or maybe on one of the other threads already in high gear about Mario.

5. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

Did anyone see them blitz at all in the second half?

6. Cgold

Cgold Rookie

honestly IMO only.. it will be hard for me to ever see him worthy of the number one pick when i see who he went ahead of, if he becomes anything less than atleast a julius peppers.. thats just me... we had the chance to get maybe a once in a decade player, maybe longer.. I dont dislike the guy, i hope he contributes, and i hope he has a good year..but again IMO, I will prob. always wish we had went the other way.. unless he turns out to be the man in his position, and i mean the man..

7. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

Understand what your saying.I was a RB supporter but I'm OVER IT. Mario was the right pick, way to much up-side not to think that. He's 21 and played one I"LL SAY IT AGAIN ONE pro-football game. Everyone need to slloooww down and give the guy chance to learn how to play at the NFL level.

8. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

I still have to believe that Mario will be a great player otherwise I don't see someone like Kubiak taking him. My concern is are they teaching him anything but how to grab a OL and shove him back a yard and a half and just stand their wrestling with him until the play is over.....

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

He was owned yesterday, but he's just a rookie playing his first game. I did not expect some stellar performance, as he was up against one of the better o-lines in the league.

Like chuckm said, ask me around Christmas.

10. Cgold

Cgold Rookie

im not saying he wont be a great player, i hope he turns out to be a madman..its just my opinion that if he only becomes a "good" player and not one of the most feared pass rushers in the game, i wont be able to see him worthy of the pick and a mistake...but again thats only what it would take for me to believe it... everyone else will have their own expectations of him.... if it were any other draft year there prob. wouldnt be this debate.. He's def. worthy of A top pick but maybe not THEE top pick

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The Eagles exploited a young D Lineman within their offense. No surprise at all. It is not so much what he didn't do, but what he could do against the WCO in his first game. Bad matchup for a guy who has big expectations from the fan base. He will watch the tape and make adjustments. I have no reason to believe we have seen the best of Mario like the sky is falling crowd around here.

We lost 24-10, not 45-3. Everyone engage in their vice of choice and chill.

12. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Keep in mind our first 8 games look like predominantly playoff teams, and our last 8 games look mainly like teams we will fighting with for the rights to Brady Quinn.

13. fingers5

fingers5 Rookie

My issue with Mario yesterday was the lack of fire. Look at D Ryans. Yes, they are at different positions, but you never saw Mario running after plays. He always seemed to want to engage a lineman rather than go around, even when playing end and the play goes the other way. Yes he is a rookie, but I expect more from a varsity letterman.

14. Cgold

Cgold Rookie

why would you want brady quinn?? With the work the team needs how does replacing the quarterback with a rookie help in any way.. or are you willing to wait for a couple more years while he learns..and whats to say he could be any better..his college career? Carr had an outstanding college career.. he put up numbers that put the last couple heisman quarterbacks to shame..

15. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Would it be better to let him play one position instead of moving him up and down the line, at least 'til he gets some experience under his belt? Yeah, he was doubled up a lot, but he was getting stacked up when he wasn't doubled too.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Man, you sure give me something to look forward to, 'eh? ;)

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

No thank you. I would rather take my chances at QB with Brian Griese or Jake Plummer next year if it comes to that. No more #1 QB's.

18. AJExplosion80

AJExplosion80 Rookie

I think Mario was nervous and is trying to learn technique and it was his first game against a very good offense in my opinion. It is hard to get to McNabb because for one he can take off and 2 they usually don't hold the ball very long before he throws it. Also the Reggie Bush stuff is getting old :brickwall we didn't pick him he isn't on our team. His first game his numbers were pretty good. But also remember he lined up as a WR and caught 8 balls for 58 yards. not even 8 yards a catch. If you throw that much to someone at a WR position they should have more yards per catch than that. Also 14 rushes for 64 yards 4.5 is pretty good numbers but remember if he would have bounced out like he was yesterday he wouldn't succeed in this system because this system isn't built for that. The best type of back for this team is like a Adrian Peterson type one cut and slam it down their throat and wear them down. I would have rather drafted Mario this year and if Adrian comes out next year draft Adrian. That would be great. Also keep your heads on straight it's one game in a long season against possibly a playoff team or maybe another super bowl contender. We have a lot of tough teams. You will see progress with Kubiak. :superman:

19. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

He didn't attempt any in the preseason either. This gave rise to 2 camps of thought:

a. Kubiak is a master-strategist/ genius who didn't want Mario to show off his awesome top-secret spin/ swim moves in the preseason so that he could catch other teams off guard when the regular season rolled around.

b. Mario doesn't have any moves.

The correct answer is b.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Thankfully there is film in a real game and the coaches and Mario will do their job going over film and then work on technique in practice.