Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Olinemen in the 2019 draft.

The same could be said for Howard.
I bet even Martin would be decent with a good coach.

I wonder about him .... it would seem that he and his big brother would have some skull sessions ! BTW, I've had this thought several hundred times and keep meaning to mention it .... I like your first pick, at the bottom of your page. If we absolutely had to refuse to move up one spot for Dillard, we could've at least taken McGrady !

I wonder about him .... it would seem that he and his big brother would have some skull sessions ! BTW, I've had this thought several hundred times and keep meaning to mention it .... I like your first pick, at the bottom of your page. If we absolutely had to refuse to move up one spot for Dillard, we could've at least taken McGrady !
Personally, the way it panned out, I would have taken Byron Murphy @#23. Howard I believe would still be there at #54 or you burn the 3rd round pick to move up to get him.
If we can get our best team on the paddock and keep pretty healthy, I think we will have a very good team - especially on O.
I am expecting DW4 to have a strong year and with a decent running corp and more options at receiver he shouldn't get sacked so many times.
I can't wait to see how the RB corp shakes out.

Last edited:
Personally, the way it panned out, I would have taken Byron Murphy @#23. Howard I believe would still be there at #54 or you burn the 3rd round pick to move up to get him.
If we can get our best team on the paddock and keep pretty healthy, I think we will have a very good team - especially on O.
I am expecting DW4 to have a strong year and with a decent running corp and more options at receiver he shouldn't get sacked so many times.
I can't wait to see how the RB corp shakes out.

If Gaine wouldn't burn a 3rd to move up in the 1st, why would he burn a 3rd to move up in the 2nd?

If Gaine wouldn't burn a 3rd to move up in the 1st, why would he burn a 3rd to move up in the 2nd?
It's what I would have done.

You could've done a deal where you offered up the Sharping 2nd and 23 for 22 and a fourth. You may lose Scharping but you get the best LT in this draft. IMHO. There was a good chance Scharping could've been there in the 3rd. If he falls to the top of the 3rd then use the 4th to trade up and get him. If he's gone draft a guy like Edoga if you have to get another OT.

The point is you have to be aggressive. Which has not been a Texans org trademark. With Gaine gone hopefully this changes.

You could've done a deal where you offered up the Sharping 2nd and 23 for 22 and a fourth. You may lose Scharping but you get the best LT in this draft. IMHO. There was a good chance Scharping could've been there in the 3rd. If he falls to the top of the 3rd then use the 4th to trade up and get him. If he's gone draft a guy like Edoga if you have to get another OT.

The point is you have to be aggressive. Which has not been a Texans org trademark. With Gaine gone hopefully this changes.

I agree with this all day long ! Not that it matters now, but I have been begging for an infusion of talent on the OL for several years. I would have kicked in the 3rd - as you stated above. I then would have combined our #54 & #55, to trade up just as high as possible, beginning somewhere in the 26 to 27 range, and taken McGary. It may seem to many that this would be too aggressive, but, if you can come away from a draft with both bookends - for a decade .... in our position, I think it would have been brilliant !

I agree with this all day long ! Not that it matters now, but I have been begging for an infusion of talent on the OL for several years. I would have kicked in the 3rd - as you stated above. I then would have combined our #54 & #55, to trade up just as high as possible, beginning somewhere in the 26 to 27 range, and taken McGary. It may seem to many that this would be too aggressive, but, if you can come away from a draft with both bookends - for a decade .... in our position, I think it would have been brilliant !
The Texans think they did get their two bookends for a decade. You just disagree. They also got extra player by not trading up. I would have not trade it up but I would have picked different players at each of our selections. We are just going to have to wait to see who was right.

edit June 30th: just notice I originally post "wouldn't picked different player at each of our selections. I now correct to my intended 'would have' picked different..

Last edited:
The Texans think they did get their two bookends for a decade. You just disagree. They also got extra player by not trading up. I would have not trade it up but I wouldn't pick different players at each of our selections.to wait to see who was right.

You always hate to spend extra draft picks .... but when you have areas on your team that hurt the rest of the team, literally and figuratively .... for going on a decade, you've got to do something. We got some pretty good players and hopefully they grow into the type of linemen that we all hope
they will. Maybe our greatest concern should lie with O'Brien and his reaction, (if he's still here), when they do not become the bookends we all hope they will. Pretty sure he'll say, ...."what do you want, I spent a 1st and a 2nd on the line, didn't I .... what more can I do ?"

You always hate to spend extra draft picks .... but when you have areas on your team that hurt the rest of the team, literally and figuratively .... for going on a decade, you've got to do something. We got some pretty good players and hopefully they grow into the type of linemen that we all hope
they will. Maybe our greatest concern should lie with O'Brien and his reaction, (if he's still here), when they do not become the bookends we all hope they will. Pretty sure he'll say, ...."what do you want, I spent a 1st and a 2nd on the line, didn't I .... what more can I do ?"

Yep, if it doesn't workout then he will have wished Gaine traded up. They could've used the Scharping pick to trade back and get an extra 3rd then drafted Dillard.

They must really like Howard.

If the bookends don't work out......does OB have the nads to say that this was Gaine's draft and failure for not landing better T's b/c I can only coach what I'm given. At some point, this lame excuse is going to get him fired b/c he must see his position coaches in a different light.

The Texans think they did get their two bookends for a decade. You just disagree. They also got extra player by not trading up. I would have not trade it up but I wouldn't pick different players at each of our selections. We are just going to have to wait to see who was right.

I thought the same. But if we really made an offer on Trent Williams I don't know.

If the bookends don't work out......

If Howard is a straight up bust & we can't find any use for him at all, I blame the coaches. Today, without question it cannot be denied that Howard is a good prospect & should have some kind of career in the NFL. He may not be the next Jason Peters, Andre Dillard may go on to a HOF career, still our coaches should be able to develop Howard to a half decent starter.

Last edited:
If Howard is a straight up bust & we can't find any use for him at all, I blame the coaches. Today, without question it cannot be denied that Howard is a good prospect & should have some kind of career in the NFL. He may not be the next Jason Peters, Andre Dillard may go on to a HOF career, still our coaches should be able to develop Howard to a half decent starter.

This is exactly what I fear .... that he will be good enough to start at some position, at some point, for some team. We've actually got enough players of that skill level on the roster right now - working hard each day, to become - a starting lineman - somewhere in the league. Actually .... that is success .... I guess !

I would agree with you if you [in bold] had used if rather than when; perhap unintentionally but you appear to be saying Howard and Scharping may not become bookends for the future as though covering all bets. Also, I have not ruled out Davenport and Henderson.

Yep, if it doesn't workout then he will have wished Gaine traded up. They could've used the Scharping pick to trade back and get an extra 3rd then drafted Dillard.

They must really like Howard.
I also like Howard just not #23 which could have brought us another really good prospect. IMO, Howard would have been at #54 as almost no one had him actually taken before. Doesn't matter he was #23. I'm hoping Davenport makes the jump I think he will allowing Kalil to spend his millions GTD off the roster. His pass efficiency ending 2017 was 83.6 but was before his knee injury wiped all 2018. Barring something in preseason that I don't see, I expect Kalil to be cut. I want others to get any snaps he might take. We can use his $3 million elsewhere.

Standby for SbT diatribe...

I also like Howard just not #23 which could have brought us another really good prospect. IMO, Howard would have been at #54 as almost no one had him actually taken before. Doesn't matter he was #23. I'm hoping Davenport makes the jump I think he will allowing Kalil to spend his millions GTD off the roster. His pass efficiency ending 2017 was 83.6 but was before his knee injury wiped all 2018. Barring something in preseason that I don't see, I expect Kalil to be cut. I want others to get any snaps he might take. We can use his $3 million elsewhere.

Standby for SbT diatribe...

Hope in one hand and crap in the other, Davenport will never be a starting level LT in the NFL. Although BOB will probably start him. SMH

I got to take a post it to remind me never shake hands with you. I do expect Davenport to start at left tackle.

I agree with you. I would think it to be north of a 50/50 chance, that Davenport is the starter at LT, at least at the beginning of the year. I think he was a better pick, (where he was taken), than either of the players from this past draft - (considering where they were taken).

I would agree with you if you [in bold] had used if rather than when; perhap unintentionally but you appear to be saying Howard and Scharping may not become bookends for the future as though covering all bets. Also, I have not ruled out Davenport and Henderson.

In my initial post, I actually did have - if and when - in front of bookends .... and in front of O'Brien. It felt like it had become an opinion completely based on supposition .... so I thought I could clarify by omission .... it's hard not to lose clarity in translation !

The Texans think they did get their two bookends for a decade. You just disagree. They also got extra player by not trading up. I would have not trade it up but I would have picked different players at each of our selections. We are just going to have to wait to see who was right.

edit June 30th: just notice I originally post "wouldn't picked different player at each of our selections. I now correct to my intended 'would have' picked different..

I was just perusing some of the posts and reread this one. It reminds me of a quote from Casablanca .... Rick (Humphrey Bogart) to Ugarte (Peter Lorre) .... "I don't mind a parasite .... I object to a cut-rate one."

Back