Olinemen in the 2019 draft.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texansphan, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Yeah it's early for draft threads with Texans about to go to the postseason but it is pretty obvious to even a casual fan that our franchise QB needs better protection going forward.
    The college ball season is almost complete now so we have a better idea of who the best prospects are.
    Some of the posters in here are obvious college ball fans and have a good grasp of the better performers or those who could succeed at the next level.
    With this in mind, who do you like as oline prospects in this upcoming draft?
    Please give as much detail (school, etc,) as you can plus why you think they could be good.
    I also have no problem with other suggestions for a better oline in Houston.

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

lot's of good info here

3. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Here are some of the guys that are on my list that I think will be available at our draft slot:

LT
    Y. Cajuste- WVU
    Draft Network “Yodney Cajuste projects favorably as a starting left tackle in a gap/power heavy running offense. Cajuste has some restrictions in his pass protection, working in a scheme that offers a lot of short sets and slide protections would be ideal for his physical skill set. Cajuste has the needed length and mobility to be an effective starter elsewhere, however. Teams needing an upgrade could feasibly start Cajuste as a rookie in 2019 but NFL speed will test him initially.”

C. Ford- Oklahoma
    Draft Network “Ford’s tape is among the best and most fun of the 2019 offensive line class, as he shows everything from high-end promise to unbelievably physical finishes. The muscle of the Oklahoma offensive line, Ford has just one year as a full-time starter under his belt, but already his mental processing and technique are pretty impressive. He’s a mauler at the point of attack, while also possessing the athleticism to get out in space and the agility in pass protection to shut down all types of rushers.

There is no question that right now his physical and athletic gifts are superior to his polish, but Ford has the traits to be a top-tier player in the NFL. He needs refinement and proper coaching, preferably at tackle first and then moving to guard if he consistently struggles on the outside. Ford’s ceiling may be higher at guard, but his value could be greater at tackle if he hits. The redshirt junior should be one of the biggest risers of the pre-draft process and has a legitimate shot to be a first round pick.”

M. Scharping- Northern Illinois
    Draft Network- “Max Scharping is a four-year starter that enters the NFL with experience at both left and right tackle although his best NFL course could be playing inside at guard. His lack of foot quickness and lateral mobility limit his upside in a zone blocking scheme while he isn’t a consistent drive blocker to project him favorably to man schemes. By year three, Scharping has the upside to provide depth if he can prove his versatility at the next level. He has the potential to fill a starting role in time should he reach every bit of his full potential.“

Unfortunately, this isn’t a great LT class, so I hope we get someone solid whether it’s draft or FA

RT
    D. Edwards- Wisconsin
    Draft Network “Is an absolute monster in the run game. Capable of blowing the doors open and producing large rushing lanes for the ball carrier. Effective in head up blocks to run the feet and roll hips through contact, isn’t reliant on double teams to physically dominate. Looming frame offers a lot of reach as well, has long arms and the ability to extend and ride rushers beyond the peak of the pocket when tested in pass sets. Has a splendid ability to detach on chip blocks and double teams to address a second level defender. Is a finisher, will walk opponents out of the frame completely and plays with tenacity through the whistle.”

D. Risner- Kansas State
    Draft Network “Dalton Risner has been one of the better offensive linemen in college football for a long time now, largely due to his masterful hand technique and punishing demeanor. Extremely physical and aggressive, Risner has started three straight seasons at right tackle for Kansas State, locking down every type of rusher and hardly ever losing a 1v1 matchup. In the run game, he brings power and technique, while also being able to get out in space and make high degree of difficulty blocks on a per game basis.”

K. McGary- Washington
    Draft Network “A 3.5 -year starter who returned to school last year to help lead Washington to a PAC-12 title, McGary is a physical brute of an offensive lineman who may benefit from a move inside to guard. He lacks the technical footwork and mobility to excel on the edge against quicker defenders, and his high pad level leads to plenty of knock-back, condensing the pocket for his quarterback.

McGary has potential in the run game, showing the ability to move defenders and pave open lanes up front. If his pad level was better and his hand usage more sudden, we could be talking about a more dominant player on the ground, but I don’t know if it is realistic to expect that given his experience. McGary is too limited to play outside in my opinion, but I would be curious to watch his development as a guard, although pad level concerns give me pause there as well.”

OG
    C. Lindstrom- Boston College
    Draft Network “I’ve watched a good bit of Lindstrom tape over the past two years, and there really isn’t much to dislike. He has no major flaws in his game, is extremely consistent in his approach and has the experience needed to make an easy transition to the NFL. Few guards offer his combination of size, movement skills and technique, as Lindstrom rarely loses any 1v1 battles and consistently creates movement in the run game. He may not be an elite prospect, but Lindstrom looks like an immediate starter with enough scheme versatility to work for almost any NFL team.”

Personally, I’d be happy if we were able to draft Cajuste or Ford, Risner, and Lindstrom in the first 3 rounds. That’s very much wishful thinking though.

Texansphan and JB like this.
  4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Thanks for the info

5. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Great stuff - thanks.

TexansFan15 likes this.
  6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

My favorite OT's that could be available for the Texans where they will be picking are.

Little
    Cajuste
    Risner
    Scharping

TexansFan15 and JB like this.
  7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I would add Edwards and Ford to that list based on info above... haven't watched any to note

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Have seen a little tape on Scharping, Cajuste and Ford...I'm not impressed with Scharping nor Ford. Both look quite slow foot wise to be playing in the NFL.

Cajuste is the only guy who looks like he can handle those speed edge rushers much better. nice quick feet & he works from a strong base. The thing with him that might be an issue is his arms look kinda short....to me anyway.

Having said that, i don't look at these guys all that often...so take that for what its worth.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I also like Dillard from Washington St. alot.

Real good feet.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Remember how long the Colts ran this division Despite not being able to protect Andrew Luck?

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Your point is?

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

This season isn't over.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I still dont understand what your post has to do with this post?

14. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Texans need to get two of these 5 - somehow:-
    Y Cajuste LT
    C Ford LT
    D Edwards RT
    D Risner RT
    C Lindstrom G

All of them should be starters, with potential to grow and learn.
    You can burn the first three picks to make sure you get 'em.

15. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

That would be great. However, based on where we likely will be picking and where Cajusty will likely be selected, it may take those three picks just to move that far up and get him. Almost certainly will take two of them. I am not sure any of those guys would make it to the end of the second round to be able to select the second one there.

steelbtexan likes this.
  16. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Cajuste might be there but with such a lack of olinemen carrying over from last year, there may still be a lot of pressure to force them higher this year.
    With a bit of luck, a few teams might blow their wad on QBs early and with such a quality field of Dlinemen, teams may be tempted to go bpa with those.
    There is a good chance a good olineman will be there for us - however, Texans may be forced to "reach" a little to get one but their history suggests they won't reach.
    In fact, if a really strong talent on the D is available, I can see us taking him - even if it is Dline and not Corner.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    OptimisticTexan likes this.
  17. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

This is kinda what I've been leaning towards for the Texans since this draft is considered weak at the O-line position and strong at the D-line position. It wouldn't bother me if they did pick a DE like Zach Allen from Boston College if he fell to them late in the 1st. This would be their insurance if Clowney doesn't sign an extension or Watt/Clowney go down with another injury. The good thing about all of the defensive players possibly being taken early is that it should push some of the O-linemen down in the draft and you should get better value when you do pick one. I know they need O-line help pretty bad but it does them no good to reach for an OT in the 1st if he's not worth it with tons of better defensive talent still on the board!

Texansphan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I want the best corner we can get … then we'll talk about the OL. :hides:

I'd address OL in the second or via FA , they are a bit cheaper than good corners ….

infantrycak, OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Give me Donovan Smith/John Brown in FA

Draft Cajuste in the 1st

Trade a 2nd for Jenkins

Draft a CB with the other 2nd, if there was one I really liked I would trade up in the 2nd using a 3rd for him.

3rd best RB available

Blocking TE

OG/C later in the draft.

Call it an offseason and this all realistically can be done. Good thing is more CB's will become available for trade as the offseason gets closer to the draft.

JB likes this.
  20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Why would the Giants trade Jenkins? Do they have a plethora of good CB's?