Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Official 2010 Training Camp Thread

No problem. It was a nice way to finish a short vacation. Friday, Saturday and Sunday where the first practices I've missed in a few years, but a little R&R on the beach was much needed.

Yeah, I went Friday and it was great. I would have liked to have gone back when they put the pads on, but you know how work is. :gun:

Regardless, only 12 days until our first preseason game. How f'in AWESOME is that!?!?!?!

:splits:

So are you saying he's bigger, or smaller or what?
Smaller. Mom and I said to him you don't like quite the same and he basically said yhea. The good news is he is stll on his game pretty much and has my full support.

Sorry guys, perhaps I should not have brought this up it's no big deal I still love Cushing and think he's still going to a good player. I did not mean to start any debates once again. I hope you guys understand.

Don't be sorry, nobody is jumping on you. Everyone is going to have an opinion about how he looks or how his game is. The guy is under a microscope for what happened.
Yhea, and it might be a combo of the offseason training and being off the PED's all together but to be truthful I am not sure.

Yhea, and it might be a combo of the offseason training and being off the PED's all together but to be truthful I am not sure.

Just for clarification has it been said that Cushing's suspension is for PEDs?

There are many banned substances that are not steroids.

Just for clarification has it been said that Cushing's suspension is for PEDs?

There are many banned substances that are not steroids.

He had a high hCG level in his blood and hCG can be used to get the testosterone levels back to normal after a PED circle.

Smaller. Mom and I said to him you don't like quite the same and he basically said yhea. The good news is he is stll on his game pretty much and has my full support.
Dang Gary, thanks, finally for the clarification because you had me going. I couldn't figure out if you're perception of him was as smaller or larger ?
I do know the Texans main web site lists him at 259, but they listed him at 263 at the end of last year, but I don't think you were talking about a mere 4 lbs ?
On another subject, I know it's early but does anyone have any concerns about our # 1 pick ? And wasn't one of the reasons for taking this particular corner was he had 30 starts (or was it 40 ?) in a big-time program in a big-time conference ? IIRC our 4th and 6th round cornerback draft picks (Quin & McCain) from last year each had a more auspicious start than Jackson ?

Did you all think Brian's skin color had changed or maybe he turned into a girl? Lol, I am just joking.

Dang Gary, thanks, finally for the clarification because you had me going. I couldn't figure out if you're perception of him was as smaller or larger ?
I do know the Texans main web site lists him at 259, but they listed him at 263 at the end of last year, but I don't think you were talking about a mere 4 lbs ?
On another subject, I know it's early but does anyone have any concerns about our # 1 pick ? And wasn't one of the reasons for taking this particular corner was he had 30 starts (or was it 40 ?) in a big-time program in a big-time conference ? IIRC our 4th and 6th round cornerback draft picks (Quin & McCain) from last year each had a more auspicious start than Jackson ?

It's a tough call. He's still green, but he's going against the best in the league....and AJ will make anyone look like a scrub. He's going to have to learn a lot in a short amount of time, but I don't think we'll get a clearer idea until the preseason starts and we can see him against normal receivers. I hope he turns out to be awesome, but I don't think he'll be a candidate for ROTY or anything like that. I think it'll be a feast or famine type thing with him. He'll do really bad and then really good. Hopefully he'll find that middle ground soon.

It's a tough call. He's still green, but he's going against the best in the league....and AJ will make anyone look like a scrub. He's going to have to learn a lot in a short amount of time, but I don't think we'll get a clearer idea until the preseason starts and we can see him against normal receivers. I hope he turns out to be awesome, but I don't think he'll be a candidate for ROTY or anything like that. I think it'll be a feast or famine type thing with him. He'll do really bad and then really good. Hopefully he'll find that middle ground soon.

I think it's impossible to judge a rookie one week into training camp. Obviously, I'd love to see him picking off passes and not gettin burned. But, aside from poor workout habits and being uncoachable, I wouldn't think any alarms are going to go off in the coaches heads just yet.

NickScurfield
Martinez injured his hamstring on Saturday. Rookie WR Trindon Holliday is also out w/ a hamstring injury, leaving Texans w/ 7 healthy WRs

NickScurfield
The Texans have placed WR Glenn Martinez on injured reserve and signed WR London Crawford, whom they released on June 16

NickScurfield

Head coach Gary Kubiak says 3rd-rd pick DT Earl Mitchell "looks like a heck of a draft choice." He's been impressive in camp. #Texans

NickScurfield
Martinez injured his hamstring on Saturday. Rookie WR Trindon Holliday is also out w/ a hamstring injury, leaving Texans w/ 7 healthy WRs

NickScurfield
The Texans have placed WR Glenn Martinez on injured reserve and signed WR London Crawford, whom they released on June 16

NickScurfield

Head coach Gary Kubiak says 3rd-rd pick DT Earl Mitchell "looks like a heck of a draft choice." He's been impressive in camp. #Texans

Is this a way to put off cutting him? IR doesn't count against the roster, eh?

Is this a way to put off cutting him? IR doesn't count against the roster, eh?

Put off cutting him? Ehh I dont know about that. Anyhow, he's on IR now and is done for the season. And no, he doesnt count against the roster now that he's on IR. Crawford takes his spot on the 80 man roster. Expect Crawford to be cut come roster cut time ;)

Since he's on IR, that frees up a roster spot... hence our signing of Crawford.

But the only real reason Martinez was on the team was because of his special teams ability. Odds are, he was not going to make the team this year anyway. WR spots are like platinum this year. You've got to be a monstah to grab a spot on our WR corp.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7136502.html
Learning from the best

Rookie cornerback Kareem Jackson is getting a lot of practice time against receiver Andre Johnson. The idea is if Jackson, the first-round pick, can stick with Johnson, he can cover anyone.

"You've got to think about who (opposing receivers) we're getting him ready to play against," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We're going to line him up against No. 80 all day long.

"I told him in front of his teammates yesterday, 'A lot of guys might get a false impression where they're at as a player. You won't have that when you come out this camp because you'll working against one of the best.'"

M. Williams M.I.A

Defensive end Mario Williams missed another practice because of a hip injury. He got an injection in his hip. His status is day-to-day.

"He had the injection this morning," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We'll watch it (swelling in his hip) through (today) I'm sure. We've got to get the inflammation out of his hip. If we could do that, we'd feel better about putting him back to work.

"The bottom line it's too early in this thing. We going to get exactly the way we want it before we proceed forward. It's a preventative thing more than anything."

Slaton starting strong

Third-year running back Steve Slaton is off to a strong start in camp. He's showing no signs of the neck surgery he underwent in the offseason. He's trying to get back his starting job from Arian Foster.

Slaton is also returning kickoffs in practice.

"I've been impressed by the way he's been working," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We we have him back there working as a kick returner now. I think he's himself. He's got his confidence back. He enjoys being out here. I think that's important."

London calling

London Crawford, a 6-2, 203-pound wide receiver from Arkansas, was signed on Monday.

Glenn Martinez, who made the team as a backup receiver and return man last season, was placed on injured reserve because of a hamstring injury.

Mitchell 'explosive'

Defensive tackleEarl Mitchell, the Houstonian drafted in the third round out of Arizona, continues to impressive his teammates and coaches with his quickness, his athleticism and his relentlessness.

"He's built in a way that's kind of tough to stop if you're explosive," offensive tackle Eric Winston said. "He's a big (6-3, 300) defensive tackle, but he's got a low center of gravity.

He's going to be a tough player to stop because he's explosive off the ball. It's hard to get under him. He's going to be able to get some push. He's all about working, staying in it, not looking too far ahead."

Brown and Rackers go head to head

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7136481.html

I think Holliday ends up on the IR. Unless he's able to turn things around I just can't justify giving him a roster spot at this time. Placing him on the IR will keep him out of the reach of the other teams and allow him to concentrate on his job for next year.

Just a random thought. :)

I think Holliday ends up on the IR. Unless he's able to turn things around I just can't justify giving him a roster spot at this time. Placing him on the IR will keep him out of the reach of the other teams and allow him to concentrate on his job for next year.

That may indeed happen...But...

If Little dude gets healthy in time to return a few kicks during the pre-season I don't think they will be able to keep him off the active roster...Unless they are just "faking" this whole hamstring thing as a ploy to get him on IR, I don't think they will be able to keep him off the roster...

Hands down, he is the best return man on the team...

If he shows that he's healthy enough, I think that it will benefit us a lot to go ahead an use his abilities.

I know a lot of people want to see him "do something else", but personally, I like players who are outstanding, no matter where their outstanding talents may lie. We kept a guy who just long snapped for years...The Bears initially just used Hester as a return man and he was definitely a game changing weapon. If we can eliminate the "long snapper" position and replace it with "return man" then I'm all for it.

Also, I do not know if I want Andre Davis on this roster anymore...Maybe we can trade him for something...

He'll be valuable as a return man. They won't keep him out a year just because he's not ready for WR.

Also, I do not know if I want Andre Davis on this roster anymore...Maybe we can trade him for something...

Andre Davis has a large cap number this year, I can't see him not getting cut even if it is only a money saving measure.

He is the 8th highest paid player with $3,450,000 being owed this year. You don't pay that sort of money to a backup WR and an average return man.

NickScurfield
The Texans' kicking competition between Kris Brown and Neil Rackers began today in front of the team. Brown: 5-of-6. Rackers: 6-of-6

NickScurfield
Brown's miss was close, hooked just left and maybe a bit short from 43 yards. Texans coach Gary Kubiak was impressed w/ both kickers today

IR means he can't participate in any practices (well, not without violating NFL rules anyway). I don't think that really does much for Holliday, or the Texans.

He was taken at the tail end of the 6th round. If he doesn't show enough to actually make the Texans 53 man squad, I seriously doubt that he will have shown enough to make the teams who passed on him 5 or 6 times get rid of someone who would otherwise make their 53 man roster just to bring him in.

IR means he can't participate in any practices (well, not without violating NFL rules anyway). I don't think that really does much for Holliday, or the Texans.

He was taken at the tail end of the 6th round. If he doesn't show enough to actually make the Texans 53 man squad, I seriously doubt that he will have shown enough to make the teams who passed on him 5 or 6 times get rid of someone who would otherwise make their 53 man roster just to bring him in.

I'm aware he can't practice with the team. It doesn't mean he can't practice by himself, back at LSU or another training facility. Supposedly Troy Nolan worked his butt off when he was IR'd.

It was a random thought I had, geez. IMO, IRing a player just seems like a good way to shelf a player without other teams getting him

The Texans' kicking competition between Kris Brown and Neil Rackers began today in front of the team. Brown: 5-of-6. Rackers: 6-of-6

gladiator1.jpg

This is some serious business.

JJ will not be returning punts and kicks, if I remember what some other posters had learned from Kubiak's statements around the time of the draft.

So that means someone has to do it. I think Trin makes the roster. He won't clear waivers if he's cut, IMO, so Practice Squad is not really an option. This will especially be true if he busts open several nice-looking punt returns in preseason. He'll have put himself on the radar of about 31 other NFL teams if he hits the waiver wire at final cuts. Every team looks for an edge, and I think Trin's punt return skills do exactly that. There were times when punters were shanking kicks out of bounds just to avoid letting Jacoby get a return off it.

The return game, especially on punts, is huge for us. Jacoby's punt returns have maneuvered us into great field position in the past. If we don't put Trin out there as at least a punt returner, then someone has a screw loose. Period.

Went to the Battle Red Ladies practice today. I was watching OD run laps around the track, and his right calf looks a LOT smaller than his left. I took some video and pics, will try to post after the upload.

He came over after practice, said he was working hard to get back.

D. Brown came over (gave me his gloves), Trindon Holliday, Jacoby Jones, Kareem Jackson and a few others also came over.

The body language between the kickers is chilly, K Brown was always watching Rackers, he would turn his head to see if it was good. You can tell they are both competing.

It was really nice, no more than 50 people there.

I'm aware he can't practice with the team. It doesn't mean he can't practice by himself, back at LSU or another training facility. Supposedly Troy Nolan worked his butt off when he was IR'd.

It was a random thought I had, geez. IMO, IRing a player just seems like a good way to shelf a player without other teams getting him

It wasn't my intent to ridicule the idea, I'm just saying if he can't make our 53 man roster as a returner, I don't think he's at risk of getting picked up by anyone else, and I'd much rather have him getting NFL coaching and NFL mentoring then heading off on his own.

It wasn't my intent to ridicule the idea, I'm just saying if he can't make our 53 man roster as a returner, I don't think he's at risk of getting picked up by anyone else, and I'd much rather have him getting NFL coaching and NFL mentoring then heading off on his own.

I know, bro, it's coo. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how they hold on to Holiday, Dickerson and even Shelly Smith. I reckon it's a positive thing. We now have decent depth, making it more difficult for players to make the team.

It was just a random thought I had by shelving him on IR. Odds are, it'll end up being a dumb and useless thought. :)

It wasn't my intent to ridicule the idea, I'm just saying if he can't make our 53 man roster as a returner, I don't think he's at risk of getting picked up by anyone else

I disagree...

If we cut Holiday, there is no way he makes it through waivers.

I know, bro, it's coo. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how they hold on to Holiday, Dickerson and even Shelly Smith. I reckon it's a positive thing. We now have decent depth, making it more difficult for players to make the team.

It was just a random thought I had by shelving him on IR. Odds are, it'll end up being a dumb and useless thought. :)

I thought about stashing him on Reserve PUP. He would lose three weeks of in season practice, but it gives everyone time to make the call for activation in week 7.

Back