Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Official 2006 Senior Bowl Game Day Thread

NFLTexans2002

Practice Squad
Hi, all Houston Texans fans! Today is the day the 2006 Senior Bowl Presented By Food World will be played featuring the most talented College Senior football student player/athletes to be played at 3:00pm Houston/Central time at Ladd-Peebles Stadium at Mobile, Alabama.

Texans General Manager Charlie Casserly and the Player Personnel Department look forward to which Seniors could be drafted as future Texan players. Mike Nolan and his San Francisco 49er coaching staff will lead the South Team versus Jeff Fisher and his Tennessee Titans coaching staff coaching the North Team.

I hope and wouldn't be surprised if selected players and coaches are miked during this game from both the sidelines, and on the field. General Managers and scouts from all the NFL teams traditionally flock for this game to witness and evaluate future NFL players, and prepare and make reports for the upcoming NFL draft in April. I wish all these NCAA College Football Senior players a great performance on the field.

There are several links of the Senior Bowl from their home page including the week's activities from the City Of Mobile prior to the game, player rosters, and team history. Enjoy!

http://www.seniorbowl.com/2006/

http://www.al.com

http://www.thelowpriceplace.com

Alot of interesting players. Long way till April. I'll be looking atthe two big gaurds Jean Giles and Futui for the 33 pick. Hill only 183 #'s , looked bigger to me. There's you are # two receiver all of you crying for a better one. Robinson is making the move to WR and he can be had late on day two. Also, bumps Tony Banks to the streets where he belongs. Adios amigo.

I will be watching the Oline and corners very intently. Winston, Mangold, D'Brick, Eslinger, Ryan Cook, Setterstrom will be eyed closely. Eventhough D'brick is getting the manlove from everyone, Winston and Mangold are said to be stealing the show. They are mean and strong and just going out and handling everything being thrown at them. If the practices were any sign of things to come Marcus McNeil may be falling to the second round, I doubt it, but it could happen. Winston and D'brick are looking like the class of the draft, eventhough we have yet to see Winston Justice.

Coach C. said:
I will be watching the Oline and corners very intently. Winston, Mangold, D'Brick, Eslinger, Ryan Cook, Setterstrom will be eyed closely. Eventhough D'brick is getting the manlove from everyone, Winston and Mangold are said to be stealing the show. They are mean and strong and just going out and handling everything being thrown at them. If the practices were any sign of things to come Marcus McNeil may be falling to the second round, I doubt it, but it could happen. Winston and D'brick are looking like the class of the draft, eventhough we have yet to see Winston Justice.

I look forward to reading your assesments Coach. Unlike some folks, you seem to be able to evaluate a player without interjecting an agenda and I appreciate that.

Coach C. said:

If we can just get Winston I would be happy about this draft. I really feel his talent and nastiness are exectly what this team needs most.

someone has a man crush on Eric Winston :love:

no way the Texans draft him if he is proving healthy enough to be a top 15 pick, we are too far out of postion in the order, although I was hoping he would slip to the 2nd which looks unlikely now, maybe 18 to the Cowboys.

seems we should focus on D'Brick as our #1 (trade down) and our 2nd pick Jonathan Scott, Davin Joseph & Daryn Colledge :) :cool:

beerlover said:
someone has a man crush on Eric Winston :love:

no way the Texans draft him if he is proving healthy enough to be a top 15 pick, we are too far out of postion in the order, although I was hoping he would slip to the 2nd which looks unlikely now, maybe 18 to the Cowboys.

seems we should focus on D'Brick as our #1 (trade down) and our 2nd pick Jonathan Scott, Davin Joseph & Daryn Colledge :) :cool:

I doubt the Cowboys draft Winston, or any other OL, in the 1st...The last time they drafted an OL in the first round was 1981...They've had luck with second rounders, and I can't see them jumping on Winston when there is good depth at the position and they have other needs...

Anyway, I'm going to have to miss the game because of work (I hate Best Buy), so I'm looking forward to you guys' analysis and breakdown of the game...

D-ReK said:
I doubt the Cowboys draft Winston, or any other OL, in the 1st...The last time they drafted an OL in the first round was 1981...They've had luck with second rounders, and I can't see them jumping on Winston when there is good depth at the position and they have other needs...

Anyway, I'm going to have to miss the game because of work (I hate Best Buy), so I'm looking forward to you guys' analysis and breakdown of the game...

buy a DVR @ Best Buy make you hate work less.......maybe :rolleyes: or roll with a Dish like I do, have to go to my sons Basketball game today (same time) so I'll still get a chance to watch it when I get back.

the Cowboys do need a LT if a franchise one is available with the 18th pick that represents excellent value or a top WR like Santonio Holmes :)

Coach C. said:
If the practices were any sign of things to come Marcus McNeil may be falling to the second round, I doubt it, but it could happen. Winston and D'brick are looking like the class of the draft, eventhough we have yet to see Winston Justice.
While D'brick is the star of this group, and I know you like Winston a lot
Coach, don't you think that if we could somehow snag McNeil with our 33rd
pick, it would be a tremendous pick-up for us ? McNeil is a mauler and though
maybe not quite athletic enough for LT, he'd fit in great for us at RT, especially with the way Chester finished the year at LT. Or perhaps you
don't think Chester should be our long-term LT ?

Crap it looks like I won't be able to see this game live, gotta do family stuff. Would someone give me thier opion on T. Howard LB UTEP for the south, He should be #40. Particularly I am interested in how his strength is coming along, he's got fantastic speed and accelerations, I just want to see how he stacks up amongst the other LB's.

I am looking forward to good reports from you all as this is one of the better boards around at looking at rookie NFL talent.

As the world prepares for next week's Super Bowl more than 1,000 NFL scouts, coaches, general managers and members of the media descended upon Mobile, Ala. They joined 100 of the nation's top senior prospects for the 2006 version of Senior Bowl week.

Possibly the most important pre-draft scouting event of the year, the Senior Bowl gives scouts and coaches their only opportunity to watch the most talented football players in America practice in full-pads.

There have been some dramatic shifts in draft status over the years, from Phillip Rivers ascending up the boards in 2004, to Matt Jones moving from a late-round pick at quarterback to first-round selection at receiver last year.

So with the game ready to kick off on Saturday, who were the stars of practice this week?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/01/26/pauline.senior.bowl/index.html

more from the practices
http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/SeniorBowl.cfm

SeniorBowl_TuesdayMorn6.jpg

DRIFTAWAY said:
if the senior bowl game is today what was the college game a week or so back?

The Shrine game was in San Antonio and the Hula Bowl was in Hawaii. There are just too many players to only have one game.

The Shrine and Hula were Day 2 and lower rated players for the most part. The Senior is the highest rated group and is run by the NFL. It's basically the first NFL mini-camp for these guys, followed by an exhibition.

Cutler looked sharp in his first drive -- except for the pick. Ced Griffin made a great play and not a smart throw by Cutler over the middle in the endzone.

Bad drop by Derek Hagan - right in the numbers.

Deangelo Williams is looking strong.

Jahmile Addae , Safety WVU appears to have hurt his knee... check that ...it looked worse than it was - he's okay

i think that pick was a little less bad throw and a lot more awesome play by griffin. i think if he lead haggan a bit more the ball might still have been catchable, but a fantastic play by griffin nonetheless

the south definitely has the stronger RBs in this game with Williams and Addai

Dominique Byrd gets love from the analyst for his blocking as well as his route running.

Thomas Howard should have had 6 just then... (dropped a pick with lots of green in front of him

Deangelo is going to be one hell of a RB. There's a case to be made about his value being right up there with Bush.

I saw Brick v. Kyle Williams a couple times....Orien Harris a couple times. Both of those guys project as tackles but they had them shading outside. A couple other times they put those 250 lb ends out there like Parys Haralson and Brick ate them up. I don't think Brick is seeing the best quality competition out there in the South DL - taking nothing away from Brick, of course, because he is very good.

Trapp just got around Winston too easily. I dunno, I still think Winston's
pass blocking is suspect.
Byrd continues to impress.

Hagan better quit while he's ahead.....he's dropping more than passes...he's dropping rounds...

Brick watch: Haven't seen him in the second quarter. I think everyone knows what he can do. I'm sure his agent was whispering in Fisher's ear to get him out of there as soon as he could.

Lots of replacements already.

Of course no of the other OT look any good compared to Brick. They all seemed a little slow. College, whom Ive watched closely seemed slow off the ball and he doesnt seem to have a lot of quickness trying to zone up to the LB level, LBs are outrunning him to the play and he is just chasing. Winston adn Scott look pretty average. They are both good but not amazing guys that will probably start their career at RT like Jordan Gross and Robert Gallery.

BYrd has impressed me. I would love to get him with one of our 3rd rounders.

Ferguson got beat then just now on the robinson run, he held his pass pro for a good 8 seconds before robinson took off.

no.. hes just talking out of his ***.

Robinson (QB) looks like Vince Young lite. Grab him in the 5th/6th/7th if he is available and start grooming him if Carr doesnt work out.

D'Brick got beat to the inside because he overcommited to the outside. The next to pass plays following the sack D'Brick completly dominated his man, they also got a 15 yard run right behind him. He is looking great, the one mistake he makes he comes back to dominate. I want me a Brick at LT.

Grid said:

Robinson (QB) looks like Vince Young lite. Grab him in the 5th/6th/7th if he is available and start grooming him if Carr doesnt work out.
Unless Carr is going to be playing WR next season, Michael Robinson is not going to be backing him up.

Grid said:

Robinson looks like Reggie Mcneal...

they are pretty much the same, with Reggie being a little smaller

aj. said:
Dominique Byrd gets love from the analyst for his blocking as well as his route running.

Thomas Howard should have had 6 just then... (dropped a pick with lots of green in front of him

Deangelo is going to be one hell of a RB. There's a case to be made about his value being right up there with Bush.
I said that and got blasted by Reggie Bush lovers. I saw him in the Motor City Bowl a while back. I have never seen a runner like him in college. Then again, I haven't seen many. My ROY pick.

mexican_texan said:
I said that and got blasted by Reggie Bush lovers. I saw him in the Motor City Bowl a while back. I have never seen a runner like him in college. Then again, I haven't seen many. My ROY pick.

I think that is a very smart pick as ROY. If he is drafted by the right team, he can become one of the better every down runners, and he also shoed during the Senior Bowl that he is good in blitz pick-up and has good hands out of the backfield.

Back