Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Oakland Raiders @ Houston Texans. 11/17. Noon. CBS. **Official Game Thread**

5ogpip.jpg

Just win, baby

Two weeks after suffering a mini-stroke, Houston's Gary Kubiak expects to return to coaching.

Kubiak has a bevy of arduous tasks in Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders, most notably trying to prevent the Texans from extending a franchise-worst losing streak to eight games.

Kubiak returned to work on a limited basis Monday - eight days after he collapsed at halftime of a 27-24 loss to Indianapolis - and was back at practice Wednesday.

"It just feels great to be back," he said. "You have a true appreciation for the opportunity that you have and the opportunity to be around the players ... and the chance to do my job again.

"I'm on kind of a different schedule - kind of hard to adjust to, but I'm adjusting to it. I'm listening to (the doctors)."

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips led the team in Kubiak's absence this past Sunday, and the Texans (2-7) were edged 27-24 by Arizona for a seventh straight defeat.

"I wasn't able to watch the whole thing," Kubiak said. "I watched parts of it. Very tough. I hurt with them. It was just hard to watch. It's hard to sit there and watch a football game when you've been there the whole time for the last 30 years."

That performance led to some disparaging comments from nine-time Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed and he was cut Tuesday in the middle of a lackluster season in which he lost his starting job. Houston also placed another Pro Bowler, running back Arian Foster, on injured reserve.

oa6hol.jpg

11m821g.jpg

f5877o.jpg

What I want to see:

Better blitz pick-up

Simple enough, right? From the coaching staff and play calling, to Case and surveying the 'D', the blitz must be watched at all times offensively. What happened in the KC and Zona games were horrible to look at.

Pressure, and lots of it on McGloin

This is his 1st career start, so making the game too fast for him is key. Texans didn't do too bad vs. Palmer when it came down to making him throw earlier than he may have wanted, so attacking the Raiders is important.

CK7 having better 2nd halves

He's been on the "ehh" to just flat out bad side of things in the 2nd half of his first three starts. 1 TD pass in the 2nd half, and a ton of bad sacks, along with some bad throws/poor reads. Must get the run game going (to me, part of why he's struggled) to avoid these crap 2nd halves.

WIN

7 straight Ls? Really? In the worst possible year to do it, too! Just plain ol' awful.

Well, folks....last 7 games of the season. We all just want to see our squad win one of these, right? No one wants to see 2-14 again. So, let's get a W, shall we? LET'S DO THIS ****, TEXANS!

*sigh* this would have been the perfect game to have coming up if we were 5-4 instead of 2-7. Could easily be 5-4. Ugh.

Go win. **** the Raiders.

With Terrell Pryor out for the raiders and Matt McGloin up for his first nfl start the Texans should win. Hopefully he is no Case Keenum and the Texans roll to a comfortable victory. The Texans have had trouble with the Raiders in the past so its not a gimme.

nevermind the draft!
lets go texans!!!
season record: 9-7!!!!!!!!!!!
If that happened, we would probably not make the necessary changes we need in the upcoming off-season to become Super Bowl contenders next season. And we would still miss the playoffs.

Wow, wouldn't that that be....not so special...
If we somehow run the table and finished 9-7 that would be good enough for Bob McNair to extend the current coaching staff another few years. He'd probably be sold on Case Keenum and we would be content with a team that has many holes especially on defense.

Add to that, we wouldn't be able to draft a stud like Clowney, Barr, Mosley or Matthews, all four of which, are going to be franchise players and taken in the top six. Even the QBs are enticing but we have some major problems right now on defense and right tackle. This team needs a lot of help. Losing to the Raiders and Jaguars these next two games would finally bring to the forefront that non-bias opinion.

A win today would only mask our long-term problems.

11-CBS-V4.png

Baltimore @ Chicago (red) -- Jim Nantz, Phil Simms [AK]
NY Jets @ Buffalo (green) -- Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts [HI]
Cleveland @ Cincinnati (yellow) -- Marv Albert, Rich Gannon
Oakland @ Houston (purple) -- Kevin Harlan, Solomon Wilcots
San Diego @ Miami (blue - LATE) -- Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf

Game Release

Officiating crew: Ron Winter

1. Get Andre Johnson touchdowns!
2. No stupid penalties on 3rd downs.
3. Block, block block.

Well here's where the Kubiak coached team starts looking good and winning meaningless games to save his job. I don't care what anyone says. All winning now does is prolong our suffering. There are about seven elite playerss in the upcoming draft. I want one of them.

Best thing about this game is it is Salute to Service day.

In a Ninja move of his own, watch Kubiak start Schaub ... :spit:

I'll be watching, but only in the soap opera aspect of it. Will Keenum have a good game? Will the Texans fall off the cliff in the 2nd half as usual? Will our kicker whats-his-Aggie-name miss some more FGs? Will the defense give up some highlight reel plays for the Oakland offense?

Stay tuned for the latest drama in As The Texans Turn. A Smithiack production brought to you by Hairless McNair and the Houston Pro Football Society of the Incredibly Distraught.

Vegas picks us to win by 7. This is hardly a hardy endorsement since 3 of those points reflect home field advantage.

In spite of this, I see Kubiak changing his colors after his brush with "disaster" and the Texans scoring high during both halves of this game. As long as our D doesn't collapse, I can see a runaway today.

Vegas picks us to win by 7. This is hardly a hardy endorsement since 3 of those points reflect home field advantage.

In spite of this, I see Kubiak changing his colors after his brush with "disaster" and the Texans scoring high during both halves of this game. As long as our D doesn't collapse, I can see a runaway today.

Sadly, the way this season is playing out I can not see this not happening.

I just turned down a ticket to todays game. Depression is kicking in

I just don't feel anything for this game today, will be interesting to see case's development (hopefully), but aside from that with any sort of respectability in our record now dissapeared, it's either lose out (bad) or worsen our draft position.

I'd like us to snag the #1 tbh and move back ~5 slots picking up a bounty in the process. Think with a clean house that kind of talent injection over the next couple of years could put us straight back over the top again.

Still, Kubiak has fought hard to piss poor records at the end of the season before so doubt they mail it in.

It's been upgraded to 10!

I see us putting points on the board, yes...a rare event - with most of them coming in the second half (another rare event).

Texans 41 (Bullock misses an extra point late in the 4th quarter with Oakland threatening in the last seconds).

Oakland 38 (A penalty thwarts their comeback in the waning seconds).

As much as I would like to see a complete dumpster fire of a season to better the chances of a house cleaning, we SHOULD win this one.

Damn you Kubiak for having a health scare. You probably just got yourself another year even if we lose today.

We gotta win today! Please. I don't ask for much, just a win every 8 games, is that too much to ask for? I don't wanna start asking for a win every nine games. GO TEXANS! Don't let us down... again.

I can't share your optimism. The defense is regressing and the running game has disappeared. I think Keenum to Johnson can produce enough magic for a win against the Raiders. But it won't be easy.

Inactives: TE Ryan Griffin, CB Elbert Mack, QB T.J. Yates, CB Kareem Jackson, LB Joe Mays, LB Mike Mohamed and G Cody White.

This is a must win game for Kubiak, with Terrell Pryor and Darren McFadden OUT today, a loss to Oakland would be a definite job killer.

McCain starting for Kareem.......oh my....
Does that mean Matthew McGloin will have his Ryan Fitzpatrick moment?
Nobody even knows who he is but I've seen this happen before back in 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8SA0XFPZB4

Of course, Fitzpatrick was a seventh-round pick out of Harvard.
This Matthew McGloin kid is an undrafted rookie, which would be even worse to lose to.

I've just got that bad feeling in my stomach about today's game.

This is a must win game for Kubiak, with Terrell Pryor and Darren McFadden OUT today, a loss to Oakland would be a definite job killer.
I think today we're all going to realize there's a serious problem with this team. Even those of you who have remained optimistic will not be happy.

Battle of the undrafted QBs and 2-7 vs 3-6. I'm surprised this doesn't have more national coverage. And who the heck are these 2 announcing the game?

How cool for JJ to carry out the American flag for the salute to service. Gave me chills.

Back