Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Oakland Raiders @ Houston Texans. 11/17. Noon. CBS. **Official Game Thread**

Of course it was a bad move and of course he's going to stick with Schaub.

What you guys are not acknowledging is that if it saves his job then it will be worth it for him. He doesn't care about the future, he cares about the now.

That's all I'm trying to say. I don't agree with what he did, but I totally understand why he did it.

And what I'm saying is that if kubiak believed that Schaub was the difference between being employed here next year he's dumber than I thought.

I thought that even if case lost every game he started a case could be made for kubiak playing out the last year of his deal.

But even if you put Matt in and he wins, so what?

What are you going to trot back out as the starter next year because he played ok at the end of the year?

I just don't agree with what you're saying. But I do respect your opinion. It's all good.

truth.

now we're seeing all the problems we failed to acknowledge because we thought schaub was the only problem.

I don't think everyone thought Schaub was the only problem. We just recognized with an O-line this bad, a guy who stands there like a statue gives you little chance to win. Keenum has more mobility out of the blitz, but still has trouble picking it up. The coaches need to be dialing up more plays to use against the blitz. The QB also needs to learn to see it at the line and change it up -- assuming Keenum is being given the latitude to do so.

I don't think everyone thought Schaub was the only problem. We just recognized with an O-line this bad, a guy who stands there like a statue gives you little chance to win. Keenum has more mobility out of the blitz, but still has trouble picking it up. The coaches need to be dialing up more plays to use against the blitz. The QB also needs to learn to see it at the line and change it up -- assuming Keenum is being given the latitude to do so.

some people on this site were ignorant to think a "mobile" qb would automatically make this team much much better.

but the truth is poor o-line play is a cancer that affects anything you want to do on offense. you may live a little longer but you will still die in the long run.

Did anyone notice Schaub not looking at Dennison when he was blasting the team. It looked like he was looking up to Kubiak making eye contact to put him in. Wonder if Kubiak told him he was going to put him in when they we spooning last night.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I thought that even if case lost every game he started a case could be made for kubiak playing out the last year of his deal.

I thought this as well. It's pretty clear at this point that he thinks wins are what will determine his fate. If he can get to 6-7 wins then he probably feels safe for next year.

Honestly, if this team wins more than 5 games I think McNair retains him for another year. If they end up with less and a top 5 pick then he will bring in a new coach, who will immediately use that top 5 pick on a QB.

I thought this as well. It's pretty clear at this point that he thinks wins are what will determine his fate. If he can get to 6-7 wins then he probably feels safe for next year.

Honestly, if this team wins more than 5 games I think McNair retains him for another year. If they end up with less and a top 5 pick then he will bring in a new coach, who will immediately use that top 5 pick on a QB.

I don't want to tank the season for draft picks, but really, if a strong finish saves this coaching staff, maybe it's another story....

are laughing their asses off at the bums we have on the right side.
why are brooks and newton still on the roster?

there must be two players on a practice squad somewhere, and if not we have got to keep looking!!!

because this o-line right now is like a busted condom!

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
Follow
Asked about booing/silent count, Ben Tate said it's disappointing how "wishy-washy" #Texans fans are. #NFL
4:23 PM - 17 Nov 2013

SHUT UP BEN :vincepalm:

Imagine what the record would be if we didn't have Shane Lechlar doing what he was doing in those first two games...

McNair doesn't even need to speak a word to Kubiak, it should be obvious that at the end of the season either Kubiak resigns gracefully for health reasons or he gets fired.

Dale Robertson
‏@sportywineguy
Andre Johnson took the blame for last incompletion. Said he didn't finish his route. #Texans

Dale Robertson
‏@sportywineguy
AJ said he and Schaub are OK, blaming heat of the moment for confrontation. Texans

User Actions
Follow

Brian T. Smith
‏@ChronBrianSmith
Andre Johnson said several times he messed up on final play and takes responsibility. Wouldn't go into detail.

Dale Robertson
‏@sportywineguy
Andre Johnson took the blame for last incompletion. Said he didn't finish his route. #Texans

Dale Robertson
‏@sportywineguy
AJ said he and Schaub are OK, blaming heat of the moment for confrontation. Texans

User Actions
Follow

Brian T. Smith
‏@ChronBrianSmith
Andre Johnson said several times he messed up on final play and takes responsibility. Wouldn't go into detail.

Pretty much...guys are just mentally spent trying to get out of this funk...when it initially happened i knew it was frustration with how this season has gone more than anything..

Schaub probably asked him why did he stop in a smart allecky kind of way and AJ frustrated with all this ****, and knowing that it was mostly on him tried to explain to him what he saw and why he did what he did.

AJ wants Schaub gone. Schaub wants his career to continue. No wonder they got into it

Poor Andre. He sees what a QB that has the balls to take chances can do fir him. I'm sure he's sick of the limp wristed, 'Ill take what tge defense gives me', fainting goat QB that he's had to be stuck with.

Andre knew it was on him, but the last thing he needed was Schaub or anyone else giving him crap about it. He felt it didn't need to be said at that moment.

You'll also notice that Andre gets really embarrassed any time he loses his temper. That's common in people who have a generally calm demeanor. That's why he'll avoid talking about it for the rest of the week.

Andre knew it was on him, but the last thing he needed was Schaub or anyone else giving him crap about it. He felt it didn't need to be said at that moment.

You'll also notice that Andre gets really embarrassed any time he loses his temper. That's common in people who have a generally calm demeanor. That's why he'll avoid talking about it for the rest of the week.

I felt this way but I just watch a replay on Sports Extra on ch 2. Dre was in triple coverage and running into another defender. Damn ball should not have been thrown to begin with.

are laughing their asses off at the bums we have on the right side.
why are brooks and newton still on the roster?

there must be two players on a practice squad somewhere, and if not we have got to keep looking!!!

because this o-line right now is like a busted condom!

brandon brooks has actually graded out OK for the season.

newton, not so much.

Duane Brown would have graded higher if he didn't have to play injured. This goes back to the depth problem. No swing tackle. I bet we could've gotten one with that Sam Montgomery pick.

Duane Brown would have graded higher if he didn't have to play injured. This goes back to the depth problem. No swing tackle. I bet we could've gotten one with that Sam Montgomery pick.

Well we'd already used a 3rd on Brennan Williams so I doubt they'd have wanted to go OT again. Maybe if they would've gotten a tackle who wasn't injured that would've been better. We sure could've used a LB or anyone really with the Montgomery pick but we should be used to wasting 3rd round picks around here.

Well we'd already used a 3rd on Brennan Williams so I doubt they'd have wanted to go OT again. Maybe if they would've gotten a tackle who wasn't injured that would've been better. We sure could've used a LB or anyone really with the Montgomery pick but we should be used to wasting 3rd round picks around here.

They did get one but he landed on IR - Quiz.

i agree to some extent. his toe definitely cost him some pff points, but... this is not a typical DB kind of year.

i personally loved what i saw out of quessenberry. it's a shame he broke his foot because i think he would currently be our starting LG.

They did get one but he landed on IR - Quiz.

That is something that Kubiak will take some undeserved criticism for. He did try to address the RT position in the draft, but both picks promptly headed to IR before seeing a snap.

I'm wondering why Ben Jones hasn't been rotated in for Wade Smith at all. Smith is obviously playing below his ability.

“What was happening was, we had to make a lot of changes from a protection standpoint to handle some of the things they were doing,” Kubiak said after the game. “Trying to create some tempo and do that. And it made it very tough on Case, in my opinion, being a young player. I knew that Matt could get done some of the things that I wanted to get done, real fast, and to give us a chance to win the football game. So that’s why I did it.”

Link.

He makes a good point. I honestly can't say what is best for the team. It's now a contention between practical football decisions vs. fan (customer) perception. Keenum would benefit from the experience, but Kubiak is focusing strictly on improving the win/loss record. Both are in the interest of the team right now.

Ok, I should be working, so I'll let you guys chew on that.

I'm wondering why Ben Jones hasn't been rotated in for Wade Smith at all. Smith is obviously playing below his ability.

Ben has been rotated in to the game. He's the one that gave up the hit that caused Keenum INT. Ben has barely been a low speed bump when out there, really more of an ignored yield sign.

Link.

He makes a good point. I honestly can't say what is best for the team. It's now a contention between practical football decisions vs. fan (customer) perception. Keenum would benefit from the experience, but Kubiak is focusing strictly on improving the win/loss record. Both are in the interest of the team right now.

That's exactly what it is. Fan perception v. real football decisions. We think football is Madden.

Link.

I'm not a fan of tanking, but in what way improving from 2-14 to let's say 6-10 or even 7-9 is "in the interest of the team"?

I guess is in the interest of the players to not look bad, or in kubiaks interest to have a better record.

but what can possibly be good for the franchise?

they won't get to the playoffs, and won't get as high draft choices.

I don't want them to tank games, but I hope they end up as low as possible at the end of the season if they can't get to the playoffs

-edit-
but yeah, kubiak makes a good point since as a coach you should be looking to win the game. and he did what he thought it was our best chance to win

Link.

Well, I guess he does think keenum is better than Matt after all. He doesn't think Matt is good enough to start.

That is something that Kubiak will take some undeserved criticism for. He did try to address the RT position in the draft, but both picks promptly headed to IR before seeing a snap.

Brennan was hurt when we drafted him. We rushed him back to activity & probably ruined any chance he has of having any success in the NFL.

Brennan was hurt when we drafted him. We rushed him back to activity & probably ruined any chance he has of having any success in the NFL.

He had a torn labrum when drafted that he already has surgery on, and was unrelated to his knee injury in OTA's. But yes, he was rushed back and is likely damaged goods.

Didn't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here.

Been watching the All-22 and have a few observations:

1. Ben Tate almost never cuts back and it makes the running game predictable. He pretty much always follows the blockers. I guess it was a nice compliment to Foster, who cuts back most of the time.

2. On the play that Schaub and AJ apparently argued about, we had 5 receivers and only 2 of them actually went into the endzone. Tate, Hopkins, & Graham never even went into the endzone. The play seemed to call for them to only go so far, and they just ran it as if they weren't close to the endzone. Posey, or whoever the other receiver in the endzone was, just made it past the line and then made no attempt to get open beyond that. Hopkins went five yards and stopped well short of the endzone. Graham, who might should have been thrown to, was just short of the endzone, but was open or probably would have gotten open if given a little more time. He had a lead on his man going to Schaub's left across the middle from the right, and was basically in front of AJ. AJ was totally NOT open.

3. About the QBs, I didn't really see anything glaring, like I expected to. They could both work on acccuracy, but pressure has something to do with that. The play where Keenum throws a bomb and AJ nearly slams head-to-head with the DB in the endzone for an incompletion could have been a TD if thrown closer to the sideline away from that DB, but that's a long throw too, so it's hard to judge too harshly. They both made inaccurate passes that should've been easy completions. They both made some completions that were pretty impressive. Schaub doesn't make things happen; he's too determined to get rid of the ball in X amount of time. Keenum is the opposite of that, like we all know. They could both be a little more in the middle in that regard. Schaub knows by reading the D where the open receiver SHOULD be and throws it there. Keenum is looking more for that guy that gets open regardless of the D or its playcall.

4. We all know this, but the blocking sucks.

5. I see receivers that could hustle more. Too many of them too often. I don't watch NFL games to see world-class athletes JOG on the field.

Back