Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

He would have been an even better waiver wire pickup.

Let’s pretend that Cashman doesn’t have the injury history and has become this special teams demon. He only has one year on his contract. Isn’t it possible to find a guy in the 6th that’s a special teams ace. On a 4 year rookie deal?

But my real concern is what is Caserio going to do with real draft picks? He’s never had them in an unsupervised setting. Would he go, “That David Johnson was a pro bowl RB 3 years ago. He’s definitely better than a stinky 2nd round pick.”

Caserio keeps doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on a moronic strategy that has yet to work. What other crazy arse ideas does he have in store?

I guess Lovie gets the credit now that Texian has made it clear File Clerk is no longer making decisions for the Texans and has been relegated to a GM figurehead.

Last edited:
The actions are speaking differently. Are you only hearing and seeing what you want to see and hear? Denial?
This better describes yourself. You are interpreting remarks to your pov. A good example is you saying Lovie took away Caserio's headphones.

He did not.

Back in late February, he merely stated he had not ever had a GM involved on game day and he didn't plan on Caserio sharing his input during games.

This remark was in February and plans can change. He emphatically did not "lay down the law" to Caserio. This is merely how you choose to interpret Smith's remark.

A big part of any corporate, boardroom mentality is not being able to pin stuff on one person. For some reason we spend a lot time on this board trying figure out who messed up with this player or that move , when the Texans have always operated under corporate state where who really knows true responsibility except by guesswork and rumor.

Which is why this model will never be successful in the NFL.

Sell the team or move the team Janice. At this point I don't care what you do. As long as the McNair's own the team they will never win a championship. Why? Because it's not important to them.

Just curious, how do you interpret Lovie saying he would hire his coaching staff and then he does without any input from Caserio?
How do you know this. I seriously doubt that Lovie and Caserio are not communicating with each other.

How do you interpret Lovie going on a national radio show and taking away Nick Caserios headset?
Not true. See my previous comment.

How do you interpret Lovie commenting on several occasions that he and his coaching staff will responsible for bringing in players that fit their systems?
Nothing unusual here. I would say that every team's coaching staff has input on bringing in players and which players to draft. It is a coaching staff's responsibility, and not just the Texans', to aid in bringing in personnel that fits the team.

How do you interpret Lovie saying that Nick Caserio will be around to assist and help them when needed?
How is this any different from how any organization operates. Of course a GM is going to "assist" the HC.

How do you know this. I seriously doubt that Lovie and Caserio are not communicating with each other.

Not true. See my previous comment.

Nothing unusual here. I would say that every team's coaching staff has input on bringing in players and which players to draft. It is a coaching staff's responsibility, and not just the Texans', to aid in bringing in personnel that fits the team.

How is this any different from how any organization operates. Of course a GM is going to "assist" the HC.
Exactly. I believe they’re working together as a team.

Just curious, how do you interpret Lovie saying he would hire his coaching staff and then he does without any input from Caserio?

How do you interpret Lovie going on a national radio show and taking away Nick Caserios headset?

How do you interpret Lovie commenting on several occasions that he and his coaching staff will responsible for bringing in players that fit their systems?

How do you interpret Lovie saying that Nick Caserio will be around to assist and help them when needed?

Like I said earlier - you're taking 4 threads and weaving a quilt from it. I agree there's probably some fire with that smoke, but I can't go as far as you based on these 4 data points alone. Unless you're in the room, or privy to internal conversations, I consider it conjecture. I'm not arguing you are wrong, but you're out ahead of your skis at the least.

Sell the team or move the team Janice. At this point I don't care what you do. As long as the McNair's own the team they will never win a championship. Why? Because it's not important to them.

The money is too easy for that family. As long as the Texans can be good enough to bring hope to the rank and file fans that stadium will be full (or full enough). If they run bunch of 4 wins seasons there might some chance, but even then what is GameBoy/Calhoun going to do?

Like I said earlier - you're taking 4 threads and weaving a quilt from it. I agree there's probably some fire with that smoke, but I can't go as far as you based on these 4 data points alone. Unless you're in the room, or privy to internal conversations, I consider it conjecture. I'm not arguing you are wrong, but you're out ahead of your skis at the least.
turn in your headset was enough for me to know there is a new sheriff in town.

Don't worry Lovie's in charge.

It's a 6rh Rd pick in 2023 dude. It's not the end of the world.

BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing what Caserio can do with a full compliment of picks plus the Derrick picks based off of last yrs picks.

I do worry about Lovie calling the personnel shots, even though it's supposedly in Caserio's contract that he's making the final calls.
Maverick this is what I’m talking about brother.

I guess Lovie gets the credit now that Texian has made it clear File Clerk is no longer making decisions for the Texans and has been relegated to a GM figurehead.
Lovie has made much clearer than I have, for those that have been listening anyways. For those who've not been listening, I'm the boogeyman.

The money is too easy for that family. As long as the Texans can be good enough to bring hope to the rank and file fans that stadium will be full (or full enough). If they run bunch of 4 wins seasons there might some chance, but even then what is GameBoy/Calhoun going to do?
They've had 4 win seasons before & it was never like this. A lot of B.O. & Easterby plus that 4 win season. Hopefully we won't be seeing that again, even though Caserio tried with that McCown bull.

Maybe it's semantics but I expect ownership, the gm, and coaching staff to all agree on major decisions.

Does that constitute a corporate boardroom decision?

That's the problem, when they dont agree who makes the final call. The person you hired that you said would be running football opps? Doesn't appear to be the case.

Unfortunately this issue has been going on since Casserly left Kirby. He was the only person that it was obious that he made the final calls. After he failed, Bob McNair went to the business model he knew best instead of the business model that works best in the NFL. I was hoping that had changed with Janice/Calhoun running the team but it hasn't changed at all and bottom line is there will be no championships with this model of doing business.

Maybe in 3-4 yrs after Caserio/Lovie are fired, Calhoun will decide on a new business model. Unfortunately this change probably will only happen with Janice's passing and she looks like a very healthy 85 yr old woman.

That's the problem, when they dont agree who makes the final call. The person you hired that you said would be running football opps? Doesn't appear to be the case.

Unfortunately this issue has been going on since Casserly left Kirby. He was the only person that it was obious that he made the final calls. After he failed, Bob McNair went to the business model he knew best instead of the business model that works best in the NFL. I was hoping that had changed with Janice/Calhoun running the team but it hasn't changed at all and bottom line is there will be no championships with this model of doing business.

Maybe in 3-4 yrs after Caserio/Lovie are fired, Calhoun will decide on a new business model. Unfortunately this change probably will only happen with Janice's passing and she looks like a very healthy 85 yr old woman.

Source?

I staunchly despise Casserly. His history, his voice, his hair, his face. After what he did, I can't blame any franchise for giving a gm less freedom.

Maverick this is what I’m talking about brother.

What's your issue with what's going on?

They all will be fired in 3-4 yrs anyways. Caserio and a 67 yr old Lovie will be laughing all the way to the bank. There will be no championships with this model and although Lovie should getthe blame because he will be making the final personnel calls. The blame really should fall on Calhoun and I hope even if the start winning the fans stay far away. Maybe then the McNair's will either sell or move the team.

What's your issue with what's going on?

They all will be fired in 3-4 yrs anyways. Caserio and a 67 yr old Lovie will be laughing all the way to the bank. There will be no championships with this model and although Lovie should getthe blame because he will be making the final personnel calls. The blame really should fall on Calhoun and I hope even if the start winning the fans stay far away. Maybe then the McNair's will either sell or move the team.
He said that narrative was from Texian. Im just pointing out you stated that agenda of Lovie calling the shots. And that Cal doesn’t let Caserio do his job.

Why are you wishing for fans to stay away. Man if you don’t want them to be successful. Why are we following them. We all should be hoping they are trying to work things out. As well as putting the very best product on the field.

He said that narrative was from Texian. Im just pointing out you stated that agenda of Lovie calling the shots. And that Cal doesn’t let Caserio do his job.

Why are you wishing for fans to stay away. Man if you don’t want them to be successful. Why are we following them. We all should be hoping they are trying to work things out. As well as putting the very best product on the field.

They have to truly bottom out for ownership change and I believe there will be no championships until they are either sold by fans apathy or Janice dying and the other McNair siblings wanting their piece of the pie so the team will be sold. Which would you rather have happen?

BTW, I hope I'm wrong but this is an observation after seeing how the McNair's have done business for the last 20 yrs.

I'd interpret as Caserio now having a built-in scapegoat if they can't produce winning results in the next 2-3 years. And if they do produce winning results, then he gets to share the credit as the GM behind all of the moves.

Honestly, this is how a GM should operate, not with a boardroom or owner looking over his shoulder.

Personally, I think he and Lovie are working together to build the team because it's in both of their best interests to cooperate. He's got a head coach with extensive experience working for other franchises, and that kind of wisdom and insight are perspectives that he did not get with Culley.

Maybe it's semantics but I expect ownership, the gm, and coaching staff to all agree on major decisions.

Does that constitute a corporate boardroom decision?

From my own perspective, I think it depends on who controls the gavel in the boardroom.

It was clearly Bob McNair in the past.

I think Cal tried his father's way with O'Brien but it appears that he has learned lessons - primarily that he's not the corporate CEO that his father was - and how now pivoted to a more "traditional" NFL model of hiring a GM and letting him carry the load.

I think Cal is fading into the background as an owner, especially after the burden of failures regarding O'Brien & Watson. I really think he's looking at other NFL owners and how they do business, and being in the background is most likely the more comfortable position for him to be in. This is how I would do it if my dad gifted me with a multi-billion dollar NFL franchise (not that what I would do matters at all, of course).

Cal took too much crap for the Watson situation, and hopefully he's learned another valuable lesson to never get to close to players as an owner.

If they get this haul they will have 7 picks in the top 80. A great start to rebuilding the franchise. Caserio is obviously in charge of setting the parameters of this trade and in charge of the Calhoun's side of things in negotiations. If this happens I will say great job. Lets hope Lovie gets the picks right.

In reality this seems to be what we have always wanted. Lovie is saying what type of player he wants and Caserio is the one actually making the deals. I find it very telling that other than a short comment Lovie has stayed out of the Watson topic which is exactly as it should be. Watson is clearly not going to play for the Texans so he is not Lovie's concern and the ball is in Caserio's court. Lovie focused on current team and letting the FO know who they want for the future team and Caserio focused on trades and gets the most picks/best players possible. I maybe dreaming or taken an extra big drink of the kool aid but I do like what I am seeing.

In reality this seems to be what we have always wanted. Lovie is saying what type of player he wants and Caserio is the one actually making the deals.
This is not at all what I wanted.

I want the GM to have a vision of what he wants the football team to look like. What kind of players & what kind of coaches he needs to get the product he envisions on the field.

I don’t want any configuration with a tie breaker between the GM & the HC.

I want a GM that evaluates the coaches & players. I don’t think the GM needs to hire coordinators & position coaches, but he should be able to tell the HC that the RB coach needs a kick in the pants.

I'd interpret as Caserio now having a built-in scapegoat if they can't produce winning results in the next 2-3 years. And if they do produce winning results, then he gets to share the credit as the GM behind all of the moves.

Honestly, this is how a GM should operate, not with a boardroom or owner looking over his shoulder.

Personally, I think he and Lovie are working together to build the team because it's in both of their best interests to cooperate. He's got a head coach with extensive experience working for other franchises, and that kind of wisdom and insight are perspectives that he did not get with Culley.

From my own perspective, I think it depends on who controls the gavel in the boardroom.

I think Cal tried his father's way with O'Brien but it appears that he has learned lessons - primarily that he's not the corporate CEO that his father was - and how now pivoted to a more "traditional" NFL model of hiring a GM and letting him carry the load.

I think Cal is fading into the background as an owner, especially after the burden of failures regarding O'Brien & Watson. I really think he's looking at other NFL owners and how they do business, and being in the background is most likely the more comfortable position for him to be in. This is how I would do it if my dad gifted me with a multi-billion dollar NFL franchise (not that what I would do matters at all, of course).

Cal took too much crap for the Watson situation, and hopefully he's learned another valuable lesson to never get to close to players as an owner.
IMO I think Caserio is now happy to be in a position to do for Lovie what he did for Belichick. It's what he knows how to do and what he does best. Caserio is a follower, he's not a leader and he and Cal both understand this, now. Cal is a happy camper as long as you are not interrupting his video games. Other owners do not have a Jack Easterby as Vice President of Football Operations.

Last edited:
IMO I think Caserio is now happy to be in a position to do for Lovie what he did for Belichick. It's what he knows how to do and what he knows best. Caserio is a follower, he's not a leader and he and Cal both understand this, now. Cal is a happy camper as long as you are not interrupting his video games. Other owners do not have a Jack Easterby as Vice President of Football Operations.

While I disagree with your opinion I still find myself intrigued with your creative writing ability. I have taught myself to get a good chuckle from it. Thanks for not putting me on ignore.

Tommy Boy deserved the crap he got for not making Derrick play out his 5th yr option at the very least. At worst he had an idea of what was going on and made the decision to make money over doing the right thing.

Nick the Quick thinks he’s slick. Have y’all noticed he has brought in more defensive players than offensive players. I believe this trade with Atlanta will have two defensive players to go along with those draft picks. That way they can load up on offensive weapons in the draft.

When you say offensive weapons do you mean skill positions? Like WR, RB, & TE?
Would be icing on the cake if Atlanta give us Pitts too. That way we can grab a defensive monster with our first pick. That 8 trade back for another 1st round pick and a second. With that first round pick snatch up a receiver. With those two second round picks snatch up an offensive lineman and a running back.

Would be icing on the cake if Atlanta give us Pitts too. That way we can grab a defensive monster with our first pick. That 8 trade back for another 1st round pick and a second. With that first round pick snatch up a receiver. With those two second round picks snatch up an offensive lineman and a running back.
Pfft. We don't need Pitts. We've got a thousand TEs and will probably draft 2 more.

From the very get go Caserio said all player personnel decisions would be made a group. (If you don't believe watch Caserio introductory press conference.) That's because Cal insisted on it and because this is the way Daddy did it. Nothing is going to change, especially after the O'Brien GM/HC fiasco. The DW4 trade operation headquarters is the Kirby Boardroom.

Last edited:
From the very get go Caserio said all player personnel would be made a group. (If you don't believe watch Caserio introductory press conference.) That's because Cal insisted on it and because this is the way Daddy did it. Nothing is going to change, especially after the O'Brien GM/HC fiasco. The DW4 trade operation headquarters is the Kirby Boardroom.

The trade has been all Caserio. No Lovie, no Cal, no Easterby.

No, I'm pretty sure they are all huddled down in the Kirby Boardroom. Lovie and staff approving any players part of the trade. The Texans drew a line in the sand, 3 1st and couple of other picks or players. If the demand is met there is not much else for the Texans to do. The Texan's work is done. Atlanta is scrambling trying to figure how they want to pay the ransom. Ryan potential trade partners, Cleveland, Seattle, Indianapolis. Any one else? What is Ryan's trade value? A 1 and a 2 or 3? My guess is Ryan goes to Cleveland or Seattle for a 1 and a 2 or 3 and Mayfield goes to Indy.

Tommy Boy deserved the crap he got for not making Derrick play out his 5th yr option at the very least. At worst he had an idea of what was going on and made the decision to make money over doing the right thing.

I don't know, man. I'm just not sure Cal is as much in the mix as his dad was. I think he was following the advice if his football people - at the time O'Brien and Easterby - and like a follower, he let them work their deal. O'Brien was all-in with Watson by that point, not knowing that he was just weeks away from losing his gig.

From everything that I've gathered about Cal over the years, he seems like a very nice guy but not necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed (I'm not saying he's stupid, but not everyone can build billion dollar companies). I don't think he's banging the gavel in the boardroom like his father did. He does not have the business acumen of his father, and with the amount of salaries being paid to former Texans employees, I don't think Cal is as much bottom line as his dad was.

He's looking at other owners and how they do it, and for many of them, they stay out of the spotlight and let their football guys run the show. All indications at this point is that he's fully vested in Caserio and Lovie and he's taking a backseat to their decisions.

$118 mil can go a looooong way, as long as we don't have to insanely overpay like the Jags did this year. The perception of the organization will be working against us.

Not gonna count chickens just yet, as this off-season isn't even over yet, but if 2023 cap space remains high, Caserio will have cleared BOBs cap mess in two seasons. Who knows how long it'll take to restore the Texans reputation.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

$118 mil can go a looooong way, as long as we don't have to insanely overpay like the Jags did this year. The perception of the organization will be working against us.

Not gonna count chickens just yet, as this off-season isn't even over yet, but if 2023 cap space remains high, Caserio will have cleared BOBs cap mess in two seasons. Who knows how long it'll take to restore the Texans reputation.

I’d like to see the team take the course of building through the draft for 2022 and 2023 while saving the cap any hits until the beginning of the 2024 season. Team may need that cap money to re-sign 2021 picks and 2022 picks who may be exceeding expectations before they go shopping for other UFA’s. The Texans will also have the 2024 draft to add valuable pieces.

$118 mil can go a looooong way, as long as we don't have to insanely overpay like the Jags did this year. The perception of the organization will be
$118M

we don’t know what that mean right now since there are only 23 players under contract for 2023.

We get to the final cuts this year with $118M for 2023, then I’ll get excited.

I tried to tell some posters the cap wont be an issue in a couple of yrs. Did they listen?

I tried to tell some posters the cap wont be an issue in a couple of yrs. Did they listen?
When you only have 21 players under contract in 2023 because you've been rearranging chairs on the Titanic, that $118MM is not going to go as far as you think it will. The good news is they can stop signing everyone to one year contracts. They should be able to sign a few 3-4 year contracts. Then again we're talking about Mr. I must restructure it.

Back