Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Deshaun should be more concerned about the HC they hire and not so much the GM.
I get where he's coming from, but it's a bit premature for him to chime in to me
Yes, that's what worries me, it is premature, but why would he Tweet that so soon? We'll see, building an offense around a pocket passer is different than building an offense for a mobile quarterback. Let's hope he can pull it off.

Or you could've just hired a proven talent evaluator who was a big reason for the Chiefs success.

Calm down bro,

“proven” talent evaluator is a stretch. I went thru Dorsey’s draft history of both the chiefs and Browns...he had about the same draft success as your boy Rick Smith did here..

Calm down bro,

“proven” talent evaluator is a stretch. I went thru Dorsey’s draft history of both the chiefs and Browns...he had about the same draft success as your boy Rick Smith did here..

I know under his watch they drafted Hill/Fisher/Hunt and I think Kelce.

This all assumes your guy, who has only been successful with the greatest head coach and greatest quarterback in the history of the game is the proper choice...

Oddly, without Brady, they missed the playoffs this year...

Im sure thats CATEGORICALLY just coincidence. Your biases are effecting you every bit as much.

There is no “proper” choice only qualified and unqualified candidates. And Caserio was most definitely a qualified candidate amongst a plethora of other qualified candidates that I would’ve been fine with.

unlike you however I’m not categorically dismissing qualified candidates b/c of a bias.

And the talent actually wasn’t that bad on the team. But they did have a number of key offensive and defensive starters who opted out due to COVID and some out due to injury. oddly too without Brady, that same greatest HC of all time looked mortal.

All that being said, they STILL won more games than we did on the season so take that for what it’s worth.

well let’s see..... what should be the goal? To hire a solid candidate that can actually do the job REGARDLESS of where he comes from? Orrrrrr find that same guy and categorically dismiss anyone from a franchise you already tried to imitate b/c, well we already went there & it didn’t work out.
I think the fallacy is that we already tried.

Other than a few faces I don’t think anyone here looked at our favorite team & thought, “They look just like the Patriots.”

We hired Bill O’Brien & he made this team in his image. He brought in his guys from GT & Penn State. Godsey was with the Patriots, but he followed O’Brien from GT.

We brought Romeo in.Anyone denying he was a good DC? Not for us, I mean he had a reputation of being a good coordinator & it made sense to hire him.

Nick Caserio isn’t coming here to duplicate what was done in New England, even if he brings McDaniels. He & our new coach is going to build a team around Watson.

We’re about to become the Houston Watsons

Deshaun should be more concerned about the HC they hire and not so much the GM.
I get where he's coming from, but it's a bit premature for him to chime in to me

They said he was on the search committee. Did they lie to the young man? And it looks like they’re going on the same wrong direction as before. 7 years, when will they learn?

They said he was on the search committee. Did they lie to the young man? And it looks like they’re going on the same wrong direction as before. 7 years, when will they learn?

When the McNair's sell the team?

I actually think McDaniels is a good offensive mind and QB coach.

Other than a few faces I don’t think anyone here looked at our favorite team & thought, “They look just like the Patriots.”

We hired Bill O’Brien & he made this team in his image. He brought in his guys from GT & Penn State. Godsey was with the Patriots, but he followed O’Brien from GT.

We brought Romeo in.Anyone denying he was a good DC? Not for us, I mean he had a reputation of being a good coordinator & it made sense to hire him.

Nick Caserio isn’t coming here to duplicate what was done in New England, even if he brings McDaniels. He & our new coach is going to build a team around Watson.

The thing about the Patriot way is it’s always been mostly tied to how the HC’s try to emulate Bill’s way of handling the press and players in general....not a guy coming in as a GM.

Lol let’s not start that. The Houston Watson. Leave that Steel

This all assumes your guy, who has only been successful with the greatest head coach and greatest quarterback in the history of the game is the proper choice...
For me it’s about Cal getting the guy he wanted. Or maybe the guy Easterby wanted.

Doesn’t really matter. As long as he does the “get out of the way” part. Cal getting the guy he wanted, or Easterby told him he wanted for two years makes it more likely that he’ll step aside.

I’m not saying he will. Just hoping he will.

There is no “proper” choice only qualified and unqualified candidates. And Caserio was most definitely a qualified candidate amongst a plethora of other qualified candidates that I would’ve been fine with.

unlike you however I’m not categorically dismissing qualified candidates b/c of a bias.

And the talent actually wasn’t that bad on the team. But they did have a number of key offensive and defensive starters who opted out due to COVID and some out due to injury. oddly too without Brady, that same greatest HC of all time looked mortal.

All that being said, they STILL won more games than we did on the season so take that for what it’s worth.

They don't have a boat load of talent so claiming otherwise is false.

Seeing the number of ne coaches churned out elsewhere has happened quite often and they've all failed. That's accurate and articulating a concern over that is worthwhile whether you like it or not. Its not biased. Its history. I have a bigger issue with you being critical of the fan reaction then the hire itself.

If you look at my post you'll see I said I'd give him some time. Read again.

The ne record and boasting about how its better then ours doesn't mean much to me. They played the jets twice.

They don't have a boat load of talent so claiming otherwise is false.

Seeing the number of ne coaches churned out elsewhere has happened quite often and they've all failed. That's accurate and articulating a concern over that is worthwhile whether you like it or not. Its not biased. Its history. I have a bigger issue with you being critical of the fan reaction then the hire itself.

If you look at my post you'll see I said I'd give him some time. Read again.

The ne record and boasting about how its better then ours doesn't mean much to me. They played the jets twice.

Lol I never claimed they had a boatload of talent, I said it wasn’t that bad....... But missing your 2 time pro bowl defensive leader, starting safety and RT before the season ever starts b/c they opted out...kind of a big deal no matter how much you wanna down play it.

furthermore the track record of NE coaches means d&$@ as it pertains to anything in the future

could care less about what you think about me being critical of the fan reaction. The hire, while not appealing to some was a solid hire and the only “real” reason why most are panning it is b/c he’s coming from NE...that’s it really.

any other guy with similar qualifications coming from another org, folks would be jumping for joy.

For me it’s about Cal getting the guy he wanted. Or maybe the guy Easterby wanted.

Doesn’t really matter. As long as he does the “get out of the way” part. Cal getting the guy he wanted, or Easterby told him he wanted for two years makes it more likely that he’ll step aside.

I’m not saying he will. Just hoping he will.
If that’s who Cal wanted all along, then why all the bullshit with Korn Ferry and a search committee?

Maybe this all works out with Caserio, who knows, but it all seems like they’re trying really hard to make it look like they’re doing something when they ain’t doing ****. Especially if McDaniels is next on board.

******* smoke and mirrors as always with this **** show organization.

Agreed, but the plethora of pats players that matriculated thru here under BoB as coaches counts too. Wes Welker, Mike Vrabel, Larry Izzo, Brad Sealy...

Then there’s bringing on guys like Easterby and us running the EP...all that contribute too to this idea that we we trying to imitate the Pats under Bob for some fans and I’m not so sure if that was the case. The coaching staff changes every year... BoB just did a shitty job of bringing in coaches that could articulate whatever the hell he was trying to do.

Lol I never claimed they had a boatload of talent, I said it wasn’t that bad.......

Well that's a helleva endorsement for a guy we just hired to find talent.

furthermore the track record of NE coaches means d&$@ as it pertains to anything in the future

Said nearly a dozen teams hiring ex-pats before us. I'm sure it'll work out this time though...

I could care less about what you think

Then use the ignore option or don't respond. But if your going to clown on other posters because they don't happen to LOVE the hire you should expect negative feedback.

Oddly, without Brady, they missed the playoffs this year...

Im sure thats CATEGORICALLY just coincidence. Your biases are effecting you every bit as much.

I do agree that Brady was a huge, huge part but to be fair to NE they had more guys opt out before the year even started than most teams did, their facilities got shut down multiple times and Cam hasn’t been the same QB since his SB run in 15. Plus even with Brady last year Pats have crap for a team.

As far as Caserio goes I’m neutral because most GM hires are complete crap shoots. Hiring a guy that has never been a GM doesn’t bother me because rarely do former GMs get hired a second time anyway so often it is a first time GM.

What I do know that gives me hope is that NE, a franchise well known for letting guys leave if they want, fought tooth and nail to keep him as long as they could. Take that for what you will but it gives me a reason to give him the benefit of the doubt at least.

Well that's a helleva endorsement for a guy we just hired to find talent.

Said nearly a dozen teams hiring ex-pats before us. I'm sure it'll work out this time though...

Then use the ignore option or don't respond. But if your going to clown on other posters because they don't happen to LOVE the hire you should expect negative feedback.

Never said you had to love it playboy..but you’re the only one getting your britches in a bunch b/c you have no other reason to dislike hire other than “he’s from NE”..

Never said you had to love it playboy..but you’re the only one getting your britches in a bunch b/c you have no other reason to dislike hire other than “he’s from NE”..

Again, no luxury of Brady or Belichick here like i told you earlier. What has he done to make him more qualified then others?

He's not. He just knows easterby. Is that biased your able to acknowledge?

Fact is most are so burned by this org that there was no one they could have hired that we really would have been happy with so as TK said might as well hire the guy Cal wanted all along so at least maybe he’ll get out of his way.

Credit to @CloakNNNdagger he said all along Caserio would be the guy it was just a matter of time. Now let’s see what kind of HC they can come up with.

Again, no luxury of Brady or Belichick here like i told you earlier. What has he done to make him more qualified then others?

He's not. He just knows easterby. Is that biased your able to acknowledge?

Caserio has been a fairly sought after hire for awhile and is well thought of in most circles. Miami was all set to hire him but his one condition was to be allowed to fire the HC so the deal fell apart. Ironic part is they fired the HC just a year or so later. Various teams through the years have tried to pull him from NE but his wife had tenure at one of the colleges so he didn’t want to leave. Think she is retired now so maybe they are just looking for warmer weather.

None of this means he will be a good GM of course but it does show he has more going for him than he knows Easterby.

Anyone, maybe Astros fans, bothered that Caserio was "acting GM" throughout all the Patriots' cheating scandals, including last year's illegal videotaping vs the Bengals? And Easterby was around for some of it. Doesn't bode well to me.

Rick Smith was supposedly very religious and selected Watson. Watson proclaimed Easterby a positive force, a "man of God," and Watson and Hopkins liked to yell "glory, hallelujah" in meetings. These are team leaders setting an example of exclusivity. So if Caserio leads similarly, then it seems more like McNair's 1st priority is a specific, judging culture, winning 2nd. How DID Arian Foster, an atheist, fit in? Maybe cos I'm wrong, or maybe cos the evangelism hadn't yet crept in as much.

Last edited:
If that’s who Cal wanted all along, then why all the bullshit with Korn Ferry and a search committee?

Two possible reasons that I can think of.

One, because they were in contact with Caserio all along and they wanted to cover up their tampering.

Two, it was a legitimate search to cover the possibility that NE ended up convincing Caserio to stay with the Pats somehow.

*edit*

Three, McClain is wrong and the Texans don't actually have a deal with Caserio.

Last edited:
Let's see how many ex pats he brings before drawing lines in the sand. At least till after fa and the draft.
Gonna judge him on 1 offseason when he has both hands tied behind his back and gout in one of his feet? He's got through 2022 before I start considering pink soap. Unless he trades Watson to the jets for Sam Darnold, Frank Gore and a 7th rounder.

Was there ever anything official saying Watson was on the search committee?

I'm not question you, I honestly don't know.

Also from what I gather he was on the HC committee. I don't recall if he was on the GM committee.

Gonna judge him on 1 offseason when he has both hands tied behind his back and gout in one of his feet? He's got through 2022 before I start considering pink soap. Unless he trades Watson to the jets for Sam Darnold, Frank Gore and a 7th rounder.

Thats about the Patriots tag along for new coaches etc. Not his performance.

One, because they were in contact with Caserio all along and they wanted to cover up their tampering.

Two, it was a legitimate search to cover the possibility that NE ended up convincing Caserio to stay with the Pats somehow.

*edit*

You forgot to mention the most obvious reason of all: the Rooney Rule.

Again its very common in business to interview multiple guys even if you have a favorite canidate. My last job after my interview they told me give us two weeks to finish the promised interviews buts its yours if you want it. Two weeks later we set my start date.

Particularly a high money, high profile job like GM you dont just call someone up on Friday and ask if they can come in on Monday. Things have to be set up far in advance and then you don't want to burn bridges by cancelling at the last minute.

People on here seem to forget that the Texans are a business and they are ran likea corparation. If you know how corparations work at all then none of how they do business is surprising.

*edit*

Or.....Maybe before actually settling on a guy they’d already done their due diligence on (which explains why he wasn’t on the interview list) they interviewed some other candidates to see if there were some other candidates out there they would like.

You know how it is when you’re looking for a new car. You have 1 in mind already that you really like, but there are also a few “maybes” that you could be convinced of...& then there’s always that 1 car that you had no idea you would like until you test drive it and get a good deal on.

Back