Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

No he said that no team had ever done it with paying a QB that much, in response to at the time me saying no team has ever done it paying 15%. Since then Brady has done it, barely, but at no time has ANYONE said it would never be done.
No, I had pulled up his specific post and talked about it before.
I know what was in there.

So you're moving the goal post from the first time you introduced the subject?

No , I'm just done arguing about it.

The exact percentage is irrelevant.

The absolute fact is that there is a point where too much is too much .... unless you think paying the QB 100% of the cap is gonna fly and everyone else plays for free..

You guys just don't like "how I arrived at the figure" and want to split hairs.

What you refuse to comprehend is I didn't arrive at the figure , I pointed out the highest figure in history - The Benchmark which stood for almost 3 decades.

And you've ignored everything else trying to prove that he may have been off on the exact number a bit
It's not a small number.
One team spent less than 70% of its cap space on players (not counting the starting QB).
That team has a huge amount of cap space left.

I also touched on instances where a team may have a carry-over from the previous year.
The league cap space for the year might be 180M, but a few certain teams can have quite a bit more available.

No he said that no team had ever done it with paying a QB that much, in response to at the time me saying no team has ever done it paying 15%. Since then Brady has done it, barely, but at no time has ANYONE said it would never be done.

There’s too many grey areas. Neither one of them are wrong. There’s so many variations and variables that needs to be factored into all of that.

It's not a small number.
One team spent less than 70% of its cap space on players (not counting the starting QB).
That team has a huge amount of cap space left.

I also touched on instances where a team may have a carry-over from the previous year.
The league cap space for the year might be 180M, but a few certain teams can have quite a bit more available.

Read the CBA.

No , I'm just done arguing about it.

The exact percentage is irrelevant.

The absolute fact is that there is a point where too much is too much .... unless you think paying the QB 100% of the cap is gonna fly and everyone else plays for free..

You guys just don't like "how I arrived at the figure" and want to split hairs.

What you refuse to comprehend is I didn't arrive at the figure , I pointed out the highest figure in history - The Benchmark which stood for almost 3 decades.
Everybody knows that there's a certain point.
The thing is you brought up a number and said that's what it is, and we disagree with that number.

The thing is you brought up a number and said that's what it is, and we disagree with that number.

I never stated an opinion , I Stated the FACT that 13.1% was the highest figure in history.

I've also stated in this thread , put the number wherever you want .... so long as its below 20%

Ask for odds. That's a 3rd of the starting qbs in the league.
See. That's one of the points right there.

Normally, there have been very few QBs in a given year that occupied more than 13.2% of the cap space of the team; the odds doesn't favor them winning a SB.

See. That's one of the points right there.

Normally, there have been very few QBs in a given year that occupied more than 13.2% of the cap space of the team; the odds doesn't favor them winning a SB.

Can you summarize the argument here?

Ask for odds. That's a 3rd of the starting qbs in the league.
Matt RyanFalcons 6,600
0.014925​
Aaron RodgersPackers 1,200
0.076923​
Russell WilsonSeahawks 2,500
0.038462​
Kirk CousinsVikings 5,500
0.017857​
Ryan TannehillTitans 3,500
0.027778​
Tom BradyBuccaneers 600
0.142857​
Jared GoffLions 15,000
0.006623​
Jimmy Garoppolo49ers 1,500
0.0625​
Ben RoethlisbergerSteelers 3,000
0.032258​
Carson WentzColts 2,800
0.034483​
Patrick MahomesChiefs 500
0.166667​
0.621332​

Above table is odds of the QBs > 13.2% this year. Last column is US bookie odds converted to probability. Final row is total for the 11 QBs.

Odds from: https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/super-bowl/futures

According to bookmakers the probability of a QB > 13.2% winning the SB this coming season is 62% (or -163) which means for a fair bet you should have to invest $163 to make a profit of $100

I never stated an opinion , I Stated the FACT that 13.1% was the highest figure in history.

I've also stated in this thread , put the number wherever you want .... so long as its below 20%
We went through this before. We both know about that FACT.
And I had already said before that I do not argue that fact; just your opinion that such number prevented teams from fielding a true contender that can win a SB.

That's not a summary. Judging by the responses your getting there appears to be a lot of miscommunication here.
Post 1269 explains it a bit.

He pointed to the fact that past SB winning QBs occupied less than 13.2%, (which used to be a fact until Brady this past year) , in regards to Watson's contract, and claimed that a team cannot build a SB winner by paying a QB that much.

It's the part about building a SB winning club that some of us disagree with.
One of the SB winner that I found didn't pay the QB more than 13.2%, but they didn't use much cap space to fill out the roster either.
In another word, that team could have paid the QB some 18 or 20% if they had chosen to do so.
They did not need 86.7% of the cap space for the other positions (a SB winning roster).

That's not a summary. Judging by the responses your getting there appears to be a lot of miscommunication here.
The 11 QBs in that list all occupied more than 13.2% of their respective cap space in the upcoming season.
Normally, there might be just 2-5 QBs with that much cap space.
The odds are completely different this year based on sheer number alone , if those figures hold up ; ie., no more contract restructuring.

No , I did not say "That's what it is". I simply stated the historical facts without any opinion other than , there is a point of too much being too much..

But just for giggles ..... I'd say the figure is much lower than 13.2%

One guy in 28 years has bested that figure and he's the GOAT.

The other figure is 11% - Three QB's have done that two of them twice for a grand total of 5. (That's 17.8% of all superbowls in the salary cap era).
So here's where you draw the proverbial line in the sand .... Unless you have Steve Young , Tom Brady or Peyton Manning of your era , you don't pay them greater than 11% and expect to win it all.

Forget about all this unspent $$$ , its irrelevant. Its a feeble attempt to move the goalpost.
And CBA Rules dictate teams spend 90% (in a 4 year period , which is why we have cap rollover) .... so you using a 5 win Jags team as your shining example of a team not spending is just fail. 5 win teams are irrelevant to this conversation ....

Several weeks ago I mentioned the Seahawks were considering moving on from Russell Wilson because his contract is such a large percentage of the cap and reboot around a rookie scale QB ..... If a team would consider moving on from a player like Wilson what does that tell you ?

No , I did not say "That's what it is". I simply stated the historical facts without any opinion other than , there is a point of too much being too much..

The other figure is 11% - Three QB's have done that two of them twice for a grand total of 5. (That's 17.8% of all superbowls in the salary cap era).
So here's where you draw the proverbial line in the sand .... Unless you have Steve Young , Tom Brady or Peyton Manning of your era , you don't pay them greater than 11% and expect to win it all.

Forget about all this unspent $$$ , its irrelevant. Its a feeble attempt to move the goalpost.
And CBA Rules dictate teams spend 90% (in a 4 year period , which is why we have cap rollover) .... so you using a 5 win Jags team as your shining example of a team not spending is just fail. 5 win teams are irrelevant to this conversation ....

Several weeks ago I mentioned the Seahawks were considering moving on from Russell Wilson because his contract is such a large percentage of the cap and reboot around a rookie scale QB ..... If a team would consider moving on from a player like Wilson what does that tell you ?

Since we're doing just for giggles...

A red headed QB will never win the SB.

A team with an X in its name will never win the SB.

A team with a QB born in Canada will never win the SB.

You can make these statements with some confidence that you're likely to be right for a while, because you know how few red-headed QBs there are, or how few teams with an X in their name there are or how few Canadian QBs there are. Yet we all know these attributes don't cause SB failure.

Historically only a few teams have paid QBs more than 13% of the cap, so of course it's unlikely that one will win the SB. This shouldn't be surprising. Evidence of 27 observations simply doesn't demonstrate causation when so few teams exhibit the attribute you're attempting to classify. These are well understood statistical principles falling in the fields of class-imbalance and classification-skew.

This coming season bucks the trend. Eleven QBs will earn more than 13%, and as pointed out earlier, the bookies think one of them winning the SB is an odds-on bet. I wouldn't take 76's bet.

I leave for a day and a half and check in on what NC has been up to, I guess I will try a different thread as this one has taken a turn and the horse is dead on both sides. Can you all take this somewhere so we dont have to go through pages of math when we want to see if NC is a grown up

This coming season bucks the trend. Eleven QBs will earn more than 13%, and as pointed out earlier, the bookies think one of them winning the SB is an odds-on bet. I wouldn't take 76's bet.

I've said the exact same thing .... in this conversation and before this conversation began.

With so many of the top QB's earning 13%+ , most of those being the elite QB's & better teams , the odds are that one of them does.

But I believe we can safely eliminate a few of those from the conversation.

We'll assume the unadjusted cap is 182.5 - this does not take into account rollover or dead money.

Here's the top 12

Matt Ryan - 40.9m - 22.4%
Aaron Rodgers - 37.2m - 20.38%
Russell Wilson - 32m - 17.5%
Kirk Cousins - 31m - 16.98%.
Ryan Tannehill - 29.5m - 16.16%
Tom Brady - 28.375m - 15.54%
Jared Goff - 28.15m - 15.42%
Jimmy G - 26.4m - 14.46%
Big Ben - 25.91m - 14.19%
Wentz - 25.4m - 13.9%
Pat Mahomes - 24.8m - 13.59%
Teddy Bridgewater - 22.95m - 12.57%

Even with those names in the top 10 , I'd take "the field" over the top 10. Wentz being the cut off point. Just to many good young QB's with better teams around them.

Now go compare that list to Vegas current odds .... Of the top 5 , only Rodgers makes their top 5 and I wouldn't make that bet with your money.

Here's the betting odds top 10:

Kansas City Chiefs+600
Green Bay Packers+900
Tampa Bay Buccaneers+1000
Baltimore Ravens+1200
Buffalo Bills+1200
Los Angeles Rams+1200
San Francisco 49'ers+1600
New Orleans Saints+1800
Seattle Seahawks+2200
Cleveland Browns+2500

The NFL is a "Team Driven" league for those that desire to enjoy the ultimate success. The league has proven in several SB's that a "Game Manager QB" can enjoy the ultimate success far sooner than the "Franchise QB" who just doesn't have the rest of team around him. Some of the best "winning" "Franchise QB's"....Brady, Rothlisberger, Mahomes, and Rodgers were wit teams that were prepared for their arrival.

NFL Super Bowl winners have usually won with an amazing defensve game, running game, and an offense that didn't make mistakes.

I had agreed with what you said, up to a point.
And that is up until now, the top QB cap space has yet to prevent teams from fielding a highly competitive team.

I also know about the 4 years, but we were (or I was) talking about one certain specific year.
I only use the Jags as an example because I don't know of an easy way to relocate that particular team I was talking about.
The team name (and a link) is in one of my previous posts, but I don't know of a way to find it either.

Forget the Seahawks; I have always agreed that a QB's salary can get too high.

On the other hand, the QB pay scale keeps increasing as seen in that list of the 11 top paid QBs currently, the situation may have turned.
Brady is an example of that, and it looks like there's a new trend going on.

I've said the exact same thing .... in this conversation and before this conversation began.

With so many of the top QB's earning 13%+ , most of those being the elite QB's & better teams , the odds are that one of them does.

We'll assume the unadjusted cap is 182.5 - this does not take into account rollover or dead money.

Here's the top 12

Jimmy G - 26.4m - 14.46%
Wentz - 25.4m - 13.9%

Even with those names in the top 10 , I'd take "the field" over the top 10. Wentz being the cut off point. Just to many good young QB's with better teams around them.

Now go compare that list to Vegas current odds .... Of the top 5 , only Rodgers makes their top 5 and I wouldn't make that bet with your money.

Kansas City Chiefs+600
Green Bay Packers+900
Baltimore Ravens+1200
Buffalo Bills+1200
Los Angeles Rams+1200
New Orleans Saints+1800
Seattle Seahawks+2200
Cleveland Browns+2500

Can you move this to a different thread?
I don't want to bother posters like RS in one of the post above.

Here's the top 12

Jimmy G - 26.4m - 14.46%
Wentz - 25.4m - 13.9%

Kansas City Chiefs+600
Green Bay Packers+900
Baltimore Ravens+1200
Buffalo Bills+1200
Los Angeles Rams+1200
New Orleans Saints+1800
Seattle Seahawks+2200
Cleveland Browns+2500
I did this exact analysis in post 1266. The 11 QBs projected to make more than 13% have a combined probability of 62% to win the SB. According to the odds I used, referenced in that post, the top 11 are favorites over the field.

Because I'm a nerd, I'll run the math with the odds you provided in a little bit.

Edit: I don't have enough info, I need the odds for each team for the top earning 11 QBs. Can you provide the source please? If you're happy to go with the odds I found and posted yesterday, then to reiterate, the top 11 are favorites over the field.

Last edited:

Up to this point, I did not believe that you knew this based on your own words. Glad you could finally admit that you were incorrect.

That number is merely a historical statistic up to this point. Nobody made it up. The historical data produced the number. It is subject to change, but will ultimately not undermine the narrative at all. You just admitted it yourself.

Can you summarize the argument here?

Data - based on historical fact - reveals that you can't pay one position so much that the rest of the team suffers and still win a Super Bowl.

Some would rather argue their opinion against that data instead of just accepting the results as nothing more than what it is: data.

-------------------------------

As far as a Caserio the GM update, he's doing nothing but playing the waiting game with Watson (as he should in the franchise's best interests). I'm sure there will be a new thread for every time he even burps.

Up to this point, I did not believe that you knew this based on your own words. Glad you could finally admit that you were incorrect.

That number is merely a historical statistic up to this point. Nobody made it up. The historical data produced the number. It is subject to change, but will ultimately not undermine the narrative at all. You just admitted it yourself.

Data - based on historical fact - reveals that you can't pay one position so much that the rest of the team suffers and still win a Super Bowl.

Some would rather argue their opinion against that data instead of just accepting the results as nothing more than what it is: data.

As far as a Caserio the GM update, he's doing nothing but playing the waiting game with Watson (as he should in the franchise's best interests). I'm sure there will be a new thread for every time he even burps.

Mostly talking about how the burp was not good enough for a 30 million GM or how if he had eaten X instead of Y then he wouldn't have had to burp or how the burp is a sign of Easterby's control over the Texans and that Caserio is just a puppet that makes burping noises.

I'm saying the same thing you do in your responses to me.

That has never been the point of the argument.

Mostly talking about how the burp was not good enough for a 30 million GM or how if he had eaten X instead of Y then he wouldn't have had to burp or how the burp is a sign of Easterby's control over the Texans and that Caserio is just a puppet that makes burping noises.
Is it wrong to hold the GM accountable?

If we don't keep track of his moves, how do we "grade" him?
Throwing out opinions only?

Aren't opinions 90 percent of all posts lately? Not sure but that's my opinion. What's your opinion on it?
I'm not talking about anybody else, but I try to bring as many facts as possible.
And it's funny 'cause it seems a number of posters don't like it.

Let me take this to the extreme to try to make a point.
Sure, everybody knows that if a starting QB occupy 20% of the cap space in any given year, it's impossible to field a true SB contender.

Corrosion used the 13.2% as the cut off point (before Brady won the SB).

So, a team has 86.8% of the cap space left to build a team.
Corrosion implied that anything less than that, and you can't build a SB contending team.

But that wasn't the case.

1. There were at least one team that had spent much less than that (for the rest of the roster) to win a SB.
I had pulled up those numbers with links to prove it in one of my posts somewhere on the forum.

2. When Brady won it this last year, not only his cap space exceeded that percentage, but the Buccs still has $4.5M to roll over to 2021.

3. There are other points I had made, but people just didn't take the time to read them.

The figure might be ..... the concept is not. Arguing otherwise is ignorant.

And again , I point you to the contract that started this debate and its greater than 20% payout to one player. We aren't arguing the merits of 13.2 , we're arguing the concept.

Throw Tunsil's 27m in with Watson's 42 and you've got 69m tied up in two players and at a 200m cap , that's 34.5% of the total spent on two players.

Are you going to argue that this is wise spending ?
You may find this interesting: (35) YouTube

The third point I've been trying to make can be better understood by looking at the current 11 top paid QB for 2021 here:

The cutoff is Mahomes.
All these QBs will occupy more than 13.2% of the 2021 salary cap figure set at 182.5M at the moment.

The other 21 is called "the field".

Read post 1266 by FireBob and post 1280 by Corrosion to have a better idea of things.

My contention was that up until this year, the number of QBs with cap space over 13.2% each year is so small such that the odds are against them.
That changes dramatically at the moment.
So FireBob ran a mathematical model that predicts the odds of winning the SB of these top 11 QBs vs. the field is higher than 60%.

That odd used to overwhelmingly tilted toward the field; and I had proposed that as one of the reasons things happened the way it did.

Back