Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Jadeveon Clowney 6'5 1/4 266. 34 1/2 inch arms. -- ~Jason Pierre Paul

Why Troy Niklas Could Be the Next Rob Gronkowski

Average first round OL pick measureables recent years:

Niklas isn't as similar to Gronk as this article makes out but he is the closest thing in this draft. Everyone wants the next Gronk but you have to understand that Gronk is to TE what Luck was to QB, he is a rare specimen for the position. I had him graded as a top 15 talent but he fell, understandably so, because he was coming off a serious back injury.

I've been behind on Niklas because he declared so late and nobody was expecting it. The more I see of him the more I like him. If he moves well at the combine he is a 1st round pick, IMO.

I love this TE class. Jenkins, Nicklas, C.J. Fiedorowicz and Lyerla all look good. I can see one of them on the roster next year and a later round guy no one expects. There are a lot of later round guys with talent. Don't see why people are saying this is a thin TE class

I don't think we draft two TEs, but I really hope we grab one of them. There is a lot of TE talent this year, that's for sure. I would wager that the next really productive TE (like Gronk is without the injuries, or Gates, or the Saints' TE) comes out of this class.

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Dee Ford 6-2 1/8, 252, 32 7/8 arms, 77 wing

Jadeveon Clowney: 6-5 1/4, 266. Had 34 1/2 arms 10-inch hands, 83 wing - largest in first group of DL. #NFLCombine

I don't think we draft two TEs, but I really hope we grab one of them. There is a lot of TE talent this year, that's for sure. I would wager that the next really productive TE (like Gronk is without the injuries, or Gates, or the Saints' TE) comes out of this class.

I agree. This TE class is loaded at the top.

Ebron and Amaro are your Jimmy Graham types. Split them outside and let them work off the line of scrimmage.

Niklas, Seferian-Jenkins, Fiedorowicz, and Arthur Lynch are your Gronk types that can work on the end of the line and in the seam.

OB has always looked for BLOCKING TEs.

That's what I prefer. Gives you more opportunities to be multiple on offense.

Guys like Ebron and Amaro are awesome athletes but for the style of offense I expect us to run I think you're more likely to see us target a guy like Niklas/Seferian-Jenkins if they are there in the 2nd or Fiedorowicz/Lynch in the 3rd.

OB has always looked for BLOCKING TEs.

I think we should be a little more cautious on what OB looks for. We really have very little to go on. How much involvement did he have with the Patriots' draft picks? Akin to JJ Watt and Wade we don't know that just because someone was drafted they were his first choice. Also not sure I would characterize Hernandez as a blocking TE. At Penn St. the reality is he had a constrained pool to select from due to circumstances.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout

I'm not surprised, looking at the latest picture and Teddy's new found physique, he will need more time to coordinate all those new muscles. 20 lbs of new muscle will have a profound effect on his timing and accuracy.

I'm not surprised, looking at the latest picture and Teddy's new found physique, he will need more time to coordinate all those new muscles. 20 lbs of new muscle will have a profound effect on his timing and accuracy.

Will be interesting to see if the mass makes his sporadically side-armed delivery worse.

2nd fastest 10 yard split by OL: Eric Winston
3rd fastest 40 yard dash by OL: Richie Incognito

Expecting these to fall today.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Khalil Mack's rounded measurements: 6'3/251 lbs. 33 1/4" arms and 10 1/4" hands.

Anthony Barr's rounded measurements: 6'5"/255 lbs. 33 1/2" arms and 9 3/8" hands.

Aaron Donald's rounded measurements: 6'1/285. 32 5/8" arms and 9 7/8" hands.

Jackson Jeffcoat's rounded measurements: 6'3/247 lbs. 33 7/8" arms and 9 5/8" hands.

Justin Ellis' rounded measurements: 6'1/334. 33" arms and 10 1/8" hands. Dropped 8 pounds since Senior Bowl.

Ego Ferguson's rounded measurements: 6'3/315 lbs. 32 1/2" arms and 10 3/4" hands.

Jeoffrey Pagan's rounded measurements: 6'3/310 lbs. 33" arms and 9 5/8" hands.

Michael Sam's rounded measurements: 6'2/261 lbs. 33 3/8" arms and 9 3/8" hands.

Kyle Van Noy's rounded measurements: 6'-3/243 lbs 31 5/8" arms and 9 5/8" hands

Yawin Smallwood's rounded measurements: 6'2/246 lbs. 31 3/4" arms and 9 1/2" hands.

LSU DT Anthony Johnson's rounded measurements: 6'2/308 lbs. 33" arms and 10 3/8" hands.

Cal LB Khairi Fortt's rounded measurements: 6'2/248 lbs. 33 5/8" arms and 10 1/8" hands.

Shayne Skov's rounded measurements: 6'2/245 lbs. 30 5/8" arms and 10" hands.

Ryan Shazier's rounded measurements: 6'1/237 lbs. 32 3/8" arms and 10" hands.

CJ Mosley's rounded measurements: 6'2/234 lbs. 33 3/8" arms and 10 3/4"

Telvin Smith weighed in at 218 lbs. Just like at the Senior Bowl.

Carl Bradford's rounded measurements: 6'1/250 lbs. 30 1/4" arms and 9 1/2" hands. Some will take note of that arm length.

Scott Crichton's rounded measurements: 6'3/273 lbs. 32 3/4" arms and 10 1/8" hands.

Stephon Tuitt's rounded measurements: 6'5/304 lbs. 34 3/4" arms and 10" hands.

Kelcy Quarles' rounded measurements: 6'4/297 lbs. 33 1/4" arms. 9 3/8" hands.

Louis Nix's rounded measurements: 6'2/331 lbs. 33" arms and 9 7/8" hands.

Demarcus Lawrence's rounded measurements: 6'3/251 lbs. 33 3/4" arms and 11" hands.

Aaron Lynch's rounded measurements: 6'5/249 lbs. 34" arms and 10 1/4" hands.

Timmy Jernigan's rounded measurements: 6'2/299 lbs. 31 5/8" arms and 9 5/8" hands.

Dominique Easley's rounded measurements: 6'2/288 lbs. 32 7/8" arms and 9 3/4" hands.

Kony Ealy's rounded measurements: 6'4/273 lbs. 34 1/4" arms and 9 1/2" hands.

Will Sutton's rounded measurements: 6.0/303. 31 1/4" arms. 10" hands

Morgan Moses for worst haircut/beard combo.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Charles Davis has heard Tiny Richardson might have to redshirt his first year due to medicals. "Some (teams) might not touch him"

Last edited:

I doubt that is the reason. I would be shocked if he has not been throwing a bunch since the season ended.

He is probably not throwing because lots of QBs dont throw at the combine.

Disappointing, but lets not go reading too much into this decision.

Clowney.....6'-5"....266 lbs....34 1/2" arm......10" hand
Barr...........6'-5"....255 lbs....33 1/2" arm......9 3/8" hand
Van Noy.....6'-3"....243 lbs....31 5/8" arm......9 5/8" hand
Smallwood..6'-2"....246 lbs....31 3/4" arm......9 1/2" hand
Skov..........6'-2"....245 lbs....30 5/8" arm......10" hand

Charles Davis has heard Tiny Richardson might have to redshirt his first year due to medicals. "Some (teams) might not touch him"
What would that be? Richardson didn't miss any games and is fully participating at the combine.

QBs Jeff Matthews 9, Bryn Renner 14, and Dustin Vaughan 18 throwing to TEs today.

Eric Ebron is done with hamstring tweak.

Troy Niklas isn't running 40 because he has a strain from earlier this week.

Which is highly probable if Charles Davis said it. That guy doesn't know jack.

In Charles defense, who I highly respect, he was quoting what he had heard from several different NFL personnel. One guy said this and one guy said that. One guy said he was a 1st RD pick and one guy said he was a medical redshirt.

Comparing Clowney's measurables to Watt's:

Clowney:
Height: 6'5 1/4
Weight: 266
Hands: 10
Arms: 34 1/2
Wingspan: 83

Watt:
Height: 6'5 3/8
Weight: 290
Hands: 11 1/8
Arms: 34
Wingspan: 82 1/2

In Charles defense, who I highly respect, he was quoting what he had heard from several different NFL personnel. One guy said this and one guy said that. One guy said he was a 1st RD pick and one guy said he was a medical redshirt.

I'm just picking on Charles. I respect his background but he just doesn't have it with scouting or analysis. He's wrong just about always.

Something like this where he is just passing along info would not be held against him.

I'm just picking on Charles. I respect his background but he just doesn't have it with scouting or analysis. He's wrong just about always.

Something like this where he is just passing along info would not be held against him.

Charles always takes the high road. I don't think I have ever heard him say an ill word about anyone. That can work against you in scouting and analysis.

This is the guy I'm very interested in. If he runs like I think he will he will shoot up draft boards.

This is the guy I'm very interested in. If he runs like I think he will he will shoot up draft boards.

general consensus is he's a mid to late 1st rd pick.

Charles always takes the high road. I don't think I have ever heard him say an ill word about anyone. That can work against you in scouting and analysis.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. Like I said, I really respect his background. I just think he's in over his head with this stuff.

"Dutch speedskating coach Jillert Anema gave an amazing interview to CNBC today featuring one of the best rants ever...

You have a lot of attention on a foolish sport like American football and you waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, on a sport that is meant to kill each other, to injure each other. … You’re so narrow-minded, and then you want to compete against the world [in other sports] when you waste a lot of time, good talent on a sport that sucks."

I thought that was an anemic rant.

A Dutchman lol

Figures

He's likely already off our board for character, but...
Taylor Lewan's puzzling comments
No player had a weirder press conference than Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan. Often smirking or even chuckling through answers, Lewan deflected questions...

I posted this yesterday and bring it forward to say I do not agree with the characterization the writer made of Lewan's attitude after seeing his NFL.com interview. He answered the questions, explained the situations, and seemed light-hearted and grateful. Liked him.

I was surprised his hands were only 9 1/2. You can tell by watching him play that he has very long arms. He could easily be a top 5 pick. Aldon Smith is a good comparison.

I was surprised his hands were only 9 1/2. You can tell by watching him play that he has very long arms. He could easily be a top 5 pick. Aldon Smith is a good comparison.

When I said shoot up draft boards this is what I meant. I could easily see him going top ten. I was also very surprised by his hand size. Good thing he won't be throwing the football.

Kony Ealy's rounded measurements: 6'4/273 lbs. 34 1/4" arms and 9 1/2" hands...If he runs like I think he will he will shoot up draft boards.

He already shooted well before the combine. :cowboy1:

Ryan McCrystal ‏@Ryan_McCrystal
Austin Seferian-Jenkins says he wasn't cleared medically to participate. Didn't say why. Didn't say when he might be cleared.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins dodging questions on NFL Network on why he didn't work out and when he will work out. He says "talk to my agent"
"Unsure about his pro day."

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
Sources tell me unlikely Seferian-Jenkins is healthy for a pro-day.

I'm told the injury which kept Austin-Seferian Jenkins from working out is a fracture in his foot.

Last edited:
I don't want Taylor Lewan. He's a disgusting human-being.

You wanna know more, google "Taylor Lewan threatens rape victim."

He has more than just on the field rage problems.

Cyrus Kouandjio had not so great day but tape shows otherwise.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.”

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
I have late 1st round grade on Cyrus Kouandjio, but no way to tell if knee issue is genuinely something teams are worried about.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Re: Kouandjio RT @brentsobleski: Genetic. Brother has chronic bad knees

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
WAY to early to say Kouandjio drops a lot because of knee. Every team will look at it differently. He didn't miss time and that's important

Louis Delmas also flunked some physicals because of arthritic knees. He went at top of 2nd and became a top NFL safety

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Lucas: Officially a stress fracture in his left foot

Bad news for OT Cornelius Lucas. Foot injury, out of the NFL Combine, 6-8 week rehab schedule

Last edited:
The question, does the Combine make any difference? See Cyrus Kouandjio. A consensus 1st rd pick at the start of the The Combine and after the 40, medicals and drills is out of the 1st rd with no real idea how far he could drop.

I don't want Taylor Lewan. He's a disgusting human-being.

You wanna know more, google "Taylor Lewan threatens rape victim."

He has more than just on the field rage problems.
Because there were never charges pressed, it's difficult to know what to believe. I think every team would have to make their own assessment.

Warning!!! Don't play a Taylor Lewan press conference drinking game where the buzz phrase is "play through the whistle". You will die of alcohol poisoning.

BhGy_pyCQAALSC_.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhGy_pyCQAALSC_.jpg

Who is this old man and why is he masquerading as an NFL prospect???

2014 NFL combine: Training firms go all-out optimizing prospects' results

Last edited:
Not really,but I think is brute power is questioned. I mean when u pick an ol as high as matthews is projected, you want him to be able to physically maul guys. From what I watched and now getting his numbers, he's looking like just a solid lt/rt. He won't be a bust, he'll be solid player,not all pro type.

Top 5 pick is supposed to be All-Pro.

The question, does the Combine make any difference? See Cyrus Kouandjio. A consensus 1st rd pick at the start of the The Combine and after the 40, medicals and drills is out of the 1st rd with no real idea how far he could drop.

Folks were talking about the drill portion of the combine.

Not really,but I think is brute power is questioned. I mean when u pick an ol as high as matthews is projected, you want him to be able to physically maul guys. From what I watched and now getting his numbers, he's looking like just a solid lt/rt. He won't be a bust, he'll be solid player,not all pro type.
The 2013 All Pro Tackles were Joe Thomas and Jason Peters. Would you consider either of those guys maulers?

Back