Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Bucky Brooks Sunday Winners & Losers

Not sure how not performing (TB) is worse than a poorish performance (Clowney) but there it is.

"Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: Bridgewater is considered the most pro-ready QB prospect by many evaluators, but his decision to bypass much of the workout has led to questions about his athleticism and arm talent. No throwing drills, no 40-yard dash, no 60-yard shuttle -- these voluntary absences have scouts wondering about his overall competitiveness. Bridgewater can certainly erase doubts by performing well at his personal workout, but questions about a possible diva-like attitude could linger."

So he opts out of the combine stuff and so now he is a diva?

So Clowney isn't doing field drills because of a hip-flexor. Then he runs the 40 and participates in the vertical jump. Does that make any sense?

OK, what non-lauditory word would y'all have chosen? I thought poorish was as mild a description as could be made.
The reality is it's average within a group of great players.

Y'all know you didn't give birth to these players right?
You've taken a much more passionate anti-Clowney stance than I have pro. I think he's clearly the biggest difference maker in this draft. And I've watched his every play in 2013 multiple times. Thing is he's very raw -- so much he can learn.

OB won't take him. Not with his separating himself from the other DLs out there. That's not a "team" mentality. You'll get to see him often, though... Clowney will be a Jaguar imo.

You've taken a much more passionate anti-Clowney stance than I have pro. I think he's clearly the biggest difference maker in this draft. And I've watched his every play in 2013 multiple times. Thing is he's very raw -- so much he can learn.

OB won't take him. Not with his separating himself from the other DLs out there. That's not a "team" mentality. You'll get to see him often, though... Clowney will be a Jaguar imo.

I'd rather Clowney be a Jaguar than Watkins.

No, reality is it puts him in the below average group and some great players have also been below average on that test.

Saying Clowney is not the unblemished freak of all time is hardly being passionately anti-Clowney. You won't hear negative word one from me if the Texans draft him. I will just be hoping the injury gamble pays off.

Am I alone in finding it strange that a guy claims he has a hip flexor injury but still goes out and completes the vertical jump with a smile?

Not an impressive combine from Michael Sam from a numbers standpoint. Only 4.8 40, 25 1/2" vert, 9.06" broad, and 17 reps.

I see lack of motivation as pretty much one of the biggest issues you can have (other than being a criminal). No person can teach another person who doesn't want to learn. All of the rah-rah motivation speeches in the world won't get a guy to move who's satisfied right where he is.

Here's a guy who was supposed to be an absolute physical freak. Then he comes to the combine lighter and weaker than expected. That shows a lack of dedication to the weight room.

His most recent tape shows him as a guy who's absolutely happy playing patty-cake with tackles and who stops running when the play is past him or away from him. And that's NOT the guy from his previous season(s) who was willing and able to run down running backs all the way down the field.

This guy has risk written all over him.

I think (& I don't want Clowney) once a big guy gets the "lacks motivation" tag, it's hard to shake. No matter who it is, once he gets that tag, there will be no shortage of "evidence" to support it. Nothing the guy can say, his coach, his teammates, his strength & conditioning coach, no one can say anything to shake it. The only thing he could have done, was go out & get more sacks. Didn't happen.

But I watched the guy & I saw a fast twitch, explosive mofo who everyone else said was taken plays off. I saw a guy who worked his tail off to drop 10 pounds & turn in an impressive combine... so far.

Guys talked about Mario taking plays off... but he still delivered (when he was healthy).

If I've got any issues with Clowney, it would be health related. How bad did those bone spurs lead to his lack of production in 2013 & is that what we have to look forward to in the NFL... ala Mario (who is still one of my favorite players).

Very impressive no doubt but why are people shocked? This guy was absolutely dominant in college. Of course he's going to test well.

I just didn't expect under 4.7. Somewhere in the 4.8s would have been good, but under 4.7? No, I didn't expect that.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Willie McGinest noting he, personally, had 16 sacks his junior year. 5 his senior year.

"The kid can flat out play football."

Mayock -- There isn't any team that didn't pay Clowney special attention this year, be it double team/chps/TEs on his head/trying to extend him out further, They did everything they could, so he affected the game even though the statistics don't show it.

As I had not heard that Nix would attend I was surprised to see him doing his thing at combine. Looked good on his knee but I still am hesitant to mock him if we get a trade with Browns.

UCLA LB prospect Anthony Barr just ran a 4.66 unofficial 40, basically 2 full tenths of a second slower than Clowneys performance. And Barr is considered one of the top 3-4 edge rushers in this years Draft, double digit sacks in 2013.

Its a luxury pick, but I'm very tempted if this guy or OBJ fall to us in the 2nd round.

I don't think there is such a thing as a luxury pick. Anything we can do to make this team better should be done. If that means we take a WR in the second round because they think he'll make our team better than any other player on the board..... you do it.

Not that you are, but we can't be thinking "We're set at WR" or TE, or OT or C or DE or LB..... We need to get the best talent available to us in the draft & fill holes with FA. If there aren't any good ILBs in this draft, we shouldn't take one because we need one. Take the best talent you can find in the draft & the hungriest, young ILB you can find in FA.

I have to admit, I am getting kind of tired of them talking about Michael Sam.

You've got LBers running 40s and they go to a panel to talk about Michael Sam, who they have been talking about all day. He didn't even have a good day. It's making this a lot less interesting to watch.

Love how pissed Jordan Zumwalt gets after his 40s. #@%&^$!!!

...3 cone drill most interesting for DL for me today. I don't expect him to do well in that drill.
Bingo, not a bender as we've seen...
Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN
Hearing that Clowney did run a 3-cone and that he was not pleased w/time. Need confirmation, so remain calm naysayers...

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
@LRiddickESPN 7.27
For reference, Watt did a 6.88 -- top 10 5 years.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Official LB 40s:
Kevin Pierre-Louis 4.51
Telvin Smith 4.52
Lamin Barrow 4.64
Kahlil Mack 4.65
Ronald Powell 4.65
Anthony Barr 4.66
Boseko Lokombo 4.66
Avery Williamson 4.66
Jordan Tripp 4.67
Adrian Hubbard 4.69

I have to admit, I am getting kind of tired of them talking about Michael Sam.

You've got LBers running 40s and they go to a panel to talk about Michael Sam, who they have been talking about all day. He didn't even have a good day. It's making this a lot less interesting to watch.

Yup. To me, his play on the field isn't all that great. He may get drafted, but I don't see him having much of a role. He's not even a "tweener", imo. He doesn't have the quickness of a 3-4 olb. I think he only played 50-60% of the plays for Mizzou.

Nope.

Other notable official 40s:

Van Noy: 4.71

Christian Jones: 4.74

Yawin Smallwood: 5.01 (think he tweaked a hamstring)

Trent Murphy: 4.86

Attaochu, Mosley, Skov did not run.

Yep, pulled his hamstring on his 1st run and is sitting out now. Sucks because he had a decent 10-yard split. Judging by his split I would guess a 4.70 or slightly higher if he doesn't pull up lame.

Wow!!!

That's why Ealy will be off the board early.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
That puts Ealy in OUTSTANDING company. 8 of top 10 for DL since 2006:
Acho, Irvin, Ingram, Mingo, Barwin, Watt, Robison, Taylor. Avril next.

Kony Ealy has the third best 3-cone time (6.83) among DLs since 2006. Tied with Melvin Ingram. That is outstanding.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Official 3-cone times:
Kony Ealy 6.83
Jeffcoat 6.97
Marsh 7.08
Donald 7.11
H Jones 7.16
Gayle 7.19
Crichton 7.19
Martin 7.20
Clowney 7.27

Kind of annoying how much they're talking up Clowney. Yes, he burned a great 40, but I didn't see freakish like I did with Mario. If he's the gold standard then we have quite a few god-like freaks on our hands this year. One of my early favorites and one of my late sleepers were right there with him...

Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina)
Size: 6-5, 266
Arm: 34 (1/2)
40-Time: 4.53
10-Yard: 1.56
Bench: 21 reps
Vertical: 37.5
Broad: 10-4
3-Cone: 7.27

Kareem Martin (North Carolina)
Size: 6-6, 272
Arm: 35
40-Time: 4.72
10-Yard: 1.53
Bench: 22 reps
Vertical: 35.5
Broad: 10-9
3-Cone: 7.20

Larry Webster (Bloomsburgh)
Size: 6-6, 252
Arm: 33 (1/2)
40-Time: 4.58
10-Yard: 1.57
Bench: 17 reps
Vertical: 36.5
Broad: 10-3
3-Cone: 7.29

Kind of annoying how much they're talking up Clowney. Yes, he burned a great 40, but I didn't see freakish like I did with Mario. If he's the gold standard then we have quite a few god-like freaks on our hands this year. One of my early favorites and one of my late sleepers were right there with him...

Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina)
Size: 6-5, 266
Arm: 34 (1/2)
40-Time: 4.53
10-Yard: 1.56
Bench: 21 reps
Vertical: 37.5
Broad: 10-4
3-Cone: 7.27

Kareem Martin (North Carolina)
Size: 6-6, 272
Arm: 35
40-Time: 4.72
10-Yard: 1.53
Bench: 22 reps
Vertical: 35.5
Broad: 10-9
3-Cone: 7.20

Larry Webster (Bloomsburgh)
Size: 6-6, 252
Arm: 33 (1/2)
40-Time: 4.58
10-Yard: 1.57
Bench: 17 reps
Vertical: 36.5
Broad: 10-3
3-Cone: 7.29

I'm looking at Kareem Martin as a Antonio replacement. Should be in the 4th round at 4-1.

I've got Kareem Martin going in the 2nd round. The demand for pass rushers his size is too high and he has the production and athleticism to make somebody pull the trigger.

Three year starter. Got on the field early and often at a program that has been putting out a ton of defensive talent lately.
SO - 40 tackles, 7 TFL, 4 sacks, 6 PD
JR - 40 tackles, 16 TFL, 4 sacks, 1 FF, 3 PD (2nd team all conference)
SR - 82 tackles, 22 TFL, 12 sacks, 1 FF (1st team all conference)

I'm looking at Kareem Martin as a Antonio replacement. Should be in the 4th round at 4-1.

Personally, I think he's gone in the 2nd or early 3rd.

I love Martin. His athleticism doesn't translate to pure pass rushing like Clowney, but he's great against the run. I prefer him as a 4-3 SDE, but wouldn't be against using him as a 3-4 DE either. Him and Watt would be a very athletic duo up front.

Thought this was funny and true of a lot of us.

I was reading up on Caraun Reid, who I quite like as a late round DE prospect for us.

fanatialyankee.com said:
Please Note: This and all Evaluations issued by this Site are produced by a ludicrously unqualified Amateur, privy to not even the tiniest fraction of Coach's Tape, Scouting Expertise, Face to Face Interviewing, Experience, or Inside Information enjoyed by the Professionals. As such, anything put forth is certainly misinformed, euphonious, derivative Tripe, and should be rejected out'f hand and indeed shunned by all men of Good Will!!

Personally, I think he's gone in the 2nd or early 3rd.

I love Martin. His athleticism doesn't translate to pure pass rushing like Clowney, but he's great against the run. I prefer him as a 4-3 SDE, but wouldn't be against using him as a 3-4 DE either. Him and Watt would be a very athletic duo up front.

Hmm... well I would have no qualms at taking him at 3-1. Experience and athleticism is a good package.

On another note, what do you think of Lamin Barrow at ILB? What round do you have him going? Most people seem to think he's a 4th round talent or so.

Hmm... well I would have no qualms at taking him at 3-1. Experience and athleticism is a good package.

On another note, what do you think of Lamin Barrow at ILB? What round do you have him going? Most people seem to think he's a 4th round talent or so.

I think he's somewhat underrated. Gets knocked for his size despite being roughly the same size and Kuechly. Very athletic. I peg him at 3rd-4th round. I think he's a 4-3 MLB or WLB though. Don't really like him in a 3-4.

Back