Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Vikings RB Dalvin Cook sustained a torn left ACL.............#36 since the beginning of TC / #38 since the beginning of the League year.

Although his knee injury is not characterized as yet, Arizona LB Marcus Golden certainly looks to me as if he sustained at least an ACL. MRI to be done today.

Although his knee injury is not characterized as yet, Arizona LB Marcus Golden certainly looks to me as if he sustained at least an ACL. MRI to be done today.
Markus Golden did suffer a torn ACL..................#37 since the beginning of TC / #39 since the beginning of the League year.

NFL could eliminate rule prohibiting rookies from practice field until school year ends
Posted by Charean Williams on October 3, 2017, 6:56 PM EDT

Solomon Thomas and Christian McCaffrey complained this spring about an “extremely annoying” NFL rule that keeps rookies off the field until their colleges’ school year ends, whether they are enrolled or not. The NFL and the American Football Coaches Association apparently agree.

They are “on the verge” of changing the “May 16 Rule” for the 2018 offseason, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Media.

The league’s competition committee heard the plan during a conference call Tuesday, per Pelissero, though no vote is required to change it.

The current rule allows all rookies to participate in rookie minicamps, but players whose schools remain in session are prohibited from other activities until final exams are completed. Many of those affected, including Thomas and McCaffrey, are from the Pac-12.

McCaffrey said this spring the rule “sucks,” and Thomas called it “extremely annoying” and “frustrating.”

Under the new rule, all rookies could join their teams at a mutually agreed upon date, on or around May 16, per Pelissero. A rookie still enrolled in classes would receive time to complete final exams, while graduate students and those who have completed coursework could fully participate in offseason activities.

The new rule will prohibit teams from making offseason activities mandatory for players who remain in school.

The NFL implemented the rule in 1990 “to protect student-athletes who have remained in school to complete their schoolwork,” according to the league’s football operations website. Players from Stanford, Washington, Northwestern, Oregon, Oregon State and UCLA, which had exams after June 1, were affected this spring, according to Pelissero.

Reactions: JB
OG Donavon Clark has been waived/injured, reclaimed and placed on IR by the Chargers for a knee injury that he sustained in the 2017 2nd preseason game. At the time, it was reported as an "undisclosed knee injury." Clark tore his ACL during the team's 2nd preseason game in 2016, but was cleared to take part in TC to begin the new year. Unfortunately it appears that his recent injury is a rupture of his previously repaired ACL for which he will be undergoing surgery today...................#38 since the beginning of TC / #40 since the beginning of the League year.

I have always suspected (and posted this suspicion in the past) that some of the "undisclosed" knee injuries that have led to the player being placed on IR are indeed ACL ruptures that for whatever reasons the team/player would prefer keep hidden.

Andrew Luck says he’ll definitely play this season
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 4, 2017, 4:01 PM EDT

Colts quarterback Andrew Luck says his 2017 debut is a matter of “when,” not “if.”

Luck threw to teammates on the practice field for the first time all year today, and although his surgically repaired shoulder still needs more time to heal, he says he is certain he will play this season.

Still, Luck acknowledged that he’s not there yet.

“I’ve got work to do to get to a level where I feel comfortable going out there and whipping every throw,” Luck said.

Luck said he’s “surrounded by really good people” and “very encouraged” with his progress. He said there have been no setbacks, but at the same time there’s no real schedule for his recovery so he can’t say whether he’s on schedule or not. Luck doesn’t know for sure whether it’s another couple weeks or another couple months before he plays again, but he says he’s positive it will be before the end of the 2017 season.
********************************************************************************************************************

The time keeps getting pushed forward further. I cannot see him playing in a game in Oct. From the beginning, I was always skeptical about the minimized damage to his shoulder that has been reported...........and the predicted return. Just as he and the Colts vowed that he would be ready for TC, he vows to play this season. I have my doubts as to if we do see Luck this season.........we actually see Luck this season..........

Watching the now infamous "women talking about routes" press conference, Newton definitely appears to be under the influence of something or maybe he was a bit loopy from a potential concussion. He doesn't look right at all with the way he was swaying, smiling, etc.

Watching the now infamous "women talking about routes" press conference, Newton definitely appears to be under the influence of something or maybe he was a bit loopy from a potential concussion. He doesn't look right at all with the way he was swaying, smiling, etc.

Hard not to look like a bobblehead with that much ego strapped to the top of your neck..

As he has had a severe high ankle sprain to begin with and I felt that he came back too early (only after 4 weeks), Beckham's injury looked to me just like a Martin injury..........high ankle ligament tear/fracture.

Last edited:
HOFer Y.A. Tittle has died at the age of 90..........I'll never forget this picture............may he RIP.

Y.A. Tittle: The man behind the iconic image

i

Tittle kneels in the endzone at Pitt Stadium after being sacked in a 1964 game he and the Giants lost 27-24. He retired from professional football the next year. Morris Berman/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
1:30 PM CT
  • Seth WickershamESPN Senior Writer

The picture was tucked away, but it always stood out. It was in the trophy room of Y.A. Tittle's house just south of San Francisco. The room was painted red, and there were dozens of trophies, a handful of old footballs, so dry they seemed chapped, and on the wall, next to his four framed Sports Illustrated covers and his Hall of Fame plaque, was the picture for which Tittle is most famous: of him helmet-less and on his knees, having thrown an interception that was returned for a touchdown by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sept. 20, 1964, with streams of blood trickling down the topography of his forehead and cheek, a picture that not only forever framed Tittle as the embodiment of a broken warrior but also forever romanticized NFL players as broken down warriors. That picture could have been of anyone, his fate theirs, before we knew of the various agonies that would attend the post-playing life. The iconography of football pain isn't what it used to be. On a Sunday marked and marred by injury extreme by even NFL standards, of Odell Beckham Jr. in tears as he was carted away and of J.J. Watt almost in tears as he was too, Yelberton Abraham Tittle died at the age of 90, surrounded by family, friends, and the songs he loved, leaving us an old image as impossible to ignore as the new ones on our screens. THE REST OF THE STORY

Colts WR Krishawn Hogan suffered a torn ACL against the 49ers..................#39 since the beginning of TC / #41 since the beginning of the League year.

Did the Jacksonville Jaguars make a big trade for Eli Manning? Or was that just a big rumor floating around? I came home kind of late. The Jaguars have Tom Coughlin as their executive vice president of football operations after all. I'm sure he'd love to have Eli Manning there. That would be a tremendous upgrade over Blake Bortles. Eli is a two-time Super Bowl champion and a future Hall of Famer, IMO.

Did the Jacksonville Jaguars make a big trade for Eli Manning? Or was that just a big rumor floating around? I came home kind of late. The Jaguars have Tom Coughlin as their executive vice president of football operations after all. I'm sure he'd love to have Eli Manning there. That would be a tremendous upgrade over Blake Bortles. Eli is a two-time Super Bowl champion and a future Hall of Famer, IMO.

Naw, all rumors thus far. Would be a decent fit though; reuniting Eli and Coughlin...plus Bortles blows ass.

NFL: Ezekiel Elliott’s suspension begins immediately
Posted by Josh Alper on October 12, 2017, 6:10 PM EDT

The NFL won a court battle on Thursday when a three-judge panel from the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 that the injunction blocking the league’s six-game suspension of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott must be vacated.

That allowed the NFL to reinstate the suspension and the league announced in a statement that they are doing just that. The Cowboys are on a bye this week, so Elliott’s suspension would run through their Thanksgiving game.

“Earlier today, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals vacated the preliminary injunction that prohibited the league from imposing the six-game suspension issued to Ezekiel Elliott for a violation of the Personal Conduct Policy. The Court also directed the district court to dismiss the union’s lawsuit which was filed on Elliott’s behalf. As a result, Elliott’s suspension will begin effective immediately. Elliott is eligible to return to the team on Friday, November 24 following the Cowboys’ Thursday, November 23 game against the Los Angeles Chargers.”

There are options for Elliott to continue the legal fight and there’s been no indication that he plans to drop it, so the suspension may not ultimately play out in the manner the league laid out on Thursday.

If Ezekiel Elliot had served the 6-game suspension when it was first announced. Wouldn't he be close to coming back by now? He'd only have one more game left on the suspension before being cleared to come back in a couple of games.

Instead he may ruin the Cowboys playoff chances in 2017. They're a 2-3 team right now. I think they could have gone 2-3 without him just the same. In fact I thought he played lousy in two of those losses and he even quit on some plays. Losing him for six games now will likely cause them to go 1-5 or 2-4 now. Hurting their playoff chances. Even though they have some weaker teams on their schedule.

Elliot made a huge mistake. It's hard for me to cheer for the Dallas Cowboys (my 2nd favorite NFL team - were my #1 team from 1997 to 2001) knowing a player like him is on the roster. But he needs to man up and accept the consequences. Stop trying to fight the suspension. You did wrong. Now pay the price and get it over with. Come back a better man and learn from your mistakes.

Last edited:
Is it finally time for the Browns to trade Joe Thomas?
October 14, 2017, 11:16 AM EDT

With the Browns at 0-5 and the trade deadline 17 days away, it’s time to fire up the Annual Joe Thomas Trade Rumors.

“I’m surprised it hasn’t started already,” Thomas said during a visit last month to PFT Live. “I’m sure you’ve been stirring the pot a little bit. No, I look forward to that trade deadline every year because then I can stop answering the question about do you want to be traded or do you think you’re gonna get traded?”

That question hasn’t emerged yet this year. But as the Browns continue to lose games and Thomas continues to pile up seasons without a shot at the postseason, it’s inevitable.

A trade nearly happened two years ago, with the Broncos coming close to doing a deal for the former top-three draft pick and future Hall of Famer. This year, teams like the Seahawks could/should be interested in adding Thomas in order to shore up questionable blocking units. (Indeed, Seattle has been flirting with free agent Branden Albert, confirming what everyone knows — the line needs help.)

Injuries over the next few weeks could create a need elsewhere. Ongoing losses by the Browns could make a potential move even more of a no-brainer.

Thomas has a salary of $8.8 million this year and $8.8 million in 2018, the final season of his contract.
The 2017 window for trading him closes on the Tuesday after Week Eight, which this year coincides with Halloween.

Given Cleveland’s current obsession with going young and stockpiling picks, it’s odd that the team hasn’t tried harder to move Thomas. It could be that the powers-that-be realize Thomas is one of the few selling points that the franchise can use to attract and keep fans as the organization tries to work its way back to relevance.

Luke Kuechly avoided concussion against Eagles, per sources
8:37 AM CT
  • Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer
The Carolina Panthers do not believe that Luke Kuechly suffered another concussion even though the star linebacker remains in the concussion protocol, league sources told ESPN.

The Panthers announced Sunday that Kuechly remains in the protocol and needs to go through a series of steps before being cleared to play. The concussion protocol requires a player to pass five levels of tests before he is cleared.

But all tests conducted on Kuechly since Thursday night's loss to the Philadelphia Eagles have not revealed another concussion, sources said.

Kuechly entered the concussion protocol Thursday after he collided with Eagles guard Brandon Brooks and hurt his shoulder and neck, but he was at the team's training facility Friday and felt fine, according to those around him.

"It's always encouraging, not just from a standpoint of Luke getting back on the field, but with his health," Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks told reporters Friday. "It's good to know he was feeling a lot better today, in good spirits and being his old self. I'm excited about that."

Kuechly's availability for next Sunday's game at Chicago isn't guaranteed, but for now, the Panthers are assuming he will be able to play, sources said.

Many around the league had assumed Kuechly had suffered another concussion after he left Thursday's game and the team announced he was in the protocol. Kuechly missed the final six games last season with a concussion, and he has had at least two in the past two years.

******************************************************************************************

By the mere structure of the NFL Concussion Protocol, this should essentially be an impossibility. If he met the criteria for entry into the Protocol, he had a concussion........period. Someone is just screwing around with the information to have Kuechly avoid the proper lengthier observation period required after a 3rd concussion in 3 seasons.

[EDIT: This story has been changed from its original, which reported that Kuechly had already passed the Protocol..........wonder why they didn't leave up the original piece??? :kitten:]

Last edited:
Back