Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

That young man was cool calm and collective. Even the commentators brought that up several times. Nobody could tell if he was rattled. Lol
He wasn’t rattled; he just was not comfortable the way he was at Alabama.

If you put on the tapes side by side; you'll see the difference.

I remember it all because I watched so many game tapes of Bryce Young each many times over.
I saw this during the game, and I said "what the heck; did he get a concussion from the previous play or what?"

Again, not something I ever saw

Same play

That is not a figure of speech brother. That’s a declaration of you saying you put the tapes up side by side to make that comparison.
Look at the first play.
He threw the ball to an empty space
No receiver was running any route in that area.

Watch the plays around the 1:05 and the 3:00-min mark.
He missed the receiver on the deeper route right in the same direction of the short route.

There were also several passes that were not accurate at all, even when he was not pressured.

The Browns have not released the extent of Chubb's injury. But it appears that almost immediately after the knee dislocation, the knee popped back into position. This is what accounted for avoiding potentially devastating nerve and vascular damage. As I posted in-game, the injury was a multi-ligament injury. The knee ligaments include the ACL, the PCL, the MCL, and the LCL...............undoutedly at least 3 would have been torn.............and it would not surprise me if all 4 were ruptured. No doubt additional meniscus and articular cartilage damage has also occurred.

Keeping in mind that the same knee sustained major injuries in the past makes me feel that this is not something Chubbs can come back from.

This hasn't gone unnoticed by anyone..........hopefully the target becomes that much bigger on psycho who essentially said "I didn't shove" anyone.

The failure to eject Deshaun Watson ultimately traces to money
Published September 20, 2023 01:01 PM

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson should have been sent to the showers prematurely for shoving an official on Monday night. The NFL justified the failure to eject him with a statement that doesn’t mesh with the video.

So why wasn’t he ejected?

An unnamed club employee “who works with rules” made this observation to Kalyn Kahler of TheAthletic.com.

“The language is very clear on this,” the source said. “Error was on the league office not calling in the ejection because that’s their standard and up to them to police it equally.”

The source is right. The pipeline from 345 Park Avenue to the stadium allows the league office to direct officials to eject players who deserve to be ejected. Watson should have been, but he wasn’t.

“You talk about ‘scripted,’” another unnamed team source told Kahler. “This is why. [Because] they don’t enforce rules fairly.”

They don’t. In this case, they didn’t want to eject a starting quarterback from a prime-time, standalone game.

The NFL should have a firewall between its business considerations and its football operations. It doesn’t, as demonstrated last year by the candid connection made between aggressive enforcement of the roughing-the-passer rule and TV ratings premised on starting quarterbacks being available to play.

If Watson had been ejected, plenty of people might have changed the channel, or whatever the cord-cutters do when switching from one show to another. And so, if anyone else on the Browns had done what Watson did, that player would have been ejected. But not the starting quarterback.

That’s the explanation. The rules take a back seat to the big mamoo. It shouldn’t be that way. It just is.

Section 12-3-1-e of the NFL rulebook

“Under no circumstance is a player allowed to shove, push, or strike an official in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike manner. The player shall be disqualified from the game, and any such action must be reported to the Commissioner.”

I was asked if Nick Chubbs would be able to return at the beginning of next season.............My answer?.............NO!!!!..............then when?...............this being his 2nd left knee dislocation, IF he is very fortunate to return at all, he would not be able to try to do so before 2025.

I was asked if Nick Chubbs would be able to return at the beginning of next season.............My answer?.............NO!!!!..............then when?...............this being his 2nd left knee dislocation, IF he is very fortunate to return at all, he would not be able to try to do so before 2025.

The perils of playing in the NFL. It's sad, but a very big reality. My biggest concern, did he bank and invest his money for a rainy day? He should retire while he still has a chance to walk b/c his rainy day has arrived.

The perils of playing in the NFL. It's sad, but a very big reality. My biggest concern, did he bank and invest his money for a rainy day? He should retire while he still has a chance to walk b/c his rainy day has arrived.
Should the hit that injured Nick Chubb be made illegal?

The hit that ended Browns running back Nick Chubb’s is legal. Should it be?

It’s something Chris Simms and I addressed on PFT Live the morning after a submarine hit from Steelers safety Minkah Fitzpatrick blew out Chubb’s knee. Whether it was or dirty is subjective; whether it was legal is objective.

It is perfectly legal. Ball carriers can be hit any which way the defender chooses, as long as the defender does not lower his helmet and make forcible contact with it.
Fitzpatrick did not do that. He made a legal tackle. But should that tackle be legal?

A decade ago, it wouldn’t have been a question. But as the NFL became obsessive about blows to the head of pass throwers and pass catchers, other players started to complain that the league doesn’t care about knees. The league, possibly motivated in part by the desire to justify the push for more regular-season games, began to limit the situations in which a player could go low when striking another player.

When it comes to getting a ball carrier onto the ground, it’s still legal to aim for the knees. It’s one of the reasons the running back position is so dangerous, so demanding. So unforgiving. Running backs are like giant magnets rolling through a warehouse full of anvils, and the anvils come flying at the magnet from every possible angle.

In Chubb’s case, Fitzpatrick came in low as Chubb was engaged high. The easy tweak to the rulebook would be to prevent all contact below the waist when the ball carrier is engaged above the waist by a would-be tackler. It would be the same concept behind the chop block, which prevents a player from cutting a defensive player who is engaged in an above-the-waist block.

Whether that happens remains to be seen. The formal, annual effort to look at the rules is months away. Will the NFL or the NFL Players Association prioritize a potential discussion on whether a change like this should be made?
While it won’t help Nick Chubb, it could prevent similar injuries in the future.

Lazy at-the-knee shoulder/body bump "tackles" as opposed to wrap tackles are just as dangerous to the RB as helmets to the knees...........poor "tackling" technique to begin with, leading to increased serious carrier knee injuries.

Giants RB Saquon Barkley’s right ankle injury has been reported as a low ankle sprain with quick return. The problem is that he actually suffered a high ankle sprain.......an injury that is sure to haunt him the rest of the season. This is not his first. Injuries have followed him with multiple low ankle sprains, ACL, MCL........

Must have been that broken foot he had in college... :kitten:

giphy.gif

Giants RB Saquon Barkley’s right ankle injury has been reported as a low ankle sprain with quick return. The problem is that he actually suffered a high ankle sprain.......an injury that is sure to haunt him the rest of the season. This is not his first. Injuries have followed him with multiple low ankle sprains, ACL, MCL........

SMH

NFL: Trent Williams wasn’t ejected because we couldn’t determine he used a closed fist
By Josh Alper
Published September 22, 2023 06:20 AM

49ers left tackle Trent Williams appeared to punch Giants defensive lineman A’Shawn Robinson during an altercation shortly before halftime on Thursday night, but Williams and Robinson received offsetting unnecessary roughness penalties and Williams was not ejected from the game.

After the game, NFL senior vice president of officiating Walt Anderson spoke to pool reporter Matt Barrows of TheAthletic.com about why the league did not disqualify Williams. Anderson said league officials reviewed the video of the incident and “couldn’t confirm that 100 percent from the standpoint of was it truly a closed fist with a strike.”

“When we have a flag thrown on the field for unnecessary roughness, members of the officiating department are able to review available video, Rule 19, to determine if there is a flagrant action that should result in a disqualification,” Anderson said. “We ended up looking at the video we had available to us, and we just didn’t see anything that rose to the level of flagrant, which is the standard that we have to apply to disqualify the player.”

Williams said he gave Robinson a “love tap” when he spoke to reporters after the game and said he doesn’t expect to be fined.

Back