Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Draft 2010: Day 1

dre-1.jpg

Best draft day ever! :jam:

Stupid question:If you are #1, could you sign a player before the draft and then draft another player in the #1 spot? If you did that, would that give you 2 #1 picks?!

It's Christmas day for all hard-core NFL fans (well, except Panther and Bears fans). Here's hoping we get all cool stuff and no clothes.

Just for the record, I'll throw in my dream selection for the Texans, and go a little off the reservation and say Maurkice Pouncey (and yeah, I realize there's like next to no chance it's gonna happen).

A lot of #1 picks overall have been announced early, because they did have a contract done before the draft. Bradford has come out and said he will not sign before the draft, because there is still a chance someone can trade up to get him (doubtful, but technically still possible) and because he wants more money. I would not be surprised to see him hold out Russell style (you see how good that did the Raiders LOL).

As for the Texans, I really hope its a DB. I still think that getting a ballhawking saftey (Thomas) or a solid number 1 corner could do us a world of good. I am not sold on Matthews, so I really hope that does not happen. I am all for whatever his name is from Tenn in the third.

Edit: Forgot about the worst case scenario: Spiller. If the whole point of getting a RB to carry the load is that slaton can't take so many hits every season, why would we want another fast RB who can only take about 20 carries a game at 198 lbs. Plus, anyone compared to Reggie Bush is a big red flag for me.

Edit: Forgot about the worst case scenario: Spiller. If the whole point of getting a RB to carry the load is that slaton can't take so many hits every season, why would we want another fast RB who can only take about 20 carries a game at 198 lbs. Plus, anyone compared to Reggie Bush is a big red flag for me.

I agree with this 1000%. I do not want us to get Spiller at all. He just does not make sense as a 1st round pick for the Texans.

So.... was watching college highlights for Foster and Hardesty. How much of an upgrade would Hardesty really be? Honest question as I know alot are high on Montario. Don't get me wrong, I like him too... just wondering what the opinions are. I know Montarios 40 is a bit faster.

Arian Foster Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfvypWLokk

vs.

Montario Hardesty Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=uJJiHPqy8xE&feature=related

I really don't want Hardesty. Injury history is troubling. And not much of an upgrade over Foster

I'm not sure if this comparison has been made but doesn't Dez Bryant remind you of the situation Mike Williams was in? Both WRs didn't play the year before getting drafted and Williams as we all know was a complete bust.

I feel like Dez might be the next Mike Williams...

I really don't want Hardesty. Injury history is troubling. And not much of an upgrade over Foster

Just recently I have been thinking along these lines.... and most likely the Texans have been for a while now.

I agree with this 1000%. I do not want us to get Spiller at all. He just does not make sense as a 1st round pick for the Texans.

Spiller will run between the tackles willingly unlike Reggie Bust. Spiller outstrips Bust in all categories except Hype.

Don't know if this was posted yet, I just saw this over at clutchfans.

The Dallas Morning News' Rick Gosselin annually puts out the nation's most accurate mock draft, and agrees with Schefter's projection. It appears teams are souring on Clausen at the worst possible time for his stock. Other interesting picks from Gosselin's Thursday morning mock: Brandon Graham to the Jags at No. 10, Demaryius Thomas to the Dolphins at No. 12, Ryan Mathews to Seattle at No. 14, and C.J. Spiller falling to the Texans at No. 20.

A lot of #1 picks overall have been announced early, because they did have a contract done before the draft. Bradford has come out and said he will not sign before the draft, because there is still a chance someone can trade up to get him (doubtful, but technically still possible) and because he wants more money. I would not be surprised to see him hold out Russell style (you see how good that did the Raiders LOL).

As for the Texans, I really hope its a DB. I still think that getting a ballhawking saftey (Thomas) or a solid number 1 corner could do us a world of good. I am not sold on Matthews, so I really hope that does not happen. I am all for whatever his name is from Tenn in the third.

How many carries/touches a game did DeAngelo Williams and Chris Johnson get? They're not built like Steven Jackson.

The fact is that Spiller has the skills to make a huge impact in our running game. He runs outside, he can hit holes up the middle, he can catch, he can return kicks if we need him to. If he and Slaton and Foster or whatever Goalline back we draft (please, God!) split, then nobody has to take too much beating over the course of a season.

If that's the WORST case scenario, I'll take it any draft day.

Again, I am starting to get a bit worried that Ryan Mathews will not be there at 20 and we have to hope another target of ours is there in 2 or 3.

Again, I am starting to get a bit worried that Ryan Mathews will not be there at 20 and we have to hope another target of ours is there in 2 or 3.

Strangely enough I am worried Mathews will be there and the Texans will draft him....

One of us is going to be sorely disappointed.

I just don't see why we need two smallish backs. But, if the Texans take Spiller, I sure as hell hope he works out. The last thing the Texans need to do with their schedule this year is miss on their 1st round pick.

If we decide RB in round 1, Ryan Mathews is my pick even with Spiller on the board. I just like the physical syle of Mathews over the scat back in Spiller. Mathews + Slaton is a better all around combo than Spiller + Slaton.

If we decide RB in round 1, Ryan Mathews is my pick even with Spiller on the board. I just like the physical syle of Mathews over the scat back in Spiller. Mathews + Slaton is a better all around combo than Spiller + Slaton.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I'd rather them take a DB or NT in the first round though.

The worst part of this is, we've got about another 8 1/2 to 9 hours left to debate it. LOL

I feel really prepared for the draft this year.

All the mocking we have been doing on here has me familiar with more prospects than ever.

No doubt that will all be for nought, when they draft some guy I've never heard of in the 4th round.

There are multiple scenarios under which I would leave the first round happy, the one I wouldn't be happy with is us taking Mathews at 20 or higher (trade up).

YES, I am preparing to be disappointed and looking forward to being proven wrong.

I am completely on board with you on this. My top three needs in order are here:

1. CB/FS
2. G/C/DT
3. RB

If we take Matthews in the first, I wont exactly be pissed but I will definately be upset. I think there will be a great G/C/DT there for us to take.

I WONT be upset if we trade up to get Earl Thomas though. That guy is legit.

I am completely on board with you on this. My top three needs in order are here:

1. CB/FS
2. G/C/DT
3. RB

If we take Matthews in the first, I wont exactly be pissed but I will definately be upset. I think there will be a great G/C/DT there for us to take.

I WONT be upset if we trade up to get Earl Thomas though. That guy is legit.

People may be underestimating the CB depth in this draft. We still have great options in the 3rd.

My needs fall out like this:

1. RB
2. CB
3. Interior OL
4. FS
5. DT

I'd prefer to pick RB and CB in the first 2 rounds but sometimes the board doesn't fall the way you want it to. If the right DT, FS, or OL is sitting there and the right RB/CB's aren't, then we do what we have to do.

I prefer Mathews over Spiller for our situation. But I wouldn't mind Tate or Gerhart. I don't have a good feeling about Dwyer and I don't know why people are liking Hardesty. Hardesty looks like fail to me. I like Mathews in the first but I'm not going to be heartbroken if we go another direction.

I think there are going to be CBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that will be able to improve our CB corp and possibly step in as starters and be improvements over DR.

Unfortunately, I think the creme of the FS and DT/NT crop is going to be going in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and our other needs may force us to miss taking some players that we really could use.

Mayock is reporting Philly is trying to move up into the 10 to fourteen range to take Earl Thomas. Adios Earl.

And something is going on with Tebow..several sources are saying he is going in the first. Clausen looks to be in a free fall.

I feel like we ought to find a site that allows you to make your own mock draft and all put our own together to see who gets the most right

Mayock is reporting Philly is trying to move up into the 10 to fourteen range to take Earl Thomas. Adios Earl.

And something is going on with Tebow..several sources are saying he is going in the first. Clausen looks to be in a free fall.

Boy do I hope you are wrong.

I am starting to warm up to Taylor Mays in the first, Gerhart in the second...

Taylor Mays is the exact opposite of a ball hawk. he had like 4 picks in 4 years. He is a great athlete, and can really lay a hit on someone, but thats why we have pollard.

LZ predicting the Texans are trying to trade up.

Link

Also, I could easily see Singletary falling in love with Tebow and taking him in the 1st.

What if we can get McFadden for a 3rd round pick?

No. Would you rather have an oft injured veteran RB? Or a Ben Tate type RB that's fresh, cheap and more driven?

Boy do I hope you are wrong.

I wouldn't beleive a dang thing that's flying around right now. Too many teams throw bad info out there, so take everything you hear today with a HUGE grain of salt.

Taylor Mays is the exact opposite of a ball hawk. he had like 4 picks in 4 years. He is a great athlete, and can really lay a hit on someone, but thats why we have pollard.

Actually he had 5.

Troy Polumalu had 6 and he worked out ok for the steelers.

:tiphat:

I just think that his size, speed athleticism, and violence he plays with from the safety position are too hard to pass up at twenty...

In fact I would not be surprised if he was picked before our pick

in terms of who im hoping for (with 10 being almost close to tears with joy):

10- earl thomas
9- kyle wilson/devin mccourty
8- CJ Spiller
7.5- Ryan Mathews/Pouncey
7- Iupati
6- Mays

that being said i was in the 7-7.5 range last yr with cush when i shouldve been 11!

Stand up form your computer and slap yourself very very hard. Just so no to Mays. We have enough problems without going out of way to draft them.

I don't see all the problems that people speak of...I know he isn't the best guy in covg., but I think that he is a guy that could step in on day one and make his presence felt on defense...I think if they added Taylor Mays to the secondary it would add to the developing attitude and identity of the Defense...

And I don't think his covg is as big an issue as people think it will be....Once he gets to knocking snot bubbles into recievers coming across the field and running backs slipping past the first line of defense I think whatever fanbase he is playing for will be happy...JMO...

He is a physical specimen at the FS position and from this regimes past history it seems like the Texans like those kind of prospects...

Back